User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 79
Posted: 12/15/2018 7:07:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys]
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 11:49:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I had been flying the AV8B for a bit and just got the F18. Took a few month break and forgot everything.

Still trying to learn it. Definitely a lot faster than the Harrier.

Still mapping out the controls on my Warthog HOTAS and figure out the systems. Will add you to my discord.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:07:42 AM EDT
[#2]
In on 1.

Mirage 2000C junkie, checking in.

All other modules, ask someone else.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:05:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#3]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:15:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shung] [#4]
I own all the modules.

I'm most competent in the A-10C, hornet, F-5, harrier, and Huey.

I can fly all of them easely, but for example I don't master the weapon system of the 2000 well

I often play on the buddy spike and the through the inferno severs. With SRS comms of course
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:22:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:23:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Zack3g:
I own DCS and several modules, but I don't have the bandwidth for online play...and I also don't have a flight control setup at the moment.

Both of these things are on the eventual "to do" list.
View Quote
For info I play on a 4g connection and it's rock solid
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:25:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:51:10 AM EDT
[#8]
F-5 and F-18 here. Total noob at multiplayer.

I have to get SRS and my HOTAS setup for multiplayer comms, but I’d love to fly soon.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:12:45 AM EDT
[#9]
It can already be nice to fly some training flights, especially in the Hornet (or Harrier).

We can practice some carrier ops, refueling etc.

I have no merit because i have been doing that sim thing for decades and my setup is making everything so easy, but I can teach a few things to those interested.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:58:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#10]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
i need to get a better joystick trying to tank really reinforced that.

my stick is not good with fine adjustments. once you make it out of center it turns into a huge one. its too clunky.

it works for general flying but it takes too much force to move it out of center.
View Quote
Axis curves.

I'll try messing with them again but I dont think its just that, the stick is physically clunky. like you have to overcome the initial friction to get it to move, maybe you could tone it down a bit with the curves but its just a 40 dollar hotas so im not asking too much of it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 11:37:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:
Axis curves.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:
i need to get a better joystick trying to tank really reinforced that.

my stick is not good with fine adjustments. once you make it out of center it turns into a huge one. its too clunky.

it works for general flying but it takes too much force to move it out of center.
Axis curves.
This.  Around 20 on X/Y works for me.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:00:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the F-18C, A-10C, and the Flaming Cliffs module
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:01:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Hornet, Harrier, Hog, FC3, F-5E, P-51, FW-190, BF-109, Hawk , and Huey. Loving the Hornet so far, learning the Harrier, pretty decent in the Hog.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:59:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:54:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sfljohn] [#15]
persian gulf
f86
f5e
mirage
mig21
a10c
f18
gazelle
ka50

Link Posted: 12/17/2018 12:55:00 AM EDT
[#16]
I am reasonably able to keep them aloft and have a basic understanding of most systems in the 18, which is what I mainly fly. I can land on the carrier about 5% of the time. Haven't flown the A10 in a while.

Also have FC3 and all the warbirds except the Spit.

Actually dogfighting, I'm hopeless at mostly because I always lose visual on the bandits.

I've been playing IL2 a lot lately, and that seems a bit easier for me to follow.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:06:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:15:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Was fun will be on tomorrow night probably around 6 or 7.

got shot down a lot tonight there werent a lot of other players on and a lot of harder ai's flying around.
View Quote
All things considered I think we did well, especially that last sortie on Caucasus.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:27:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:12:46 AM EDT
[#20]
HARMs are slated for January, with GBUs coming this Wednesday.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:01:12 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm interested in this.

As a non aerospace individual, how difficult is it to get this up and going and flying?  I don't have a flying sim and I've always wanted to get one.

Do I need to order a bunch of equipment to make it worth playing, or can I start with a mouse/keyboard combo and move up when I'm ready?

Bonus points that I saw it works with Oculus rift, which I have.

Also, work filter prevents me from looking at "games" so I can't do much research other than wiki and some review sites that aren't game related.

Cost per modules?  Required specs?

For reference:
AMD Ryzen 2600x
32GB DDR 3200
M2.nvme 512 drive
EVGA 1060 superclocked @ 1080p monitor

Hopefully that's enough to get me going.

What else do I need to know?
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:48:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Joehs:
I'm interested in this.

