Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:09:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lessons to be learned, and a balance in all things.

One idea is, like protons and neutrons, there must be positive and negative to create a balance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq2zU5LG1sw

This probably doesn’t mean much to most people, but it may for someone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RflQLiswvSE
View Quote

The best handling of ecclesiasties I have ever encountered: https://www.sermonaudio.com/search.asp?seriesOnly=true&currSection=sermonstopic&sourceid=gracenevada&keyword=An+Exposition+of+Ecclesiastes&keyworddesc=An+Exposition+of+Ecclesiastes

Won't do anyone who doesn't believe christ died for them an ounce of good, though.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:10:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

So essentially this generation is being punished for the actions of men thousands of years ago ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
God did not intend for Man to have disease and death. When Man disobeyed God and did not seek forgiveness from Him very early on in the Bible, this was the Fall of Man. Now we are burdened with the natural things of human nature.

So essentially this generation is being punished for the actions of men thousands of years ago ?

No, punished for their own choices. It's an ongoing thing.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:12:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Everyone will see something different. I read that passage, and “set on the flesh” to me is for those that are more consumed with physical pleasures or corrupted traits than something greater.

There’s one definite way to make something impossible, and that’s to believe can’t happen.

In case anyone thinks I’m saying something I’m not... A return to righteousness and closeness to Creation isn’t the same as building a ladder to heaven.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Adam and Eve committed the original sin by being manipulated by the Great Deceiver and eating the apple. Prior to that, we were all intended to be free of death and disease. Sin is our fall from His Grace, which requires our constant plea for His mercy and forgiveness in the form of prayer.

I know this is a wacky thought, but what if people could return to that state? (or at least close to it) by finding the proper path, and focusing their intent, and actions into manifesting that reality.

We can't.

(Romans 8:7-8)
For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God's law; indeed, it cannot.
Those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

If you look at the passage, it's talking about those who are under adam's representation and those who are under christ's. Verses 7-8 is talking about people under adam.

Everyone will see something different. I read that passage, and “set on the flesh” to me is for those that are more consumed with physical pleasures or corrupted traits than something greater.

There’s one definite way to make something impossible, and that’s to believe can’t happen.

In case anyone thinks I’m saying something I’m not... A return to righteousness and closeness to Creation isn’t the same as building a ladder to heaven.

What the text means - what the author means, is what's important. All else is secondary at best.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:16:21 PM EDT
[#4]
This is a classic question in the philosophy of religion, and is commonly termed "the problem of evil".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_evil

There have been many responses to this challenge. I personally most closely align with Leibniz.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_of_all_possible_worlds
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:21:26 PM EDT
[#5]
OP needs to find a good Bible based church, instead of trolling the internet.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:23:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Also ponder this:

When you say there is evil, aren’t you admitting there is good? When you accept the existence of goodness, you must affirm a moral law on the basis of which to differentiate between good and evil. But when you admit to a moral law, you must posit a moral lawgiver.

Who might that be?
View Quote

Single best post ever on AR15....
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:23:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Zero evidence for that. People have been trying to as long as people have been around, and not done it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know this is a wacky thought, but what if people could return to that state? (or at least close to it) by finding the proper path, and focusing their intent, and actions into manifesting that reality.

People will return to that state after the resurrection.

I take you’re referring to the resurrection of Christ.

I’m saying it’s possible (although probably not just like the beginning) if people open their hearts, now.

Zero evidence for that. People have been trying to as long as people have been around, and not done it.

I admitted there’s no evidence.

People do far more foolish things thinking it will finally work out different this time, like communism, or using money.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:27:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What the text means - what the author means, is what's important. All else is secondary at best.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Adam and Eve committed the original sin by being manipulated by the Great Deceiver and eating the apple. Prior to that, we were all intended to be free of death and disease. Sin is our fall from His Grace, which requires our constant plea for His mercy and forgiveness in the form of prayer.

We can't.

For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God's law; indeed, it cannot.

If you look at the passage, it's talking about those who are under adam's representation and those who are under christ's. Verses 7-8 is talking about people under adam.

LOL, I don’t think they’re around to tell us what they meant.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:29:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

What value is there in having someone else tell you the meaning of life?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:30:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Brings me back to my original point.

Why create something with a built in defect ?
View Quote

Because only he is righteous and perfect.... our down fall and imperfection once again only exemplifies his prefect ability.  Also known as Holy.  The Lord God is Holy.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:55:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

We can't.

