Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/21/2018 3:03:31 PM EDT
https://www.nationalreview.com/blog/corner/al-sheriffs-das-no-incentive-to-enforce-the-law-if-we-cant-keep-the-funds/

Always think forfeiture.

In January, Republican state senators in Alabama introduced legislation to reform civil forfeiture. The bill makes the radical suggestion that property rights cannot be taken away without due process. (Under current practice, property can be seized without charge, let alone conviction, and the defendant needs to prove innocence at great cost to get it back.) It also aims to curb abuses by directing what does get seized to the state’s General Fund, rather than to the police departments themselves, thereby ending a practice that has been called ‘Policing for Profit’.

The Alabama Sheriffs Association and Alabama District Attorney’s Association are not pleased. Taking to AL.com, the directors of both organizations penned an op-ed in defense of civil forfeiture. They open with blatant dishonesty, claiming that the practice only targets criminals, when in at least a quarter of Alabama forfeiture cases, charges are never filed, let alone convictions made.

sending the proceeds of forfeiture to the state’s General Fund would result in fewer busts of drug and stolen property rings. What incentive would local police and sheriffs have to invest manpower, resources and time in these operations if they don’t receive proceeds to cover their costs?
View Quote
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:05:00 PM EDT
[#1]
"To serve and protect..."

Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:07:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds good.

Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#3]
How about., "get up, go to work, and do the job to the best of your ability" like other successful people in the work place.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:08:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Their incentive should be to protect and serve

Not make a buck, the fuck
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:09:32 PM EDT
[#5]
No incentive to enforce the law unless we get to take their shit.

Yeah. That was a well thought out response.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:10:39 PM EDT
[#6]
A paycheck has always been pretty good incentive for me.  If they keep giving them to me I’ll continue to show up and do my job to the best of my ability.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:10:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:11:53 PM EDT
[#8]
These types of laws have needed to be fixed for a long time.  WTF ever happened to innocent until proven guilty????
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:11:56 PM EDT
[#9]
That guy should be looking for a new line of work as that is a real deal WTF.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:11:57 PM EDT
[#10]
People in general respect the police.

Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:12:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Civil Forfeiture is among the most UnAmerican concepts ever invented.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:13:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:13:59 PM EDT
[#13]
No incentive unless we get to keep shit. How about get off your ass and earn your fucking salary. What a bunch of useless assholes.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:16:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I get their point

I mean to uphold an oath is bullshit without all that money coming in.

What would be the point...
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:18:32 PM EDT
[#15]
How about enforce the law, protect the public, and help to ensure the well-being of the community?

Are those not incentive enough?  
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:21:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How about enforce the law, protect the public, and help to ensure the well-being of the community?

View Quote
Apparently not in Alabama.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Does this mean it is about the revenue?
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:26:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep.  They just admitted it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:27:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Lol. Thank you for your service!
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:27:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Ah yes....the old "money talks, bullshit walks" ploy.

Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Lol
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:28:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Well if you're catching criminals and getting convictions, you could still use assets from those criminal enterprises to offset high expenditures... but then you'd have to, y'know, do your jobs first, make arrests, obtain convictions, and do some kind of criminal asset forfeiture, and not just say "this looks like drug money" and take it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:29:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:29:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
I agree that civil forfeiture is wrong but I think the point the Sheriff made wasn’t clear. I think what he means is that there is a cost of “doing business” so to speak. Using certain resources or the ability to allocate resources costs money. Equipment costs money, prosecuting cases cost money. If you want them to so the same stuff, then don’t complain when your taxes go up to help cover the costs of what you want them to do. Or you may want your local police to wait on the station until you call them, that’s there’s that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the fuckers might as well just came out and said they are corrupt thieves. They cant really think the public trusts them after that fucked up comment
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:38:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeah, how about doing your job. I mean it is government job, you get paid regardless. It's not like a small business that needs to turn a profit or at least break even to stay in business.

On the other hand, my wife's department won't hardly press charges on a DWI. I think she said they get to keep $60 of any fine and the rest goes to the state. PLUS - the fucking DA won't take any case that he has to work at or could possibly loose. He wants video of actual drunk driving. She's pissed because last week, some drunk hit another car, and didn't stop. The police find him, stop him, pull him out of the car and he's drunk. DA won't take the DWI charge because they only have video after the accident, doesn't matter what his condition was when they found him.

