Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:22:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

He was making a point that too many people have safe queens.
View Quote

Wear should come from honest use
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:32:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

@Paul

Mind posting some photos of those Cabela's lights with enough detail to see how they were marked and what not? Do they fully interchange with the surefire weapon lights?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
AA battery powered and other rifle tactical lights putting out a blinding 90 lumens!

I use to have a couple Surefire lights (the dedicated forend and the vertical grip versions, 500 and 900 series maybe). Took 3 CR123 batteries, put out 120 lumens with the high output bulb for a runtime of 20 minutes. For the bargain price of $500

I just upgraded two of the Cabelas surfire copies from way back when (they were sued and had to stop selling them) that were just like that. I had stopped using them because they were so dim and burned through batteries.   They have a completely new life with the LED kits!

@Paul

Mind posting some photos of those Cabela's lights with enough detail to see how they were marked and what not? Do they fully interchange with the surefire weapon lights?

I syill have one of those Cabelas lights from the late 00s and it's an exact clone of a surefire, everything interchanges. It just says cabelas on the side.

The LED upgrade is tits
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:38:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Late 90s I had an Olympic 9mm upper that worked pretty well, the mags were weird though. They took surplus uzi or sten mags and welded a chunk of metal to them so they'd fit standard AR magwells. Pretty good idea, but the mags were hard as hell to load and mag loaders wouldn't work because of the chunk of added steel.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:40:05 AM EDT
[#4]
CA off list lower fiasco, when first started, with people shelling out $300 for stripped receivers.  Then all the crap that came up after to make them CA ban compliant.

Magpul BAD lever.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:53:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe the chin stock will come back for people who are complying with the brace ban

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:53:13 AM EDT
[#6]

That grip looks so comfortable and natural.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:12:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:17:36 AM EDT
[#8]
These were not the good old days. Thank you Tom DeLay.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:59:19 AM EDT
[#9]

What a disaster, someone should have told them no.

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:05:25 AM EDT
[#10]
ARMS mounts were high-speed cool-looking garbage with their own fanboys.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:08:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Mini Y comp.
View Quote
This!

I owned one during the AWB dark days. That sucker would blow off people's hats three stations away from you.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:12:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I enjoy how cyclical it all is.

So many places that were untouchable due to being shit or due to having douche bag owners/employees are now accepted.  rguns, delton, m1s, etc.

"oh my god that's cheap garbage"
> 20 years later PSA is a goliath national treasure
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:15:15 AM EDT
[#13]
rock river fans defended dremeled feed ramps
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:19:36 AM EDT
[#14]
My only submission to this--

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:30:51 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:32:25 AM EDT
[#16]
I saved for a long while to get an ARMS SIR rail and the, then new hotness, ACE Socom stock.  You couldnt be a cool kid without them.

I put my rifle together, liked the rail because I could "bridge the gap" with my scope mount.  The stock is an abomination; I only wished I'd kept it to sell to today's cloners.

Can't forget the Leopold CQT I had to have when it was relatively new.  Sat too high, too big for a 1x3.  I was happy when I sold that thing.

In 2005 I paid $1400 for an A2 Armalight with 16" threaded barrel.  I was on cloud 9 since I now owned a "real" AR.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:13:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Does anyone remember the guy here that had "a game-changing new product for mounting a scope on an AR"? That member tried to build suspense by saying he couldn't talk about it until he filed some patent stuff or some BS.
when he finally showed us what it was, dude totally ignored height over bore and made an adjustable X riser that put the scope like 3-4 inches over the bore.

That dude lost his shit when folks here poked holes in his theory. GD was not mean......initially. But when he started telling everyone how stupid they were and how nobody understood complicated engineering....That post fent full bore GD. I can't remember if he caught a ban or if he tucked his tail and deleted his account.

IIRC the prototype he showed looked nothing like his drawing and it looked like stacked shit. It was basically a rail welded to a giant X and way too tall to do anything.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:24:05 AM EDT
[#18]
How about the member here who developed the pistol brace.

Alot if people were poo pooing the concept until he got it approved, patented, and brought to market.

I guess we're still in limbo as to which side was correct.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:32:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
MACHINEGUN OF THE SPECIAL FORCES

Arfcom: LOL beowulf x

Also Arfcom: OMG unity tactical 2.03!!11

Granted the theories were different but same damn product
View Quote

I still get a kick out of this. Some of y’all must have had giraffes as parents. Not to mention 90% of users don’t even have NV, 5% that do don’t have anywhere to shoot at night anyways, and 4.9999% only bought it because of Instagram warrior photos they saw.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#20]
non DI piston AR-15's
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:01:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:02:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

@Paul

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
AA battery powered and other rifle tactical lights putting out a blinding 90 lumens!