If they were around, they'd use the same thing - their words.  That dog don't hunt.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:07:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I've seen so many people who don't believe, because God doesn't do things the way they would.

Isiah 55-8 "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways," declares the LORD. 9 "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so My ways are higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts".

On my journey, I have to remind myself to stop trying to figure God out. Stop second-guessing Him. We are in no position to do that. If we could get out a slide rule and explain it so that it all made perfect sense, well, then there'd be no room, or need for faith, which is believing without seeing.

Proverbs 3-4 "Then you will find favor and high regard in the sight of God and man. 5 "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight".

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:15:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So you would rather have God force you to follow him rather than allow you to choose?

He lets us choose between heaven or hell.

And He even sent his Son to be slaughtered so His blood pays the price of our admission to heaven

Sounds pretty fair to me.

I hear that you're struggling. You wouldnt be posting this if you werent. My prayer for you is that you keep seeking.
View Quote

But if he were omnipotent, and omnibenevolent, he wouldn’t have to pay himself in blood to forgive the sins of his beloved humans. Hell would still be punishing the ones who “chose” not to worship, which if he were real, is a perfectly valid view given the shit he allows, which he doesn’t eliminate even though he should because a perfect God is omnipotent and omnibenevolent and would end the suffering of innocents if he had the ability to do so.

With how short life really is, (let’s be honest, it is short), no omnibenevolent deity would let you go to hell for anything. He couldn’t create or sustain hell if he were omnibenevolent.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:17:18 AM EDT
[#14]
God’s jealousy is a sin in itself if you accept he is real and actually demands worship or he punishes you forever.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:24:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
God’s jealousy is a sin in itself if you accept he is real and actually demands worship or he punishes you forever.
View Quote

It's a sin because you say so?

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:25:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Meh

People like OP will find ways to not believe.  Easier to do what the fuck and believe what the fuck you pull out of your ass and call “right”

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:28:13 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

I don’t really care what others think. It always seemed to me like deity jealousy was a major flaw. Then again, I don’t believe in a deity. I can’t fathom why a creator would care how much you paid attention to him. That sounds so incredibly petty when you see how massive the universe is.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:42:31 AM EDT
[#18]
The old supposed problem of evil...

Let's suppose that God did create a perfect universe where there was no sin... Maybe he did but what makes you think that you (or any of us) would exist in that universe? You wouldn't, none of us would. And if God made you perfect enough for that perfect universe then you wouldn't be you, you would be an entirely different person.

So, for you to exist you must exist in a flawed universe.

And people reject God, everyone on Earth does to one degree or another, that is also our nature. And flawed imperfect beings probably wouldn't do so well if they were under the direct rule of a perfect God. So we get to be ruled by the "God" of the atheists which is physical law. And that physical law doesn't care about you at all. It will cause you to get cancer, it will inflict disease and death on you. That physical law will kill you from a random fall and not think even once about it.

Now, you might ask, why create people in such a flawed universe? But, do you find any joy or happiness in existence? God knows I've had a lot of heartbreaks and hard times but I still find my existence is meaningful enough not to go stick my head in an oven or something. And people who have had horrible lives by most standards still find meaning in their existence.

So, you can't logically exist in the perfect world you want God to have created. That means God could either create you in an imperfect universe along with all the other imperfect things or he could not create you, or any of us, and deny us existence.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:48:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No it doesn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you really want to understand,  you'll have to read the bible, it makes it pretty clear.

Yes - but the bible also tells us that Noah managed to save ALL the planets living creatures on one boat.

No it doesn't.

Ok - enlighten me ?

