Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2021 9:18:04 AM EDT
I started swimming again and watching my diet but now I am thinking of trying to move a little weight. I have some older cast iron dumbbells but would like to try Kettlebells.  Can someone point me in the right direction as for a brand to buy and maybe some good youtube videos to check out.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 9:47:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I started swimming again and watching my diet but now I am thinking of trying to move a little weight. I have some older cast iron dumbbells but would like to try Kettlebells.  Can someone point me in the right direction as for a brand to buy and maybe some good youtube videos to check out.  

Thanks
View Quote
Brand?
Pffft !
get one that is an unbranded basic hunk of iron.

A good primer on moves is from Pavel Tsatsouline -after that, you can explore more of the newer techniques.  
Please stay away from "toning" videos from THOTs and guys swinging rubberized 10lb bells.

Here is my punisher...
Attachment Attached File

Enter the Kettlebell - Pavel Tsatsouline

Link Posted: 5/4/2021 9:54:50 AM EDT
[#2]
FPNI

It's an awkward chunk of metal, it's not supposed to be nice & Pavel is kettlebell Prophet to the west.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 9:56:46 AM EDT
[#3]
If you're ok with giving Jeff Bezos more money, AmazonBasics brand are gtg and about $1.5 per pound.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 9:57:19 AM EDT
[#4]
FPNI, they're literally a hunk of cast iron, brand doesn't matter.  

They are slowly coming back in stock, though I have had a 100 lb'er on order for a few months from my local fitness store and it hasn't arrived yet.  

Use this app:

https://fitifyapps.com/
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#5]
You can buy or make a T handle to get you started with swings, load it with plates.

They also make loadable kettlebells with a round handle. You can't do everything with them, but swings are like 75% of what KB workouts of based off of anyway.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 7:52:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FPNI

It's an awkward chunk of metal, it's not supposed to be nice & Pavel is kettlebell Prophet to the west.
View Quote

The Pavel followers on his forum as almost as bad as the Rippetoe zealots.

I think the guy is cool and all, but they seem to think he is the god of functional fitness or something.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 7:56:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Just do Turkish Get Ups with one.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 8:25:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I think the guy is cool and all, but they seem to think he is the god of functional fitness or something.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FPNI

Okay chief.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 8:28:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Okay chief.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
FPNI

Okay chief.

Go poke around over there, apparently kettlebells are the cure no matter the fitness related problem.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 9:29:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Go poke around over there, apparently kettlebells are the cure no matter the fitness related problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
FPNI

Okay chief.

Ah, so it wasn’t directed at me.

Because I bought his book in ~08 loved it & that’s the first time I’ve ever mentioned him here AFAIK so claiming I think he’s workout Jesus seemed laughably far fetched.

But you’re correct people are really obsessed with him for whatever reason. I think his ideas are certainly worth reviewing & possibly integrating if they fit into your fitness goals. His interview on JRE was definitely worth a listen if you haven’t.

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 1:42:09 AM EDT
[#11]
thank you all
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 7:28:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Because I bought his book in ~08 loved it & that’s the first time I’ve ever mentioned him here AFAIK so claiming I think he’s workout Jesus seemed laughably far fetched.

But you’re correct people are really obsessed with him for whatever reason. I think his ideas are certainly worth reviewing & possibly integrating if they fit into your fitness goals. His interview on JRE was definitely worth a listen if you haven’t.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
FPNI

Okay chief.

Like I said, I think he's an interesting guy, and he's obviously intelligent, but he's another one of those guys that comes off like he knows all the answers.

Kettlebells are a hell of a conditioning tool, but they aren't a magic bullet. Even at his peak he didn't really have the body that many people aspire to have.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Go be poor somewhere else. Kettlebells should make a statement.

Just kidding - FPNI.

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:15:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Not sure of your goals but I personally have never cared for Pavel.

One of the best channels on YT for KBs in my opinion:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pk3oLhLJvtk

If I’m moving weights I want them to be heavy and I want to get stronger. A vast majority of so called “functional exercises” are crap.

