BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 79
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:40:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Alaskanforfreedom:
I think HB needs to take on the F4 when they get the Viggen and the Cat finished. I don't think anyone else would be in a better position considering they already have a working RIO AI.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

Fair... I probably would. I certainly have about the F14 over the years.

Though I would totally be more interested the HB one, I'd even learn to put up with jester.
I think HB needs to take on the F4 when they get the Viggen and the Cat finished. I don't think anyone else would be in a better position considering they already have a working RIO AI.

No they need to do my beloved A-6 Intruder next!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:41:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By cone256:

View Quote

They are doing the Intruder next.  I wish they would put together another team to work on the F-4 in parallel, that would be awesome!

I can't say I trust anyone else to do the old school heavy metal right.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:50:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FreefallRet] [#3]
Originally Posted By eracer:

Because it's an F-15C in DCS.

Kinda picky, and a tad snarky.
View Quote
You are correct my mistake
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:15:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Well,  we are all patiently awaiting the F15E in DCS.
View All Quotes

Because it's an F-15C in DCS.

Kinda picky, and a tad snarky.

Well,  we are all patiently awaiting the F15E in DCS.

Indeed.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 5:28:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#5]

Indeed.
View Quote

TBH I hope they take their time on it and push out the 23 first since its simpler.

I'm still annoyed that 15E wont have a rear seat AI, but since I'm gonna be like 87% of users I'll buy it and pretend it's a single seat 15C anyway.

I just hope the radar or DL isn't gonna be arcade mode.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By cone256:

View Quote

I got to walk up to a real Intruder over the summer at the Wings Over the Rockies museum in Denver.  It surprised me how truly big that jet was.  Especially thinking how it served on Vietnam era carriers. Not sure how fun it would be to fly/land, but more jets in DCS the better.

I'd love to see the Air Force get some more love and someone do the B1.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Durka-Durka:

I got to walk up to a real Intruder over the summer at the Wings Over the Rockies museum in Denver.  It surprised me how truly big that jet was.  Especially thinking how it served on Vietnam era carriers. Not sure how fun it would be to fly/land, but more jets in DCS the better.

View Quote

For Carrier landing hi-jinks the F4U (coming soon tm) is gonna be "fun" to land if everything I've read about them is true, and then if you want to land a fast jet on a postage stamp, the subsequent F8 from M3 will be landing on the same Essex class postage stamp which I'm sure will be more "fun".
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Multiengine more than 2 aint happenin any time soon in DCS, so I've heard. Closest thing is gonna be an F111.

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:10:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#9]
Originally Posted By FREEFALLE7:
You are correct my mistake
View Quote

I was actually hoping there was another good sim out there with an F15E... But I was also thinking warthunder

As an aside, BMS is adding VR and updating their whole gfx engine. Plus MP is back and doing falcon 5, so all that could be interesting.

Also, VR headset + fan chamber thingy + harness for when it turns off = VR skydiving...
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 6:42:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Go on.. tell me we don’t need a south east Asia map !

DCS World Movie: VIETNAM/69(fictional)

Oh and add a f-4, an f-8, a-6  a f-100, an f-105 and a MiG-17 and we are golden
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:37:25 AM EDT
[#11]

For Carrier landing hi-jinks the F4U (coming soon tm) is gonna be "fun" to land if everything I've read about them is true, and then if you want to land a fast jet on a postage stamp, the subsequent F8 from M3 will be landing on the same Essex class postage stamp which I'm sure will be more "fun".
View Quote
Ran across a couple good You Tube vids of the Brits' experience with the Corsair.  Apparently, the forward visibility on approach is rubbish, it had a really fast stall speed, and it tended to bounce over the arresting wires.  The massive torque from the engine would also flip them right on their backs or in the case of a bolter.  

F4U Corsair: 'Black Sheep' adopted by the Royal Navy

F4U Corsair | Taming the beast

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 8:16:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Z09SS] [#12]
Originally Posted By Shung:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWzse4GUX74

View Quote

The tendency of using the last, and most modern, version of every plane in DCS makes Vietnam sketchy.