I use to have a couple Surefire lights (the dedicated forend and the vertical grip versions, 500 and 900 series maybe). Took 3 CR123 batteries, put out 120 lumens with the high output bulb for a runtime of 20 minutes. For the bargain price of $500

I just upgraded two of the Cabelas surfire copies from way back when (they were sued and had to stop selling them) that were just like that. I had stopped using them because they were so dim and burned through batteries.   They have a completely new life with the LED kits!

@Paul

@Wangstang

They were clones of the Surfire 6P, 9P, 12P and I think others. They were branded as Cabelas XPG series.  They were well built and great quality - probably from the same place the Surefires were made.  The ones I have I bought in the mid-late 2000s. I have found that any Surefire correct parts (both brand and offbrand) fit them so far.  I am still using them today, especially now that I have switched them over to LED.

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Half moon bolt carriers, as if having a full bodied bolt carrier automatically turned the rifle into a select fire M16.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:22:27 AM EDT
[#24]
The whole zombie craze
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:25:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Mini Y comp.
View Quote

WHAT????

I remember an ARFcom shoot where NFA_Investments had a mini Y comp on a full-auto 11.5" gun.  Unpleasant doesn't even begin to cover it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#26]
A
B
C

Mil Spec

Blue under FSB

Bitch fest of Oly Arms

The chart

Horrible comps and carbine uppers with full stocks

Tapco - Mako - ect

Carry handle optics

Giant cheap hunting scopes mounted on upper

It was a fun time with cheap ammo , but horrible with what was available

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:37:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The whole zombie craze
View Quote

To the point the UK has laws about “zombie knives”.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:47:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

The fanboyism for new vendors has been so wild to watch over the years. Even for shit products.

ARMSLarue
Spikes
Surefire
Various other flashlight, rail, and mount companies that are forgotten.
AAC

I am sure there are more I am forgetting.

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:54:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Nothing has changed really. The pistol brace of today will be the ban compliant AR of 20 years ago. People will still argue that something is “junk” just because it’s not the flavor of the month. Hell just a few years ago people were claiming that quad rails were suddenly junk because they had been replaced in popularity by M lock and key mod tubes. As if they somehow ceased to be effective.  

For the most part, I’m much happier with the present state of AR configurations and accessories. I think the biggest boondoggles for as follows:

Piston conversion kits.
6.8 Remington
H-bar
A5 configuration

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:17:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The fanboyism for new vendors has been so wild to watch over the years. Even for shit products.

ARMSLarue
Spikes
Surefire
AAC

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ARMSLarue
Spikes
Surefire
AAC

Pentagon Lights.  They were great incandescent lights at the time

I think Surefire sued them out of existence or something like that.  "Bright Flashlights" was always putting on arfcom deals that were impossible to pass up.

FWIW, my old Pentagon light still works.  None of the tail clickers on the Surefires I own will work anymore.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:23:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Memberberries Paul Prodhorn refinishing preban mags as a service on here and he ran off with a bunch of peoples mags

View Quote

That was one hell of a shit show. I powdercoated a shit load of my mags when that was going on. All of the ones I did still look as good as when I did them
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That was one hell of a shit show. I powdercoated a shit load of my mags when that was going on. All of the ones I did still look as good as when I did them
View Quote

This sounds really familiar. I think some one did this on ak-47.net
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:27:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I always wanted one of those stainless lowers. I looked high and low and never found one.
View Quote

I used a DPMS  stainless upper/lower  reciever set for High Power for quite a few years. Really wish I had it back.
Someone here had a BeCu (beryllium copper) reciever set at one time. That was pretty cool.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:34:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:38:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Memberberries Paul Prodhorn refinishing preban mags as a service on here and he ran off with a bunch of peoples mags

There was the Olympic (or similar name) coating company that was all over here with crazy prizing and promises they couldn't keep.  Turned out they were a one man shop, keeping peoples guns unsecured, and I think even loosing peoples guns.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:45:34 PM EDT
[#36]

How about a ban era HBAR Bushmaster.  My first AR and the only complete AR I have ever bought (it was like my first taste of crack). Nostalgia keeps me from changing it up.  I just pulled it out of the safe to take the picture.  I still enjoy shooting it as is.

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:17:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Does anyone remember the guy here that had "a game-changing new product for mounting a scope on an AR"? That member tried to build suspense by saying he couldn't talk about it until he filed some patent stuff or some BS.
when he finally showed us what it was, dude totally ignored height over bore and made an adjustable X riser that put the scope like 3-4 inches over the bore.

