Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2021 2:53:51 PM EDT
2016 F150 2.7L eco.  I think it’s the cold weather more than anything.  Battery is stock AGM.  Haven’t been driving much lately.  If I don’t drive it daily it will die after sitting for a day.  Voltage is getting to 15.1v when charged.  If I let it sit in the cold it seems to drop to 11.4 v or less and I can’t crank it.  

Is it just a combo of the cold weather and the age/wear of the battery?  

Seems to do fine in warmer weather.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#1]
The battery is on it’s last legs.    See if you can get a partial exchange.
In any case, get a new battery.   Doesn’t have to be anything fancy.
Fwiw, I’ve noticed that operating in hot weather kills them quicker.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 3:10:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Roughly 6 yr old battery? It’s dead. Time for a new battery. They don’t last forever. Plus looks like you live in a warmer climate. Heat kills batteries but their weaknesses typically show up in the cold weather since the battery is weak and has less cranking amps available already due to the cold and to add to that, the engine needs more cranking amps to start due to the cold.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 3:16:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 3:19:42 PM EDT
[#4]
3-4 years is about as long as you can rely on a car battery.

And by rely I don't mean someone doesn't have a 10 yo car battery that still works.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 3:22:39 PM EDT
[#5]
1. Modern batteries are made in Mexico bullshit

2. Modern vehicles use current flow sensors to minimize charging of the battery to reduce alternator losses which kills batteries faster
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 4:27:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Roughly 6 yr old battery? It’s dead. Time for a new battery. They don’t last forever. Plus looks like you live in a warmer climate. Heat kills batteries but their weaknesses typically show up in the cold weather since the battery is weak and has less cranking amps available already due to the cold and to add to that, the engine needs more cranking amps to start due to the cold.
View Quote

Yep, stick a fork in it.
It looks like it's a group 48, or the bigger one is a group 94.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 4:32:10 PM EDT
[#7]
agm is trash
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 4:33:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I replaced the stock battery in my 2016 F-150 a month ago.
It just died one day.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 1:18:03 AM EDT
[#9]
My general rule of thumb is that for batteries,’when the warrenty expires I expect to need to replace the battery. Literally the moment my battery with an expired warrenty even gets slow cranking it gets replaced. Had them start the car slow one morning then dead as a hammer when I tried to start it at lunchtime. Not like the old days when you’d get a week of warning. Newer batteries give almost zero warning before they strand you. I carry a jump box all the time.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 1:35:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
2016 F150 2.7L eco.  I think it’s the cold weather more than anything.  Battery is stock AGM.  Haven’t been driving much lately.  If I don’t drive it daily it will die after sitting for a day.  Voltage is getting to 15.1v when charged.  If I let it sit in the cold it seems to drop to 11.4 v or less and I can’t crank it.  

Is it just a combo of the cold weather and the age/wear of the battery?  

Seems to do fine in warmer weather.
View Quote

5 years old, time for a replacement.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 5:36:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
agm is trash
View Quote

Been my experience too.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:28:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Been my experience too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
agm is trash

Been my experience too.

Interesting, as it's all I've ever bought. I've always been told AGM is superior tech.

What is battery tier 1 these days?
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:45:12 AM EDT
[#13]
We get 2 years out of batteries here.  Consider yourself lucky. That reminds me, my truck is 2 years old....
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:58:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Interesting, as it's all I've ever bought. I've always been told AGM is superior tech.

View Quote

Lithium Ion, but $$$.

Our AGM batteries are good, they set warning lights or disable ECO start/stop (auto shut off) long before they fail to start the car. You'd be surprised how many 10+ year old MB batteries I replace. Had one over 14 years last month.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:16:16 AM EDT
[#15]
If a non-deep cycle AGM battery gets depleted once, it is often done in my experience.

When my truck died, I checked the dates and found my truck left the factory with 3 year old batteries. Luckily it died in my driveway.

Amazon Santa delivered two AGM diesel truck batteries right beside my truck fender within 24 hours.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:17:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
agm is trash
View Quote
I got 14 years out of an AGM, mr trashman.  I have vast experience with AGM batteries and your post puts you well in the running for dumbest post of the year.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:19:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
agm is trash

Been my experience too.

