Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2018 5:30:40 PM EDT
Just found out I'm allergic to hops.    I'm allergic to a lot of other things too, but fortunately not barley.  Am allergic to wheat & corn, however, so wheat beers and corn likker are out.

From what I understand, ales used to be brewed without hops.  Obviously, the result would be rather sweeter than today's ales.  Any recipes anyone's familiar w/?
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Spruce tips were used in areas where hops could not be grown. I think there's at least one craft brewer out there using them.
Other herb combos are used to brew "gruits".
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 9:14:50 PM EDT
[#2]
You can make a gruit to bitter your here is a quick read I found . Gruit was used before hops were.

https://growlermag.com/beer-before-hops-the-bittering-herbs-of-yore-are-making-a-comeback/
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 10:40:11 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want to read, Charlie Pappazion has in his book, alternatives to hops.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 11:20:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  You can make a gruit to bitter your here is a quick read I found . Gruit was used before hops were.

https://growlermag.com/beer-before-hops-the-bittering-herbs-of-yore-are-making-a-comeback/
View Quote
That's very helpful, thanks.  Led me to 3 breweries making ale w/ gruit, and a recipe.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 4:28:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Juniper berry is another viable alternative
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 5:21:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#7]
You could try cider.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Have been, but I miss me ales.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 6:13:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Spruce tips were used in areas where hops could not be grown. I think there's at least one craft brewer out there using them.
Other herb combos are used to brew "gruits".
View Quote
There is a Scottish beer that is made this way. The first time I tasted it I thought.. pinesol! Then the taste mellowed and grew on me.

http://www.williamsbrosbrew.com/beer/alba
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 10:56:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Do you like sour beers? Hops prevent the souring of beer, my sour beers I brew without hops to prevent killing the LAB's.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 11:16:33 PM EDT
[#11]
No, not really, but I'll look into them.  Thought hops brought bitterness to the table, hence I figgered I'd be looking @ a sweet ale.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 3:26:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I have made a couple of gruit ales, and have one working now.  The one I have bottled is delicious.  It has yarrow, bog myrtle, mugwort, and Heather tips.  I used amber malt extract and 5 cups of honey.  It is really tasty.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 6:17:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds good.  I need to get my brewing kit out of storage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top