Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2021 8:27:14 AM EDT
I'm looking for a premium quality all metal model of the AH-64 Apache helicopter in at least 1/32 scale(a little bigger would be better). All of the ones I find online are either plastic, small scale, or not premium quality. I would prefer the model to have a stand for "flight" and include both pilot and gunner.

Anyone have a source for high quality models like this?

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 11:48:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I seriously doubt you will find a metal model, very low demand. The cost for producing a detailed metal display model would be huge. As for plastic Academy makes a 1/35 kit, standard scale for many brands of military models. Revell / Monogram has a 1/32 kit. You probably knew that.

I doubt you will find one with a stand, most kits come with crew. Pretty sure these do.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I seriously doubt you will find a metal model, very low demand. The cost for producing a detailed metal display model would be huge. As for plastic Academy makes a 1/35 kit, standard scale for many brands of military models. Revell / Monogram has a 1/32 kit. You probably knew that.

I doubt you will find one with a stand, most kits come with crew. Pretty sure these do.
View Quote

I was afraid of that. I'm not a builder/modeler so I wanted to buy a fully built metal model. I wish I had the patience and steady hands to make a model kit look good, I just don't.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 10:36:59 AM EDT
[#3]
You could try building one and it may turn out better than you might think.

Also another option is to find a model builder who will do one for you for a commission. A lot of the really good/pro model builders do commission builds.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 11:52:51 AM EDT
[#4]
What about the wooden display models?

AH-64
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 1:54:47 PM EDT
[#5]
OP, I can point you in the direction of a couple of professional model builders that can built and paint a plastic AH-64 for you.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 9:17:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What about the wooden display models?

AH-64
View Quote

I saw those and they are cool. I just want the realism of a high quality model.

Quoted:
OP, I can point you in the direction of a couple of professional model builders that can built and paint a plastic AH-64 for you.
View Quote

@jkirkon

I'm interested. What does something like that cost?

ETA: I did see where this is a service. One major question I had was....how is a plastic model protected for shipment?
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I have no idea what that would cost, that would be for you to discuss with the professional model builder.

I take building commissions from time to time, but am taking a hiatus this year because we are moving cross country.
Depending on what you want, a build/paint can cost hundreds of dollars, to thousands of dollars. Usually, you will have to supply the kit if it’s something rare or unusual. Some model builders will source the kit for you.

I would contact Mark Myers of The Third Models. You can look him up of Facebook, or email him at:
[email protected]

He’s a great guy, and is pretty well known for his Star Trek subjects. I know he’s been featured in several magazines, and online forums. Tell him Jeff said hello.

@jkirkon

I'm interested. What does something like that cost?

ETA: I did see where this is a service. One major question I had was....how is a plastic model protected for shipment?
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 11:48:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Just a note on the plastic models available.  The Revell/Monogram 1/32 kit is quite old, from the mid 80’s.  It’s pretty accurate, but only represents a mid-80’s era Apache, with none of the updates that have been done to the real aircraft since then.  The “new” Academy 1/35 kit is a rebox of a kit previously released under the Imex or Kangnam label.  It isn’t a good kit and is less accurate than the 1/32 Revell kit that came out about 20 years earlier.  The landing gear is funky, cockpit detail poor of the size, and the “glass” area of the canopy is too small.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 6:12:54 PM EDT
[#9]
This is a nice buildup article on the 1/32 Revell AH-64.

http://promodeller.com/revell-ah-64a/

I might have to do one someday.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#10]
The Academy AH-64A goes together pretty nice.  I think it's a rebox of an older kit.  

When I have done models on commission the cost was $300-500 + materials + shipping if that is a helpful starting point.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 8:11:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have no idea what that would cost, that would be for you to discuss with the professional model builder.

I take building commissions from time to time, but am taking a hiatus this year because we are moving cross country.
Depending on what you want, a build/paint can cost hundreds of dollars, to thousands of dollars. Usually, you will have to supply the kit if it’s something rare or unusual. Some model builders will source the kit for you.

I would contact Mark Myers of The Third Models. You can look him up of Facebook, or email him at:
[email protected]

He’s a great guy, and is pretty well known for his Star Trek subjects. I know he’s been featured in several magazines, and online forums. Tell him Jeff said hello.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

[email protected]

Right on, thanks.

Quoted:
Just a note on the plastic models available.  The Revell/Monogram 1/32 kit is quite old, from the mid 80’s.  It’s pretty accurate, but only represents a mid-80’s era Apache, with none of the updates that have been done to the real aircraft since then.  The “new” Academy 1/35 kit is a rebox of a kit previously released under the Imex or Kangnam label.  It isn’t a good kit and is less accurate than the 1/32 Revell kit that came out about 20 years earlier.  The landing gear is funky, cockpit detail poor of the size, and the “glass” area of the canopy is too small.

Good info, thank you. I saw a few Revell kits and was tempted to buy one and try it. I could put it together, it's the paint and accuracy I don't have the skills to do.

Quoted:
This is a nice buildup article on the 1/32 Revell AH-64.

http://promodeller.com/revell-ah-64a/

I might have to do one someday.

Cool build and very impressive work. I saw another build of a plastic model somewhere but, I can't find the website.

Quoted:
The Academy AH-64A goes together pretty nice.  I think it's a rebox of an older kit.  

When I have done models on commission the cost was $300-500 + materials + shipping if that is a helpful starting point.

This is what I expected from a cost standpoint and I'm good with paying that for something nice.

I really hoped there was a die cast model out there that I couldn't find. Professionally painted with pilot and co-pilot. I'm wanting the AH-64 to sit atop my safe in my office where the constitution and Iron Patriot/America(cheap model) sits now.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top