Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/21/2021 5:30:46 PM EDT
Guys,

For Texans, if your company mandated the vaccine before Abbots executive anti-vaccine mandate order, have your companies since then, rescinded their mandates or are they still keeping them in place?

Any word on if Abbot will take any real action to make compliance happen on this issue here?

For those with federal contracts, how is it affecting your company, and are they not heeding Abbots order that they might keep their federal contracts?
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 5:33:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I love that Abbot had the guts to do this.

Every day, I become more and more my inner Texan.

Link Posted: 10/21/2021 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#2]
What authority does Governor Abbott have over a company headquartered in New Jersey that is a Federal contractor? The issue would have to be resolved in Federal Court. Do you think any Federal  Judge would decide a Governor's Executive Order supersedes a Presidential Executive Order?
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 6:03:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I like Governor Abbott and plan to vote for him again but I think
he really hurt himself politically with his no mask mandate and no
vaccination mandate. Originally he said masks should be a local issue
not something decided in Austin. He should have stayed with that
decision.  

Now you have local school boards openly defying the
Governor's mask mandate and there is nothing he can
do about it.  The no vaccination mandate may make some
people vote for him but it too is not enforceable on his part.

I think vaccination mandates are wrong, but I do think if Dallas ISD wants
to require masks that's something for the local school board and parents to
decide and not the Governor in Austin. For the record, the only time I have
worn a mask recently is at the airport where I had no choice.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2021 6:14:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What authority does Governor Abbott have over a company headquartered in New Jersey that is a Federal contractor? The issue would have to be resolved in Federal Court. Do you think any Federal  Judge would decide a Governor's Executive Order supersedes a Presidential Executive Order?
View Quote

My company is based in MD and it was stated in an audio cast on Tuesday that, in a nutshell, the Texas Governor can pound sand and the company will make their employees follow the FJB mandate for DoD contractors.

Link Posted: 10/21/2021 6:36:39 PM EDT
[#5]
GE backed off in Texas for what it's worth.

If he can put the brakes on them, then his order is pretty substantial.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#6]
My company is headquartered in Texas, but owned by another company that is headquartered in another state.  Last week they told us that since we have Federal contracts, all staff must be vaccinated or have approved medical/religious exemptions.  They stated that the President's executive order supersedes any state executive order.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#7]
The United States federal government doesn't own me, nor does Governor Abbott.

Being a Texan though, when Abbott basically announced, "F@rk masks, and whatever them Yankee bastards mandate for Texas," I thought, yeah, he gets it.

FUCK JOE BIDEN.

... and whoever pulls his puppet-strings.

Link Posted: 10/21/2021 6:57:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

It doesn't matter where their HQ is. If they have employees in Texas, they can't mandate the shots for those employees. The Presidential EO does not carry the force of law so yes, Abbott's authority does supersede that of an edict from FJB.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 6:59:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
decision.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
decision.  

Quoted:

Hogwash. Abbott should never have closed down the state to begin with. He's trying to make amends with this and he will be rewarded handsomely because of it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My company is based in MD and it was stated in an audio cast on Tuesday that, in a nutshell, the Texas Governor can pound sand and the company will make their employees follow the FJB mandate for DoD contractors.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If your company has employees in Texas, they will be taken to court by the Texas AG and the AG will win. EO's do not have the force of law. Abbott's order does.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My company is headquartered in Texas, but owned by another company that is headquartered in another state.  Last week they told us that since we have Federal contracts, all staff must be vaccinated or have approved medical/religious exemptions.  They stated that the President's executive order supersedes any state executive order.
View Quote

No, it does not. FJB's EO does not carry the force of law. Abbott's order does.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 7:10:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Please oh please, may Texas grow the largest set of cajones ever.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#13]
My business unit has not updated their previous policy of "vaccination is not now and will not be in the future a condition of employment".

They have also said asking about vaccination status or harassing any co-worker because of vaccination status is verboten.

The parent company has over 5,000 global employees with a couple thousand in Houston, and I'm certain some business units have .gov contracts.

Link Posted: 10/21/2021 7:16:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I work in Texas for a company headquartered in New York. Vaccine mandates went out a couple of weeks ago and nothing has been mentioned about us being exempt. I have not asked the question though.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 7:24:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
decision.  

