Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2018 5:35:02 PM EDT
I'm guessing most here roll with larger humidor or coolerador or whatever, but these seem to be a perfect size for me as a newb.

When they say 20 stick capacity, is that like a 24 gun safe?  Meaning 10 is probably the max?

10 sticks will probably last me two years considering the amount of times I end up having the opportunity to enjoy a cigar a year.  Lots of places are gushing over these things and they don't look terrible, IMO.  Seem to hold humidity well and they're dirt cheap.

I'm not interested in keeping 150 cigars around or aging them for 20 years(yet...).  I just want something small and simple to take care of so I can have some cigars on hand for the odd time I get time to enjoy one.

Opinions?
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:06:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I would be concerned those wouldn't have a good seal.  better to stick with the tried and true tupperdore

https://www.amazon.com/Sistema-1850-Collection-Rectangle-Container/dp/B00284AG5K/?th=1

with boveda packs

https://www.amazon.com/Boveda-65-Percent-Retail-Humidifier-Dehumidifier/dp/B00CPPG228/?th=1

You say you only want 10 cigars now, but that will change once you start shopping.  You can stuff a ton of them in the large sistema container.

You are correct that the stated capacity is usally an overestimate.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:25:12 PM EDT
[#2]
It has a seal almost exactly like that item you posted...looks better too, which, it's going to be in my office, so looks are a bit of a concern.

Appreciate the info though, I'll probably go with something like that for when I want to keep more cigars around but not necessarily display them.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:35:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you talking about the Boveda acrylic humidor?  I'm not seeing a seal on that.  But, I guess as long as they do a good job with the cuts it could probably hold humidity well.

20's the max, depending on the size of the sticks (in their pic it's 20x 5x50s).  Looks like you can maybe go up from the 50 ring gauge in their picture, but you're pretty much stuck at a 5" length (internal depth dimension is 5 1/8") unless you put them in lengthwise, at which point you lose some of your capacity.  But yes, in general, they're rated for more than you can typically cram in there.

I don't know that I would call this dirt cheap.  If you want something small that you can have your stuff on display, I'd actually say to just go with a jar.

Personally, I keep the bulk of my stuff in tupperware.  I stock my Xikar travel humidors out of them.  I like the 10 ct size and can usually get a lighter and cutter in there as well.

Also, I just picked up a Xikar Cigar Locker + X0 cutter combo off cigarbid from their freefall auctions for pretty cheap.  That just stays on the end table, but dedicated space for lighters and cutters, and the cigar compartment has a silicone seal.  This would maybe be more ideal since it doesn't have as much foam that their travel humidors does, so it's not putting any sort of pressure on them, since it doesn't sound like you smoke often.

End of the day, as SimonPetrikov said, once you start shopping for sticks you'll probably move past the 10/20 ct mark.  As you experiment, you'll find you have certain smokes depending on your mood so you'll end up wanting to keep a variety.  And they work out to be cheaper when you buy them in quantity.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 12:43:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I was looking at something like this:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J21X9IS/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Some comments say they can get 7.5" cigars in them.  Has a seal, should be 100% airtight.

Thanks for the thoughts guys!  I'll probably grab one of these for the moment, and then I'll use the tupperware humidor down the road when I need more room.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 9:18:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was looking at something like this:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J21X9IS/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Some comments say they can get 7.5" cigars in them.  Has a seal, should be 100% airtight.

Thanks for the thoughts guys!  I'll probably grab one of these for the moment, and then I'll use the tupperware humidor down the road when I need more room.
View Quote
Ohhh, those acrylic humidors.  I was thinking you were talking about the rectangular type with the hinged lid.  The canisters are great.  I have a few I use as overflow storage and I pack one as a travel humidor for weekend camping trips.  Just looked at mine and they average about 18 cigars each.  The one you linked is sold as a humidor and has a crappy humidifer glued to the lid, and a disk of paper thin wood glued to the bottom.  But it is identical to "Oggi 72-Ounce Clear Acrylic Canister with Locking Clamp" also on amazon.  If you're gonna use a boveda, which is far superior to the included humidifer, you can save a few cents by buying the Oggi.  The 59 oz is even cheaper at $9 and is the same diameter, but slightly shorter at 7.8in
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top