Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2019 6:48:46 PM EDT
Just a quick question, does anyone's department allow them to carry duty weapons with modified triggers?

ETA: If your department allows personally owned guns to be used, can you change out the trigger?
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#1]
No for us.  Same goes for off duty weapons.  No modification outside manufacturers recommendation.  Only approved light is TLR1 too.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 9:03:15 PM EDT
[#2]
No modifications to duty weapon.

BUG is approved as they are personally owned.

Select mods (Rail, Stock, Sling) are allowed on patrol rifle, as long as it can be returned to the original configuration.

Shotgun is same as patrol rifle.

Edit: No mods to magazines either.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 2:00:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Double.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 2:02:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Not ours. Factory only.  But we have a list of approved manufacturers.  So I carry a Combat Elite or my M&P Pro Series.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 8:42:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#6]
We cannot modify any internal parts including triggers, springs, BCGs, etc. Rails, charging handles, sights, grips, lights, etc. are open game as long as the rifle can be returned it’s original condition.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 1:48:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I allow new sights or magwells only on the external.  Internally, you can install a glock 31 trigger if you don't like the 32 trigger (we issue 31s to patrol and 32s to admin/detectives)
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 2:16:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Never heard of a PD that allowed it,  Civil liability issues
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 11:18:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Nope. Must remain factory.

We are allowed our choice of Night Sights and can use a grip enhancement like talon grips. THATS it.

Cant even put an extended mag release...
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 3:59:30 AM EDT
[#10]
No after market triggers or mods on our issued glocks.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 6:13:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No after market triggers or mods on our issued glocks.
View Quote
This, with the exception you can add aftermarket sights. Some guys do use modded guns and they get around it by using personally owned guns that are approved by our armorer.

ETA:  WML are good to go if you count that as a mod.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 6:55:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I had our department armorers change out my sights for the Trijicon HD and I changed out the base pads to the Vickers on our new M&P 2.0 I got issued last week.
We can't mess with the trigger. The city bought flashlights for our guns, Night Stick. Bright but it isn't my Surefire. Can't change it either.
The holster we got is the 7365 and it is a piece of shit. I'll be buying another 6360 that fits the 2.0
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Any changes to the issued weapon is going to result in a bad time without any lube.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#14]
yeah, no outside mods
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 3:47:32 AM EDT
[#15]
None locally that I know of. Opens you up to way too much liability.

Honestly, with modern striker fired handguns, I don't see a reason to change them for duty use.
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 8:08:52 PM EDT
[#16]
No modifications to trigger or other internals. Sights, slide stops, grips, magwell, magazine release etc are all gtg.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 2:04:16 PM EDT
[#17]
We issue Glock 22's.  I opted to carry my Glock 35.  I had to have an armorer put in the stock 5.5 trigger vs the 4.5 "tactical/practical" trigger.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 12:47:56 PM EDT
[#18]
We are not allowed to modify handguns with anything but aftermarket grips or sights. That said I "may" know someone with a couple of glocktriggers.com drop-ins on his personally owned guns even though the rules for duty guns extends to personally owned ones as well.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#19]
We can change the triggers in our p320s as long as they are factory sig like the x5 trigger. Our duty rifles if privately owned must be signed off by the armorer. He measured my ssa-e after saying it couldn’t be below 4lb. He didn’t say a word and signed off anyway. My mbt consistently measured 3.8lb on his gauge. Most guys on the swat team have Geissele, larue, or cmc triggers.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 4:47:29 PM EDT
[#20]
For us, nothing aftermarket except for night sights. We're issued the Streamlight TLR-1 but can purchase and use a Surefire if we want.

I don't care about the trigger, but I would love to be allowed to get a good stipple job and trigger guard undercut. Also, we're switching to the G17 MOS but if I had a choice I'd just get the slide milled.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Nothing aftermarket but sights and grips here.  It's not specifically mentioned the trigger has to be stock, but a department armorer has to approve it and the Chief has to approve it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 3:51:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Anything you do outside of the allowable changes must be approved by the armorer.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 10:05:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Nope!
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 7:08:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Oh hell no.
View Quote
I know of one PD that allows it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 6:38:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Trigger mods?  I guess on a Glock I could make it heavier, but no way would I approve making it lighter.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 9:45:10 AM EDT
[#26]
If you’re running a Glock as your duty weapon, you don’t want to fuck with any of the internals (assuming you want it to work when you need it to).

And no, my department doesn’t allow it, either.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:50:05 AM EDT
[#27]
I noticed on the overwatch precision website that they state their triggers are approved for duty use by some departments, I believe it was Mericopa (not sure on that spelling) county Arizona, I also believe that's where Overwatch is based out of. I have been considering getting a copy of their policy on it just out of curiosity.