That dude lost his shit when folks here poked holes in his theory. GD was not mean......initially. But when he started telling everyone how stupid they were and how nobody understood complicated engineering....That post fent full bore GD. I can't remember if he caught a ban or if he tucked his tail and deleted his account.

IIRC the prototype he showed looked nothing like his drawing and it looked like stacked shit. It was basically a rail welded to a giant X and way too tall to do anything.
View Quote

This reminds me of the two brothers in GD who had a game changing product for the AR, they couldn't say anything until the patented it. Then when they told us what it was, it turned out to be jbweld on the carrier to flip the cover open. The one brother got laughed out of GD and off the site. The other brother eventually left over the ridicule.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:23:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:24:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

There was the Olympic (or similar name) coating company that was all over here with crazy prizing and promises they couldn't keep.  Turned out they were a one man shop, keeping peoples guns unsecured, and I think even loosing peoples guns.
View Quote

Was this a NY based guy?

Aimpoint had these T1 type optics they called the R1, I think the only difference was that it wasn't coated, they were shiny silver. Midway blew them out crazy cheap and arf people seemed to buy them all up. This guy in NY said he'd coat them in cerakote or something for a very good price. Then he disappeared with people's money and optics. If I remember right, @aimless was involved in that somehow.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:32:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Was this a NY based guy?

Aimpoint had these T1 type optics they called the R1, I think the only difference was that it wasn't coated, they were shiny silver. Midway blew them out crazy cheap and arf people seemed to buy them all up. This guy in NY said he'd coat them in cerakote or something for a very good price. Then he disappeared with people's money and optics. If I remember right, @aimless was involved in that somehow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was this a NY based guy?

Found it.  It was Olympic Cerakote.  They came in hot on the forum with crazy deals and passing out pistols barrels for people to test out.  They seemed like dumbasses but also failure brought on by their own success.  Here are a few of their threads:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/What-ever-happened-to-Olympic-cerakote-/5-2039799/

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Who-still-has-open-orders-with-Olympic-Cerakote-/5-2019232/?page=41
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:44:56 PM EDT
[#41]
I never should have sold my ARMS 40L.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Kurt's Kustom Firearms was the go-to place to have barrel work done.

Still have a barrel from YTM, You're The Man.
View Quote

I don't have the barrel in question anymore, but I had him do the standard job of reprofiling to an M4 profile and pin & weld birdcage brake. Everybody used to have that done to correct the crime of forcing HBARs w/ AK brakes on everybody. RIP Kurt.

Looking back. I have to wonder why the market wasn't more reactive than it was. Nowadays it's extremely quick to respond to new trends.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:29:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

ARMSLarue
Spikes
Surefire
AAC

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ARMSLarue
Spikes
Surefire
AAC

I never understood the spikes hate. 9 times out of 10, they were the cheapest stripped lower in every store I went to until Anderson got popular. I've never had an issue with a spikes lower either.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:36:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I remember I guy who threw his AR down the driveway, just for the street cred.

No, if I recall correctly Napoleon Tannerite wanted that military used/battle worn look that the guns the Marines and soldiers had in all of the photos coming out from the GWOT.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:37:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:38:42 PM EDT
[#46]
The great mag-refinishing debacle. Can't remember if it was this Arfcom or a previous incarnation.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:40:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The CMMG midlength group buy here with the 1/4" too long gas block location (IIRC).
View Quote

I still have that barrel.
Well, it's my daughter's now ...
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I never understood the spikes hate. 9 times out of 10, they were the cheapest stripped lower in every store I went to until Anderson got popular. I've never had an issue with a spikes lower either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ARMSLarue
Spikes
Surefire
AAC

My perception was that while they had a decent quality product, it had to do with them catering to the bro/sophomoric crowd and that awful joke of a rollmark that was trying to be a spider, a bat, and two penises all at the same time. Even the company name is kind of sophomoric.

I had planned to get one of their billet sets for the longest time, but never did wind up shelling out the cash. I don't even know if they are still around. Nobody talks about them anymore.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:50:52 PM EDT
[#49]
I remember buying my Colt HBAR (with the stupid steel block where an auto seat might go)in 1990, later I picked up a 16” Bushmaster upper and used a lathe at work to make and offset bushing to fit the large hole/small pin. A few years later some shithead RO at my range who looked like Bubbles from TPB had a fit, said I had to prove it was pre ban. Lol.

In early 1992 I bought three NIB polytechnic M14’s, (still have one). Same idiot RO saw ‘M14’ on the receiver and nearly stroked out.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:04:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Stil have one of the first nitride barrels the extension unscrewed off the barrel with only maybe 30 0or 40 ft pounds on the wrench.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top