Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2023 8:52:58 AM EDT
Good morning everyone,

I’d like to access a desktop PC through my laptop that is on my home network. I’m installing surveillance software and the desktop is being used as a storage location for recording. I don’t have a monitor, mouse or keyboard for it. Can anyone recommend the best way to do this?
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:01:31 AM EDT
[#1]
On a private network? Remote Desktop.

If you have a dislike for RDP for some reason, perhaps RealVNC or similar.

Edit: I haven't tried it out, but a lot people like NoMachine.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:06:06 AM EDT
[#2]
chrome remote desktop works pretty well.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:07:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I just looked this up. Forgive me if I sound stupid, it’s a gift. If I use this, am I able to configure the Remote Desktop using only a power cord and Ethernet cable ran from my laptop to the desktop?
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:13:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just looked this up. Forgive me if I sound stupid, it’s a gift. If I use this, am I able to configure the Remote Desktop using only a power cord and Ethernet cable ran from my laptop to the desktop?
View Quote

If it is Windows on the desktop, you are going to need a monitor, keyboard, and mouse on it a least briefly.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:20:51 AM EDT
[#5]
To open the port I suppose? I can manage that. Once the port is open can I configure through my laptop?
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:21:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Good morning everyone,

I'd like to access a desktop PC through my laptop that is on my home network. I'm installing surveillance software and the desktop is being used as a storage location for recording. I don't have a monitor, mouse or keyboard for it. Can anyone recommend the best way to do this?
View Quote
BOTH machines are on your home network?  Your phrasing is ambiguous. If you are wanting to travel all over and remote into your home network you will want to deal with your router/firewall device, or use a service that has the home network computer call out to a server somewhere that you use as a third party pass through.

Otherwise, on your own network then any of the remote desktop apps should work fine. You may have to configure your computer to boot properly while "headless" (term for no mouse keyboard or monitor). Modern ones may work better but some motherboards used to not get into the OS without some of the stuff attached. I would plug in and keep a mouse/keyboard on it anyway, they are cheap. Sooner or later, you will have a WTF moment and need to hook a monitor to it, so have a little shitty used one somewhere in storage.

If it's headless, note that it still needs adequate airflow for cooling and should be in a relatively dust free environment.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:26:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
To open the port I suppose? I can manage that. Once the port is open can I configure through my laptop?
View Quote

To actually enable Remote Desktop (it is disabled by default, or should be) and set what users can connect.

Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:40:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I’ve got a crappy old monitor and mouse/keyboard that may work. It will be headless as it will be sitting beside my tv in the living room. I just need to be able to configure it remotely after the initial setup I guess. Remotely meaning 8’ from it with my laptop. My router, camera and this pc will all be on a switch.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:43:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Good morning everyone,

I’d like to access a desktop PC through my laptop that is on my home network. I’m installing surveillance software and the desktop is being used as a storage location for recording. I don’t have a monitor, mouse or keyboard for it. Can anyone recommend the best way to do this?
View Quote

Define access a desktop.
If you just want access to the data stored on it you could share the hard drive.
If want to actually operate the desktop, then the remote options mentioned.
At work I use Remote desktop on LAN.
To access my home desktop from work or the opposite I use software called Remote PC, there are several others.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:44:51 AM EDT
[#10]
VNC Connect is free for up to 5 family computers. Uses VNC server and client. Pretty straight forward. Works from anywhere in the world and even from your phone.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:47:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Most home versions of Windows don't include the remote desktop server, have to go to Pro (at least in the 10x world, not sure about 11).
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 12:08:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Most home versions of Windows don't include the remote desktop server, have to go to Pro (at least in the 10x world, not sure about 11).
View Quote

The one I’m accessing is 11 pro. My laptop is 11 home.  I need the data and be able to configure settings.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 12:41:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I use TeamViewer and it works well and its free for personal use. I have a PC setup as a DVR at my dad's house with three cameras.  I can access it from anywhere and do updates reboots etc. all remotely.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 1:28:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I use TeamViewer and it works well and its free for personal use. I have a PC setup as a DVR at my dad's house with three cameras.  I can access it from anywhere and do updates reboots etc. all remotely.
View Quote

I had that but guess I used it too much, it said I was using it for business and that I had to pay to use it. It's expensive.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 2:03:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I had that but guess I used it too much, it said I was using it for business and that I had to pay to use it. It's expensive.
View Quote

Yep, I no longer recommend TeamViewer to anybody for anything.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 2:16:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is what I’m doing and I’ve heard of TeamViewer on another forum. Ty.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 2:28:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The one I’m accessing is 11 pro. My laptop is 11 home.  I need the data and be able to configure settings.
View Quote

That config should work.  Just a matter of going into the Remote Desktop settings to allow it, and then set up a new RDP client session on your laptop and you should be good.  Don't have to have Pro on the client machine.

Link Posted: 5/9/2023 2:49:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Thank you to all!  Y’all are much friendlier computer people than some forums lol.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 9:50:57 AM EDT
[#19]
What software are you using?  I'd imagine most NVR programs have a web interface.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top