View Quote

Man, sorry your girl lost... shesh...
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 8:11:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Man, sorry your girl lost... shesh...
View Quote

I voted for President Trump and Governor Abbott.
Who are you calling a girl?
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 8:41:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is my situation.  The company FAQ says if you don't get vaxxed, you will be placed on unpaid leave; essentially terminated w/o saying so.  It speaks specifically to the Texas or Montana orders, saying the policy still applies.  12/8 federal due date with an 11/15 submit your vax info or claim an exemption.  Also that an exemption accomodation may be, unpaid leave.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 8:58:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This is my situation.  The company FAQ says if you don't get vaxxed, you will be placed on unpaid leave; essentially terminated w/o saying so.  It speaks specifically to the Texas or Montana orders, saying the policy still applies.  12/8 federal due date with an 11/15 submit your vax info or claim an exemption.  Also that an exemption accomodation may be, unpaid leave.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

States rights. The Constitution does not grant the feds the right to madate the Vax, so it is left to the states. It doesn't matter what FJB says. Get an attorney and file suit. You will win.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 9:19:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Texas should just suspend those companies permits and/or licenses to operate in Texas.

A gamble but perhaps an effective one.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 9:19:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The policy doesn't apply in Texas. They don't have the option to say otherwise regardless of what FJB's EO says.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 9:20:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Texas should just suspend those companies permits and/or licenses to operate in Texas.

View Quote

That could be done as well. Texas is generally considered pro-business though so that will be a tough one. Seems to me that making an example of a few will bring the rest in line.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 9:34:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
States rights. The Constitution does not grant the feds the right to madate the Vax, so it is left to the states. It doesn't matter what FJB says. Get an attorney and file suit. You will win.
View Quote

That may be true, but it won't be the Federal Government putting you on unpaid leave.
It will be your employer who does have a right to set conditions of employment for
non-union employees working without a contract.  You really think you can win that
case in court when the employer is following guidance from the CDC?  

I'm not a lawyer, but it appears to me that the only ones able to challenge these mandates
in court are the companies affected and maybe the States.  I think most senior management
of large public companies think vaccinating everyone is the only way to go back to a normal working environment.
They are happy the Government issued the mandate so they can
deflect blame from themselves.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 9:48:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Which would immediately get challenged in Court and Texas would lose.
Governor Abbott can't even enforce his mask mandate on local school districts
in Texas. You think he can successfully take on a large global Fortune 20 company
that is following Executive Orders from the President and the advice of the WHO,
CDC, FDA, etc?

ATT is headquartered in Dallas and they issued a vaccination mandate for all their
US based Union and Management employees.  If Governor Abbott wants to challenge
this he should try suspending ATT's licenses to operate in Texas.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That may be true, but it won't be the Federal Government putting you on unpaid leave.
It will be your employer who does have a right to set conditions of employment for
non-union employees working without a contract.  You really think you can win that

I'm not a lawyer, but it appears to me that the only ones able to challenge these mandates
in court are the companies affected and maybe the States.  I think most senior management
of large public companies think vaccinating everyone is the only way to go back to a normal working environment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Employers will get hit with court suits and some will go bankrupt because of the judgements against them. The Feral Government mandates will have no impact at all on employees winning judgements against employers. It occurs to me that even though Pfizer/Moderna/J&J and the providers using their shots are shielded from liability due to a defective product, regular companies doing something stupid are not. Wouldn't it be interesting if Pfizer got their ass handed to them by their own employees? Poetic justice. So much for that liability shield, eh?
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 9:50:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

in Texas. You think he can successfully take on a large global Fortune 20 company
that is following Executive Orders from the President and the advice of the WHO,
CDC, FDA, etc?

ATT is headquartered in Dallas and they issued a vaccination mandate for all their
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CDC, FDA, etc?

No, Texas would win in summary judgement. Business licenses are granted by the state in which they are located, not the Feral Government. The advice the company is listening to has no bearing on any of that. Further, Brandon's EO does not have the force of law, Abbott's does because the Texas legislature gave him that power.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 9:55:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
No, Texas would win in summary judgement. Business licenses are granted by the state in which they are located, not the Feral Government. The advice the company is listening to has no bearing on any of that. Further, Brandon's EO does not have the force of law, Abbott's does because the Texas legislature gave him that power.
View Quote

Great!  Problem solved. Looking forward to a big win by Governor Abbott and putting Brandon and the rest of the Feds in their place.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 10:22:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 10:31:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Remember that he was the one that shut down the state and only moved to the "local decisions" position when conservatives shamed him into it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 10:40:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yes, used it in my exemption and was approved.

3rd special session is over so SB51 is dead. He will need to call a 4th session to get it into law.
View Quote

Used what in your exemption?  Abbots order?
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 10:41:31 PM EDT
[#30]
I’ve said it many time, please bulldoze the way forward Texas.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 10:44:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 10:54:06 PM EDT
[#32]
My company has specifically stated they won't be following the TX EO and cited the federal EO guidance.  It sucks but that's life suckling on the fedgov teat.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 11:17:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yes.
View Quote

That’s interesting. What did you write?
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 11:24:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

If the Judge has ever heard of the 10th amendment he should.  

Where the fuck in the constitution is the power for the President to force a medical procedure on the populace outlined?

