Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/2/2021 3:59:44 PM EDT
I'm setting up a home gym.
The main unit will arrive Monday.

I picked up an incline/decline bench for situps and dumbbell work.

Because I'm somewhat short on square footage I'm considering an adjustable dumbbell set.

Let me know what you like and dislike and why.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 4:30:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Core. If you have the money and need the Range, Nuobell or Bowflex.

I have a set of cores and absolutely love them, but I need more at this point

If you need to drop the weights, ironmaster or powerblock

Owned a set of power blocks and my only real gripe with them was the change time. I used to do a lot of pyramid/drop sets so if that’s a consideration for you, iron master should be right out
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 6:17:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Those Core dbs look decent if you need lighter weights, but for adjustable dbs in heavier weights it comes down to Power Blocks, Ironmaster, or some quality spinlocks like Hampton Snug-Grip.

Bowflex are absolute trash. No fucking way I'm putting 90lb adjustables over my head/face when the plates are held in place with plastic latches. Fuck that. Ever seen a set on display in a store? Always broken. Bottom rung as far as adjustable dbs go.

They're also huge. If you're okay with huge, buy some olympic handles and a bunch of 10lb plates. They'll be awkward, but won't break when/if you drop 'em.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Fuck bowflex dbs.

Broke mine in nothing flat.

The weak link id s that the catch on the plates depends on a wee little plastic nub.

Drop once and they’re toast.

And they won’t sell you parts.

Dear bowflex, GFY
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 9:39:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I have extremely limited room at well.

I have the 120lb Ironmaster set. So each dumbbell is 5 - 120lbs.

Very happy with them.

Downside is that they're a little slow to change out.  This is only an issue with intervals.

I also have their larger grips and curl bar. I like the grips, wish they were the diameter of Fat Grips though, and the curl barl is ok at best.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 2:41:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I have power block sport exp set.

Love them.

Downsides, you can't drop them even on a rubber floor because of how the parts fit together, switching weight is fast but not as fast as a full dumbell set and you can't increase weight across the full range in 2.5 increments.  10, 5, 7.5 only.

Build quality is fantastic though and the space savings is amazing.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 9:13:01 AM EDT
[#6]
As stated in the GD thread, several members (myself included) have rocked the Bowflex selectechs for years and no issue.  Some people have issues, but by comparison they seem to be rare.  They also seem to be people who drop their weights (which you shouldn't be doing anyway), but that may not always be the case.

I dunno man, they serve me extremely well, but some love the Powerblock, and some prefer other brands.

Check out Garage Gym Reviews on YT.  He does a great comparison; IIRC there was some scandinavian company that made a set of adjustables that pretty much blew everyone else out of the water, but they cost a pretty penny.

Good  luck in your search.  My Selectechs are robust as shit and have taken a licking for years and just keep coming back for more.  I hope whatever you choose serves you the same!
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 7:23:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the lighter Bowflex ones that go up to 52.5 lbs each. They're annoyingly large when trying to do stuff like overhead presses, curls, and squats, but they get the job done.

Had them since early last year and the only problem I had was one got stuck in the base and I had to YouTube how to fix it.

FYI now they have an adjustable barbell that goes to 80 lbs, or 120 lbs with an addition.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/6/2021 10:30:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the lighter Bowflex ones that go up to 52.5 lbs each. They're annoyingly large when trying to do stuff like overhead presses, curls, and squats, but they get the job done.

Had them since early last year and the only problem I had was one got stuck in the base and I had to YouTube how to fix it.

FYI now they have an adjustable barbell that goes to 80 lbs, or 120 lbs with an addition.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/394169/C29A1FEB-19EF-4EF3-8F96-13CEB61FB884_jpe-1968940.JPG
View Quote

An adjustable barbell!  Genius!

Link Posted: 6/8/2021 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As stated in the GD thread, several members (myself included) have rocked the Bowflex selectechs for years and no issue.  Some people have issues, but by comparison they seem to be rare.  They also seem to be people who drop their weights (which you shouldn't be doing anyway), but that may not always be the case.