We don't need an F-4, we need three versions of the F-4B, two versions of the F-4C, two versions of the F-4D, two versions of the F-4E and at least one version of F-4J.  Since this is at the study level, those differences matter.

They're making the wrong F-8 for 'Nam, the F-8J barely makes an appearance.  The F-8D and F-8E were a lot more common.

We'd need two versions each of the A-6A, and A-6B but just one A-6E.

Three versions of the F-100D.  Regular and Weasel versions for the F-100 two seaters.

The F-105 went from the B to two versions of the D to the Wild Weasel G.

Not to mention all the Navy versions of the Corsair II!

And this is just the US involvement.

Nam was a gigantic petri-dish of measure and counter measure and applied lessons learned.

On top of all that, DCS would need a dramatic improvement in ECM detail.  Especially for the Weasel and Iron Hand missions.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 12:11:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Z09SS:

The tendency of using the last, and most modern, version of every plane in DCS makes Vietnam sketchy.

We don't need an F-4, we need three versions of the F-4B, two versions of the F-4C, two versions of the F-4D, two versions of the F-4E and at least one version of F-4J.  Since this is at the study level, those differences matter.

They're making the wrong F-8 for 'Nam, the F-8J barely makes an appearance.  The F-8D and F-8E were a lot more common.

Three versions of the F-100D.  Regular and Weasel versions for the F-100 two seaters.

Nam was a gigantic petri-dish of measure and counter measure and applied lessons learned.

On top of all that, DCS would need a dramatic improvement in ECM detail.  Especially for the Weasel and Iron Hand missions.
View All Quotes

While I’d love it if they’d do all of that, “perfect” is the enemy of “good enough”. My group’s been doing acceptable VN-style missions with what we already have for about a year. Not anywhere close to perfect, but I seriously doubt ANY conflict could be 100% accurately recreated with the assets currently available in DCS. Something, whether it’s a plane, map, air defense, or a truck, would not be “correct”.

I am hopeful that a 3rd party will eventually make VN map, though. And pretty much everything else on your list.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:39:44 AM EDT
[#14]

View Quote
I can't remember where I read it, I think DCS forum but maybe this thread. But somebody made a good case for a F4E based on the fact we have a lot on 1970s-80s based planes.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 1:43:40 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

I think it was Coonts who said the A-6 ramp speed was something like 120 IAS and that big stiff wing made it very stable and easy to land.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 4:49:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#16]

View Quote

F4 Coming from BST (whenever) version unknown, probably 80's era F4E (unless some other 3rd partly HB pick it up)
F8J Coming from M3 maybe next year (post VN version, maybe same version that france operated)
A6 Coming from HB after the F14 is done, Probably 80's version
F100... Up for grabs
F105... Deka said they might do it, but they are unclear
Mig-17... Up for grabs, I'm not sure how similar it is cockpit wise to the Mig15 but it sounds like it would be an "easy" upgrade.

TBH, I think the next "era" thats hopefully gonna sort-of filled in is the 70's/80's. Maybe then the VN/60's era.

In addition to what we have the following 70's/80's planes are coming sort-of-soon ish (this year I hope).

Mirage F1 (3 versions) coming this summer
Mig-23 MLA (late 70's) maybe this year or next (depends on if its first or the eagle is)
Mi-24V (80's era mi24) This year, hopefully soon (tm)
A7E (80's version) maybe this year

And then best guess for next year
F8J
A6E
mig29A
F4 (very maybe)
Kfir (very maybe)

So when you put it all together for a 50s-80's CW plane set (not counting FC3 stuff)

Red
Mig15, Mig19, Mig21, Mig23, Mig29 (Mirage F1 depending), F14A (iranian), Mi24V

Blue
F86, F14A, F5E, Mirage F1, A7E, A6E, (f4 maybe), Mirage 2000 (very late 80's). And if you really really want to strech it you can add gimped versions of the Viper and hornet, though they are stupidly OP even when restricted.

