Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 4/30/2019 2:54:19 PM EDT
We lost our 8-1/2 year old Australian Shepherd to lymphoma on Feb 15th this year. She was much more than a pet, and maybe more than a companion to us. In a lot of ways she was a partner. She was our third Aussie but we'd never had one like her.

Attachment Attached File

When I found out she had lymphoma and her days were numbered, I contacted a breeder/kennel I'd been in contact with for years. I've known for a long time, my next dog would be from there. We wanted another as close to Gin(ja) as we could get but with merles, particularly red, being in high demand and us being a bit far down "the list" we were offered this red bi male. We knew we wanted a second dog, opposite sex,  so after some consideration we decided to take him and get the female in a year or so from now. His breeding is second to none for working ASs, and his parents are two of the finest dogs I've ever met. This little rascal is a ball of fire. It's almost impossible to get him still enough for a picture. At 9 weeks he has very good recall (working desperately to keep it), will get in his kennel on command, and is doing well on house training. We are working on; sit, lie down, etc... but he doesn't quite have the attention span to get any consistency out of these low activity commands. For his age, so far, I'm really impressed. Within his first 10 mos,  he'll have a chance to work livestock, I'll also use a frisbee to get him some of the high energy activity he needs. (same as I've done with previous ASs)

So... here is Ranger, his "sister" will be Scout. We will not be breeding them.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 3:11:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm sorry to hear about you losing your pup.  A friend emailed me today to say they just found out their chocolate lab has liver cancer.  

I'm glad you gave that new pup a good home.   It's a cute pup!
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 3:44:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm sorry to hear about you losing your pup.  A friend emailed me today to say they just found out their chocolate lab has liver cancer.  

I'm glad you gave that new pup a good home.   It's a cute pup!
View Quote
Thank you. I really feel for your friend. I had five weeks to prepare myself for what I knew was coming, but I wasn't prepared for how I felt after. A new pup helps, and I'm old so I've lost dogs before. Gin was a really special one for me.

I am really looking forward to raising/training this little guy, he's a character. Sunday he discovered just how fast he can run. Before that he'd kind of been loping along puppy style. He was/is quite impressed with his self
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 5:02:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Range turned 10 mos old a couple of days ago so I was looking at some of his puppy pics then remembered this thread. I changed the title and will post up a few of the adventures he's had (that I have pics of) and some other pics of him growing.

Even as a very young pup, he loved to swim. Gin loved the water, but didn't care much for swimming. Range swims tirelessly and you can't keep him out of the water. We live in a neighborhood on a lake so it can become a problem.
In July it was "cute". By October, I recognized I could have a potential problem.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 5:15:58 PM EDT
[#6]
By late May he looked like the the top pic. A couple of weeks later I took the second pic of him at the vet after he'd been bitten in the yard by a copperhead, right hind leg. He recovered fine but still has the scar.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 11:54:09 AM EDT
[#7]
In Nov we went to see how he felt about herding some goats. He worked silently with enthusiasm, he could do well at this.
Attachment Attached File

He won't likely ever be formally trained for trials or see cattle on a regular basis, but I do have access to some. Once he gets rid of his puppy silliness, we'll introduce him.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Happy First Birthday Range.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top