Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2023 9:53:54 PM EDT
Looks like a few AM5 cpu's have a unusual problem where they appear to have an internal short or over-voltage causing distortion and bulges in the LGA contact surface and a dead cpu and a damaged motherboard.

Seems to be the cpu core voltage pads and/or the dram voltage pads.

Asus, MSI, Gigabyte and Asrock motherboards so far.

Video from 0.07 to 1.20

More info from a better source.

I missed the Damage on this Ryzen 7900X

So to be on the safe side until the cause is found i'm going to turn off expo and set my ram to 5200 and 1.10 volts and turn off PBO for now.

I don't care too much about the CPU but I don't want to kill my motherboard.

Someone sent Steve at Gamers Nexus a failed cpu and he is supposedly sending it to a failure analysis lab like he did on the 4090 connectors.

If I have time this weekend I might pull my 7600 out check it out since I did overclock the crap out of it for a couple of weeks.

EDIT:

More info, from 0:00 to 6:18.

PC HW News!!! Radeon 7600 | 7800 XT | AMD Responds to burned X3D chips | AMD Z1 Extreme!!! More!!!

Link Posted: 4/27/2023 11:47:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Hopefully the update will fix it, Asrock has not released a updated bios for my board so i'm still running at stco speeds without PBO or EXPO.

"AMD says it has resolved the voltage issues that have apparently been causing the company’s new 7000X3D series processors to randomly burn out, killing both the CPU and motherboard. The company has now distributed a BIOS firmware update to its board partners that place voltage restrictions on the AM5 socket motherboards they ran in, which should prevent the affected CPUs from operating beyond their intended limits.

“We have root caused the issue and have already distributed a new [AMD Generic Encapsulated Software Architecture] that puts measures in place on certain power rails on AM5 motherboards to prevent the CPU from operating beyond its specification limits, including a cap on SOC voltage at 1.3V,” AMD spokesperson Matthew Hurwitz tells The Verge."

https://www.msn.com/en-au/lifestyle/shopping/amd-has-apparently-resolved-the-issue-burning-out-ryzen-7000-x3d-cpus/ar-AA1aqGOB?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=9e011cd68e1143aa9d07cf57d582c457&ei=21
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 10:28:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Competition is good, until things start to get silly.

1. NVIDIA GPU power consumption.
2. Intel CPU power consumption.
3. AMD CPU power consumption.

I'm sticking with this 3950X I've got. It was the dominant king of mainstream when I bought it, and will be reasonably good for the foreseeable future.

Max power draw: 144W.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Gamers Nexus video shows a cpu actually smoking.

Also alot more information.

We Exploded the AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D & Melted the Motherboard
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 11:47:52 PM EDT
[#4]
New video on AM5 cpu's.

The Truth About AMD's CPU Failures: X-Ray, Electron Microscope, & Ryzen Burns
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 10:57:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I finally updated my bios to the latest on that was released 5/11, Asrock B650E Tachi.

I had turned off EXPO and PBO when all this mess started.

Now I am running EXPO DDR5 6000 and pbo enabled and + 200 mhz so now I have all my  performance back.

Originally the ram ran at 1.35v and now its at 1.25v with this new bios.

Hopefully the issue of burning cpu's won't happen to me.

Posting an update here since it looks like my AM5  build thread went to archives.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 6:00:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm swapping cases and removed my Ryzen 7600 and took a peek at it, looks perfect.

No sign of issues at all.

The motherboard is a Asrock B650E Tiachi.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 8:09:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Didn't have any issues with my 7600 but man did Asus screw the pooch there.

Plus side it seems that the newer bioss boot faster for some reason.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 8:14:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Looking at a Ryzen 9 7800 on Amazon to do a new build with my sons. There's a pretty nice sale right now.

Don't overclock and we'll be okay, or should I steer clear at this point?
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 8:28:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I’ve got a couple rules for my personal builds: Never buy bleeding edge, and never buy AMD.

Yeah it’s not sexy and I may be missing out on a few points on my 3DMark scores, but it’s given me 30 years of trouble-free systems with no BS. My days of screwing with hardware for hardware’s sake are long over.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got a couple rules for my personal builds: Never buy bleeding edge, and never buy AMD.

Yeah it's not sexy and I may be missing out on a few points on my 3DMark scores, but it's given me 30 years of trouble-free systems with no BS. My days of screwing with hardware for hardware's sake are long over.
View Quote

Not too sure it was AMD's fault here. A couple MB manufacturers had funky BIOS settings and were the culprits for roasting CPU's.

ASUS's response was less than acceptable. A big problem is the HQ is in Taiwan but ASUS USA was handling the PR on this. They were getting conflicting information. Parts of the company didn't seem to know there was a disclaimer on their website that said using a beta BIOS would void the warranty. Then they had to further clarify that they would not be denying warranty claims if there is a beta BIOS in use.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 1:25:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been running strictly AMD for 20 years without a single issue. Willing to bet it's the MBs.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been running strictly AMD for 20 years without a single issue. Willing to bet it's the MBs.
View Quote

It was. They were running overvolts to the CPU which fried them. Their BIOS's were shit for the X3D chips which in ASUS's case was 'fixed' with the BIOS they had in beta. They told people to update to the beta but there was a disclaimer in that page which said their warranty would be voided which they had to do 'trust us we won't void your warranty' thing.

And unfortunately a lot of people don't check that often for BIOS updates if ever or only if they run into a problem down the line. In this case the problem is frying an expensive CPU and not something like RAM compatibility.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top