I dunno man, they serve me extremely well, but some love the Powerblock, and some prefer other brands.

Check out Garage Gym Reviews on YT.  He does a great comparison; IIRC there was some scandinavian company that made a set of adjustables that pretty much blew everyone else out of the water, but they cost a pretty penny.

Good  luck in your search.  My Selectechs are robust as shit and have taken a licking for years and just keep coming back for more.  I hope whatever you choose serves you the same!
View Quote

He just put out a video about the Selectech 552 today, too. TL;DW is that he's not a fan of so much plastic used in the construction, but still recommends them for the bang-to-buck ratio. He hasn't had an actual failure with his, but he talks about how he would prefer metal locking discs over the plastic ones that Bowflex uses. He mentions some other YouTuber who makes metal replacement discs.

Bowflex 552 Adjustable Dumbbells Review: Cheap, But Good?
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 6:40:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I've had a set of powerblocks for almost 10 years. I like them a lot. My set goes to 70 lbs each side.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 7:05:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

He just put out a video about the Selectech 552 today, too. TL;DW is that he's not a fan of so much plastic used in the construction, but still recommends them for the bang-to-buck ratio. He hasn't had an actual failure with his, but he talks about how he would prefer metal locking discs over the plastic ones that Bowflex uses. He mentions some other YouTuber who makes metal replacement discs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAkgrXzOC1U
View Quote

That’s the one that’s one tier below mine.  Mine go to 90 lbs, and believe me, they are built to last.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 7:15:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That’s the one that’s one tier below mine.  Mine go to 90 lbs, and believe me, they are built to last.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAkgrXzOC1U

Good to know. I still haven't settled on the Selectechs or Powerblocks. Both seem to have a lot of happy customers.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 7:20:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 9:07:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

An adjustable barbell!  Genius!

View Quote

No kidding, it’s amazing we finally have a way to quickly change how much weight we have on our barbells!

I looked at all the different adjustable dumbbells and ended up getting a set of 80lb nuobells. They might break if I drop them but none of the exercises I do with them end with me dropping them so I think I’ll be OK.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 9:35:31 AM EDT
[#15]
I've owned & use every day, Bowflex 552 selecttec adjustable dumbbells for about 20 years, they are great.
Only one issue,  make sure you put a drop of "Wicking Grade Green Loctite" on those Tiny nuts that are part of the mechanism before they come loose.
I say this because i had to reassemble them after they came loose & it was a pita! Loctite solved the problem!
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 10:46:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I got 552s before the covidocalypse cheap from Walmart.

They’re fine, but as noted, treat them gently.

The gym line of power blocks are far tougher, but basically cost the same as a decent set of dumbbells.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 10:54:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I prefer Ironmaster and wish anyone luck trying to break them.

I solved the slower change issue by getting multiple sets.

Their kettlebells are awesome too!

I bought a Rep AB-5200 bench recently and like it as well.

Link Posted: 6/16/2021 12:44:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I like my loadable dumbbells, because they take the Olympic weights I already have.

Best option for heavy rows and presses and saving money.

Probably the worst option if you want to super-set or drop-set.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I like my loadable dumbbells, because they take the Olympic weights I already have.

Best option for heavy rows and presses and saving money.

Probably the worst option if you want to super-set or drop-set.
View Quote

For sure. Even with the ‘quick ring locks’, sloooow.

I wanted to give the Body Beast routine a try so I needed the 552s so I could keep up.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 9:10:45 AM EDT
[#20]
The 90 pounders were recently added to my collection. They're huge

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:48:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/394169/D6EAB378-54C9-49A4-B96A-36246EC03834_jpe-2002349.JPG
View Quote

Nice, I didn't know they made 90lbers
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 11:00:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Power blocks  mine are the old ones

I set up my work it’s to consolidate weights but I’m pretty casual.

