Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 79
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 6:46:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:

Well... to be fair, if the modeling is fucked up then I could understand the basics and it's just not working right lol. At any rate, I did some research and found a that there's an occasional glitch with the radar elevation not working right- seems like it will get stuck sometimes which was part of the problem. The data link as mentioned above was another thing that helped, I hadn't turned it on.

I haven't used the ECM at all, just the auto dispense which does work for chaff (though as noted above not for flares, which has also helped understanding that). Unless you mean the ECM is on for the auto function? I do not put it on xmit.

Got it about the AIM 120. How do you know when it goes active?

That's exactly what I've been doing, and it's coming along. A lot to learn....
View Quote
When you fire an AIM 120 you will see a countdown timer appear on the lower left of the HUD - I can't remember what its label is, but when that goes to 0, that is 'pitbull' when the missile's own radar takes over and you can maneuver away without affecting the future flight of the missile. Another countdown starts, this one called TGT if I remember correctly and that is the Time To Target which gives you an estimate of when the missile will hit the target.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 6:48:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Stoop:
When you fire an AIM 120 you will see a countdown timer appear on the lower left of the HUD - I can't remember what its label is, but when that goes to 0, that is 'pitbull' when the missile's own radar takes over and you can maneuver away without affecting the future flight of the missile. Another countdown starts, this one called TGT if I remember correctly and that is the Time To Target which gives you an estimate of when the missile will hit the target.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Well... to be fair, if the modeling is fucked up then I could understand the basics and it's just not working right lol. At any rate, I did some research and found a that there's an occasional glitch with the radar elevation not working right- seems like it will get stuck sometimes which was part of the problem. The data link as mentioned above was another thing that helped, I hadn't turned it on.

I haven't used the ECM at all, just the auto dispense which does work for chaff (though as noted above not for flares, which has also helped understanding that). Unless you mean the ECM is on for the auto function? I do not put it on xmit.

Got it about the AIM 120. How do you know when it goes active?

That's exactly what I've been doing, and it's coming along. A lot to learn....

ah great, thanks. Just missed that feature.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 6:58:54 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote

Thanks. I knew it had it buts been more than a month since I've flown it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote
It also shows on the radar after AIM120 launch, TTA ( Time To Active) and after active that will change to TTI (Time To Impact)
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Did they do some behind the scenes ground damage tweaks with the last update?  CBUs actually seem to do something now...
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Alaskanforfreedom:
It also shows on the radar after AIM120 launch, TTA ( Time To Active) and after active that will change to TTI (Time To Impact)
View All Quotes

I remember seeing that but didn't know what it was for so ignored it

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:07:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By freerider04:
Did they do some behind the scenes ground damage tweaks with the last update?  CBUs actually seem to do something now...
View Quote
Yeah I noticed that too. Dropped  some CBUs in an F16 and was very when it actually did something.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 12:17:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I was so surprised when i dropped a pair of rockeyes on a AAA site and things starting exploding that I wasn't even mad when I flew into a missile
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 2:16:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By freerider04:
I was so surprised when i dropped a pair of rockeyes on a AAA site and things starting exploding that I wasn't even mad when I flew into a missile
View Quote
Nice! I dropped a ripple of 4 on a line of parked Su25s and watch the "BDA" pop up and was like holy shit I actually killed something with it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 9:06:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah I noticed that too. Dropped  some CBUs in an F16 and was very when it actually did something.
View Quote

Yeah looks like rock eyes got fixed.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 6:57:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Stopped playing DCS a while back. Got a new gaming laptop and an oculus quest 2. Hooked it up and used DCS today and Holy shitnis it fun. Now I just need to get the buttons I want mapped on the hotas and figure put the best way to deal with still needing a keyboard.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 12:22:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By drewptwo:
Stopped playing DCS a while back. Got a new gaming laptop and an oculus quest 2. Hooked it up and used DCS today and Holy shitnis it fun. Now I just need to get the buttons I want mapped on the hotas and figure put the best way to deal with still needing a keyboard.
View Quote

