Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2021 8:37:31 PM EDT
You guys all came thru when I needed recommendations on cordless tools (I went M18 and am very happy!), but now I need a small compressor. Mainly going to use it for airing vehicle tires, but may get some air tools (framing nailer, if I don't get an M18 cordless) for other things. Would like something that won't break the bank. We have Lowes, Mernards, and Harbor Freight in town. Bestow upon me thy knowledge!
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 8:51:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy bigger than you need.  Like a lot bigger.
I have a 12gal 1/2hp with a 10gal aux tank and its not enough.  It was good for my old place, blowing down parts and occasional moto tires.  Then I bought a trailer, those tires always need air.  Fill a tire, cart the comp back in to recharge, repeat....
Looking at a 60gal 5hp to charge the 3/4" lines in my shop.

It starts out with a few tires, then a 1/2" impact for those tires, maybe a die grinder.... oh, its time for the fall sprinkler blowouts... yeah, I could really use a plasma torch for this project...
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:28:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Ingersoll Rand - used them for 35+ years my current one fell off the back of a truck = installed a new crank & back end on electric motor frame - way to go IR great folks to work with.

7.5hp sold at farm & family - pretty good upright run a 3/4 or 1in drive impacts at 175psi - have a 10HP single phase that's amazing as well - IR for compressors.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:05:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you have 240v available?

If not, I would suggest a “silent” air compressor like the California air tool ones. The aluminum tank ones are very light, so you can bring it to the project if you need to
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:44:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I recommend a 120v 20-25 gallon compressor.  It'll be somewhat portable but still enough capacity to run most things a homeowner would need to run including 1/2 inch air impact.  

If you get more air tools and have the space, a 60 gallon air compressor will do everything you need but will NOT be portable.  

I got by with a 20 gallon compressor for years.  Now I have a 240v 60 gallon, a 120v 20 gallon, and a 120v 1 gallon.  If I could only have one, it would be the 20 gallon.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:55:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I had California Air Tools, technically still do.

I bought a second Makita though because I hate the 25-50% duty cycle of the CATs.

When I use them, I want them to be able to be ran hard and last. CAT can't do that. But they are as quiet as you can get.

My first Makita compressor I got in 2007. It still runs, and I run it 100% for hours at a time. Bought a second one, and they are LOUD mofos.

I never bought into a big unit, but I can see the appeal, however, recovery time/CFM isn't better on a bigger tank, it just gives you more buffer. Which often times is all you need.

If you need sheer throughput and need it to be 100% rock solid, in my opinion, Ingersoll Rand is the only option. My dad and I used to install flooring, and had 3 fully automatic 1/4" crown staplers. We ran that compressor 100% duty cycle, 12 hours a day, for YEARS. They never died.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:45:52 AM EDT
[#6]
For general homeowner use any of the 6 gallon cheap pancake compressors will do.  The Craftsman, Porter Cable, Bostitch and one other are identical except for the paint and the stickers.  The 2 or 3 guns they come with are all the same, and the hose while it works is a stiff piece of shit.  If running a framing nailer isn't important then get the cheap 2 gallon harbor freight jobbers, and when the motor shits the bed cobble together a fridge compressor on the sucker for a cheap California Air Tools knock off.  Hell I kind of want one just to run my brad, finish, and staplers as well as top off tires/balls.  Those 6 gallon pancakes are loud MFers.  

If you're going to run an impact you want a 20+ gallon.  If you're going to run sanders or paint you want 240V and 60-80gal.  If you're going to be doing media blasting you're probably better off hiring it out because they require stupid amounts of air.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:36:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Look hard at your real desires. I bought one of those 2gal quiet compressors from HF to run a brad nailer.  Quiet as hell and works perfectly for that job. I’ve got it mounted on a repurposed wheeled hose cart so it’s extremely easy to move around. It’s ok for blowing stuff out if your patient but you’ll not run any serious air tools. That said they make a bigger model and it’s awefully nice not listening to a noisy compressor.  

If your needs are very rare use of a framing nailer I’d consider renting a serious compressor and just get a quiet one for smaller stuff.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Great info, guys. Thanks! We don't have a ton of spare room in the garage, so I'll probably stick with a smaller, quieter unit. I don't mind wearing (and will) ear pro.

Definitely won't use the framing nailer often. Only have a little framing to do in the basement, so I could really get by with my impact driver and screws. Doubt I'll get an air impact wrench if I need that monster capacity. Will one of the small pancakes do alright to top off tires as needed? I understand it'll take a while, but beats paying for and waiting for a public spot.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:32:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I use a Rol-air jc10 for tires, air nailers at home and for work. Quite, and they have great customer service.  Had mine for over 10 years.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:55:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a 12gal 1/2hp with a 10gal aux tank and its not enough.  It was good for my old place, blowing down parts and occasional moto tires.  Then I bought a trailer, those tires always need air.  Fill a tire, cart the comp back in to recharge, repeat....