You can’t break these things and your aren’t going to have plates fall on your face
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:36:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/394169/D6EAB378-54C9-49A4-B96A-36246EC03834_jpe-2002349.JPG
View Quote

What's the diameter and length of those 90lb dumbbells?  I'm curious how they compare to the Ironmasters at the same weight.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 8:07:50 AM EDT
[#24]
I keep two sets of 1" dumbell plates set up.  A cheap set loaded with 20lbs and a nicer set loaded with 80lbs.  Then I can just add or drop weight to each without taking all the weight off.  Like say if I go from heavy rows to lateral raises, I don't have to mess with the weights too much.

Link Posted: 7/6/2021 8:28:05 AM EDT
[#25]
I've got the Powerblock Pro XXXL set (up to 175lbs per dumbbell), the Ironmaster expanded set (up to 120lbs per dumbbell), and a pair of spinlock 15.75" handles that take regular 1" plates.

They all work.

Of the 3;

- the Powerblocks are the fastest for weight changes, but only for the selector level changes. The handles have 4 solid metal removable weights that are 2.5lbs each, but popping those in/out makes the weight change a lot slower. Whether you like/hate the 'caged' handles is also an individual thing.

- the Ironmaster seem the most solid/durable and the closest to gym dumbbells (but I don't drop dumbbells anyway), but they're slower for pyramids and drop sets.

- the spin lock handles were for using the 1" plates I already had. I specifically got the longer handles (most spinlock dumbbells are 14") so I could load more plates on them. Only had them up to 125lbs each so far, but they work fine. Downside is that resting the ends on your thighs isn't really an option.

I looked at the Selectech dumbbells years ago, but I didn't like the flimsy seeming design, or the fact that the dumbbells are the same size/length/bulk at different weights, and the ones I examined at the time only went to fifty something lbs.

With both the Powerblocks and Ironmaster dumbbells, they at least only get bigger as you increase the weight (the Powerblocks at 175lbs each are pretty darn bulky).
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 8:38:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

What's the diameter and length of those 90lb dumbbells?  I'm curious how they compare to the Ironmasters at the same weight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@jlficken

9.25in diamater at the widest point (website specs say 10in for both width and height but I wasn't getting that)
17.5in length

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/6/2021 9:53:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I wanted Ironmasters, but wasn't sure it was worth it to wait forever to buy them since they're on a lottery basis for the handles. I ended up going with Dumbbell Pepin since I already had 260 lbs of 10 lbs 1" plates, plus 5 lbs, 2.5 lbs, and 1.25 lbs plates. I'm very happy with the setup. I'm able to load the Pepin Dumbbells with up to 120 of plates, so basically 125 lbs each with handles. Having dumbbells you can bench with compliments my Olympic weights, which I also have a ton of. It wasn't a problem using the old school adjustable spin-on handles for certain exercises, but impossible for heavy bench and presses since the bar sticks out the end.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 9:23:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
@jlficken

9.25in diamater at the widest point (website specs say 10in for both width and height but I wasn't getting that)
17.5in length

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/394169/9BD7F8E6-1639-4091-889A-49DF210147CA_jpe-2004457.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/394169/CB8526D9-2CCC-446E-8923-E3A7BEAA5EB1_jpe-2004458.JPG
View Quote

Cool, thanks!

I'll measure the Ironmasters and see what dimensions they have at the same weight.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 10:17:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Ironmasters are:
15.625" long and 6.75" square at 90lbs
18.75" long and 6.75" square at 120lbs.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 11:48:20 PM EDT
[#30]
I got PowerBlock Sport EXP Stage One 2.5 to 50 lbs in 2.5lb increments. I also grabbed the stand too.

They are expandable to Stage Two 60 to 70 lbs and Stage Three 80 to 90 lbs.

I have been using them for 2 weeks. They work well but takes a little bit to figure out how the handle them for certain exercises, but haven't been limited by them as of yet.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 12:03:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I got PowerBlock Sport EXP Stage One 2.5 to 50 lbs and grabbed the stand too.

I have been using them for 2 weeks. They work well but takes a little bit to figure out how the handle them but haven't been limited by them as of yet.
View Quote

Cool, use them for a while and let us know.

