Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2021 3:34:15 AM EDT

Barrell Craft Spirits 15 Year Bourbon (Bottle #4,662)

52.45% ABV

Paid- $0 Got as a Christmas gift from my boss (MSRP ~ $230-250)

Glass: Crystal rocks glass

Drink: Neat

Description From Barrell: "This complex 15-year-old bourbon was blended and bottled at peak maturity so you can experience its true flavor. It is a perfect union of grain and barrel, with an old, oaky nose and a deep, honey- maple palate that reveals the lushness of the grain"

Nose- Very subtle, though perhaps that's due to my glass. A blend of peat and oak with a sweetness that isn't fruity.

Palate- Very smooth for a bourbon of this proof, smoother than some 42% bourbons I have had. The earthy peaty tastes dominate the initial roll, and there is some mineral notes as well.

Finish- There is a notable and long transition from the initial earthiness to a strong caramel/maple sweetness at the finish. There little to no burn, something I am somewhat sensitive to, but there is a warmth that follows the bourbon down, almost like drinking a hot soup.

Conclusion: The transition from palate to finish is more drawn out and gradual than any other bourbon I've ever had, and that made what would otherwise have been an unremarkable drinking experience interesting. The peaty tastes and aromas reminded me instantly of the inside of a good humidor, and I quickly found myself wishing I had a Romeo y Julieta to pair with it. While I am tempted to give it a slightly higher score Barrell Craft Spirits charges a premium for this bottle, and thus it must be held to a higher standard. While it is an exceptionally smooth pour, it really didn't blow me away to make me think it was worth four or five bottles of a more mid-range bourbon. This is my first review, so I don't know if price is supposed to be a factor or not, but if this was a sub-$100 bottle I would easily rank it at least 5-6 points higher. Alas, I think I am too cheap to buy this bottle for myself, but I can't deny that I am enjoying it.

Score: 86/100

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:30:26 PM EDT
[#1]
the only bottle of Barrel I ever purchased was so peanut forward its still sitting on my shelf 4 years later and haven't been able to bring myself to buy another bottle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top