So once you get to this point, you can start doing for example things like the Iran/Iraq war (mainly needs mr F4) Or other hypothetical scenarios. Really, though the F4 is basically the entire lynchpin of cold war airframes, followed in the 80's by the early model Vipers...
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Mariner82:
Ran across a couple good You Tube vids of the Brits' experience with the Corsair.  Apparently, the forward visibility on approach is rubbish, it had a really fast stall speed, and it tended to bounce over the arresting wires.  The massive torque from the engine would also flip them right on their backs or in the case of a bolter.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quo-AgC4ZiU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH5XSwyb_EU
View Quote

Yeah the USN didn't permit them on carriers early on till the brits "figured it out". The marines only flew them from land bases initially. TBH its probably going to be the worst plane to land on a carrier in all of DCS till we get the F8, and even then the corsair is probably worse.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 4:53:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I can't remember where I read it, I think DCS forum but maybe this thread. But somebody made a good case for a F4E based on the fact we have a lot on 1970s-80s based planes.
View Quote

Yeah, the F4E is probably the most common AF model from the 70's through the 80's. Alot of the later capability it had was "bolt-on" so it could be "removed" in the mission editor to simulate earlier planes.

But I agree, we need more variants of the F4, but given the the dificulty of simulating it, it doesn't make sense for multiple devs to do it. HB would have a leg up since they already have jester, though they really need to "upgrade" him.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:35:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Z09SS] [#19]

F8J Coming from M3 maybe next year (post VN version, maybe same version that france operated)

View Quote

The F-8J isn't the same plane as the F-8E(FN), but the F-8E upgrade program that makes F-8J's gets the same double droop leading edge flaps as were developed for the E(FN).

The F-8J just doesn't fit in any historical setting except a narrow slice of 'Nam.

The USN's main version was the F-8E in 'Nam and the Marines kept a lot of the F-8D, even upgrading theirs to F-8K rather than going with the F-8J.

Even worse, the J kinda tubby for what I've been seeing on youtube.  The late, post Shoehorn, E is the one I'd have picked and you wouldn't have lost much over the F-8J in systems and armament options while staying light and nimble.  The J is essentially the E with a no-holds-barred fix its behavior at the boat than a combat improvement.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:56:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alaskanforfreedom] [#20]

Yeah, the F4E is probably the most common AF model from the 70's through the 80's. Alot of the later capability it had was "bolt-on" so it could be "removed" in the mission editor to simulate earlier planes.

But I agree, we need more variants of the F4, but given the the dificulty of simulating it, it doesn't make sense for multiple devs to do it. HB would have a leg up since they already have jester, though they really need to "upgrade" him.
View Quote
I agree with more versions of the F4, I just don't see it happening. Then again maybe if it's Heatblur that picks up that module, maybe they'll give us a few extra versions like they are with the Tomcat.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#21]

The F-8J isn't the same plane as the F-8E(FN), but the F-8E upgrade program that makes F-8J's gets the same double droop leading edge flaps as were developed for the E(FN).

The F-8J just doesn't fit in any historical setting except a narrow slice of 'Nam.

The USN's main version was the F-8E in 'Nam and the Marines kept a lot of the F-8D, even upgrading theirs to F-8K rather than going with the F-8J.

Even worse, the J kinda tubby for what I've been seeing on youtube.  The late, post Shoehorn, E is the one I'd have picked and you wouldn't have lost much over the F-8J in systems and armament options while staying light and nimble.  The J is essentially the E with a no-holds-barred fix its behavior at the boat than a combat improvement.
View Quote

Well, sounds like you know more about it than me. But from what I've read its gonna be the J, maybe thats the one they could get the best documentation/museum access for. I'm also curious if they will offer an update Essex class for it, or maybe a french carrier.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 5:26:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#22]
I agree with more versions of the F4, I just don't see it happening. Then again maybe if it's Heatblur that picks up that module, maybe they'll give us a few extra versions like they are with the Tomcat.
View Quote

Honestly the only way I see it working at all is one dev does 2 different module "sets". One Airforce one based on the F4E and probably an earlier VN one, and then a whole other paid module for the Naval Phantoms (again, VN era and a later one) that were different enough in terms of avionics and aerodynamics to warrant it. And it has to be a single dev doing it because I think if you have 2 wildly different "feeling" FM's and different standards for avionics modeling and "jesters" out there people are gonna loose their shit over it. Imagine a shakey/feedback F4 FM by heatblur (my preference), versus say a fly-by-wire on the rails phantom by say Razbam... No way that ends well in the DCS community IMO.

