Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2021 8:53:20 PM EDT
I have a 94 FZJ80 Land Cruiser, well built with all the armor, M12000 Warn, front and rear lockers, Marlin gears and all that crap. I used to do a lot of real off road but mostly now use it to get me in the back country up in Montana and other remote areas. Still can get into some pretty tough stuff. Thing is it is also my daily driver and i put about 20,000 miles a year on it. Drive it cross county a few times a year. I have been running Mud tires the last few sets and think it is time for a good AT. I am hopping they will last a little better, not cup as bad, balance easier, better in standing water and snow on the road. I know they wont be good in deep mud but should still do well aired down on rocks i hope.

Falken Wildpeak A/T3 come very highly recommended and i am about to pull the trigger on them. But then i saw the Cooper ST Maxx is the same price. I know a lot of people that really loved the Cooper a few years back. Anyone have an opinion on how these tires stack up?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:56:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m going with the falkens
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:59:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Kind of in the same boat right now. Tossing the at/ko's for good I think. Used to wheel a good amount but sold both rigs and I'm not towing as much as I used to. Ran mainly TSL's on both, with XML's on one for a few years. I'm looking to move to 37's on the F-250 that is also my work truck. Looking at the same two tires and possibly others, in for info.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:03:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I’d get the Coops.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:18:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I like Coopers.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out General Grabber ATx. I was very happy with them and I liked the price compared to its competitors.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:54:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Coops

I have 40k on this set on my Tundra, they have been phenomenal, to an easy 10k left to go at least.

Mine spend all summer in sugar sand while surf fishing, the fall on muddy, beat up mountain farm trails and get plenty of miles in upstate NY snow.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:37:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I got the falkens
So far so good
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:42:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Current Falken AT3 user and will be getting another set in the next couple weeks. I surpassed their mileage guarantee period.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:46:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I was debating the Falkens vs the Toyo's for my 3/4 ton coal burner. I am impressed with the Toyo's. Several here said Toyo buyers that bought Falkens switched back to Toyo.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:49:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a set of the Wild Peaks on a GMC 2500 HD 4x4. I’m in a lot of snow on gravel roads that usually aren’t plowed very often when I’m away from home. I’m very pleased with them in snow and on the highway. I think I have about 20k on them so far.

I also have a Z71 with Toyo A/T’s, can’t remember the rest of the name on the sidewall. I’ve got 55k on them, they still look and perform good. Same situation, in lots of snow right now in it.

I haven’t ran Coopers in 15+ yrs, but I’ve had good luck with them.

I used to be a diehard Goodrich AT KO, guy, but my last set seemed like they changed the compound, didn’t get as many miles on that set.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:53:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Out of those choice... Falkens

HOWEVER, I just put Toyo AT3 on my F150 and highly recommend them!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:07:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:01:48 PM EDT
[#13]
If the Falkens have three ply sidewalls then it's probably a toss up.  If they don't, the ST Maxx are the better choice for a heavy pig like your LC.

I run the Coopers on my 2001 LC and like them for all conditions in the Rockies.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:13:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the Falkens have three ply sidewalls then it's probably a toss up.  If they don't, the ST Maxx are the better choice for a heavy pig like your LC.

I run the Coopers on my 2001 LC and like them for all conditions in the Rockies.
View Quote

I currently have the Falkens on my XJ, and would buy them again without hesitation.

They are technically a 2-ply sidewall though, so that could be a factor with a heavier rig.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:18:06 AM EDT
[#15]
The falkens are nice. I have them and love them.

Good tire
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm in the Cooper camp.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 5:27:15 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

How do they wear for you?  Road noise?
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 6:29:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

How do they wear for you?  Road noise?
View Quote

They are pretty quiet.  Can’t really comment much on the wear since I am not driving my Tacoma much with the whole covid thing.  But they are good at shedding mud and rocks quickly.  Much better than the Bridgestone Dueler tires that came on my Jeep (I will put the procomps on this once I have some disposable income).
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 7:32:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They are pretty quiet.  Can’t really comment much on the wear since I am not driving my Tacoma much with the whole covid thing.  But they are good at shedding mud and rocks quickly.  Much better than the Bridgestone Dueler tires that came on my Jeep (I will put the procomps on this once I have some disposable income).
View Quote

I’m not quite ready for tires for my Tacoma yet, but I like to plan ahead.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 1:47:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Have not tried the new wild peaks but I had the first gen on my TJ and they did ok but wore pretty quick. Currently have the STMAXX on my 100 and love them! Little heavy on the street but off road they absolutely shine. With the know on the ground I have been even more impressed with them.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:42:17 AM EDT
[#21]
I have 2 trucks with Maxx's. Love em. You need to look at load range vs price among your choices.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#22]
The Falken  Wildpeak are VERY VERY good tires.
   They are much quieter than you would expect from the aggressive tread pattern, and they grip VERY well on  gravel,  hardpack snow, and  even do well on wet  pavement. They will even claw  through deep  sugar snow pretty well, up  until the point where you  need chains,  and by then  you'd   have been  chained up  with the coopers already.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 11:07:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Another vote for the Falken Wildpeak A/T3Ws. Love them on the Silverado and will be putting them on my the wife's new 4Runner.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top