For that is what was taught in the 1970s Irish schools.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:49:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I don't really care what others think. It always seemed to me like deity jealousy was a major flaw. Then again, I don't believe in a deity. I can't fathom why a creator would care how much you paid attention to him. That sounds so incredibly petty when you see how massive the universe is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't really care what others think. It always seemed to me like deity jealousy was a major flaw. Then again, I don't believe in a deity. I can't fathom why a creator would care how much you paid attention to him. That sounds so incredibly petty when you see how massive the universe is.
I know where you are coming from. Some human words in the Bible can't explain God.  If you gave someone life, a bunch of blessings, children, the feelings a human experiences etc. I just think God would be happy with a thank you.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:49:56 AM EDT
[#21]
I would like to know how someone chooses what to believe and what not to believe from the bible. Does anyone here believe that some old ancient guy really lived 900 years? That Noah gathered two of every species on earth and kept them on a boat? I mean there is just so much nonsense. I have a friend that believes that the universe is only six thousand years old, apparently t-rex was around at the same time as man. That's just stupid isn't it?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:57:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Satans plan is to deny you your free agency. Gods plan is to give you free agency.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:03:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I don’t really care what others think. It always seemed to me like deity jealousy was a major flaw. Then again, I don’t believe in a deity. I can’t fathom why a creator would care how much you paid attention to him. That sounds so incredibly petty when you see how massive the universe is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not the point.

Why should you, let alone anyone else, think what you claimed is true?

You're a blue only chili with beans boojum! ... why? 'cause I say so! No, don't ask what that is and why it applies to you! Stop that!

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:11:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This is a different approach but stick with me. The Bible speaks of predestination. A thorough study of the doctrine reveals that some people are innately open (as a function of their free will) to the possibility of God. Others are predisposed to reject God.  

People who are open to at least the concept of God eventually find Him. After all they're not in this alone; God is fully engaged.

People who are hostile to the possibility of [a good and loving] God will never find Him. They have used/use their free will to wall themselves off to the possibility.

Jesus spoke of this situation in a parable.

Luke 16:

27 And he [a formerly rich sinner who has died and gone to hell] said, 'Then I request of you, father [Abraham], that you send him [a poor man who died and is now in heaven] to my father's house 28 for I have five brothersin order that he may warn them, so that they will not come to this place of torment as well.' 29 But Abraham *said, 'They have Moses and the Prophets; let them hear them.' 30 But he said, 'No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent!' 31 But he said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be persuaded even if someone rises from the dead.'"

Jesus told this parable knowing that He Himself would rise from the dead and most would still reject Him. [He also told it to illustrate that one man had his good things on earth and his bad things afterwards; the other man had bad things on earth and good things afterward.]

This is the bottom line. There's no point in asking about God if you have ruled out the possibility of a good and just God a priori. Otherwise, seek and you will find. That's a promise.

View Quote

Except it wasn’t a parable. Jesus tells this factual story in the first person in real time.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:12:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Ok - enlighten me ?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you really want to understand,  you'll have to read the bible, it makes it pretty clear.

Yes - but the bible also tells us that Noah managed to save ALL the planets living creatures on one boat.

No it doesn't.

Ok - enlighten me ?

(Genesis 6:19-20)
And of every living thing of all flesh, you shall bring two of every sort into the ark to keep them alive with you. They shall be male and female.
Of the birds according to their kinds, and of the animals according to their kinds, of every creeping thing of the ground, according to its kind, two of every sort shall come in to you to keep them alive.

Two of every kind,

(Genesis 7:2-3)
Take with you seven pairs of all clean animals, the male and his mate, and a pair of the animals that are not clean, the male and his mate,
and seven pairs of the birds of the heavens also, male and female, to keep their offspring alive on the face of all the earth.

Seven pairs of the clean.

Even taking the *widest* possible construable of kinds and clean, that still isn't "every single animal on earth."
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:15:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I would like to know how someone chooses what to believe and what not to believe from the bible. Does anyone here believe that some old ancient guy really lived 900 years? That Noah gathered two of every species on earth and kept them on a boat? I mean there is just so much nonsense. I have a friend that believes that the universe is only six thousand years old, apparently t-rex was around at the same time as man. That's just stupid isn't it?
View Quote

"You don't believe what I do, I think you're stupid for that, even though I can't show how what you think is stupid."
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:50:21 AM EDT
[#27]
I get what the op is saying, don’t want to diminish a sincere question with a textbook answer. This question, though, has been asked throughout the ages. I would say look at what he is assuming, that because some choose evil, freedom itself must be evil. Freedom is almost universally considered, except by leftists, to be something that is good or the very least neutral. It is a good or valuable thing to have freedom, almost everyone agrees.

My Christian response is the Bible is clear that there is an end-plan for God’s elect that far exceeds what we can imagine, 1Corinthians 2:9, and there will be divine retribution for evildoers so that justice is restored and for the innocent who have suffered, like little children, God will comfort them, protect them, and wipe away their tears, Revelation 21:4
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:55:21 AM EDT
[#28]
What is Light without Darkness?
What is Life without Death?
What is Good without Evil?