It starts out with a few tires, then a 1/2" impact for those tires, maybe a die grinder.... oh, its time for the fall sprinkler blowouts... yeah, I could really use a plasma torch for this project...
View Quote

Why not get a longer hose or extension cord?
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:06:25 PM EDT
[#11]
if you have a northern tool near you i saw this compressor in a youtube that they seemed to like.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200746784_200746784

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200746786_200746786

Quiet Air Compressor - The Hulk Silent Air Compressor by EMAX

Building The Farmhouse | Day 65
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:19:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I run the dewalt cordless. Nearly identical specs to the m18 cordless.

Brad nailer, finish nailer, air my car and motorcycle tires, blow out tools. It will even run my roofing nailer on a small patch job, cycle time would drive you nuts on anything larger than a shed.

The ability to have air without being near power come in handy at times.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:29:26 PM EDT
[#13]
My hf is awesome. Extremely quiet and fast cycling. Think it is about 35 pounds.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 8:23:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Abandon the idea of using air tools unless you go big, like a 60 gal tank, 2 stage motor big. 60 gal would be the lowest I'd do for air tools.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 8:39:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Abandon the idea of using air tools unless you go big, like a 60 gal tank, 2 stage motor big. 60 gal would be the lowest I'd do for air tools.
View Quote

Not true at all.  Yes bigger is better and there's no lag time between uses with a larger compressor but a 20 or so gallon air compressor will run an impact and other similar tools.  You might need to let it rebuild air pressure between uses but it will do it. I was running a framing nailer on my 20 gallon for heavy use and for light use today I used it on my 1 gallon compressor....with no issues.  

As mentioned, I have a 1 gallon, a 20 gallon, and a 60 gallon.  My 60 gallon is single stage as well.  I got by for years with a 20 gallon and it worked fine for the majority of my needs.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not true at all.  Yes bigger is better and there's no lag time between uses with a larger compressor but a 20 or so gallon air compressor will run an impact and other similar tools.  You might need to let it rebuild air pressure between uses but it will do it. I was running a framing nailer on my 20 gallon for heavy use and for light use today I used it on my 1 gallon compressor....with no issues.  

As mentioned, I have a 1 gallon, a 20 gallon, and a 60 gallon.  My 60 gallon is single stage as well.  I got by for years with a 20 gallon and it worked fine for the majority of my needs.
View Quote

The misconception that tank size is what matters drives me insane.

I have extensive experience with air compressors, and can say 100% that the tank size is only important for the amount of time you get between recharge cycles and nothing to do with how many or type of tools you can run on extended sessions.

The IR I ran for years was only 30 gallons, but could keep up with darn near anything you could throw at it, including running three full auto crown staplers at once.  It does 24.7 CFM at 175 PSI.

The Dewalt I see at Lowe's is 80 gallons (almost 3x as big) and is only 11.5 CFM at 90 PSI.

You also need to be aware of duty cycles on extended sessions. CAT is a popular quiet brand but is only a 25% duty cycle design (and they rate theirs on an hour basis, so only 15 minutes of recharge time per hour).  Other brands that are more industrial, like IR, Rolair and Makita, are 100% Duty Cycle typically.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:36:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I agree. Watch for duty cycle and airflow ratings.

However this seems to be more a tire filler and maybe a air nailer. No need for more then a nice 10gal tank. As for impacts the battery powered ones are 99% of the time enough for home use. No need to go pneumatic.

Only other thing i can think of would be a hvlp spray paint gun. But that's a whole other game.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 10:25:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I’m in a similar boat myself.  I’m selling my house and leaving my 60 gallon single stage in the garage since it is all built in with air lines and hose reel.  New place doesn’t have room for another 220 breaker anyway.  Besides, I’m getting older and don’t see myself ever restoring another car again.  So I’m stepping down to a 30 gallon to run the few air tools I might need for some wood working or other art projects I may take on.  
Looking at this one on Amazon
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 11:34:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Great info, guys. Thanks! We don't have a ton of spare room in the garage, so I'll probably stick with a smaller, quieter unit. I don't mind wearing (and will) ear pro.

Definitely won't use the framing nailer often. Only have a little framing to do in the basement, so I could really get by with my impact driver and screws. Doubt I'll get an air impact wrench if I need that monster capacity. Will one of the small pancakes do alright to top off tires as needed? I understand it'll take a while, but beats paying for and waiting for a public spot.
View Quote

YMMV I'd be doing that in steel studs.  Likely cheaper at this point too compared to wood.  Buy them from a supplier and not from the big box, they're significantly better form the supplier.  Get the grommets for the romex, or wire everything in AC/MC.  You can use wood with steel studs too, in fact it's recommended for doors IIRC
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 11:59:43 PM EDT
[#20]
OP, my small compressor is an older version of this.  That thing inflates the tires on my trailer and truck more than adequately, and will run a framer (or three) all day long.  I have a much bigger compressor, but I still keep that one for when I need to go places with it.  It's been running great for... IDK... probably getting close to 10 years now.  They usually go on sale often.