Personally I want an F4G, but I'm really not holding my breath for it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Multiengine more than 2 aint happenin any time soon in DCS, so I've heard. Closest thing is gonna be an F111.

View Quote

Thank goodness for the Hercules 3rd party mod!!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 7:18:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#24]
Originally Posted By Stoop:

Thank goodness for the Hercules 3rd party mod!!!
View Quote

Yeah, I've seen that and wondered about how they got around the limitation, maybe engine pairing or something like that. I mean its something ED could do, it just doesn't seem high on their list.

For "community" use I've often championed a unified "mod" set that all online servers could require it to join, greatly expanding the flyable A/C and overall gameplay online. But, well, the main server owners aint interested.

I personally would love to see stuff like the A4C, C130, Mig25PD, Su-24 and Su17 online.

Link Posted: 3/6/2021 1:11:08 PM EDT
[#25]

Yeah, I've seen that and wondered about how they got around the limitation, maybe engine pairing or something like that. I mean its something ED could do, it just doesn't seem high on their list.

For "community" use I've often championed a unified "mod" set that all online servers could require it to join, greatly expanding the flyable A/C and overall gameplay online. But, well, the main server owners aint interested.

I personally would love to see stuff like the A4C, C130, Mig25PD, Su-24 and Su17 online.

View Quote
I've been playing with all the mods I see online. I think the Grinneli Designs F22 is pretty top notch besides the F15 flight model. The Cubanace Su57 is cool but the R77M I shot continued to accelerate after the rocket motor burned out. They also did a MiG23 model but I didn't realize it was a ground attack variant based off the SU25 until I used it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 7:24:33 PM EDT
[#26]
I've been playing with all the mods I see online. I think the Grinneli Designs F22 is pretty top notch besides the F15 flight model. The Cubanace Su57 is cool but the R77M I shot continued to accelerate after the rocket motor burned out. They also did a MiG23 model but I didn't realize it was a ground attack variant based off the SU25 until I used it.
View Quote

Yeah, IDK, there are plenty of "uberplane" mods that I really don't care for, the F22 and Su57 being at the top of the list. Honestly those planes there is so little known to even do them to a basic DCS level, in terms of FM and avionics at that point I might as go play warthunder or whatever. But some folks like em, so good for them. The only plane "mod" I keep reinstalling over and over again is the A4.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 2:36:38 AM EDT
[#27]

Yeah, IDK, there are plenty of "uberplane" mods that I really don't care for, the F22 and Su57 being at the top of the list. Honestly those planes there is so little known to even do them to a basic DCS level, in terms of FM and avionics at that point I might as go play warthunder or whatever. But some folks like em, so good for them. The only plane "mod" I keep reinstalling over and over again is the A4.
View Quote
Yeah mods are the only way I can get my F4 or MiG 23 desires temporarily fulfilled. Is there any idea on when we will see anything on MiG 23? I know it's Razbam so who knows what will fucking happen but MiG 23 is one I'm absolutely pumped for after falling in love with the MiG 21
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 5:26:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#28]
Yeah mods are the only way I can get my F4 or MiG 23 desires temporarily fulfilled. Is there any idea on when we will see anything on MiG 23? I know it's Razbam so who knows what will fucking happen but MiG 23 is one I'm absolutely pumped for after falling in love with the MiG 21
View Quote

There a decent F4 mod? The 23 mod was pretty meh IMO.

As for the 23 no one knows. Long ago Strat said end of 2020, which of course didn't happen. At this point I wouldn't expect it till end of Q2/Q3 if they are busting their balls on it, but no one knows if the 23 will be first or the eagle...
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:40:08 PM EDT
[#29]

There a decent F4 mod? The 23 mod was pretty meh IMO.