I've used them 1/2 dozen times over the last 20 years and they all have died in under 2 years.

A lot of people have better luck with AGM than I have.

I use conventional lead acid batts in all my vehicles, tractors, and motorcycles. 3-4 years is about the average life span.  4 bikes will likely need replacing this spring
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:07:04 AM EDT
[#18]
I have to agree with others on here.  Batteries are 3 to 5 year lifespans.

In saying that my newer battery charger with Battery Recond option has been able to revive my severely depleted AGM Motorcycle battery.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:52:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
1. Modern batteries are made in Mexico bullshit

2. Modern vehicles use current flow sensors to minimize charging of the battery to reduce alternator losses which kills batteries faster
View Quote

Odyssey batteries are not made in Mexico or China.

I’ve had fantastic luck with them. A bit more expensive, but to me worth it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Been my experience too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
agm is trash

Been my experience too.

Compared to what?
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 1:01:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
agm is trash
View Quote

Quoted:

Been my experience too.
View Quote

Lol. My US made AGM is going on 5 and a half years since I installed it and still starting my pickup in 0 degree weather.

AGMs are well known to handle cold and vibration much better than traditional LA. They generally last longer too. If you rarely run the vehicle (sports car, bike, ATV, boat) no fucking shit the battery isn't going to last long if you leave it hooked up. Disconnect it, at least. If you live somewhere cold, it doesn't hurt to pull the unused batteries in the winter and bring them inside, then rotate a trickle charger on them.

I know Optimas and the like are cool, but I don't need deep cycle capability on my pickup and I am perfectly happy with 5+ reliable years of service.

OP, my vote is to get the highest CCA AGM that will fit the stock mounting bracket.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 1:29:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Batteries being allowed to discharge too much kills them more than anything.  Heat is a close second.  

I have a riding mower with a typical cheap lawn mower battery on it.  The battery is going on 5 years old.  I charge it occasionally throughout the winter and it's still starting the mower. I was going to replace it last summer but decided to run it as long as possible to see when it would die.

I have a 8 year old yellow top Optima in my Kubota tractor and it's still working.  Sounds like it's getting a little weak but it's still starting the tractor.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Make sure you put a correct group sized agm battery back in it. Preferably an oem battery.

The auto stop systems require an agm battery in most cases. And the charging and battery monitoring systems don’t like battery changes.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 5:57:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Make sure you put a correct group sized agm battery back in it. Preferably an oem battery.

The auto stop systems require an agm battery in most cases. And the charging and battery monitoring systems don't like battery changes.
View Quote
I know that on a newer Audi, the ECU needs to be reset with a programmer if you change the battery, or it will not charge correctly.  

Maybe someone knows for sure about the Ford?
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 6:57:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I know that on a newer Audi, the ECU needs to be reset with a programmer if you change the battery, or it will not charge correctly.  

Maybe someone knows for sure about the Ford?
View Quote

On a honda  it needs to relearn the battery internal resistance. There is a process that involves turning the ignition on and off 20 times to do it. No scan tool procedure.

Even then if you do the relearn a d the battery is a different size it will cause issues.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 7:55:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Keep in mind that if a battery cycle life will be reduced if its capacity is discharged a significant % frequently, & especially if it drops below below threshold discharge depth. Charge maintenance is key to optimizing battery life.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:37:36 AM EDT
[#27]
I lived in AZ for 20 yrs, Always bought optimas and most lasted from 5-7 yrs.
Hell i took out a 5yr one out of in laws car and used it in my boat for 5 more
years until i sold it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:40:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I got 14 years out of an AGM, mr trashman.  I have vast experience with AGM batteries and your post puts you well in the running for dumbest post of the year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
agm is trash

Aaaaaagggghhh.  It's battery time for me here in AZ.  Are you willing to say what brand of AGM gave you 14 years of service?
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:52:46 PM EDT
[#29]
OEM Ford battery.  It's time.

I have a couple of Motorcraft MAX Group 65 850CCA batteries under the hood.  They work fine.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:03:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
agm is trash
View Quote
The OEM AGM battery in my 2007 Honda Odyssey lasted 10 years.  Granted it only has 100k miles on it at the time.  Still, that was impressive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top