Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2022 11:51:12 AM EDT
My kids and I have been doing Stronglifts for quite a while and I would like to switch it up, or maybe add something.  I'm still making progressbut it's slowed a bit qnd we are getting bored too. I used to do only Westside conjugate but I would like to aim more towards hypertrophy this time. I've looked at Madcow and it looks pretty good. I have a squat rack,  bench and sled. Any other suggestions? I would prefer one with a good app to track progress.  I'm on TRT, so more volume is doable. Thx
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 12:01:52 PM EDT
[#1]
One of the many 531 variants would work well. BBB, body building, NOV, they're all pretty good and keep strength dominate.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 5:07:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One of the many 531 variants would work well. BBB, body building, NOV, they're all pretty good and keep strength dominate.
View Quote

Boring But Big is exactly what it says.

My shoulders blew up on it.

My strength didn't move much though.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 5:47:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My lower body strength went up a lot, upper body not so much.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#4]
The BBB variation looks to be 5x10 reps of the main lift added on at the end at 60% or so. Is this correct? Are they done in place of the accessory movements?  I'm wondering if this same thing can be done with the main lifts on SL 5x5.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#5]
You have to go into 531 understanding that it's not as strict.

You 5x10 sets can be from 50% to 70% of your training max. Your training max is the number that you use for each cycle to base all your working sets off of, and is to be adjusted as needed.

He recommends going conservative with it to start.

So if you are having trouble getting through your 5x10 at 60% with deadlifts, but squats are fine, you might drop deadlifts to 50% instead. The idea being that your volume work is good reps with good bar speed.

Doing 5x5 then trying for another 5x10 will be brutal, there is a single topset each week with 531, and there are options for additional heavy sets, but they are excluded from BBB. You do your top set, you do your 5x10 work, then you do any assistance work you think you need on top of that and you get out.

I would always just do something like rows with the same weight as bench, pullups opposite of overhead press, and core work with deadlifts and squats while doing the 5x10. It goes relatively quick.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#6]
That sounds cool. On the ap after the BBB set there's a long list of accessory lifts. I only.pick one of these, not all of them yes?
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 4:46:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That sounds cool. On the ap after the BBB set there's a long list of accessory lifts. I only.pick one of these, not all of them yes?
View Quote

I'm going to recommend reading one of the 531 books, he lays out what to do in each pre-made variant and why.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 7:45:18 AM EDT
[#8]
4 Sets That Will Build SERIOUS MUSCLE
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Not stronglifts, but I added kinetic exercises using kettlebells into my routine , ie, I mix static heavy bench, row etc with the kettlebell / crossfit stuff/ ropes etc.  

I enjoy it.  I also trade out exercises about every 3-4 weeks to keep it interesting.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 9:30:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I like 5/3/1. There are endless variations. I'm running BBS right now, but have done also sorts of variations over the past 2 years.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#11]
We started doing 531 BBB a few weeks ago and are really enjoying it.  We swapped the BBB workout so we are doing each excersize twice weekly. For instance  531 DL, BBB SQ; 531 Bench,  BBB press, etc.  Increased the sled work for more cardio.  The ap is really good too.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We started doing 531 BBB a few weeks ago and are really enjoying it.  We swapped the BBB workout so we are doing each excersize twice weekly. For instance  531 DL, BBB SQ; 531 Bench,  BBB press, etc.  Increased the sled work for more cardio.  The ap is really good too.
View Quote

He actually no longer recommends swapping the days. Makes sense I guess because then you are hitting your top set before getting to your volume work.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 9:50:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh damn. Really? Maybe on the next cycle I'll switch it back and see how it goes. Thanks for the heads up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top