Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/29/2020 6:17:51 PM EDT
We usually have the normal bums and lowlifes begging on corners, but today I saw a new low. There was a guy on the corner with two little kids, probably 5-6 yrs old, and the kids were sitting on a 5 gal. gas can and he had a sign about needing gas to get home. I call bullshit, as most likely he was a pro or semi-pro panhandler. Who happens to carry all the items to make a large sign and a 5 gal. gas can with them. I was tempted to offer to put $5 of gas in his can just to see if he would accept. Using the kids to beg really pissed me off. I once saw a guy pull up to a store in a nice truck, park in the back, and then get out his sign, bucket, old coat and go sit out front to beg.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I think I'd have called children services.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 6:48:00 PM EDT
[#2]
The Phoenix area is lousy with them ......
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 6:49:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Kids are the new dogs!
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We usually have the normal bums and lowlifes begging on corners, but today I saw a new low. There was a guy on the corner with two little kids, probably 5-6 yrs old, and the kids were sitting on a 5 gal. gas can and he had a sign about needing gas to get home. I call bullshit, as most likely he was a pro or semi-pro panhandler. Who happens to carry all the items to make a large sign and a 5 gal. gas can with them. I was tempted to offer to put $5 of gas in his can just to see if he would accept. Using the kids to beg really pissed me off. I once saw a guy pull up to a store in a nice truck, park in the back, and then get out his sign, bucket, old coat and go sit out front to beg.
View Quote

Nothing new.

Saw similar stuff back in the 90s when I was in Seattle for a few weeks.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 6:56:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Have seen it a few times,not common but not a new thing
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 6:56:35 PM EDT
[#6]
When I was training to drive T.T., there was a parking lot near an intersection where that used for practice. This woman pulled in, parked near the entrance, and got out of her Beamer. She was dressed to the nines. She got in the back seat and put a bunch of cardboard over the rear windows. When she got out she was dressed in rags and carrying a sign. She proceeded over to the center of the intersection and started begging. After about 15 minutes she reversed the process and left.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 6:58:14 PM EDT
[#7]
He should find someone to take good care of the kids then off himself.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 7:02:14 PM EDT
[#8]
For me it's the homeless dogs.  Pisses me off that dog has to sit in the median when it's 100 damn degrees
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#9]
It's a lifestyle choice plain and simple.

Link Posted: 12/29/2020 7:05:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Those are beggin’ midgets, been using them since the dark ages.

It is either that or extras in Willow so they made the right choice.

ETA
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/29/2020 7:06:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For me it's the homeless dogs.  Pisses me off that dog has to sit in the median when it's 100 damn degrees
View Quote

Yup. I hate that.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 7:08:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think I'd have called children services.
View Quote

FPNI

If they actually need help, they will get it.

Link Posted: 12/29/2020 7:12:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Should've called child protective services for endangering his children at a busy intersection and the EPA for using a likely non-CARB compliant gas can.  Maybe even call the U.S. Dept of Labor and report a FLSA violation since he is utilizing child labor in his business.

Invite the man into his life FOR him.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 7:38:51 PM EDT
[#14]
A few years ago I was banging this hottie and while driving we saw a bum on the corner holding the usual sign along with a small dog. Hottie told me she didn't give a shit about the bum but made me go get a can of dog food for his dog.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 8:02:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Keep making up Split second narratives that allow you to ridicule and dismiss easily, with smug confidence as you drive by.
That way, when you see a man out there with his kid's on the street in winter, you never need to pull over and ask that man about his problems or needs.
I am not virtue signaling, nor a white knight trying to save everyone i see on the street. I do what I can, when I can.
Btw: Ive worked with the homeless for 10 years, shelters, street programs, Christian outreach ect... I have never seen the mysterious Mercedes benze owner get out and start begging. But by all means, keep propagating this tag line so you never need to lift a finger for a stranger.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 8:05:54 PM EDT
[#16]
If you think that’s bad, the Indians chop limbs off of kids to get more sympathy and money
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 8:28:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Keep making up Split second narratives that allow you to ridicule and dismiss easily, with smug confidence as you drive by.
That way, when you see a man out there with his kid's on the street in winter, you never need to pull over and ask that man about his problems or needs.
I am not virtue signaling, nor a white knight trying to save everyone i see on the street. I do what I can, when I can.
Btw: Ive worked with the homeless for 10 years, shelters, street programs, Christian outreach ect... I have never seen the mysterious Mercedes benze owner get out and start begging. But by all means, keep propagating this tag line so you never need to lift a finger for a stranger.
View Quote
No offence meant man but you've been doing that for 10yrs and you've never seen the Roma (Gypsy) crews that work that way?  We've got a bunch of them here in Oregon.  They work in crews, usually two women, a baby or small child (Or two) and the guy running them (Parked in the Sedan or SUV out in the parking lot).  You see them at malls asking "food for baby, help for baby" as you walk out.  They'll work one store for awhile and then dude will call them back to the vehicle and they'll head to the next place.  Around here we have the same crews that work Dallas to Corvallis to Salem.  There was a news story on them a few years ago that even showed where, if one woman in the enclave (They travel around in packs) had a baby that she could RENT the baby out to the other women in the group for a cut of the take at the end of the day.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#18]
In Atlanta, beggars have used kids as props for years.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 8:45:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

should have pushed the issue with the car out gas bs...

