Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2020 8:54:44 PM EDT
I have an old APC 1500VA UPS, by old I mean I bought it when Circuit City went out of business.  It kept failing self tests a few years ago so I put it in the garage and forgot about it.  Recently opened it up and one of the batteries is bulged.  A bit of research says it uses two 12V, 9AH batteries.

I have access to plenty of 12V, 7AH batteries that we can't sell due to being outside internal specs as far as age is concerned.  Brought 2 of them home and one is at 13.02V and the other is at 10.35V.  The 10.35 is on a charger right now and if it won't stay above 12 for a day or two after charging I'll get another one.  "New batteries" are sealed lead acid.

Question is, can I use the 7AH batteries in the UPS?  It will only be powering a Synology NAS and maybe a 5 port dumb switch, or for power outages it will be a phone/tablet charger.  Not really worried about the power capacity, more worried about causing a fire.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 11:57:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I've always related amp hours to run time, so I don't see an issue using a lower capacity run time battery.

At a previous workplace if we seen batteries putting out 13+ volts we'd retire them.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 12:16:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Just lower run time gtg
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 12:29:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Yup it will be fine.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 12:43:50 AM EDT
[#4]
No problem. They're also close enough in AH rating the internal charger won't do any damage to them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top