Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2022 6:58:25 PM EDT
5-10yrs til retirement. Over 50 yo
No debt other than taxes, insurance, monthly bills, groceries.

Say one has 1 maxed 401k + catchup
1 maxed IRA + catchup.
2 maxed Roth IRA's + catchup
Collection is insured, have umbrella policy.
savings is building

What other type interest earning investment accts can I put $$$ in?
Say up to 5-9 years
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 7:05:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I would get the 10k treasury bond..Its all the rage. Have one myself.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:23:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I-bonds
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would get the 10k treasury bond..Its all the rage. Have one myself.
View Quote

They're all the rage now because the CPI is high.  Eventually that pendulum will swing back, so you just need to keep an eye on the rate.

And yes, I bought some.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:08:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Once you're maxxed out on the amount you can shovel into either tax-deferred or tax-exempt accounts, you are maxxed out.  just open a taxable account and snag one of the tax-efficient mutual funds.

if you want to pick the investments yourself, stick to muni's on the fixed income side, and if you're investing in ETFs, mutual funds, or individual equities, avoid short-term capital gains by not selling positions less than 12 months old.

when you're maxxed out, what matters is your investment strategy, because regardless of where you invest, you are going to pay taxes, so your investment strategy should prioritize tax-efficiency and given your age, capital preservation.

I-bonds can be practicable for some investors, however you must open an account directly at treasury (treasurydirect.gov), and you're limited to 10k.

ETA: if you're going to do any muni bonds, check your state's taxation of them.  I think in OK, OK munis are OK income tax-exempt, however munis outside OK are taxable, but double check to be sure

if you're wanting a 5-9 year investment horizon, a muni-bond portfolio is probably most appropriate, without knowing anything else about your goals or risk tolerance.  keep in mind, it's very unlikely the yields will keep up with these elevated inflation rates at the moment.  so you may want to consider pairing a muni-bond portfolio with a high dividend yield equity strategy.  

Link Posted: 5/17/2022 7:38:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I was not aware you could max out an ira and a roth ira. thought it was max total for both.

HSA investment account if you are on a high deductible plan. I have tried to convince the wife to use this instead of spending the hsa money.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 8:43:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Im not very knowledgeable about this but i think that if the capitol gains are invested back into real estate they are tax free...
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 12:03:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was not aware you could max out an ira and a roth ira. thought it was max total for both.

HSA investment account if you are on a high deductible plan. I have tried to convince the wife to use this instead of spending the hsa money.
View Quote

The annual total max (7k with catchup), is the total max for the combined traditional plus Roth IRA contributions per person.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The annual total max (7k with catchup), is the total max for the combined traditional plus Roth IRA contributions per person.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a simple IRA. MAX is 12,500 plus ~$3k catchup i think
Roth IRA is $6k plus $1k catchup
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 12:26:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Ah, I don't know much about the Simple IRAs.  Sounds like you're aware of the limits.

I started adding ibonds last year.  It's the only holding I have that's on the upside this year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top