Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2021 7:32:53 AM EDT
If this has been done please just ignore it.

Is this true?  Will we be able to buy lowers without checks?  

How will a "firearm" be determined?

This seems like a pretty big deal.

This guy seems to know what he is talking about.  

* BIG NEWS * ATF To Rewrite The Definition Of A Lower Receiver: Lower Receivers Are Not Firearms

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:40:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Another '20er freaking out.  

Up your street IQ and post less bullshit you watched on Yoooootuuube.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:41:25 PM EDT
[#3]
aint know whey
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:45:45 PM EDT
[#4]
The worst thing about pistol braces and 80% lowers is all the NRA fudds asking questions on the internet and to the ATF which subsequently give the feds more ideas. Just live your life, do what you want with your property.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:46:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Old news, but you are still required to do a BG and paperwork.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:46:24 PM EDT
[#6]
NFW
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:59:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The worst thing about pistol braces and 80% lowers is all the NRA fudds asking questions on the internet and to the ATF which subsequently give the feds more ideas. Just live your life, do what you want with your property.
View Quote

I read some of the replies from the recent BATFE shenanigans and sadly wasn't surprised with the amount of people submitting actual recommendations on brace guidelines involving suggesting acceptable calibers, barrel lengths, weights, and lengths.  Loyalist, Tory shits Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:05:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I read some of the replies from the recent BATFE shenanigans and sadly wasn't surprised with the amount of people submitting actual recommendations on brace guidelines involving suggesting acceptable calibers, barrel lengths, weights, and lengths.  Loyalist, Tory shits /media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/picard-272.gif
View Quote

My lord, if it pleases the crown I desire to put this piece of plastic I own on this piece of aluminum I own but under these requirements.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:07:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Flabble bangle saddle juggle middle quibble Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:10:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Do not comply with shit. They can’t arrest us all.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:15:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

My lord, if it pleases the crown I desire to put this piece of plastic I own on this piece of aluminum I own but under these requirements.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/452430/7FA05292-F237-4CB8-8EB2-7B01B1344214_jpe-1762676.JPG
View Quote

Accurate.  Sadly, decent people want to stay "law abiding" to their own detriment without realizing the cage being built around them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:18:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMCdgzd9THE
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:19:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Did not watch
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:20:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:58:36 PM EDT
[#15]
The portion of a gun with the serial number will be the firearm forever.
Lowered will never be classified as anything except a firearm.

Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMCdgzd9THE
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:23:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Buy all the 80% you wish.   That serial number thing tho.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:03:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:  The portion of a gun with the serial number will be the firearm forever.
Lowered will never be classified as anything except a firearm.
View Quote

ATF has lost a couple of cases in California already over this.  They nab felons, charge em w/ possession of firearm.  Smart shyster tells judge,"That ain't a firearm."  Judge agrees.  Charge thrown out.

Government does not appeal, as they don't want to set precedent, but the shysters have already communicated the winning strategy to each other.

The problem the gubbermint has, if an AR lower ain't a firearm - neither is a 1911 frame.  All the serial numbers are on the wrong parts.  And their back-door registration just went to shit.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:11:46 PM EDT
[#18]
The only thing that will come out of this is more serialized parts.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:16:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The only thing that will come out of this is more serialized parts.
View Quote

I doubt anything comes of it, but if it does it will be that.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:18:47 PM EDT
[#20]
On one hand, restricting the chambered items and bolts makes a lot more sense than restricting the lower of an AR.  The barrel and bolt are literally what enable you to fire the bullet.  Making an AR barrel from scratch is not nearly as easy for laymen as finishing an 80% lower - it requires soem gunsmith specific tools and an accurate lathe.  If I bought a reamer, gauges, barrel blank and barrel extension I could certainly spin up my own functional barrel because I have a lathe.  But a bolt requires both  precision lathe and millwork (or a CNC turning center or 4-axis CNC), not to mention proper heat treating.

On the other hand, millions of unserialized barrels and BCGs are out there.  Talk about a logistical shitshow for the ATF.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:21:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:26:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
On one hand, restricting the chambered items and bolts makes a lot more sense than restricting the lower of an AR.  The barrel and bolt are literally what enable you to fire the bullet.  Making an AR barrel from scratch is not nearly as easy for laymen as finishing an 80% lower abd making a functional bolt is even more difficult.  A barrel/bolt combo would require legitimate lathes and mills and gunsmithing skill - not to mention proper heat treating.