Just click in the pit with a mouse/trackball or get point control. My least favorite planes in DCS are the FC3 ones precisely because I have to map 3 layers of shifted buttons to the hotas and I can never remember them.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 1:42:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

Just click in the pit with a mouse/trackball or get point control. My least favorite planes in DCS are the FC3 ones precisely because I have to map 3 layers of shifted buttons to the hotas and I can never remember them.
View Quote

I think I am going to have to go with the modifier button route.  Almost all of my aircraft are from FC3 at this point.  Going to get a trackball mouse and mount it somehow to be stationary as well.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#14]

I think I am going to have to go with the modifier button route.  Almost all of my aircraft are from FC3 at this point.  Going to get a trackball mouse and mount it somehow to be stationary as well.
View Quote

I've seen guys use trackballs strapped to their legs. IDK, point control is the way to go currently IMO. captogloves maybe in the future.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:24:56 PM EDT
[#15]

I've seen guys use trackballs strapped to their legs. IDK, point control is the way to go currently IMO. captogloves maybe in the future.
View All Quotes

I have what is maybe a strange setup...but it works.

I have that xbox controller hat on the Virpil throttle. It controls the TDC. I have another button that is a "shift" for the hat, which then makes it control the cursor. Then I have a button on the stick that is the mouse 1/2 buttons. Maybe it's weird, but it works fairly well.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 10:43:51 AM EDT
[#16]
I appreciate the suggestions from everyone.  I am going to work on mapping the hotas with modifiers this weekend and see what works for me.  Do some practice with point and click on the P-51 since that is the only clickable one I have at the moment.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:23:01 AM EDT
[#17]
I finally got the time to try out 2.7 last night in VR, the new clouds looked super ugly with no definition? I gave up troubleshooting, anyone else have this issue?
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By atxm3:
I finally got the time to try out 2.7 last night in VR, the new clouds looked super ugly with no definition? I gave up troubleshooting, anyone else have this issue?
View Quote

Yeah that's a feature for now. Set em to ultra is the best you can do.

Basically the weird humping/littering they do was way worse when they were more detailed. So they gotta fix the one problem before the other.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 6:51:00 PM EDT
[#19]

I have that xbox controller hat on the Virpil throttle. It controls the TDC. I have another button that is a "shift" for the hat, which then makes it control the cursor. Then I have a button on the stick that is the mouse 1/2 buttons. Maybe it's weird, but it works fairly well.
View Quote

All that matters is that it works for you.

I used to use a mouse, and was on the early adopters of point control which is the best thing going for vr/dcs right now.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#20]

I used to use a mouse, and was on the early adopters of point control which is the best thing going for vr/dcs right now.
View All Quotes

oooo thats neat. I might need to try it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:13:51 PM EDT
[#21]
This is nice

DCS: Sky Fighters | Les Chevaliers Du Ciel
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Shung:
This is nice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR_0HrTEyUM
View Quote

Yeah I'm pretty excited for the F1. Maybe in Q3.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 6:36:19 AM EDT
[#23]

Yeah I'm pretty excited for the F1. Maybe in Q3.
View Quote

Latest video is very promising.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 5:47:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Once the JTAC lases a target and I destroy it, how do I get him to lase the second target? I can't seem to get any of the commands to do this....
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 7:15:36 PM EDT
[#25]
“I believe” in the ME your targets have to be in the same group.
And you give the JTAC the aim at group command.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 8:20:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By clayvt:
“I believe” in the ME your targets have to be in the same group.
And you give the JTAC the aim at group command.
View Quote

Hmm okay, thanks. I'm doing the Persian Gulf JTAC qualification mission, so I'm not sure how they set it up. I'll see if I can dig into it some more.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 5:05:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#27]

