Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2018 7:21:05 PM EDT
I got the super cheap one last week.

It works a lot better than I thought --- Samsung S3 to Nikon 15x45x60mm

Digital zoom on my old S3 is 4X ... so if your scope is setting on 15X and you zoom in ( on the phone ) - it goes to 45X.  Capable of 675X optic / digital zoom.  I haven't tried this yet.

15X and 4X digital ( 45X ) works great at 635 yards.

It's comfortable to sit back and view - instead of having to put your eye in the small eyepiece.
Not to mention the ability to grab video or take snapshots.

The El Cheapo works ok, but needs to be more rigid.

Here's a link for a Quality phone adapter ( spotting scope / Binoculars etc ).

https://www.phoneskope.com/shooting-sports/
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 7:46:22 PM EDT
Thanks for including the link.  I have a birthday coming up and my wife has been bugging me for ideas.  This will do nicely.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 7:53:14 PM EDT
Can you post the link for the cheapo one?
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 7:57:49 PM EDT
$79 for a Note 4 adapter.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 7:59:02 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you post the link for the cheapo one?
View Quote
17 bucks on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Landove-Smartphone-Photography-Binoculars-Microscope/dp/B06Y6G8YQ7

It works ok.

Needs to be a little more rigid.

It takes a little coordination to get the phone mounted ( as the eyepiece turns in the same direction to tighten the adapter ).

Overall, I'd give it 4 stars considering price and functionality.

eta: If you look around, there are a lot of different adapters out there
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 8:06:57 PM EDT
I bet this would be a great project for a 3D printer
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 8:10:22 PM EDT
Quoted:

17 bucks on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Landove-Smartphone-Photography-Binoculars-Microscope/dp/B06Y6G8YQ7

It works ok.

Needs to be a little more rigid.

It takes a little coordination to get the phone mounted ( as the eyepiece turns in the same direction to tighten the adapter ).

Overall, I'd give it 4 stars considering price and functionality.

eta: If you look around, there are a lot of different adapters out there
View Quote
Thanks.  I'll be damned if I'm going to spend close to $100 for a f'ng adapter.  I'm pretty sure the old phone I'm going to use (HTC Eve 4G LTE) is worth $3-7.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 1:45:33 PM EDT
Quoted:

Thanks.  I'll be damned if I'm going to spend close to $100 for a f'ng adapter.  I'm pretty sure the old phone I'm going to use (HTC Eve 4G LTE) is worth $3-7.  
View Quote
Just dickin' around with my " cheap-o " 17 buck adapter this morning.

I won't go to the range without it now ... it's so much easier to see.

I'll make a sunshade for the screen.

I did figure out how to easily mount the phone to the scope.

1. Lightly tighten adapter ring to eyepiece.
2. Hold the adapter ring, and rotate the phone ( and adapter ) clockwise, and it snugs up pretty well.

Takes about 20 seconds.

Once zoomed out - and the scope is focused - touch the screen, which activates the auto focus on the phone.

This REALLY sharpens the view.  It also allows you to re-focus on another point nearby.

My phone is off the cellular network, but I can take pics and vids, and can upload them on my network to another pc or move to YT.

Even this cheap one was well worth it ... It made good use of an outdated phone.

eta:  If you are overlooking a swimming pool, or a public area, YOU NEED ONE OF THESE
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 7:22:30 PM EDT
Nikon 15X45X60mm Camera Samsung S3 ( 8mp )

Scope 30X - cell zoom 4X = 120X

Sign is standard size at 100 yds.

Shooting it's ok ... for photos or video, I'd need a remote switch due to camera shake.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 7:24:24 PM EDT
double tap
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top