Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2018 12:40:18 PM EDT
We've lived in this house almost three years. So far, once or twice a year, we've experienced leaks under the sink.

It appears to be (pardon my terminology) interference between the drain pipe going into the wall and the pipe connecting the two sink drains enables the p-trap to come loose.

No matter how much I tighten or cuss, inevitably that p-trap gets loose again and leaks.

Ideas? What can I do to fix it?

Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#1]
It's probably the pressure from the garbage disposal over time causing the fitting to slip.  
You can tighten them up, but at best, it's a friction fitting on fairly weak plastic.  A plunger on a clogged sink can blow them right apart.

Either switch over to all metal, or duct tape/flex seal tape is your friend.

**Not a licensed plumber, but I've dealt with this problem more than once in places I've lived.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:46:31 PM EDT
[#2]
You might not be able to do what I did, but here it is:

Replace the double sink with a single sink that has the same overall dimensions, and get rid of the disposal.  Simplifies the piping under the sink and you'll get used to putting food in the garbage.

YMMV
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:28:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You might not be able to do what I did, but here it is:

Replace the double sink with a single sink that has the same overall dimensions, and get rid of the disposal.  Simplifies the piping under the sink and you'll get used to putting food in the garbage.

YMMV
View Quote
LOL thanks but Mrs Diggerwolf would never sign the authorization form.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:31:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's probably the pressure from the garbage disposal over time causing the fitting to slip.  
You can tighten them up, but at best, it's a friction fitting on fairly weak plastic.  A plunger on a clogged sink can blow them right apart.

Either switch over to all metal, or duct tape/flex seal tape is your friend.

**Not a licensed plumber, but I've dealt with this problem more than once in places I've lived.
View Quote
Actually I was thinking about re-engineering the p-trap with a block of wood underneath. I'm sure a real plumber would laugh at that but it seems to be the fastest, most economical solution...
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 3:29:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Perhaps re-plumb the whole p-trap assembly with sched 40 PVC pipe..
I had to do this as the water temps had to be 180+ for a state inspection.
The Sched 40 handles the temprature way better than the cheap sink drains.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#6]
All those fittings have to line up perfectly without forcing.  That is usually the problem, tightening the collars without a near perfect fit will often leak.   Sometimes you just have to start fresh with new parts.

I’m a master sparky, not a plumber, but I’ve never hired a plumber.
Just get comfortable in front of the cabinet and take your time.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:08:36 PM EDT
[#7]
That is a mess.

Completely replumb the waste line.

It needs downward slope from drains to the wall.

Leave the wall and turn to the right.

Run right as far as needed.

Elbow outward to the P-trap.

Dry fit and adjust everything to a no-stress condition, then glue it up.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:04:33 PM EDT
[#8]
It's leaking because the ptrap is installed backwards so there is only a fraction of an inch of pipe in the joint.  Cut down the pipe on the left and put the trap in correctly.  Also change the gaskets to the red rubber ones and they'll never move or leak again.  I am a master plumber and make good money fixing messes just like that.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:30:43 PM EDT
[#9]
A, I wouldn't glue anything up, makes it painful to repair later, or retrieve stuff.

B, does look like the p trap is backwards.

C, seems like you need to raise most of those pipes to get above the line going into the wall, add some slope.

D, when rebuilt, use some blue pipe dope when assembling the threaded fittings.

Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:51:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's leaking because the ptrap is installed backwards so there is only a fraction of an inch of pipe in the joint.  Cut down the pipe on the left and put the trap in correctly.  Also change the gaskets to the red rubber ones and they'll never move or leak again.  I am a master plumber and make good money fixing messes just like that.
View Quote
I didn't catch that the first time.  But you are definitely right!
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:12:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I didn't catch that the first time.  But you are definitely right!
View Quote
Winner.

I would plumb it like this:

You could trim the down pipes on the disposal and other sink to re use the parts.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:26:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
this
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top