Latest video is very promising.
View Quote

Yeah, looks like its at least flying and basic systems are basically working. Though as the mention their FM needs validation from actual pilots, and thats always a back and forth thing. That being said the more complex weapons and avionics were not shown at all, and those are what takes time. The Cyrano IV is relatively complicated as an example, with multiple modes, including a datalink mode (doubt we even get that). As is the integration for gunsight/hud etc. We also don't have the original 550's in game (magic 1) which is the most relevant missile for it, though I think the Spanish ones used early sidewinders. And the 530F or og 530 are a brand new weapons too (it can't use the 530D, and that one should get some tender nerf bat loving from ED anyway). So, I'm being an optimist about Q3 but I bet it ships with both systems (radar modes most likely) and weapons missing. (my guess is we get some sort of search mode, a close combat air/air mode, and sidewinders for A/A and some basic unguided stuff for AG).

On the upside at least the CE is simpler than the EE (INS, moar radar etc) and the M (modern yo)...
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Once the JTAC lases a target and I destroy it, how do I get him to lase the second target? I can't seem to get any of the commands to do this....
View Quote

Hm, I Thought this was automatic as long as it was in range. But most online servers use a better jtac script for this anyway.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 10:16:56 PM EDT
[#29]
So now that I got the F-18 Hornet, Is there any servers to should start out on?? Or more newbie friendly severs.

Scott
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 10:20:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Scotts556:
So now that I got the F-18 Hornet, Is there any servers to should start out on?? Or more newbie friendly severs.

Scott
View Quote

How new are you?

I've been flying the Rising Squall campaign. Cheesy in some places but it's been very good for a true newb like me.

I know that's not a server, but I'm waiting to do that until I get more competent.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 10:25:10 PM EDT
[#31]

How new are you?

I've been flying the Rising Squall campaign. Cheesy in some places but it's been very good for a true newb like me.

I know that's not a server, but I'm waiting to do that until I get more competent.
View All Quotes

Scott

How new are you?

Pretty new still. I got a few of the weapons fired out and currently working on counter measures and A2A stuff.

Scott
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 10:38:26 PM EDT
[#32]

Pretty new still. I got a few of the weapons fired out and currently working on counter measures and A2A stuff.

Scott
View All Quotes

Scott

How new are you?

Scott

I'm very new too...I'd consider that campaign. It will take you through most of the major systems and weapons in a pretty good learning curve. You will need to do the actual training missions first.
Take a look at it and see what you think. I'm glad I did it, even if the voice acting is ... Not the best.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 11:32:47 PM EDT
[#33]

I'm very new too...I'd consider that campaign. It will take you through most of the major systems and weapons in a pretty good learning curve. You will need to do the actual training missions first.
Take a look at it and see what you think. I'm glad I did it, even if the voice acting is ... Not the best.
View All Quotes

Scott

How new are you?

Scott

Im gonna start working my way through the weapon qualification missions tonight, hopfully that helps some
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:01:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Whichever one of you reminded me about the A-4 on Mile's Vietnam server is the man.  I jumped on their last night and had a blast.  I launched from the boat and headed feet wet.  I had a heavy load out of 4 CBU's and 6 snakeye's.  I immediately found a small truck convoy and nailed them with the 4 CBU's.  Headed inland and dropped my Snake's on an SA-2 site.  Went home and trapped.  Loaded up again with 6 Snakes and 2 AIM-9's.  Dropped the snakes on troops and a ZSU-23.  Then I got bounced by a pair of MiG-19's.  The F-4 CAP came blazing in to kill everything, but got shot down by one MiG and ground fire.  I managed to turn into the things and got a tone with the AIM-9's, first didn't track second ran right up the tail pipe.  Then found the other MiG and managed to kill him with the gun.  Thankfully I hit him in the cockpit in a rate fight (don't know why the computer would try a rate fight, unless it was a people?), my gun was dry and I headed home to trap.  I'm really enjoying the new FM on the A-4.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:57:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Playing around with the Hornet and GBUs is it just something I have mapped or does the hornet require you to turn on the laser after each LGB drop?
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 8:08:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Playing around with the Hornet and GBUs is it just something I have mapped or does the hornet require you to turn on the laser after each LGB drop?
View Quote