ETA: now I cant find it
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 9:18:33 PM EDT
[#28]
We are updating our policies and all the firearms policy says is that any modifications are at the discretion and approval of the Head Firearms Instructor, namely me. I can honestly say, I can't see any time I would allow internal mods, especially trigger mods. Seems like a great way to turn a justified shooting into a civil liability nightmare, even more than it usually would be.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 11:48:58 PM EDT
[#29]
I would not fuck with any internals on a duty weapon.  You get in a shooting, and it is found out, both the department and a defense attorney will have your ass.

I have added a custom back plate to my BUG and duty weapon, just the Department Star, other than that, nope, nope.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 12:17:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I have added a custom back plate to my BUG and duty weapon, just the Department Star, other than that, nope, nope.
View Quote
Is your BUG a Glock? If so, and that custom plate is aluminum, as most of them are, it can cause undue wear to the spring loaded bearing (it is plastic), which can cause failures to extract.

If it’s not a Glock, then forget what I just typed ??

Not trying to be some “know-it-all” douchebag, just looking out.

Be safe.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 1:21:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Is your BUG a Glock? If so, and that custom plate is aluminum, as most of them are, it can cause undue wear to the spring loaded bearing (it is plastic), which can cause failures to extract.

If it's not a Glock, then forget what I just typed

Not trying to be some "know-it-all" douchebag, just looking out.

Be safe.
View Quote
It is a Glock, and it is an aluminum back plate.  I will have the armorers check it out next time, especially since I put a lot more rounds down range than our average Trooper, being a firearms instructor.  We have all our weapons armored and deep cleaned (Armorers break them down completely, we clean them, armorers put them back together) every year, and just had it done.   Thank you for the tip!
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 10:56:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Night sights - Must come on the weapon from the factory; and a light are all we are allowed.

Not so much as an aftermarket mag either.

I'm cool with it provided my gear works when if and when I really need it,
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 11:15:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Worked at a large PD back when the only restrictions were based upon caliber (anything from 38/9 up to 44 mag). Carried some highly modified stuff, comped Colt Officers, Briley Versatility Cmdr., BHP40 with C&S upgrades.  By the time I left they had shut that down and gave you only 4 choices of semi autos but my goodies were grandfathered in.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 6:45:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Agency runs solely Glock.. must retain factory trigger specs for issued and off duty carry guns. I've seen a range of lights from Olight, tlr1s and a few x300s. Sights can be swapped by the armorer - must be night sights though.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 7:37:56 AM EDT
[#35]
FBI DSU has been evaluating after market triggers for Glock for several years now. As of yet they have not found one that has an acceptable service life / does not compromise reliability / safety.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 7:45:48 AM EDT
[#36]
No on issued duty weapons, personally owned weapons ok w/ approval of armorer
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:33:46 PM EDT
[#37]
At my previous agency (a small, rural one), I carried either a 19 or 34, both personally owned and lightly modded. Gen3 17 triggers, 3.5# connector, 6# trigger springs, and 25 cent polish. Frames were also stippled. The policy didn’t prohibit modifications, so I exploited it.

When the current sheriff took office, I actually submitted a revised firearms policy (being the senior instructor and sole armorer at the time). I never heard back on it.

Current agency is highly regulated. Zero mods to issued pistols, only Swat can have WML, no mods to issued rifles, but they do allow personal rifles as long as they’re approved by the training officer.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 6:36:11 AM EDT
[#38]
If you run a Sig P320 variant or P22X model (9mm or .45), you can run a Grey Guns trigger since they provide triggers for the Legion line.  
Other than that, no other aftermarket triggers for Sig, and no aftermarket triggers for Glock and M&P.  
You can run a “-“ connector for Glocks, since it’s an OE part.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 8:38:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Can't tinker with the issue gun.  If you elect to provide your own, no rule against it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 1:04:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Whoa, maybe our agency doesn’t suck that bad... large (100ish) agency, handguns are all personally owned, either Glock, Sig, S&W, Colt, or really anything else 9, .40, or .45 plus two guys with FN 5.7s. Mods just need to be approved by rangemaster, internals all stay the same but stuff that enhances grip, reloads, etc are good.

Stippling, magwells, ambi controls, extended releases, MRDS (RMR, Holosun, ACRO, DPP, anything reputable) and of course almost every type of iron sight and weapon light.

Rifles are even more free- also personally owned, literally any AR platform in 5.56 or .223, NFA allowed if you have the stamps.

I don’t buy the “you’ll get crucified after a shooting” BS. Our last two shootings were with Franken-AR’s, one fatal, and no one cared.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:21:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
...plus two guys with FN 5.7s.
View Quote
WTF...  What genius thought it was acceptable to authorize the use of a round with the ballistics of a .22WMR for LE duty pistols?

Please for the love of God reach out to Jacksonville SWAT and ask them about their multiple failures to stop suspects with the 5.7x28 out of the P90s they used to have.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top