ETA: as other posters have said, don’t worry about brands, they’re just heavy pieces of iron with a handle. They’re hard to come by now, especially anything over 60 lbs.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:54:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Here’s Jeff Martone, a guy I used to work out with years ago. He has quite a few videos available.

The Turkish Get-up with Jeff Martone
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:24:53 AM EDT
[#16]
The Rogue USA made E- Coat ones are crap!

I had 3 of the 6 replaced due to horrible flashing on the handles.

I really like the Ironmaster adjustable KB's.  The handles are completely smooth and perfectly proportioned.  The only downside is that the lowest weight is 22.5lbs.

That's why I got the sets of 9lb, 13lb, and 18lb Rogues KB's.  I then got a set of 5lbs KB's from Scheel's for my wife which cost 1/4 the price of the Rogue 9lb KB's and have a much better fit and finish.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 6:31:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Keep an eye on Walmart.com  They usually have Weider or CAP standard (not epoxy coated) kettlebells for less than $1.50/lb shipped to your local store. You might even be able to pick some up for closer to $1/lb shipped if you check on a regular basis.

You may have to take a bit of sandpaper to the inside of the handle to smooth it out, but that's no big deal. Avoid the epoxy coated ones as the finish cracks if you drop them, and chunks will fall off.

Personally, I like the Lynx Barbell KBs. Fir/finish is great and they're local, so i can order online and pick up on person.

https://www.lynxbarbell.com/products/kettlebells?variant=12352538542163
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 5:45:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Tampax

Seriously though, like everybody said, it doesn't matter at all. Also seriously, just get dumbbells. Way more versatile and useful.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 6:44:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Get a 16kg and 24kg powder coated kettlebell set together at the same time and bundle the shipping or get it from a vendor that includes shipping like fringe. I got my set from kettlebell kings, a couple years ago they had some great deals and their product is solid, but it looks like they’ve jacked their prices up considerably.

Link Posted: 5/20/2021 3:51:22 PM EDT
[#20]
As stated, any brand will do. Be advised that some brands have thinner or fatter handles as well as narrower or wider openings.

Bonus: KBs are easy to pack to the range.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Try to find single-cast.  There are some that are welded together, or contain locking mechanisms (adjustable weight kind).  A good single cast will do, two are better.  Make sure you have clearance around the handle - you’ll need it.  Some are kind of narrow.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 8:23:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
As stated, any brand will do. Be advised that some brands have thinner or fatter handles as well as narrower or wider openings.

Bonus: KBs are easy to pack to the range.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/55995/4C94FB06-3AA7-42BC-8EE8-E290DAB53629_jpe-1949392.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/55995/711E4D20-6ED0-45E7-A935-AF21A43AAD09_jpe-1949395.JPG
View Quote

That's a great idea!  

I saw one drill, it was an IPSC at 50 yards and two shooting points about 15 yards apart.  Throw the kettlebell from shooting point to shooting point, shooting prone at each point, for 2 minutes.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 2:08:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Stick with traditional kettlebells if you want to build grip strength better. Competition kettle bells are thinner handled which is nice if you have small hands. They also handle differently because the weight is more centered near the handle. Traditional kettlebells have a center of gravity that varies based off of weight. That also means they’re less balanced which is awesome for working the muscles harder. Traditional kettlebells can also be used more comfortably with two hand holds like a goblet squat or upside down goblet squat hold. The angle of the handles on the vertical part of a traditional kettlebell gives it more room for two hands.

Gravity cast are great. Avoid vinyl or rubber although they will work fine. Plastic coated or vinyl will be less durable.

The most resourceful and cheap kettlebells I’ve ever seen are thick cloth canvas sand bags that look like a grocery bag sand bag. That’s just as effective for about any KB exercise.

Do some Turkish getups light to assess your body’s weaknesses. Then strengthen and go heavier.