I’m still using the bowflex selectechs and can report 0 issues and 100% satisfaction.  Arguably the best fitness investment I’ve ever made.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 1:21:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I got PowerBlock Sport EXP Stage One 2.5 to 50 lbs in 2.5lb increments. I also grabbed the stand too.

I have been using them for 2 weeks. They work well but takes a little bit to figure out how the handle them for certain exercises, but haven't been limited by them as of yet.
View Quote

Awesome!  You'll love them!

I've got stage one and two. I'm about to get stage three and take them to 90.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 5:40:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Cool, use them for a while and let us know.

I’m still using the bowflex selectechs and can report 0 issues and 100% satisfaction.  Arguably the best fitness investment I’ve ever made.
View Quote

Me too! I am the third owner of my set.
Picked them up used for $100. Best gym purchase yet.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 10:25:15 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm thinking about getting the 2nd and 3rd stages because of supply chain issues and I want to be buff after SHTF.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 10:55:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm thinking about getting the 2nd and 3rd stages because of supply chain issues and I want to be buff after SHTF.
View Quote

It took forever to get my stage 2. Get them all.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 11:28:39 AM EDT
[#36]
This is so opportune, and the reason I logged onto this sub-forum this morning.

These are my main take-aways so far:

Nuobell - Nice.  More than I want to pay.

Ironmaster - Nice.  Not what I'm looking for.

Core - Contender.  Looks more like a real dumbbell; plastic parts may wear out over time (not a long track record).  Decent price on WalMart.com (delivered).

Bowflex - Contender.  Mid-range option; plastic parts may wear out over time (does have a good track record).

Powerblock - Contender.  Good reviews; decent price; appear to be really durable.  I'm not sure if I'll like the "grip in the middle" form factor.  Does anyone absolutely hate the grip style?

I'm OK with somewhere around 50 pounds for the house, don't need / plan to expand them, and will not be dropping them.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Powerblock, but a good deal on something else may sway me.

Still researching and hoping for a Black Friday / Christmas sale somewhere.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 12:47:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Powerblock - Contender.  Good reviews; decent price; appear to be really durable.  I'm not sure if I'll like the "grip in the middle" form factor.  Does anyone absolutely hate the grip style?

I'm OK with somewhere around 50 pounds for the house, don't need / plan to expand them, and will not be dropping them.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Powerblock, but a good deal on something else may sway me.

Still researching and hoping for a Black Friday / Christmas sale somewhere.
View Quote

Obviously, I can only speak to the powerblock.

The grip in the middle worried me a bit at first because it feels odd at first to have your hand 'enclosed' while you use them. Honestly it doesn't bother me anymore. Here is where I see the impact the most though. When I'm doing heavy pulls and my grip is nearing the limits as I begin to slip the side parts of the blocks will start to shift toward my wrist. This causes them to contact my watch which irritates me. Its only a factor with the heaviest pull lifts and not the pushs. The nature of the construction also makes using straps with them a pain in the ass if you use straps for your heaviest DB pulls. Deal breaker? No, but it's a difference you should be aware of. I've also found that they aren't very ergonomic for goblet squats, they can be done several ways but they are kind of irritating. All of these issues I consider minor and very worth the trade off for the space and money savings.

No adjustable DB is going to be as durable as steel hex DBs. You cannot drop a powerblock even on a horse mat. The weight plates fit together pretty nicely and even the slightest bend is going to fuck up how they fit.

I'm happy to post pictures or answer any questions on the powerbocks if you want to ask any more questions before you buy.

Link Posted: 11/14/2021 11:33:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Same!  Ha!

These are my main take-aways so far:

Nuobell - Nice.  More than I want to pay.

Agreed, but man, seems to be the best of both worlds.  Fast to change, hopefully more durable than Bowflex, feels/works like a "regular" dumbbell.  But that price...$745.

Core - Contender.  Looks more like a real dumbbell; plastic parts may wear out over time (not a long track record).  Decent price on WalMart.com (delivered).

