Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2020 11:50:28 AM EDT
To all of you knowledgable mechanics out there.  Do you guys know of a good online/e-learning course for an A&P.  I was an APG (Crew Chief) in the Air Force for 6 years and my DD214/AF623s are supposedly enough for me to get signoffs from the FAA to go down to a place like Baker's to get my A&P.  However, with all this time stuck inside, I'd love to actually learn a bit more about GA mx.  I'm not exactly looking for work as an A&P, but I would love to get it to help with costs on airplane ownership.  I've been reading the FAA handbooks for airframe, powerplant and general and I found a few channels on youtube...just wondering if there are any interactive course that people have found useful.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 12:22:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Interested in this also. I’m in the same boat, I qualify based on AF service as well,  but need to get spun up on all the random crap they deem important to know the answer to.

What YouTube channels are you watching?
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 2:04:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I used the ASA stuff for the general and powerplant.  Unfortunately my 2A6x1 didnt qualify me for the airframe, wound up doing a couple semesters at a community college with an A&P program to get that knocked out.  Currently use Gleim for IA renewal.

Got my IA through Baker.  I highly recommend them for that an prior service guys wanting their A&P.  Seen a lot guys with pencil whipped apprentice time sign offs really struggle.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 2:28:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Baker may be good, but it’s not online.  I’m currently deployed (don’t do an aviation job anymore), and have nothing but downtime.

I have been doing the Kings A&P for a week or so since I finished their IFR course. I can’t really say it’s worth the price (I got it with a decent discount). So far it’s helping to fill the gaps in my knowledge for the written but pretty much everything I could easily find more info on YouTube or google.  I guess the structure and ease of just watching videos is nice though, and it’s nice I can download all of it and don’t need an internet connection (which doesn’t matter to most).

Like OP, I’m just doing it for something to do, and for minor work on my own plane.  No career for me.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 2:39:47 PM EDT
[#4]
The EAA has a series of sheet metal videos free online that are excellent.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 6:47:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the replies so far gents....keep'em coming!  Ya, I plan to take my time and really learn this stuff.  I pal around with a few A&Ps and before this Rona started was about to start working at an Air Museum that has 5 or 6 old warbirds.  Also, trying to weasel my way into being a gopher/helper for a guy that restores some cool old (1920s/1930s) planes. I'd like to get some actual work under my belt before I go down to Bakers and get my A&P.  On the other hand, I once had an A&P tell me that an A&P is just a license to learn...go down and get it and start learning.  LOL.

Quoted:
I have been doing the Kings A&P for a week or so since I finished their IFR course. I can’t really say it’s worth the price (I got it with a decent discount). So far it’s helping to fill the gaps in my knowledge for the written but pretty much everything I could easily find more info on YouTube or google.  I guess the structure and ease of just watching videos is nice though, and it’s nice I can download all of it and don’t need an internet connection (which doesn’t matter to most).
View Quote

Is it actually teaching you concepts or the just prepping you to pass a 1 each, FAA written exam?
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 2:51:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
[b]

Is it actually teaching you concepts or the just prepping you to pass a 1 each, FAA written exam?
View Quote

I’m only about halfway through the General so I can’t fully comment on it, but so far I’d say it does both. It explains the topic or concept that will likely be a test question. So it’s more understanding what answer is correct, than memorizing correct answers.  It doesn’t go into a ton of detail more than what’s needed for the test questions though. For example, it discussed different alloys of aluminum, but didn’t say what the different alloys were better for.  Maybe that info isn’t really necessary for the basic A&P, but I was curious about it. Pretty easy to find in depth info though.  

It was definitely filmed back in the VHS days though. Not a huge deal as the concepts (or the tests lol) haven’t changed.

Link Posted: 4/15/2020 12:34:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m only about halfway through the General so I can’t fully comment on it, but so far I’d say it does both. It explains the topic or concept that will likely be a test question. So it’s more understanding what answer is correct, than memorizing correct answers.  It doesn’t go into a ton of detail more than what’s needed for the test questions though. For example, it discussed different alloys of aluminum, but didn’t say what the different alloys were better for.  Maybe that info isn’t really necessary for the basic A&P, but I was curious about it. Pretty easy to find in depth info though.  

It was definitely filmed back in the VHS days though. Not a huge deal as the concepts (or the tests lol) haven’t changed.

View Quote

Thanks for the words.  Not to pry to much, but earlier you mentioned you got it at a discount...was that a mil discount?  I'm still in so that could be an option.  

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 2:18:53 PM EDT
[#8]
No, they had a 21% discount that ended a week or so ago. The code was “spring”.  I bought their commercial, CFI, and A&P course lol. I’m real bored here.  Might try calling them to ask?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top