Remember that kettlebells are meant originally to be one handed tools. The two handed stuff is nice for versatility but you should go heavily move toward one handed stuff to get the real benefits of the conditioning. Kettlebells are phenomenal for metabolic conditioning. Your muscles won’t pop out like with the barbell but damn if you won’t be strong and nimble. The biggest advantages to the kettle bell is grip strength, wrist and forearm strength, core strength, balance, mobility.

Swings, turkish getups, halos, hang cleans with overhead presses are some great exercises.

You can train soft style or hard style. Soft style isn’t as explosive whereas hard style is. Explosiveness is good for jumps, martial arts, punches, kicks.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#24]
REP is having a memorial day sale. Some kettlebells are close to $1/lb.

Shipping will cost, but still shouldn't be too bad.

Lb KBs

Kg KBs
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 7:27:43 PM EDT
[#25]
https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/the-10000-swing-kettlebell-workout/

Challenge yourself with four weeks of intensive kettlebell swinging to test your grit and improve body composition.
Every lifter who was tested after this challenge increased lean muscle mass and conditioning.
After four weeks, you will have done 10,000 kettlebell swings dispersed throughout 20 workouts. You'll do 500 swings per workout.
Between sets of kettlebell swings, do one of the following: chin-ups, goblet squats, dips, or overhead presses.
Master your kettlebell swing form. It's not a squat. It's a hip hinge and a hip snap. Your arms should not travel above your shoulders.
The swing is a hip hinge. Basically the position you take in a standing long jump. Look for maximum hip bend and minimal knee bend. It is not a squat.

Begin in the "Silverback gorilla" position. Slide the kettlebell back a bit, and vigorously "hike" the bell at your zipper. Hinge deeply and let the forearms slide through the thighs. Then, snap up to a vertical plank position.
There is no start or finish to a correct swing. The vertical plank is a moment to grab the 'bell and toss it back to the zipper. The hinge causes a rebound and we pop back to the plank.
Insure the following: glutes clenched, lats connected to the shoulders, arms snapped directly in front of the body. Do not let the kettlebell float much higher  grab it and toss it back to your zipper. The kettlebell should not be brought overhead.
The swing should be aggressive, explosive, and attacked with a high tempo.

Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:02:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/the-10000-swing-kettlebell-workout/

Challenge yourself with four weeks of intensive kettlebell swinging to test your grit and improve body composition.
Every lifter who was tested after this challenge increased lean muscle mass and conditioning.
After four weeks, you will have done 10,000 kettlebell swings dispersed throughout 20 workouts. You'll do 500 swings per workout.
Between sets of kettlebell swings, do one of the following: chin-ups, goblet squats, dips, or overhead presses.
Master your kettlebell swing form. It's not a squat. It's a hip hinge and a hip snap. Your arms should not travel above your shoulders.
The swing is a hip hinge. Basically the position you take in a standing long jump. Look for maximum hip bend and minimal knee bend. It is not a squat.

Begin in the "Silverback gorilla" position. Slide the kettlebell back a bit, and vigorously "hike" the bell at your zipper. Hinge deeply and let the forearms slide through the thighs. Then, snap up to a vertical plank position.
There is no start or finish to a correct swing. The vertical plank is a moment to grab the 'bell and toss it back to the zipper. The hinge causes a rebound and we pop back to the plank.
Insure the following: glutes clenched, lats connected to the shoulders, arms snapped directly in front of the body. Do not let the kettlebell float much higher  grab it and toss it back to your zipper. The kettlebell should not be brought overhead.
The swing should be aggressive, explosive, and attacked with a high tempo.

View Quote

Let me say, if you do the 10000 kb challenge, it is mind numbingly boring. I’ve done it twice.
But, you’ll likely be in top condition when you’re done.

Gratuitous kb picture.Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/29/2021 6:08:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Props to you guys who can do Turkish Get Ups.  I can't remember the next move half the time.  I would need a coach, or a step by step audible set on loop.

The 10,000 swing is rough.  Don't do it in a garage in the summer.  Ask me how I know.    
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 6:23:42 AM EDT
[#28]
I just have the plain CAP ones from Academy. I can't imagine anything being appreciably better.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top