Without that contrast and perspectives to learn from them, what is anything worth?
Without struggle, your greatest reward is nothing but a participation trophy.

Jesus didn't come here to seek the already safe.  He came here to seek and save the lost.
I and others will pray for you, brother, that He may find you, and you him soon.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:03:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So you would rather have God force you to follow him rather than allow you to choose?

And He even sent his Son to be slaughtered so His blood pays the price of our admission to heaven

I hear that you're struggling. You wouldnt be posting this if you werent. My prayer for you is that you keep seeking.
View Quote

Does he? Wouldn't an almighty, all knowing, all perfect God know what we are going to do before we do it? And if he does, is it really giving us a choice? Or is God tickled and just as surprised as we are when we show up in Heaven having accepted salvation?

I believe in God. I pray multiple times a day even if it's just to say a quick short thank you or just to converse with. I've had many prayers answered. There's a lot I question about God and what's written in the Bible.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:11:53 AM EDT
[#30]
This world is ours, and everything in it, and everything that happens. God gives us a roadmap of how to live well. Is it his fault most people don't choose that path? Further, God's true kingdom is of the immortal. It's our soul that matters, not our bodies and what awful things people do to them. There are a lot of people who get sucked into putting everything on mortal life, even those who want God. This physical world is temporary, a larval stage if you will. After death comes the true life, and the pure form of which path we take.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:17:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The mental gymnastics required to excuse and justify that by a believer could not be considered logical anywhere in the known universe or any hypothetical dimention of space and time.
View Quote

OP fails to understand that the material life is not the end goal. It’s a stepping stone.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:25:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can't miss what you never had so that question is pointless
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:59:10 AM EDT
[#33]

View Quote
Okay, think about 'the natural world' with no humans in it.

Creatures die in mudslides, fires, earthquakes, volcanoes, etc.
Creatures actively kill each other.  Those that don't get killed die of disease or freak accidents.

That's what the world is.  That's what life is.  There is no life without death.  It's two sides of the same coin.

So God can choose to have absolutely nothing except inert mass - or he can choose Life AND Death.

And that's why there are humans dying of disease, natural disaster, and all the like.  Because this idea of a 'happy kumbaya all the animals dance together on a flowery field' is just make-believe.  Might as well as your religious teachers why God didn't make the world out of gumdrops and candycanes so people could just eat candy all day.

As far as 'allowing' humans to do evil to each-other.  That's free will.   You can't have just half of that.  It's either you have free will to do good OR harm...or you don't really have free will.  We didn't 'mess it up'.  We have it. Full stop.  

It's not like you can remove free will and still have humans, or really still have any life more complicated than algea.  How does life work if there's some program forcing them 'be nice to each-other'.  I mean, how does a deer eat grass and how does a wolf or a man eat the deer?

There's no option for a magic happy world ala candyland.  The option is life AND death  or nothing - just barren rock balls  rotating around masses of burning gas.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:01:05 AM EDT
[#34]
OP, the best answer I know to your question is the answer God gave Job.  Which, in a nutshell, is that God’s power and understanding are so far beyond ours that we aren’t in a position to question Him.

Think about it.  To accept the existence of the Christian God is to accept the existence of a being that is eternal, omniscient, and omnipotent.  One who created the universe from nothing by the power of his word.  Why would we think that this being owes us an explanation for everything he does, or that we would understand if he did answer?

We can’t even follow simple instructions that would improve our situation.  Who are we to question the creator of the universe?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:12:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

@dex71 do you have a link to where you discussed your NDE? I have always been intrigued by those experiences people have.

I would consider myself to be in a similar situation as the OP, but reading about experiences others have is one of those things that makes me believe I may very well be wrong in my way of thinking.
View Quote

@IwearMossyOak I do not have a link...it was in a thread that headstoner made about his NDE and it seems like that was quite a while ago.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:15:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:22:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:33:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Another question I asked and either got no answer ( or one that seemed made up on the spot ) was.........

