Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2021 9:15:16 PM EDT
Does anyone know if the fucking stuff is available in 55 gallon drums or by the ton? Clumping only, not the old style stuff.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 9:26:15 PM EDT
[#1]
How many cat's do you have!!  I despise cleaning out the cat litter. Ours cat is in and out during the day so the only time it gets used is when we throw him out in the garage almost every night when he wakes up and wants to go out.  Even that is bad enough.  My best guess would be some place like COSTCO or SAMS club, other than that I imagine you are SOL.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 9:30:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw a giant thing of it at COSTCO. Though I don't own any cats.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#3]
OP sorry  

Link Posted: 2/5/2021 10:10:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Sam's sells 42-lb pails of it.  That's what we use.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:12:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 12:27:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I have 11 cats, all but 2 are indoor-outdoor but they go out less in the winter. In the summer they’re more likely to shit as soon as they come in than go outside. The litter boxes are 30”x20”x16” storage totes and I go through 3 17lb boxes of the lightweight stuff per box per week. I’ve tried less expensive stuff like pine/cedar, corn, and newspaper, it all pretty much sucks. The regular clumping litter costs $10 for a 35-40lb box, so about 1/4 the price per pound of lightweight, but I end up with a trash bag I can barely lift every 3-4 days. Plus there’s the $120/week for litter. I guess I’ll go back to the heavyweight clumping for now while I search.

I live 70 miles from the nearest Walmart and Sam’s & BJ’s are even farther. Chewy is woke as fuck, so is Petco so fuck them both. I generally fill the back of my Jeep with litter and food when I go to the vet (also 70 miles away) to get prescription urinary tract food every 3 weeks. Gas mileage on the drive home sucks more than usual with an extra 5-600lb or so, but the weight has come in handy going over the mountains in snow LOL
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 12:38:33 AM EDT
[#7]
You don't have to dump it all, just the clumps, add a little more litter on top and repeat.

Link Posted: 2/6/2021 1:17:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I don’t dump it all, each box has at least 10lb of shit and piss clumps in it per day so the level goes down pretty quickly. Basically it takes a box every other day to maintain a level that lets them cover up well enough.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 1:22:43 AM EDT
[#9]
The Petco near me has a DIY litter fill station that easily has a couple 55gal drums worth of the stuff in it.

I suspect you could probably buy the primary containers of that from them directly.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 1:31:01 AM EDT
[#10]
We use the paper pellets because it doesn't get tracked all over the place.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:21:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Petco near me has a DIY litter fill station that easily has a couple 55gal drums worth of the stuff in it.

I suspect you could probably buy the primary containers of that from them directly.
View Quote

I’ll have to see where the closest Petco is and maybe swallow my political distaste for them. Or at least find where they get it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:04:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I use "Special Kitty" brand from Walmart.  Clumps good enough and I can get a 40lb box for about $10-$11.  Never seen it sold in drums.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 7:01:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Tractor Supply sells 40lb boxes for $9 or $10. Pellets for my pellet stove are $5.50/40lb bag. I’m seriously thinking about trying a litter box with them in it, I’d just have to smash them up a bit first.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 5:35:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Tractor Supply sells 40lb boxes for $9 or $10. Pellets for my pellet stove are $5.50/40lb bag. I’m seriously thinking about trying a litter box with them in it, I’d just have to smash them up a bit first.
View Quote

I use stove pellets, made from mostly Douglas fir. Cheapest solution I have found. I figure that my cats climb up Douglas fir trees when they’re outside, and they sometimes even get the sap on their coats. So, they don’t seem bothered by the smell. They’re able to clean the sap blobs off with their usual licking/grooming.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I use stove pellets, made from mostly Douglas fir. Cheapest solution I have found. I figure that my cats climb up Douglas fir trees when they’re outside, and they sometimes even get the sap on their coats. So, they don’t seem bothered by the smell. They’re able to clean the sap blobs off with their usual licking/grooming.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, I was a little concerned about whatever they use to glue the sawdust together not being good for them to ingest but if I don’t pulverize the pellets there should only be minimal sawdust. The absorbency is my other concern, but I’d imagine it’ll soak urine up pretty quickly. I guess I’ll give it a trial run in a 3rd litter box and see how well it works. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:44:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I wonder if you could just buy a truck load of sand? Might be cheaper although I have no idea if it'll clump up or not. At least with the sand once the truck dumps it onto your property you can just use a shovel and bucket to fill the litter boxes.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 9:32:17 PM EDT
[#17]
We have 5 cats and recently switched from Omega Paw litter boxes to Litter Robots.  They are pricey up front but holy hell they are awesome!  We are also going through less than half the litter we were so it's a win win.  We use two robots for our 5 cats and only have to empty them every 3 days or so instead of every day.  Not to mention actually cleaning them is a breeze.  They connect to the WiFi so the app tells you how often the cats are using them, when they need to be cleaned, if there are faults or problems.

If you can swing the initial $500 per robot they are awesome and you'll use way less litter.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 9:37:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Litter robot.  Seriously best thing I’ve done for a cat.  Will pay for itself in a few years in litter.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top