As for the 23 no one knows. Long ago Strat said end of 2020, which of course didn't happen. At this point I wouldn't expect it till end of Q2/Q3 if they are busting their balls on it, but no one knows if the 23 will be first or the eagle...
View Quote
No just another F15 crossdressing mod. By fulfill my desires I mean give the cosmetic appearance of flying the plane I want.
TBH I really don't fly the mods just tried each one once or twice. I'm not too much into ground attack otherwise I would try the A4 mod.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#30]
No just another F15 crossdressing mod. By fulfill my desires I mean give the cosmetic appearance of flying the plane I want.
TBH I really don't fly the mods just tried each one once or twice. I'm not too much into ground attack otherwise I would try the A4 mod.
View Quote

Gotcha.

Yeah my hope is mirage F1 and mig23 this year, would help out alot for cold war servers. But we get what we get.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#31]

Gotcha.

Yeah my hope is mirage F1 and mig23 this year, would help out alot for cold war servers. But we get what we get.
View Quote
Yeah I wasn't too interested in the F1 but it looks like it could be a lot like the MiG 21 and I seemed to have fallen quite hard for that module.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 4:36:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Yeah I wasn't too interested in the F1 but it looks like it could be a lot like the MiG 21 and I seemed to have fallen quite hard for that module.
View Quote

It will be be better than the mig21 in most ways, should be comparable to the 23. You get good WVR performance, and some basic BVR performance depending on which version of the 530 we get. Then we can play South Africans and Cubans... Or Iraqis and Iranaians (14A).
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 4:48:21 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm FINALLY getting setup.
I have all the parts on order (almost) except the video card obviously- I got a super cheap old one until I can get a 3080. I splurged on a Virpil stick.

My son has a Quest 2 that should hold me off until I can get something better.

What would you guys recommend for a standalone throttle? The Virpil one was a bit more than I wanted to do.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:51:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:
I have all the parts on order (almost) except the video card obviously- I got a super cheap old one until I can get a 3080. I splurged on a Virpil stick.

What would you guys recommend for a standalone throttle? The Virpil one was a bit more than I wanted to do.
View Quote

I started with the T1600 which served its purpose well.  Currently I'm using the Thrustmaster Warthog throttle and stick with the 1600 pedals.  I'm more than happy with it.  I believe the warthog is the entry level of the higher end HOTAS products.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:15:56 AM EDT
[#35]
I’ve had the Warthog throttle for almost two years now, and am still happy with it.  I think the Virpil will be better based on reviews, and will probably upgrade to it or the VKB in the distant future, but nothing wrong with the Warthog.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Yeah having a hard time finding any of those as a stand alone throttle.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 9:52:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Hahns10mm:
Someday I'll set my pit up again and fly with you guys, I have everything up until the Hornet/Persian gulf. I know the hog inside and out and I can fly the tits off of the Huey.

I can't stand Discord though, it doesn't distinguish between different devices for the PTT button, so button 1 on your throttle, stick, panels, ect all activate the PTT.
View Quote

Discord is cancer for actual comms. Use SRS.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 9:52:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Pita_146:
Was that an F-16 I saw?
View Quote

Yup we have a viper, its still very much a WIP tho.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

The WH is definately "ok"

I've also got an older cougar for the viper

And a winwing F18 throttle, which in terms of throttle accuracy is probably the best of them. They are also releasing a modular warthog style throttle soon.

I'm sure the virpil is fine too, I love their stick, far more than VKB, though its better than the TM ones.

Link Posted: 3/14/2021 2:53:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RolandofGilead] [#40]

And a winwing F18 throttle, which in terms of throttle accuracy is probably the best of them. They are also releasing a modular warthog style throttle soon.

I'm sure the virpil is fine too, I love their stick, far more than VKB, though its better than the TM ones.

View All Quotes

Cool, I'll see if I can track down a winwing. If I can't I may just go for the virpil. Hard to find these things out there.

Eta whew boy those things are spendy lol

Also another dumb question...I am going to need a flight checklist and key binding notes...how the hell do you pull that off with a VR headset on??
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 7:54:55 AM EDT
[#41]
I really wanna buy winwing stuf, but they are out of stock 87% of the time...

Bummer.

