Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2022 10:11:24 AM EDT
I am really looking into buying a suppressor but with all the moves we have, it seems like it would be a ton of hassle.

Anyone bother with it, and/or picking duty stations based off gun laws?
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:46:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Vague] [#1]
Why can't you have a suppressor on AD?  Base housing forbid it, something else?

I couldn't take my guns to Japan, and couldn't take plenty of stuff to California. Otherwise I took my guns to every duty station. Only lived on base once with guns. It wasn't an issue.

Edit: make sure you have enough time left on station to let the form 4 process work through. Would be bad to get transferred to another state after you submitted but weren't yet approved.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 12:20:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Couldn't take my NFA to Japan or California, but must have made at least a dozen PCS moves with them.

Bought a couple when I lived on-post, so the Provost Marshal was the Chief LE Officer signature.  We had a nice conversation talking about each other's stuff.  :)
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 12:09:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Nope. I have 4 SBRs, 1 sbs, and a few suppressors. But I dont live on post.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 8:25:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TurtlesAlltheWayDown] [#4]
Keep organized and its fine.  I had an accordion folder with my gun stuff and a number of blank 5320's.  When you move you'll have a ton of stuff to do but if organized its just a few letters to send.

I'd never live on base with them though. Have a plan if youre going OCONUS or living on base, IMO easiest way is have a family member on the trust you can store them with that person if need be
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 8:52:35 AM EDT
[#5]
My Dad is on my trust and lives in a friendly state, so if I get orders to somewhere with unfriendly laws, the safe and majority of other shit is getting moved to my parents house.

Outside of that, the paperwork is pretty easy for moves.  It really hasn’t been much of a hassle at all.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 10:59:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Vague:

I couldn't take my guns to Japan, and couldn't take plenty of stuff to California. Otherwise I took my guns to every duty station. Only lived on base once with guns. It wasn't an issue.

Edit: make sure you have enough time left on station to let the form 4 process work through. Would be bad to get transferred to another state after you submitted but weren't yet approved.
View Quote

Wrong, if you have orders you can actually EXPEDITE your form 4 by sending the paperwork to the ATF.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 10:48:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By HitTheForwardAssist:

Wrong, if you have orders you can actually EXPEDITE your form 4 by sending the paperwork to the ATF.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HitTheForwardAssist:
Originally Posted By Vague:

Random not so random question are you aware if having a clearance speeds it up at all?
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 11:21:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By d5griffin:
Keep organized and its fine.  I had an accordion folder with my gun stuff and a number of blank 5320's.  When you move you'll have a ton of stuff to do but if organized its just a few letters to send.

I'd never live on base with them though. Have a plan if youre going OCONUS or living on base, IMO easiest way is have a family member on the trust you can store them with that person if need be
View Quote
Shouldn't need that for suppressors.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 12:59:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I had some suppressors and a SBR while I was active duty. Only issue was some bases didn't allow them, but I lived off base. Never was assigned to a state where my stuff wasn't allowed so only had to see if the base regulations allowed them.

Keep your paperwork straight and its not any worse than being a civilian who moves alot.

I had plans in place to store my stuff with family if I ever got assigned to a state that didn't allow it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top