Now if you wanted to run a die grinder, or run a knuckle duster for extended periods, you'd need a bit more power.  But framers you tend to hit a few nails, then do a lot of measuring and cutting in between, especially if you're a one-man crew.

That being said, you could probably go to Harbor Freight, find one that looked, for all intents and purposes, just like it, and do just as well.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The misconception that tank size is what matters drives me insane.

I have extensive experience with air compressors, and can say 100% that the tank size is only important for the amount of time you get between recharge cycles and nothing to do with how many or type of tools you can run on extended sessions.

The IR I ran for years was only 30 gallons, but could keep up with darn near anything you could throw at it, including running three full auto crown staplers at once.  It does 24.7 CFM at 175 PSI.

The Dewalt I see at Lowe's is 80 gallons (almost 3x as big) and is only 11.5 CFM at 90 PSI.

You also need to be aware of duty cycles on extended sessions. CAT is a popular quiet brand but is only a 25% duty cycle design (and they rate theirs on an hour basis, so only 15 minutes of recharge time per hour).  Other brands that are more industrial, like IR, Rolair and Makita, are 100% Duty Cycle typically.
View Quote

There is also a misconception that your average homeowner needs 24cfm. The average person working in a home shop will never need that kind of air volume.

Tank size IS relevant ESPECIALLY for homeowner compressors  because a large tank will allow longer intervals between refilling and as you mentioned, duty cycle is important. High air consumption with a large tank with a low duty cycle will still likely work. High air consumption with a smaller tank and a high CFM pump and a 100% duty cycle will also work. High consumption, small tank, 25% duty cycle will wear out a compressor quickly.

What is more irritating is when someone asks what compressor they need to occasionally run an impact and to air up some tires and someone tells them they need nothing less than an industrial compressor, dual stage, with an 80 gallon tank.

The fact is, the average person can do whatever they need to with a 20 gallon compressor. I have a lot of air tools and I managed for years with a 20 gallon compressor. I love my 60 gallon (and it’s not even an industrial unit) but I could easily get by with less. I just don’t want to. The average person is going to use less compressed air than I do.

In addition, cordless tools are becoming extremely popular and powerful so people are increasingly moving away from large air compressors.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 9:39:06 AM EDT
[#22]
If you plan on running drills, die grinders, sanders, and similar you will want a compressor that has at minimum of 10 CFM. And as mentioned, duty cycle is important too. My suggestion is to look at all of your air tools and note the required CFM of each. Go with a compressor that has enough CFM to run your most hungry tool. Otherwise you will only be able to run your tools for a short period of time while waiting for the compressor to catch up.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 2:29:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Adding additional storage tank volume often does the job.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 5:17:40 PM EDT
[#24]
The little Porter Cable 6 gallon pancake compressors will easily meet the needs of 95% of your typical homeowners.

Right around $100, small enough to fit anywhere, and move enough air to seat the bead on a motorcycle/lawnmower/car tire, if necessary. Loud as a mofo, though.

LINK

Spend some money on a couple decent hoses and/or a quality hose reel, and you're good to go. I leave mine set up with a 20' slinky hose to keep it tidy but functional, and have a nice 50' hose that i leave in the bottom drawer of a toolbox.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 9:45:26 AM EDT
[#25]
You don't need a 240v 3phase 870000000000 gallon air compressor that cost's several thousands of dollars to air up tires and power a pneumatic nail gun.

You want something small and portable.
I have one of those Kobalt quiet-tech air compressors. It's quiet, has wheels to roll it around, and was under $200. Only con I can think of is that It only has one quick connection. But you can fix that by making your own small manifold.

Link Posted: 5/25/2021 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#26]
I bought a 6 gallon 150 psi Harbor Freight compressor and it has done what I needed it to do. Which is run a nail gun and air up trailer tires. I use an electric impact up here at the residence. At the shop, I have a 60 gallon with 5 HP running on 220 volts. It is true that if you are going to run tools that need continuous air like air sanders, grinders or sandblasters, then prepare to shell out some real cash. For air pressures over 120 psi with any CFM, you are going to need a two stage. Again prepare to pay for them if you need any duty cycle. But really most of us don't.

But for homeowner use, the 2 to 6 gallon compressors will be fine. The smaller ones will be easier to carry, while the 6 gallon is about all my 68 year old ass is interested in moving around.

RS

Link Posted: 5/25/2021 7:55:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Sorry guys, hadn't checked in on the thread in a while.  Been busy with work and home life.  Definitely plan on going the smaller route.  Whenever I grab one I'll post up what I get!  May be a while yet.  Really appreciate the advice!  Learned a lot!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top