They've figured out that they're better off charging DWI's with PI and holding them overnight and letting the municipal judge handle it.

Good thing we're tough on DWI.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:44:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:45:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
These types of laws have needed to be fixed for a long time.  WTF ever happened to innocent until proven guilty????
View Quote
But, it's for the children.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:45:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Good. They are paid to serve the law and not to steal
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:46:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Don't you know it's all about the 'intent'???  
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:54:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Criminals with a badge.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:57:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:15:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Isn't....isn't that the point? What am I missing?
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:17:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
thats so old
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:21:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I agree that civil forfeiture is wrong but I think the point the Sheriff made wasn’t clear. I think what he means is that there is a cost of “doing business” so to speak. Using certain resources or the ability to allocate resources costs money. Equipment costs money, prosecuting cases cost money. If you want them to so the same stuff, then don’t complain when your taxes go up to help cover the costs of what you want them to do. Or you may want your local police to wait on the station until you call them, that’s there’s that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For real? What is their existing budget being spent on? Or are the local (crooked) politicians anticipating a certain level of "extra" revenue and re-allocating money that should be in the police budget?
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:21:50 PM EDT
[#38]
I bet this is the attitude of majority of our police and DA.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:22:28 PM EDT
[#39]
At least they're honest.  Now the voters know who to fire.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:24:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Keeping a bloated department funded requires more than just the usual property taxes.  Better to have a steady stream of unaccountable seized income that just goes into a general slush fund and can be spent however you want.  If anyone questions it accuse them of being a doper.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:25:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Well damn, never thought that I'd ever hear them admit it....it's all about the money.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:26:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
https://www.nationalreview.com/blog/corner/al-sheriffs-das-no-incentive-to-enforce-the-law-if-we-cant-keep-the-funds/

Always think forfeiture.

In January, Republican state senators in Alabama introduced legislation to reform civil forfeiture. The bill makes the radical suggestion that property rights cannot be taken away without due process. (Under current practice, property can be seized without charge, let alone conviction, and the defendant needs to prove innocence at great cost to get it back.) It also aims to curb abuses by directing what does get seized to the state’s General Fund, rather than to the police departments themselves, thereby ending a practice that has been called ‘Policing for Profit’.

The Alabama Sheriffs Association and Alabama District Attorney’s Association are not pleased. Taking to AL.com, the directors of both organizations penned an op-ed in defense of civil forfeiture. They open with blatant dishonesty, claiming that the practice only targets criminals, when in at least a quarter of Alabama forfeiture cases, charges are never filed, let alone convictions made.

sending the proceeds of forfeiture to the state’s General Fund would result in fewer busts of drug and stolen property rings. What incentive would local police and sheriffs have to invest manpower, resources and time in these operations if they don’t receive proceeds to cover their costs?
View Quote
View Quote
View Quote
I'm all for refusing to allow people who either are first time offenders or broke the law by mistake to have charges dropped if they surrender the profits of their crimes. That's generally the reason for charges either not being filed or dropped.... giving people a second chance while removing the financial benefit of committing the crime. But hey, it's perfectly normal for criminals to want to benefit from their crimes.

EDIT: I've never seen a case where there was no due process (court hearing).
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:39:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Civil Forfeiture is among the most UnAmerican concepts ever invented.
View Quote
Hey that's like saying the Mafia is un American....
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:40:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm all for refusing to allow people who either are first time offenders or broke the law by mistake to have charges dropped if they surrender the profits of their crimes. That's generally the reason for charges either not being filed or dropped.... giving people a second chance while removing the financial benefit of committing the crime. But hey, it's perfectly normal for criminals to want to benefit from their crimes.

EDIT: I've never seen a case where there was no due process (court hearing).
View Quote
that is fine provided the offense is minor enough to have no real victim, and the perp isn't a dangerous nut case.  However retaining those funds w/in the department budget or using them to fund the station Christmas party; stinks like week old fish.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Cops robbers and robbers.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:45:57 PM EDT
[#47]
LOL....And there you have it folks. Law Enforcement for profit....Don't have enough crime and criminals? No problem, make more.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:47:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Then you're fired. Goodbye.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:56:37 PM EDT
[#49]
I despise civil forfeiture laws. I’ll leave at that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:58:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Oh, fuck me... what balls.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top