Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2020 2:32:40 PM EDT
Has anyone used Acellus academy online?  Our son will need to be enrolled in school next year and Pa has some of the stringiest guidelines for homeschooling.  I have recently listened to someone talk about Acellus Academy and it seems like it would help a new homeschooling family with the paper trail needed to homeschool in Pa.  Any help or guidance would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 6:52:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Im looking at this,IMing you
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 2:27:48 AM EDT
[#2]
My kids started AA last week and they love it!
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 2:47:43 PM EDT
[#3]
My kids have been doing it 3 years, seems pretty good.  We supplement with other things as well, but it's helpful to keep organized, and the kids can handle a lot on their own.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 7:58:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Did it a year for my boys. They skipped 2 grades each, 4 hours a day.
Doing a more unschooling approach now. Only "class" they have is math.
Everything else is interest driven.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 11:28:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PeterPangenderPhD] [#5]
I am a credentialed teacher with 17 years experience. I homeschool my kids and I use it. Feel free to ask me specific questions. Bottom line is that I really like it. Also, Power Homeschool is their homeschool curriculum. Academy is a virtual school.

The short of it:

Very solid teaching done via video clips - short and well explained
Simple and easy check for understanding questions at the end - they are perhaps a little too easy
There are special lessons - hands on learning - this is really the only thing you have to get involved in as a parent. They are much more valuable than "book learning."

Bottom line - I think it is an excellent foundation to make sure you cover all the bases, it only takes a couple hours a day at most, and leaves plenty of time for more meaningful learning that they are interested in. It is 100% better than anything at public school.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 12:34:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm thinking about using AA( or the non accredited, less expensive version, power homeschool or something like that because it's less expensive and my kid is in 8th grade) for my oldest kid.

She's been using Kahn academy but she's figured out that she can skip course material and retry the multiple choice questions in the review until she gets them right, which I'll call her out on, which then leads to fighting about whether the point of the lessons is the lessons or getting the questions correct.  She'll spend as much time "cheating" and then arguing when she gets called out on it as it takes her to actually go through the material. It's all so tiresome. (she's very stubborn)

Is AA configured in a way that this (skipping lessons and trying assignments multiple times until the correct answers are chosen)is still possible?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top