Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2021 10:16:29 PM EDT
Like the title says, I accidently formatted the wrong hard drive (via right click, format, quick format)

It's not the end of the world if I can't recover it, I have copies of the important stuff.  However I'd like to try if there is a simple way, since there is some stuff on there I don't have copies of.

Google search has some hits, but they all seem like sketchy "install our software on your computer and everything will be great!" kinda stuff that I'm skeptical of.  Are any worthy of reccomendation?

Please help caveman fix computer machine.

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:09:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Do not write anything to the drive!!!

A quick format rewrites the master file table but does not erase anything.

EAseus has software that will fix this.  I've used their partition master for years.  Their data recovery stuff also works great.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:34:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do not write anything to the drive!!!

A quick format rewrites the master file table but does not erase anything.

EAseus has software that will fix this.  I've used their partition master for years.  Their data recovery stuff also works great.
View Quote

Thats what I was hoping!  I'll give EAseus a shot.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:53:27 PM EDT
[#3]
That shit's the worst, I had two plex drives an old one and a newer one with more shit on it.  I swear I only formatted one of them but I noticed a few days later that both of them were gone.  Luckily I still had all the mkv files.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:55:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Photorec can also do this, it's free

https://photorec.en.softonic.com/
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 8:41:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I've used Recuva in the past and works pretty well.

https://recuva.en.softonic.com/
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 3:47:12 PM EDT
[#6]
In for updates to see how this goes.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I ended up switching to recuva and it's still running (10TB drive, 3 day scan ).  It says it's found a bunch of files already, so it may spend the next 2 days scanning empty space.

EASeus looks like it's capped at 2GB with the free version.  

I'll give photorec a shot if recuva doesn't do what I'm looking for, I just was hesitant since it the site mostly mentions capabilities for recovering images.

I have realized that my CAD parts library was on the drive I formatted, so even if I get my models back I bet there are a ton of broken links.  Nothing that can't be fixed though.  We shall see!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top