Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 2/24/2021 8:01:21 PM EDT
I subscribe to the idea that is a choice and that addicts deserve little to no help.

I mean I see people day in and day out that come into the hospital I work at. They have "psych issues," say the magic words and get 3 hots and a cot; rinse repeat.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:02:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Disease
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:03:53 PM EDT
[#2]
A chosen disease.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:04:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Both.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:05:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends on the addiction and the individual.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#5]
It begins as a choice...it's self inflicted.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:06:06 PM EDT
[#6]
It’s a choice
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#7]
It has elements of both.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#8]
It's a disease. If you know anyone personally impacted by addiction, you would realize this quickly.

Addiction doesn't only apply to booze or drugs by the way. That's a common misconception.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Depends on your definition of disease I guess.

In general, imo, getting addicted and staying addicted is ultimately a choice. One decision that led to many hundreds/thousands of future decisions that got easier and easier to make as time went on.

Stopping is hard. Being hard doesn't mean it's no longer a choice.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#10]
It depends. Everybody is addicted to dopamine.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#11]
some say addiction, i look at it as commitment.

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In general, imo, getting addicted and staying addicted is ultimately a choice. One decision that led to many hundreds/thousands of future decisions that got easier and easier to make as time went on.

View Quote

I’ll remind you that stopping alchohol or benzodiazepines can and will kill a person. The only ones that can.  There is no choice. Use or die.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:10:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Tough call. I remember years ago @subnet and i were having a conversation after i came out of surgery and were talking about pain pills. To me they are miserable. No satisfaction or good feelings. Just unable to sleep, grumpy, hate every part of it. He said to him, he knew he had to stay away from them because he liked the feeling. Same drugs, both with adults who aren't losers or out there chasing a high. One of us was hardwired to enjoy this thing and the other wasn't. That conversation has shown up time and time again with different friends. Some hate it, some can't take it at all for worries of addiction. Now good adults don't act on that and restrict the tempation. So that is where the choice comes in, but there is some sort of physical thing there that is hard to explain.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:10:21 PM EDT
[#14]
A chemical dependency they chose to develop. It is absolutely not a disease.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:10:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Its a choice generally, that becomes a physical mental need.

I say this as a person that got addicted to opiates through my primary care doctor. Vicoden then Norco. I didn't even know they were made from same stuff as heroin until I tried to stop.

This was in the 90's .. The doctors don't just hand that stuff out like they used to for good reason.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#16]
People chose, but then it becomes... Disease.

addicts do drugs and their dopamine levels rise to a completely unnatural amount. After chronic use their body becomes used to the amount while on drugs, and when the drugs are removed- the person is non functional Bc their dopamine leveled are 1/100 of what they were used to. At this point it isn’t a choice, it is a disease.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:11:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Disorder
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:12:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:12:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Im gonna say both, once you choose to create a vice, it's almost impossible to break it. Some things worse than others. Cigarettes- I haven't smoked them in over a year, but went to vape since it was perceived safer and I dont smoke as much nicotine as i did with smokes. Before that, i went over two years and every time i was around smokes i craved it, and then gave in, cause lost will power to fight it.
Alcohol- luckily i have a weak tolerance to it, and never forced myself to endure it to build up tolerance to it. I do drink, but i dont need it to get by the day with it.
Its about will power and not ever making that first step choice or you risk being hooked or enslaved to it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:12:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Both.
View Quote
Yup.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:13:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I’ll remind you that stopping alchohol or benzodiazepines can and will kill a person. The only ones that can.  There is no choice. Use or die.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First part yes, second part I disagree.

There are treatment options you can choose that can get you through it without dying.

And this is the part where you say "exactly - treatment, see, it's a disease"

Which is why I said it depends on your definition of disease, and I'm guessing why you said it depends.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:15:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Both.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#23]
It's a choice until it becomes addiction, then it's a disease.

Once brain chemistry gets modified the choice is no longer simple like having corn flakes or toast for breakfast, it's closer to choosing not to breathe, you can choose not to, but the addiction can far exceed the will to stay clean.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:18:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It's a choice until it becomes addiction, then it's a disease.

