Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2021 5:08:22 PM EDT
I'm getting things together to build another AMT Cat D8H model bulldozer.
I built the first one box-stock in the very early 80's and another in the late 80's as a woodland camo National Guard dozer.
I was passing by an engineer unit armory and noticed one parked in the equipment lot.
This time I'm going to be going with Big Yellow and adding as much scratch built parts as I can.

I've noticed that the AMT kit has no operator handle for the ripper so I'll add one.
I've seen several types and I'll put in whatever fits the kit best.

I'm not a heavy equipment savvy builder and I've noticed some D8's have a small handle on the bottom of the instrument and control panel.
Does anyone know what this is??????

Link Posted: 2/17/2021 5:16:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I originally remembered it was for starting. My first thought was it engaged the pony motor but that might not be it. One vid I found had the pony engagement on the left side of the clutch levers like in your pic.

It might be a clutch to disengage the trans then you engage the pony motor to start the main engine. Sorry, it’s been a couple decades.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:02:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm building one now, but havent gotten that far yet. Got any progress pics?

Eta: on the older ones, the trans and winch wouldn't both work at the same time. Maybe it has something to do with that?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:56:50 PM EDT
[#4]
No progress because I haven't bought the kits yet.
I always do research before starting.
In years past other then the modeling magazines there was no source of good info.  Now with the internet you can find most anything.

I'm going with the AMT Caterpillar D8H and the AMT International Paystar open pit mine dump truck.

There's some people with astounding skills posting videos on Youtube of these two builds and the lowboy trailer that can be bought separate or as a set with the Cat.
They're on their own other plain of existence on weathering and battering of heavy equipment.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:17:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

As far as I've gotten. Been working off and on for about 10 years. Scratchbuilt ROPS and swing arms.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:40:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Decompression lever. The short of it is you would move that so the engine would not build compression. Then you would fire up the pony motor and once it was up to speed you would engage the pony motor using a different lever usually located close to where the pony motor bolted to the flywheel housing to start turning the main engine. Once the 6cyl. engine was turning and up to starting rpm's you move the decompression lever back the other way and throw the fuel to the main engine then bobs your aunt your in the bulldozing business. Most of the pony motors got replaced with electric starters mainly due to cost of repairs, ease of use, less down time blah blah blah...
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:52:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Decompression lever. The short of it is you would move that so the engine would not build compression. Then you would fire up the pony motor and once it was up to speed you would engage the pony motor using a different lever usually located close to where the pony motor bolted to the flywheel housing to start turning the main engine. Once the 6cyl. engine was turning and up to starting rpm's you move the decompression lever back the other way and throw the fuel to the main engine then bobs your aunt your in the bulldozing business. Most of the pony motors got replaced with electric starters mainly due to cost of repairs, ease of use, less down time blah blah blah...
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top