If someone has 30min to help me configure my vr I would be glad to retry my reverb g2.... all these steam vr options are beyond me
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 10:39:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#42]
I really wanna buy winwing stuf, but they are out of stock 87% of the time...

Bummer.

If someone has 30min to help me configure my vr I would be glad to retry my reverb g2.... all these steam vr options are beyond me
View Quote

Yeah, they have been hit hard by Covid. I just managed to snag a takeoff panel on their last restock only to have them somehow fuck up the order and have it return shipped back to them.

Check out thuds vr for dcs. He's got a whole guide for each headset.

https://vr4dcs.com/
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 10:55:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#43]

Cool, I'll see if I can track down a winwing. If I can't I may just go for the virpil. Hard to find these things out there.

Eta whew boy those things are spendy lol

Also another dumb question...I am going to need a flight checklist and key binding notes...how the hell do you pull that off with a VR headset on??
View Quote

Yeah, DCS is not a cheap hobby. Other thing I'll point out about the WW taurus throttle is that its fucking huge being 1:1. Its significantly larger than the WH throttle. Not sure on their new model, that looks to be more normal sized.

So for VR, here is my 2 cents...

DO not USE keybinds. Put the keyboard down/away as much as  you can. You are IN the PLANE. PUSH the BUTTONS. (this is where point-control comes in handy, but I played for a long time with a mouse, and some guys use trackpads/balls). Most headsets do have a nose gap you can look at the kbd with though if you really need though. Otherwise worst case map some things to the hotas using shift bindings.

Checklists: Use the DCS kneeboard editor to make your  own and put them on the kneeboard
Writing in VR: There is a VR notepad mod.

Link Posted: 3/14/2021 11:33:47 AM EDT
[#44]

Yeah, DCS is not a cheap hobby. Other thing I'll point out about the WW taurus throttle is that its fucking huge being 1:1. Its significantly larger than the WH throttle. Not sure on their new model, that looks to be more normal sized.

So for VR, here is my 2 cents...

DO not USE keybinds. Put the keyboard down/away as much as  you can. You are IN the PLANE. PUSH the BUTTONS. (this is where point-control comes in handy, but I played for a long time with a mouse, and some guys use trackpads/balls). Most headsets do have a nose gap you can look at the kbd with though if you really need though. Otherwise worst case map some things to the hotas using shift bindings.

Checklists: Use the DCS kneeboard editor to make your  own and put them on the kneeboard
Writing in VR: There is a VR notepad mod.

View Quote

Ah the knee board and the notepad are just what I will need. Awesome, thanks man.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 11:36:46 AM EDT
[#45]

Ah the knee board and the notepad are just what I will need. Awesome, thanks man.
View Quote

Yeah check the dcs mods section, lots of people already have made checklists etc. I tend to make my own but you can save some time by looking at examples.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 10:49:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Also...

Pro-tip....

Stay clear of "fail master" products...

Just had my TM-WH throttle randomly fail to be recognized. Its maybe like 3 years old max... Previously had the joystick fail... VKB (0 fails, Virpil 0 fails, FSSB 0 fails, TM cougar (with FSSB TSUBA mod 0 fails).

Link Posted: 3/14/2021 11:16:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Also...

Pro-tip....

Stay clear of "fail master" products...

Just had my TM-WH throttle randomly fail to be recognized. Its maybe like 3 years old max... Previously had the joystick fail... VKB (0 fails, Virpil 0 fails, FSSB 0 fails, TM cougar (with FSSB TSUBA mod 0 fails).

View Quote

Again, thanks for the tip. I've decided to go ahead and just get the virpil throttle too. Ordered some fox mounts.
That's... everything now except the damn 3080 lol.

What are everyones thoughts on the Thunder? I read it's a good place to start even though I really want the Viper, but I know there's some issues.

If this has already been discussed in the last 10 pages or so just let me know, I'm behind on this thread.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 5:55:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#48]

Again, thanks for the tip. I've decided to go ahead and just get the virpil throttle too. Ordered some fox mounts.

What are everyones thoughts on the Thunder? I read it's a good place to start even though I really want the Viper, but I know there's some issues.