Once brain chemistry gets modified the choice is no longer simple like having corn flakes or toast for breakfast, it's closer to choosing not to breathe, you can choose not to, but the addiction can far exceed the will to stay clean.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:19:57 PM EDT
[#25]
It's a disease you choose.  There is a cure.  You have to choose to take it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:20:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Their choices lead to the disease.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Mental weakness.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:21:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Both.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:22:33 PM EDT
[#29]
87% of the time I hear about this, it is just a bullshit excuse.  If people can't be responsible for their substance abuse then I can't be responsible for thinking less of them
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Define addiction
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:23:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Mental weakness.
View Quote

This. I know because I'm addicted to arfcom.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:23:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Both.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:24:02 PM EDT
[#33]
You never have a problem with the disease if you don't choose to get started and try it out to begin with. Disease didn't get you started in heroin, crack, or whatever take your pick to begin with.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:24:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe they should have chose not to drink or take drugs?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:25:17 PM EDT
[#35]
First try at the thing is a choice.

Subsequent usage can be an addiction.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:25:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Some people get drunk puke get sick get the shit beat out of them and say I'am never doing that again.  
And some people get drunk puke get sick and get the shit beat out of them and say I can't wait to do that again.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:25:56 PM EDT
[#37]
If a choice was involved it would not be called an addition.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:27:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Obviously it's a hoax, there's no such thing as an imperfect brain.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Neither, it is a condition.

However, that condition requires choice to get there, and often an underlying disease to take hold.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#40]
The whole disease idea is bullshit.  

The individual chose to pick up that drink every last time.  They choose to start the addiction, they choose to foster the addiction, and they choose to continue the addictive behaviors. I have seen it in action for decades and consider addicts to be very weak people with little to no self control.   They are directly responsible for every single decisions they make.   The more they drink, the more bad decisions they make.   That is always a choice.  

I come from a long line of addicts on my fathers side.  Alcohol being the primary form.   Grandpa quit and went on to help others quit.   Try and tell him it was a disease, he would have laughed you out of the room.  I and another of my brothers chose not to be addicted to alcohol and abstain.   Two others are functional alcoholics.   If it was a disease the two of us who abstain would have the same problems those that do not have.  Yet for some strange reason we have none of the health or relationship issues that most addicts bring with them in daily life.

It has symptoms and results like a disease,  it affects some more than others, and the tendency to become one is genetic.   It is still self inflicted by personal choice.  

People who make money off treating it call it a disease so insurance will pay them.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#41]
when your mind reasons out a reason to drink or inject yourself with pot it's still your choice.  but it is a mental disorder maybe?  its both.

fuck it, I need another.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:32:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I and another of my brothers chose not to be addicted to alcohol and abstain.

View Quote

So there's no such thing as alcoholism because you can't drink?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:32:41 PM EDT
[#43]
People don’t think the Limbic system be like it is, but it do.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

There are treatment options you can choose that can get you through it without dying.

Which is why I said it depends on your definition of disease, and I'm guessing why you said it depends.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I know. I went through the treatment to make sure I wouldn’t die by stopping.

I always thought it was a choice. A weakness. Till it had a hold of me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:35:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I subscribe to the idea that is a choice and that addicts deserve little to no help.

I mean I see people day in and day out that come into the hospital I work at. They have "psych issues," say the magic words and get 3 hots and a cot; rinse repeat.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:37:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Getting addicted is a choice.  Being addicted is a disease.

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:38:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
A chosen disease.
View Quote

Quoted:
Both.
View Quote
These
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:38:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Oh I know. I went through the treatment to make sure I wouldn’t die by stopping.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I'm glad you made it through and switched to being addicted to making fat stacks of cash
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:39:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course there is a choice.  They can taper off before they quit.  You make it sound like being an alcoholic is a life sentence.  This obviously isn't true.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:42:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Well I'm glad you made it through and switched to being addicted to making fat stacks of cash
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny thing is even when young I had what folks would call “an addictive personality”.

Didn’t matter what it was. Skateboarding, learning, Being the best at what I did, whatever. I got a dopamine hit and my brain screamed MORE!

That’s the alcholic brain and I’ve always had it. Always will.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top