Unless you use the auto lazing, yes.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#37]
made a new background and loading screen for the Cat

Link Posted: 5/14/2021 10:33:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Attachment Attached File

Had myself a solo session tonight. Still trying to dial it in. The immersion with the vr is unreal. Pretty much obligated to build a rudimentary cockpit at this point.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 4:06:40 AM EDT
[#39]
made a new background and loading screen for the Cat

https://i23.servimg.com/u/f23/11/94/71/06/f-14_b12.png

https://i23.servimg.com/u/f23/11/94/71/06/f-14_b13.png
View Quote
Nice I use DCS screenshots for my computer desktop.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 10:20:35 AM EDT
[#40]
DCS WORLD | FREE TO PLAY PROGRAM
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote
What about using VoiceAttack?
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#42]
What about using VoiceAttack?
View Quote

Yup VA is a good option, if a bit dodgy at times.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 12:43:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Anyone running VoiceAttack with ViaCom and the plugins able to answer a few questions I have about the F14 configurations?
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 11:30:24 PM EDT
[#44]
So how is everyone enjoying the new Marianas map?   Got some MP time in tonight to test out the graphics on my new Samsung G9 49" curved display.  Absolutely stunning with my 2080Ti!!

Not a lot of air targets though.   Kinda wish some of the MP servers would increase their target settings.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 8:35:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By JoeyIsaacs:
So how is everyone enjoying the new Marianas map?   Got some MP time in tonight to test out the graphics on my new Samsung G9 49" curved display.  Absolutely stunning with my 2080Ti!!

Not a lot of air targets though.   Kinda wish some of the MP servers would increase their target settings.
View Quote

I’m waiting for performance optimizations before I use it much. Performance is terrible over the islands.

After the initial hype dies off, this map will get about as much long-term use as Nevada, IMO.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:16:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#46]
Originally Posted By GilenusX207:

I’m waiting for performance optimizations before I use it much. Performance is terrible over the islands.

After the initial hype dies off, this map will get about as much long-term use as Nevada, IMO.
View Quote

Yeah, performance in VR is god-awful anywhere near the islands even on a 3090, though perfect in the middle of the ocean. It does look pretty tho. And yeah I agree this is one of the dumbest "modern" maps ED has put out. Zero credible scenarios. Had they done it as a WW2 version first, it would be brilliant though (yes I know WW2 version is coming). I'm just baffled by why do modern at all. Oh well, its free.

On the plus side, the Hind is actually pretty good, Petrovich needs a good bit more polishing, and they really need to a working damage model but the overall it mostly works, and has most of its features and its pretty fun/cool to fly.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:34:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Planning on firing up the F-16 today and finally learning it.  I havent flown it at all since I bought it pre-release! LOL  I'll have to configure my warthog and stream decks for this thing.  That can take hours since I dont know what commands are really needed.

Really wanting to get the Voice Attack stuff figured out.   I have VA, Vaicom and plug ins, Bailey's profiles and add ons, etc.   Im just not having any luck with understanding some config settings.

Link Posted: 7/5/2021 12:41:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Hopefully ED will start to fix stuff on the viper now that it has its "toys". Its overperforming to hilarious and absurd levels at the moment.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By JoeyIsaacs:
Planning on firing up the F-16 today and finally learning it.  I havent flown it at all since I bought it pre-release! LOL  I'll have to configure my warthog and stream decks for this thing.  That can take hours since I dont know what commands are really needed.

Really wanting to get the Voice Attack stuff figured out.   I have VA, Vaicom and plug ins, Bailey's profiles and add ons, etc.   Im just not having any luck with understanding some config settings.

View Quote

Once you get it going it's great, even though I have a few continuing issues with it....still pretty cool to run a 9 line with a JTAC over voice comms.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Back from overseas, and I still can't play since I'm in Mexico for vacation until next month

I'm moving to my new place the moment Starlink ships. Then I'll be able to assemble my new Obutto Revolution, and try out my Virpil throttle, and maybe my Jetseat will be in by then...
Page / 79
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top