Sorry, I realize you're simply stating reality but what the fuck.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 11:25:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 12:13:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

He ain't ending his disaster declaration.  It's all noise from him.  In fact he renewed it July 2021.

https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/governor-abbott-renews-covid-19-disaster-declaration-in-july-2021
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 12:27:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My company has specifically stated they won't be following the TX EO and cited the federal EO guidance.  It sucks but that's life suckling on the fedgov teat.  
View Quote

Go with Civil Rights Act Title VII exemption.
They really don’t have a right by law to deny your exemption unless they can prove it’s an undue hardship, and they can’t make other accommodations for you. It’s not a request for exemption, so much as a declaration and invoking your civil rights. That’s what they don’t want you to know.

If there’s a reasonable accommodation you can think of that removes undue hardship on the company, whether that be change of work venue, weekly testing, etc, then they can’t “really” legally deny it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 12:27:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

CDC, FDA, etc?

View Quote

He should do just that.

If a federal court overturns the suspension, ignore it.  Levy fines and jail time against ATT management in state.

When fed courts order them released, don’t. Leave them in jail.

Use your imagination to figure out where it can go from here. I don’t think DC is actually in a position to win this one if Abbot grows a pair.

Don’t worry though. He won’t.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 7:04:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Go with Civil Rights Act Title VII exemption.
They really don’t have a right by law to deny your exemption unless they can prove it’s an undue hardship, and they can’t make other accommodations for you. It’s not a request for exemption, so much as a declaration and invoking your civil rights. That’s what they don’t want you to know.

If there’s a reasonable accommodation you can think of that removes undue hardship on the company, whether that be change of work venue, weekly testing, etc, then they can’t “really” legally deny it.
View Quote

Was told they are going easy on exemption requests.  Fingers crossed.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 7:34:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

I thought they had 750 employees walk over it. Which thing had more of an effect?
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 8:26:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I thought they had 750 employees walk over it. Which thing had more of an effect?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This may be one of the best examples of "get both". Government edicts only have force if we allow them to have. On the flip side, we should support those in .gov who are fighting for our freedoms.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:36:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you and I work for the same company.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 10:43:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

So the Governor’s EO is binding but the President’s is optional? Please explain why the Governor can issue a binding EO and the President cannot.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 10:55:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you a federal court Judge? This is an issue that will be resolved by federal courts. It is almost certainly going to the Supreme Court. I don’t think Biden or the federal government has the power to issue a vaccine mandate but it is possible the courts will stretch the interstate commerce clause and allow it.

Calling Biden Brandon or the Federal Government the Feral Government will not help win the case. There was another Governor who thought his EOs overrode Federal laws and instead of fighting it in court he stood in a doorway. Do you remember what happened in GA?

Link Posted: 10/22/2021 10:59:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

He should do just that.

If a federal court overturns the suspension, ignore it.  Levy fines and jail time against ATT management in state.

Use your imagination to figure out where it can go from here. I don’t think DC is actually in a position to win this one if Abbot grows a pair.

View Quote

Federal Judges just love having their orders ignored. Try doing it and win a vacation at Club Fed.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 11:09:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Despite the ra ra at AR15.COM, for the most part Abbot is being ignored.  Apparently with no detriment to doing so.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 11:13:06 AM EDT
[#47]
The one good thing about Abbott is that he's a former TX AG.  The current AG Paxton has zero fuck to give since he's under indictment (sounds like rightfully so, swampy behavior) and has other ethics issues which will eventually push him out of office but that makes him dangerous in a way that that's good for conservatives because he's on borrowed time.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 11:34:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

So the Governor’s EO is binding but the President’s is optional? Please explain why the Governor can issue a binding EO and the President cannot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because the state legislature gave him the direct authority to legal issue such a mandate. Brandon's EO has no such statutory authority. Perhaps you should read more and post less.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Are you a federal court Judge? This is an issue that will be resolved by federal courts. It is almost certainly going to the Supreme Court. I don’t think Biden or the federal government has the power to issue a vaccine mandate but it is possible the courts will stretch the interstate commerce clause and allow it.

Calling Biden Brandon or the Federal Government the Feral Government will not help win the case. There was another Governor who thought his EOs overrode Federal laws and instead of fighting it in court he stood in a doorway. Do you remember what happened in GA?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Business licenses are issued by the state. Federal courts have rejected such suits because they belong in state court. Calling Xiden Brandon is entirely appropriate and calling the Federal Government the Feral Government is extremely accurate. BTW, the case you were referring to was in Alabama, not GA. In that instance, Wallace was attempting to deny civil rights and the feds enforced them. If you claim that is the way it should be then these mandates are null and void.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 11:39:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Federal Judges just love having their orders ignored. Try doing it and win a vacation at Club Fed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He should do just that.

Federal judges have very little power to enforce their edicts, especially on states, where they have no power at all to do any enforcement.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top