As a non aerospace individual, how difficult is it to get this up and going and flying?  I don't have a flying sim and I've always wanted to get one.

Do I need to order a bunch of equipment to make it worth playing, or can I start with a mouse/keyboard combo and move up when I'm ready?

Also, work filter prevents me from looking at "games" so I can't do much research other than wiki and some review sites that aren't game related.

For reference:
AMD Ryzen 2600x
32GB DDR 3200
M2.nvme 512 drive

View Quote
Your hardware is probably fine, though I think  VR might be pushing it.

Basic DCS is free and comes with the Su-25T. Additional modules are $15-80 depending on the plane.

You can do it with mouse and keyboard (at least one person here does), but I’d recommend picking up a HOTAS. Keekleberrys flew last night with a $50 set. If you play with your Rift I don’t see how you’d do it without a HOTAS.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:52:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By GilenusX207:

Your hardware is probably fine, though I think  VR might be pushing it.

Basic DCS is free and comes with the Su-25T. Additional modules are $15-80 depending on the plane.

You can do it with mouse and keyboard (at least one person here does), but I’d recommend picking up a HOTAS. Keekleberrys flew last night with a $50 set. If you play with your Rift I don’t see how you’d do it without a HOTAS.
View Quote
Excellent, will look into getting it downloaded tonight.

I'll take a peek at a HOTAS.  Any recommendations?

I'll probably look into the 20x series cards next spring when the prices start to fall a bit.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:52:51 AM EDT
[#24]
A cheaper but decent HOTAS is the X52 (I liked mine).  A more expensive one is the Thrustmaster Warthog.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 12:58:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:
A cheaper but decent HOTAS is the X52 (I liked mine).  A more expensive one is the Thrustmaster Warthog.
View Quote
Is thrustmaster a good brand?   Looks like the T.16000M is ~100$ on amazon.  Any better options in that price range?
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 12:59:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Is thrustmaster a good brand?   Looks like the T.16000M is ~100$ on amazon.  Any better options in that price range?
View Quote
I like my Warthog but I can't speak to the rest of their line.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 4:09:05 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote
Thats what I use, but definitely snag the throttle unit with it. It's almost mandatory just for the TDC controller.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:54:28 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote
they are, the only thing better than the HOTAS Warthog that a few of us have(and you need rudder pedal for the warthog) is the virpil stuff
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:39:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#29]
I'm interested in this.

For reference:
AMD Ryzen 2600x
32GB DDR 3200
M2.nvme 512 drive

View Quote
More than enough to get started. Get a hotas to start, add pedals later. For VR the card will likely work but bottom of the barrel settings from the research ive done. For a regular montior you are more than GTG on higer settings.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:42:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By sfljohn:

they are, the only thing better than the HOTAS Warthog that a few of us have(and you need rudder pedal for the warthog) is the virpil stuff
View Quote
Big +1 on the warthog, well worth it imo, but only if you plan on getting serious with it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 1:03:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By sfljohn:

View Quote
I think the VKB MCG is even better.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 10:10:34 AM EDT
[#32]
I've got a Warthog as well, and I had a Cougar before that.  I've been kicking around getting the USB adapter to run the Cougar throttle with the Warthog stick.  Really miss the radar cursor and antenna elevation when flying fighters.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 2:35:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoeyIsaacs] [#33]
FYI Guys!

I started a thread also for gaming hardware mods that has the latest info on the MFD build outs I did with the 3d printer files and what equipment is needed.

This was Rev A.  Still working out some other things on them.  Had an issue with the printer and infill on the top layers of the base insert, but I think I have those worked out.   I also have the 3D files that someone on the DCS forums released for doing a working APC unit.   And am working on some button boxes too.

If anyone is interested in Button Boxes, let me know.  I have a lot of hardware I bought to do them a while back for some sim racers.  I can build one a hell of a lot cheaper than they are being sold for right now.   I have one I am working on right now and will get some pics posted up soon of them.

The 3D printer I have is the Creality Ender 3.  Not the top of the line, but not the bottom either.  For everything I have thrown at it, it has worked flawless.  The problems I have encountered has been my fault and not the printer.  Great investment!