Will the God that Christians believe in, accept into paradise, those who WERE religious and WORSHIPPED a God but just chose ( or were born into ) the wrong one / wrong religion ?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:44:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

"You don't believe what I do, I think you're stupid for that, even though I can't show how what you think is stupid."
View Quote

So tell me, do you believe someone lived 900 years? Do you believe that Noah built a boat and had two of every species on it for months? Do you take it on faith that t-rex has to have lived at the same time as man? If not how do you choose what is true and what isn't? Serious question, I'm really trying to understand.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:02:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:13:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I've had a miracle happen in my life, even though at one time I had turned
 my back on God.

nothing I say will change your mind, but I do want to tell you and everybody else
  that my Faith in God will never be shaken.

View Quote

This.

I was an atheist just 4 years ago. God saved my sinner ass, saved my wife,  saved our marriage, etc.

Which I knew what to say other than pray like you have never prayed before and ask Him to talk to you, to show you His love.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:25:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I’m going to argue a very unpopular, and currently unverifiable opinion:

Cancer and disease are preventable ailments that are signs people are living improperly.

I say this as someone that, if I live long enough, may die of cancer. Science has begun to understand that all these diseases are caused by malfunctions in the body from environmental causes like toxins or from stress.

Personal responsibility is more than just not getting food stamps or voting for a republican.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

saving ones spiritual soul and ones physical body are 2 separate issues

a good persons soul may be saved but he may physically die in the same  storm as a non believer.

when man was cast out of the garden it would be a world filled with cancer/disease/human exploitation yet most men will still reach for poisoned fruit, they just have to watch marvel movies for some reason even though they know in their heart it contains poison.

when those who finally sit at their saviors table it will be because they chose to go to their fathers house for dinner not because of  a calendar holiday or guilt trip from ones mother or because how it appears to others- it will be because they want to be there.

I’m going to argue a very unpopular, and currently unverifiable opinion:

Cancer and disease are preventable ailments that are signs people are living improperly.

I say this as someone that, if I live long enough, may die of cancer. Science has begun to understand that all these diseases are caused by malfunctions in the body from environmental causes like toxins or from stress.

Personal responsibility is more than just not getting food stamps or voting for a republican.

also by others living improperly. The cause of my wifes cancer is most likely the result of polluted soil from a nuclear meltdown that was handled improperly. The area it happened in is real estate rich and people will sign waivers just to live there. Years of trying to get clarity most officials still slam the door in my face meanwhile members of my graduating class keep dying off from all different types of cancer. So one can live right but the sin of man will still affect you if that neighboring man poisons the well.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:45:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Holy Bible tells us the meaning of life; the preacher will explain it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Another question I asked and either got no answer ( or one that seemed made up on the spot ) was.........

Will the God that Christians believe in, accept into paradise, those who WERE religious and WORSHIPPED a God but just chose ( or were born into ) the wrong one / wrong religion ?
View Quote
Only God knows. God does wink at our ignorance. On the other hand, the Bible says the Gospel will be preached to the whole world and then the end shall come. Is there an excuse in there somewhere? We don't know for sure. We know Jesus died for the sins of the world, and I expect Him to intercede on behalf many people that we may not think fits our interpretation of who is saved. After all, that is what grace is all about.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:59:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Not a troll ( unless you feel asking a logical question is an attempt to annoy you ).

Bit of background for you - the reason I stopped believing in religion at 12yo ( and in a small town in West of Ireland at the time so "sticking my head above the parapet" does not even begin to cover the shit show I willingly let myself in for )........................

As a 12yo boy who spent most of his time reading and IMHO having a fair grasp of logic - I had a problem when I observed the evil that exists in the world. And the suffering of innocent people ( disease etc )

Because God created all those humans engaged in evil. And all those humans getting diseases.

I asked my relisious education teacher the following question.............

If God created us and had free reign in our design and specifications etc - why did he not hard wire us with the inability to harm another human. Why did he build in horrible diseases ?

I backed up that question with the example of a robot manufacturer deliberately choosing to create a product with the ability to do harm to his other robots when he has the ability to manufacture one hard wired to rule it out.

Or a car manufacturer deliberately making an exquisite car. The very epitome of luxury and reliability. But deliberately taking 1 in every 100 on the production line and building in a flaw that makes it a write off in its first year of use - why would a manufacturer do that ???

Free will I hear some say ? He gave us free will and WE have messed it up.

Well ok then - my logic still applies.

God thought free will might be a good idea. But that has turned out to be a terrible idea ! So, surely God would withdraw that free will ? If he can create us - he can fix flaws too ?