On the other hand, millions of unserialized barrels and BCGs are out there.  Talk about a logistical shitshow for the ATF.
View Quote

They would regulate every part that goes into a rifle if they can. Let's not give them any ideas or go around Nana, boo, booing the government.

Edit- or the mods with GD talk
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:28:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
On one hand, restricting the chambered items and bolts makes a lot more sense than restricting the lower of an AR.  The barrel and bolt are literally what enable you to fire the bullet.  Making an AR barrel from scratch is not nearly as easy for laymen as finishing an 80% lower abd making a functional bolt is even more difficult.  A barrel/bolt combo would require legitimate lathes and mills and gunsmithing skill - not to mention proper heat treating.

View Quote

A barrel + bolt don’t meet the statutory definition of a firearm receiver either.  Congress fucked themselves on that one.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:29:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 7:37:34 AM EDT
[#25]
How did you do that OP?
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:44:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The portion of a gun with the serial number will be the firearm forever.

View Quote

How's that go for Glock barrels and slides?
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:51:05 AM EDT
[#27]
This is why a European pistol has the serial number repeated on the barrel, slide, and frame.

Europe is concerned with the pressure bearing parts. That actually makes sense. This is also why you can buy an M16 lower in Europe. It is of no concern to the authorities there.  It can’t discharge a round.

Back in 1964 when Colt first marketed the AR 15 the ATF had to basically flip a coin. The upper doesn’t feed the ammo nor  have the fire control group.

The ATF chose the lower.  A FAL is the upper if I’m not mistaken.  

I actually had an AR lower in my car and got stopped for a turn signal out.
“Any guns in the car?”
“Legally yes, but not really.”
I handed him the box with the lower. He looked confused until I explained it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:21:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This is why a European pistol has the serial number repeated on the barrel, slide, and frame.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/cCQgXo9GhcdAdylogHaHRYaa_-ayYYJdOeBRMhQFMc9I-dVD_jqO7nPyoohPCfCCHhs-xophpQj678Cb4zaYYzu4n5K7VCF3Sg

Europe is concerned with the pressure bearing parts. That actually makes sense. This is also why you can buy an M16 lower in Europe. It is of no concern to the authorities there.  It can’t discharge a round.

Back in 1964 when Colt first marketed the AR 15 the ATF had to basically flip a coin. The upper doesn’t feed the ammo nor  have the fire control group.

The ATF chose the lower.  A FAL is the upper if I’m not mistaken.  

I actually had an AR lower in my car and got stopped for a turn signal out.
“Any guns in the car?”
“Legally yes, but not really.”
I handed him the box with the lower. He looked confused until I explained it.
View Quote

NICE!!! Now even a retired flatfoot like me approves.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:06:13 AM EDT
[#29]
the way I read all the crap on this is that they will be REDEFINING the definitions of what a firearm is.

Right now its something along the lines of "frame which contains the firing mechanism, a threaded connection for barrel or chamber and the bolt or locking mechanism to contain the round".  

Well you can see how the AR lower fails on a few of those points but the ATF had to make a choice on which part (since in their logic there can only be one also) to serialize.  I'm going to bet that ATF just takes the easy way out and adds some wording that amounts to "or whatever else we designate as the main component for firearms that don't fully meet the exact guidelines".
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:01:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Here's the issue - ATF can only write regulations that interpret, but do not supercede the law.  The law defines what a firearm is.  It takes Congress to change the law.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:24:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#32]
ATF has stated before they're working and expect in about 5 years to have a new definition that resolves this "problem".
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:57:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
ATF has stated before they're working and expect in about 5 years to have a new definition that resolves this "problem".
View Quote
Their problem is it would take an act of Congress to actually change anything. I guess they figure 5 years is long enough to get something done.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:01:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:24:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Removed, not GD
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:45:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2FlNMyVfxjfzIJO%2F200.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Another '20er freaking out.  

Up your street IQ and post less bullshit you watched on Yoooootuuube.
View Quote

Damn I could swear that is Joe smoe Scarborough. He looks just like beeker.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top