Looked at those on Amazon (as a less expensive version of the Nuobell), but found a fair amount of talk about breaking parts and shit customer service.  Now worried if 1) that's the price of a clone, or 2) the Nuobell may have the same issues.

Bowflex - Contender.  Mid-range option; plastic parts may wear out over time (does have a good track record).

I think I'm out on these.  I started here, but I'm really stuck between the Nuobell and the Powerblock at this time.

I like the durability, I like that there's no plastic to break.  I don't care about not dropping them, as I don't plan on doing that.  Not a big fan of the weird shape / grip location, though.  It seems the people who have them love them, so I assume you just adapt around them.

Same.  I'm just getting started, so I think it'll be a while before I need more than 50.  I'd probably still by the Nuobell 80 now (since you can't upgrade), or the Powerblock in a 50 (and expand later).  When you consider the 80 lb Nuobell at $745, or the Powerblock Prop costing $907 to get to 90...the Nuobell is right in line with price.  Even the Powerblock Elites would be $797 for 90 lbs.

If I knew the Nuobell was durable, I'd be leaning that way.  I WANT them, but the proven durability of the Powerblock is calling my name.  But then you have the wonky usage interface...

Then again, I've got a local set of used 10-45 + 55 hex heads for sale for $800.  More space, same (or less) price, and don't have to worry about damaging them...
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 6:18:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Does Nuobell make a set that is a little more, like 25-100lbs? I just see 5-80.

Link Posted: 11/17/2021 11:48:21 AM EDT
[#40]
I vote for the powerblocks. I have an expandable set that I have at 90lbs. I don’t feel the need for more because I have a barbell as well as an axle bar. They can interfere with moves such as overhead tricep extensions. But they only take up the floor space of 2 shoe boxes. If you travel you can take them easily. I have 2 complaints: the knurling is rubber not steel and there isn’t room to make the grip thicker for grip training.

I still recommend them. The change of weights isn’t fast but it’s quick enough. The 2.5 lb increments are nice but the jump from certain weights isn’t able to go in 2.5 lb increments. That is ok.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Which ones are the super flat ones, in that they don't protrude from the grip that much; they look more like the standard dumbbells you see in the gym?

I love my Bowflex Selectechs but they do kinda protrude on the sides a bit...
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 2:30:43 PM EDT
[#42]
I have powerblocks.
Pro: size
Con: not really quickly adjustable for timed supersets.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Thnaks for all the info.

Think I'm gonna go with the Powerblocks.

Gonna hold out a week or so to see if any sales pop up.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 2:50:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Thnaks for all the info.

Think I'm gonna go with the Powerblocks.

Gonna hold out a week or so to see if any sales pop up.
View Quote

I don't remember how much I paid, but I bought them just before the covid nonsense started.
Found it:

Link Posted: 11/17/2021 4:03:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I don't remember how much I paid, but I bought them just before the covid nonsense started.
Found it:
View Quote

About $359 on Amazon currently.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 5:30:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Which ones are the super flat ones, in that they don't protrude from the grip that much; they look more like the standard dumbbells you see in the gym?

I love my Bowflex Selectechs but they do kinda protrude on the sides a bit...
View Quote

@burnprocess

Ironmaster?

I actually didn't realize it but I have 420lbs of plates.  I think that may be enough.

Link Posted: 11/17/2021 7:21:40 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

I believe that’s it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 7:56:06 PM EDT
[#48]
I went from primarily using dumbbells, because that was what was available to me during the covid rush for equipment. To almost not touching them since I got my functional trainer.

For movements with 2-3 planes of motion, I find the cables to provide more consistent resistance throughout the movement. Whereas for movements with 1-2 planes of motion, I prefer to use barbell. Because of this, I find myself using dumbbells mostly for really lightweight mobility work.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#49]
I have the iron master 120lb set.  They are awesome.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 9:15:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have the iron master 120lb set.  They are awesome.
View Quote

You should get a couple of kettlebells too.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top