If this has already been discussed in the last 10 pages or so just let me know, I'm behind on this thread.
View Quote

Yeah, post up a review of the Virpil throttle, I only have the sticks. And fox mounts are great, I'm putting that guys kid through college with those...

I was an early adopter aficionado of the JF-17 (jeff). Its more or less "complete" unlike most of the other modules is the main reason I recommend it. They do change/update stuff on it (I think they are still re-doing the A/G radar to the new standard for example) but for the most part it works, plus it has an actual functional DTC which pays major dividends online when planning missions. I also like the fact their TGP is fairly realistic in the sense its not the magic eye of sauron like ED's stuff (which will hopefully change soon). Performance wise its decent enough, its about like a hornet kinematically if you don't overload it, SD-10's are ok in terms of missiles but not latest/greatest standard. Strike is what it excels at IMO, but its capable A/A. Part of the assessment is that both the Viper and hornet are still very much works in progress. The Vipers radar is laughably overmodeled performance wise (range should be about half of what it is now), and the hornets FM is all sorts of overperforming fubar right now (outrating Vipers, outturning M2k's) too as is the vipers overspeed problem (think of the viper as an F15 and its fine). I'm sure ED will at some point fix all those things but for now both planes absurdly overperform in various ways, plus the hornet systems need a redo for alot of them, and its unclear if/when ED will do that. But given those issues both planes tend to outperform the Jeff when they really shouldn't.

The main upside of the Jeff is that you won't have to relearn how the F to use a system for the 3rd or 4th time when it gets "fixed" (lookin at the hornet and JDAMs).
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#49]

Yeah, post up a review of the Virpil throttle, I only have the sticks. And fox mounts are great, I'm putting that guys kid through college with those...

I was an early adopter aficionado of the JF-17 (jeff). Its more or less "complete" unlike most of the other modules is the main reason I recommend it. They do change/update stuff on it (I think they are still re-doing the A/G radar to the new standard for example) but for the most part it works, plus it has an actual functional DTC which pays major dividends online when planning missions. I also like the fact their TGP is fairly realistic in the sense its not the magic eye of sauron like ED's stuff (which will hopefully change soon). Performance wise its decent enough, its about like a hornet kinematically if you don't overload it, SD-10's are ok in terms of missiles but not latest/greatest standard. Strike is what it excels at IMO, but its capable A/A. Part of the assessment is that both the Viper and hornet are still very much works in progress. The Vipers radar is laughably overmodeled performance wise (range should be about half of what it is now), and the hornets FM is all sorts of overperforming fubar right now (outrating Vipers, outturning M2k's) too as is the vipers overspeed problem (think of the viper as an F15 and its fine). I'm sure ED will at some point fix all those things but for now both planes absurdly overperform in various ways, plus the hornet systems need a redo for alot of them, and its unclear if/when ED will do that. But given those issues both planes tend to outperform the Jeff when they really shouldn't.

The main upside of the Jeff is that you won't have to relearn how the F to use a system for the 3rd or 4th time when it gets "fixed" (lookin at the hornet and JDAMs).
View All Quotes

Interesting. It seems overperformance wouldn't be too big of a problem for a noob. I watched some videos on the JF17 and F16 and the avionics in the Jeff look pretty awesome.

The little kid in me just really really wants the F16 though lol
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 9:22:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#50]

Interesting. It seems overperformance wouldn't be too big of a problem for a noob. I watched some videos on the JF17 and F16 and the avionics in the Jeff look pretty awesome.

The little kid in me just really really wants the F16 though lol
View Quote

I mean, its a problem if you decide to do something other than play "I win" against the retarded AI. If DCS bills itself as "not ace combat" then it should have some real world numbers for things like radar. Both the Current Viper and Hornet radars overperform by absurd margins, realistically the Viper should be detecting stuff at like 30nm at best not 50-80+ and yeah I have real numbers.. And the fact that the F18 can outrate the F16 and F15 is a bad joke. Its no big deal if you want to play god mode vs the AI, no one cares, but the entire PVP community is beyond pissed off about it, and its been like this for a while. I mean the Jeff radar was a joke for months, but at least Deka listened in and fixed the worst of it.

Page / 79
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top