Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2020 8:17:52 PM EDT
Hi Guys,

I've wanted a P-Project guitar for years, after seeing Dominic Miller play it on the Ten Summoners Tales album. It's here:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/EV0rJ6rvWbw?t=178[/youtube]

https://youtu.be/EV0rJ6rvWbw?t=178

These are pretty rare, and there isn't much info about them. You'll see above that he's playing a nylon string.

Mine came with steel strings on it, but I'm nearly certain that mine is the exact same model. The bridge is exactly the same, and I put nylon strings on it to be sure that they'd mount.

Now the nut is a problem.

I could buy a saw, and cut the nut wider, but I'd like to keep in in case I ever want to put steel strings back on it.

This is basically a tele style guitar. Would it make sense that I'd be able to buy a tele style nut, and modify it  to accept the bigger gut strings?

Could someone recommend a good place to find something?

ETA: I can't get the youtube deal to work. Link added.

Link Posted: 6/4/2020 8:32:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Honestly, I'd just bring it to a luthier and have him do it.
That'd probably only charge about $45 I would imagine.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 8:55:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Would it make sense that I'd be able to buy a tele style nut, and modify it  to accept the bigger gut strings?

Could someone recommend a good place to find something?
View Quote

Possibly.  The nut itself is not very expensive, but nut files are a little pricy, when you buy a bunch of different sizes for the various size strings.  You might be able to get away with some basic needle files, if you are careful.  But remember, you not only have to open up the slot for larger diameter strings, you will also need to deepen the slot a little for the same reason.

I would buy a bone nut blank, and make my own, but then, I have the files to do that.  Another possibility, is to pickup one of the pre-slotted TUSQ nuts.  They work well, and are available for different guitar brands. The top/slots will be very close to what you need, but you will have to adjust the height to get the proper action.

Nuts at StewMac

Nut files at StewMac

Nut files at Antique Electronic Supply

Fitting a pre-shaped nut to a guitar
How to fit a preshaped guitar nut
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Honestly, I'd just bring it to a luthier and have him do it.
That'd probably only charge about $45 I would imagine.
View Quote

Thanks. If I fail at this, I will do that. I kind of want to attempt it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 10:31:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Possibly.  The nut itself is not very expensive, but nut files are a little pricy, when you buy a bunch of different sizes for the various size strings.  You might be able to get away with some basic needle files, if you are careful.  But remember, you not only have to open up the slot for larger diameter strings, you will also need to deepen the slot a little for the same reason.

I would buy a bone nut blank, and make my own, but then, I have the files to do that.  Another possibility, is to pickup one of the pre-slotted TUSQ nuts.  They work well, and are available for different guitar brands. The top/slots will be very close to what you need, but you will have to adjust the height to get the proper action.

Nuts at StewMac

Nut files at StewMac

Nut files at Antique Electronic Supply

Fitting a pre-shaped nut to a guitar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BgrIuHI2Xk
View Quote

I can't thank you enough. That was exactly what I needed!

I should have my stuff on Monday.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 11:31:54 AM EDT
[#5]
It's always fun to work on your own stuff.  

The big thing with pre-slotted nuts, is to make sure the dimensions are correct for your neck.  If they are too wide or narrow for the neck, then the string spacing will be wrong.  And of course, the fretboard radius, too.

The cool thing, is that nuts are fairly cheap, so  even if you mess up, you are not out of a lot of money.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 3:24:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Not the situation here, but I've replaced a couple of them on my guitars. I use a pre slotted nut and use welding tip cleaners for a small touch up for the last little bit. The graphtec ones have worked well.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 1:03:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The big thing with pre-slotted nuts, is to make sure the dimensions are correct for your neck.  If they are too wide or narrow for the neck, then the string spacing will be wrong.  And of course, the fretboard radius, too.

The cool thing, is that nuts are fairly cheap, so  even if you mess up, you are not out of a lot of money.
View Quote

Thanks. I did measure it twice to be sure, and it looks like the dims are standard fender.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 1:04:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not the situation here, but I've replaced a couple of them on my guitars. I use a pre slotted nut and use welding tip cleaners for a small touch up for the last little bit. The graphtec ones have worked well.
View Quote

I'm really looking forward to trying to make this work. I ordered a cheap set of files, so hopefully they'll be sufficient.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 4:54:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Something to consider: classical guitars have wide necks to accommodate the spacing for the much thicker nylon strings (1, 2 & 3) so on a fender style neck it might be a bit crowded.
But then I have fat fingers and prefer a neck that is wide.
You've got an interesting project.
Good luck with it, hope you get it to a happy spot.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 1:23:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I've made my own for years. It's actually very easy.

Best thing in the world for it is a cheap $40 belt sander from Harbor Freight. You can shape, sand and contour the nut easily.

Needle files for the slotting.

And, both those things will be useful for far more than just luthier work.

Do eet!
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 7:44:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Something to consider: classical guitars have wide necks to accommodate the spacing for the much thicker nylon strings (1, 2 & 3) so on a fender style neck it might be a bit crowded.
But then I have fat fingers and prefer a neck that is wide.
You've got an interesting project.
Good luck with it, hope you get it to a happy spot.
View Quote

If it weren't for the fact that Domonic Miller has one, I wouldn't even consider it :)

I got the nut in, and filed it pretty close. I need to do a little shaping, and then glue the nut, but it's pretty close, and fast to play.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 7:45:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've made my own for years. It's actually very easy.

Best thing in the world for it is a cheap $40 belt sander from Harbor Freight. You can shape, sand and contour the nut easily.

Needle files for the slotting.

And, both those things will be useful for far more than just luthier work.

Do eet!
View Quote

Thanks. That belt sander idea is perfect. I did buy files.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top