This has kept me away from the Church for 40 years. I still try to be the best human I can be - I do not fcuk with others where its not needed. My values are decent for the most part.

I read of a USGI who was dealing with rescuing the inmates from a WW2 death camp. On the side of one of the bunks he found the following ( or similar ) scratched into the wood ( by the dead occupant ).........

"IF, there is a God - when I finally meet him, he will have to get on his knees and beg my forgiveness"

It says it all for me.................
View Quote

God didn't want slaves/robots.

God wants friends to love God and to love each other.

You can't force someone to be your friend.

You can't force someone to love you.

You can't force someone to apologize to you.

If you do then it's not real.

The flip side is that people are free to do evil too.

As for disease... IDK. But dying of disease does not change whether you go to heaven or hell.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:15:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

If your teachers could not answer this one they were either very poorly educated in their professed faith or did not want to acknowledge the truth.  The Bible makes it quite clear that the only way to heaven is through faith in Christ.  For those who lived before the birth of Christ this took the form of faith in God’s promise of a future Messiah.

There is no salvation in false gods or religions.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:24:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

So he gave us free will.

Then sent his son to be killed.

But only if we acknowledge that his son is the savior will we get into heaven.

Doesn’t that negate the whole “free will I sent my son to absolve you of your sins and now you will all get to heaven” argument?

I don’t understand how all of those points jibe.

If someone would explain it, I would appreciate it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:40:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

So he gave us free will.

Then sent his son to be killed.

But only if we acknowledge that his son is the savior will we get into heaven.

Doesn't that negate the whole "free will I sent my son to absolve you of your sins and now you will all get to heaven" argument?

I don't understand how all of those points jibe.

If someone would explain it, I would appreciate it.
View Quote

Free will doesn't mean there are no consequences. Using your free will to make bad choices doesn't mean you will be shielded from the results of bad choices. Do you believe a person should be able to willingly engage in risky sexual behavior without ever having any negative effects? Poor decisions will always have consequences.

You are certainly free to accept or reject God's free offer of salvation. Accepting comes with one consequence; rejection comes with a different consequence. If you reject God's gracious offer, there is no room to whine about the consequences.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

So tell me, do you believe someone lived 900 years? Do you believe that Noah built a boat and had two of every species on it for months? Do you take it on faith that t-rex has to have lived at the same time as man? If not how do you choose what is true and what isn't? Serious question, I'm really trying to understand.
View Quote

I don't want to get into a big, pointless argument. I am curious, though, what you think about the fresh red blood platelets and fresh soft tissue that were discovered in the hind leg bone of a t-rex? So-called 'scientists',' immediate reaction was, 'Of course red blood cells and soft tissue can survive fresh and intact for 100 million years.' But they never predicted such preservation characteristics prior to the discovery.

How about you? If a 'scientist,' tells you it's no big deal to find red blood cells and fresh soft tissue inside the bone of a t-rex, do you buy unquestioningly that they are100 million years old?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:43:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
There are two major problems with your argument. #1 you assume that lack of problems is somehow desirable and #2 you assume you know the purpose of life.

In my years, I have found that what makes something good is the fact it's the opposite of bad. A vacation is great because it's not that job you may hate. Health is appreciated because it's possible to be unhealthy and have disease. The satisfaction of accomplishment is only possible because you failed many times. How you treat others can in many times correlate with how others treat you. Without bad things happening, the good has little meaning. And so I have grown by embracing the bad and learning from it. It's a positive force, whereas someone who may be lazy views it as a negative. It's all perspective.

And to my second point, who's to say the purpose of life and why we were even created? Why would one assume it's about us at all? Even if we are pawns in some evil scheme, that doesn't detract from the existence of a god. You may be able to say that such a god is not your friend, but that god could still exist.

To conclude, what you feel about a particular situation speaks nothing to the existence of a creator. And what you perceive as problematic may be viewed as something positive or beneficial to someone else. It's all perspective, and Christians are trying to gain that perspective so they aren't viewing things in a negative light but instead are aligning themselves with the larger purpose.
View Quote

I find it interesting that in your first paragraph, you presume to think that I assume to know the purpose of life when I never said I did.  Then, in your final paragraph, you state that christians are aligning themselves with a larger purpose, thereby presuming you know what that purpose is.  Your presumptions are curious.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top