Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 3/8/2023 3:14:34 PM EDT
Well we got home from the vet.... They took a syringe out of my dogs leg looked at it under a microscope and said it was a mast tumor...

Facts: he is a 13.5 year old Labradoodle. His hips are showing weakness. His eyes and ears aren't the greatest anymore.

The Vet says they can remove the tumor and send it away for more information about it.

The surgery is $1200 which I can afford.

On paper it seems like the correct choice is to not have the surgery and when he gets bag enough to put him down.

I am torn. I love the little fella dearly and have been ugly crying since the appointment....  I don't want to needlessly cut his life short, but he is already on the decline due to hip weakness. I don't have him rough house or jump anymore. He is a puppy at heart and still plays with the kids.

My wife says she on board for either option. I know my kids will want the surgery...

Any advice?

Man this sucks.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 3:53:18 PM EDT
[#1]

but he is already on the decline due to hip weakness.
View Quote

At this point, I think you know what needs to be done. God give you the strength to do so.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 4:01:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Will the surgery help his quality of life or just let you know what the tumor is?

Sounds like he's in a general decline and it would be best to keep him as happy as possible until his quality of life is poor.

Been there too often.  My condolences.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 4:13:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mike_314:
Will the surgery help his quality of life or just let you know what the tumor is?

Sounds like he's in a general decline and it would be best to keep him as happy as possible until his quality of life is poor.

Been there too often.  My condolences.
View Quote

It would prevent the tumor from mastastitizing(sp)  and spreading.... I guess it comes down to how much time the surgery would give him until his hips stop working...
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 4:16:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Surgery one and done and you can afford it then I’d give it a shot.

Any long term chemo then I say no way, it’s way too much for a senior dog that doesn’t understand and wants to enjoy life.

Whatever you decide you have my prayers.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 4:33:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mike_314:
View Quote

This.  

If he has some time he can enjoy life, I'd pay for the surgery, especially if you can afford it.

But this is always a sad decision when you get there.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 5:16:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SixpackinOk] [#6]
If the pain from the surgery will cause him to have less pain for long enough to make it worth it, I would say do it. If the surgery will cause the pup too much pain, I wouldn't have it done. I guess there is nothing they can do about his hips since you didn't say anything about them. It's really a no-win situation it sounds like. Part of the decision if it was me would be how old the kids are also.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 6:26:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd put him down. Enjoy the time you've had, dragging things out sucks.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 8:43:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 7:01:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you all for the replies.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 6:50:21 PM EDT
[#10]
We gents, I did the surgery. He has thrived since then, until the last couple of weeks. Another tumor presented in his groin and grew quickly.

We said out goodbyes today.

He was a a good boy. His name was Malbec.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 7:52:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Im sorry to hear man.  I hope you all had a good additional few months together.  It sounds like you made the right call, as hard as that may have been.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Sorry for your loss. He had a good long life with a good family. That is a blessing for any pet and their family.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 11:29:28 AM EDT
[#13]
At 13.5, the wise decision is probably to let him go.   But some of us would unwisely consider $1200 a bargain (if you have it) for the chance at adding another year or so to a good friend's life.

It's really a call only you can make, but I doubt you'll catch any flak from anybody here regardless of which path you choose.  Most of us have been there before.  
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top