Hardware Mods Thread

Link Posted: 12/18/2018 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 5:21:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By GilenusX207:
HARMs are slated for January, with GBUs coming this Wednesday.
View Quote
as long as we have our own targeting pod taking GBU's doesnt make much sense.

unless you do buddy lasing with a friend in a Harrier for example
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 5:25:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By CropDusterC6:
I've got a Warthog as well, and I had a Cougar before that.  I've been kicking around getting the USB adapter to run the Cougar throttle with the Warthog stick.  Really miss the radar cursor and antenna elevation when flying fighters.
View Quote
just plug the whole COugar and only use the throttle and use the Full stick from the Warthog. than split the controls in DCS. also, i think that you can set it up within target if you wanted

I also have both. I stopped using the Cougar (both my DAN modded one and my FSSB modded) except for BMS and maybe if they do a F-16 in DCS
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 5:31:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shung] [#37]
my current set up

everything installed in my old akerbarnes type homepit

Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:45:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Working on getting discord setup on the VMFA-87 server and to have SRS up and running.

What is the 107th that everyone is talking about?

I see 2alpha-down0 on right now.

I did change my nickname to Joker 3-1 successfully on Discord.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 10:27:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:12:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Thanks!  I jumped into the VMFA-87 Discord tonight.  Joker 3-1.  I thought I saw somewhere that we were to put a -H or something in our name to be able to recognize all of us, but cant find it now.

Im still learning about the SRS and Discord and how to get it setup and working in DCS.

But in the mean time...  I started making another thing.  

I found an arcade joystick with the controller board I need for not too much more than the board...  Thinking that could be a nice gear lever.  That or I can print a hockey puck off to slide onto a heavier toggle switch.  

(doesnt show all the switches/colors I am planning on using)
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:27:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#41]
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:34:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Ok, I joined the discord under Anvil762...and accidentaly created an AnvilUSMC account that joined too... I've started dabling in online DCS but mostly play offline. I need to get(or build) a trackir setup, not having it is fine offline but gets old quick online. Any recommended builds?
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:30:20 PM EDT
[#43]
There are face recognition trac systems that can use a webcam (like on a laptop) that might be worth checking out.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Honestly, compared to the other items I have purchased between the Warthog, rudders, MDF's, monitors, cables, adapters, hubs...  The $150 or so I spent on the TrackIR Pro was a drop in the bucket.

Well worth the investment.   Get the pro model for the few dollars more.   The Pro tracker unit attaches to your headset.  Dont even realize you have it on, it is more accurate and seems to have a wider range of coverage.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 6:15:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sixpack595] [#45]
New DCS video out with not so subtle teaser at the end. Winter sale announced too. 50% off a lot of (all the?) stuff.

Wonder when pre-orders start.

https://youtu.be/RlmUWO2JL6I
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By JoeyIsaacs:
Honestly, compared to the other items I have purchased between the Warthog, rudders, MDF's, monitors, cables, adapters, hubs...  The $150 or so I spent on the TrackIR Pro was a drop in the bucket.

Well worth the investment.   Get the pro model for the few dollars more.   The Pro tracker unit attaches to your headset.  Dont even realize you have it on, it is more accurate and seems to have a wider range of coverage.
View Quote
Do you have first hand experience with the track clip vs the pro?  I've been using the clip for a few years and never had an issue, but I have it mounted to my favorite hat that was unwillingly retired by the GF a few years ago.

I know a lot of guys use the PS camera and one of the free solutions.  They seem to work as well as TrackIR if a bit more work.  Of course they are also massively cheaper.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 6:58:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Sixpack595:
New DCS video out with not so subtle teaser at the end. Winter sale announced too. 50% off a lot of (all the?) stuff.

View Quote
ED makes great promo vids for sure... Never mind half the planes are arcade mode, the other half are various states of incomplete or broken. And for any of it to look even remotely like the vid you need an i9 with sli 2080ti's...

I hope the viper is even remotely as decently modled as the BMS ones. Im sure itl look prettier but....
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By JoeyIsaacs:

View Quote
TIR or something similar is well worth it IMO. Unless you go full VR.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:33:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Sixpack595:

View Quote
Was that an F-16 I saw?
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 12:57:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Someday I'll set my pit up again and fly with you guys, I have everything up until the Hornet/Persian gulf. I know the hog inside and out and I can fly the tits off of the Huey.

I can't stand Discord though, it doesn't distinguish between different devices for the PTT button, so button 1 on your throttle, stick, panels, ect all activate the PTT.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 79
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top