I would have asked where the car was...?? I will put $30 of gas in it, just point out to me and you and the kids will be on your way...
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
No offence meant man but you've been doing that for 10yrs and you've never seen the Roma (Gypsy) crews that work that way?  We've got a bunch of them here in Oregon.  They work in crews, usually two women, a baby or small child (Or two) and the guy running them (Parked in the Sedan or SUV out in the parking lot).  You see them at malls asking "food for baby, help for baby" as you walk out.  They'll work one store for awhile and then dude will call them back to the vehicle and they'll head to the next place.  Around here we have the same crews that work Dallas to Corvallis to Salem.  There was a news story on them a few years ago that even showed where, if one woman in the enclave (They travel around in packs) had a baby that she could RENT the baby out to the other women in the group for a cut of the take at the end of the day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Renting babies... what will be next
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 8:48:32 PM EDT
[#21]
See that every day up here (kids sitting next to parents begging for money).  ZFG.  If I still had a soul I might care, but I do not so I do not.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 8:52:01 PM EDT
[#22]
It was 52 degrees here today and the kids had on coats. And yes, I did once see a guy get out of a nice truck and go sit on the corner to beg. There are panhandlers here that do it for a living or to supplement their SS.  I have also offered to buy a meal for people, and/or offered them day work and they turned it down. The majority of the low life beggers want the cash so they can buy drugs or booze.

The last time I helped someone was when I knew of a kid who was homeless and about 350 lbs. It was 100+ degrees out and he would be sleeping on the bench outside of my office every morning and he was wearing the same clothes for two weeks. I gave him a backpack and filled it with some new XXX t-shirts, shorts, underwear, wet wipes, toothbrush, deodorant, water, snack bars, and about $150 worth of like stuff. He was really appreciative when I gave it to him and he is now living in an assisted shelter room. I will give people stuff, but I won't give them money.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 8:52:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Who happens to carry all the items to make a large sign.
View Quote

You're telling me that you don't travel with cardboard, a sharpie, puffy paint, pinking shears, regular scissors, two rolls of ribbon, three thumb tacks, and a small dowel rod (signs need a handle)? Talk about being unprepared.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 8:53:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Probably would have taken $30 for the kids if you were that worried.

Some people will never be right no matter what you do.

I’ve also rarely seen legit homeless do the intersection thing. Walk around and panhandle sure, but not intersections.
It’s a grift either way.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 8:53:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lololol-

Beggar=/= homeless.

The middle class beggars absolutely exist.  Somebody did SME actual investigative reporting around here and found a number of people who made a pretty decent living by begging part time.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#26]
That’s really low! Their all pros around here and in my immediate area it’s a relatively newer thing. Using kids to a nothing new for humans but still horrible.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 8:57:58 PM EDT
[#27]
The best was when a panhandler walked up the off ramp past the couple who were by the stop sign.  There was a confrontation but I didn't get to see if it came to blows or was just verbal.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 8:58:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Personally, I don’t need a "tag line" to convince me to not lift a finger to help a fucking bum.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 8:58:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It was 52 degrees here today and the kids had on coats. And yes, I did once see a guy get out of a nice truck and go sit on the corner to beg. There are panhandlers here that do it for a living or to supplement their SS.  I have also offered to buy a meal for people, and/or offered them day work and they turned it down. The majority of the low life beggers want the cash so they can buy drugs or booze.

The last time I helped someone was when I knew of a kid who was homeless and about 350 lbs. It was 100+ degrees out and he would be sleeping on the bench outside of my office every morning and he was wearing the same clothes for two weeks. I gave him a backpack and filled it with some new XXX t-shirts, shorts, underwear, wet wipes, toothbrush, deodorant, water, snack bars, and about $150 worth of like stuff. He was really appreciative when I gave it to him and he is now living in an assisted shelter room. I will give people stuff, but I won't give them money.
View Quote

I'm making stickers for my truck drivers window. "Stop! Do not approach driver" its getting so bad here, especially on the 17 corridor.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If you think that’s bad, the Indians chop limbs off of kids to get more sympathy and money
View Quote
j

My dad in WW2 was stationed on n India, the "mother"
Held a sore infested baby. Dad was told not to give money as the mother would use the baby until it died and go buy another. That was one of the nicer things he said about his tour.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:01:01 PM EDT
[#31]
They are "allowed" to be there, in Ohio, but if a city gets ONE call about them being aggressive or intimidating, the cops will come and shoo them along.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:01:28 PM EDT
[#32]
You haven’t seen shit until you’ve been to a real shithole like Bangladesh or India. People intentionally maimed and disfigured to appear more pathetic, children and adults alike. It’s a real carnival sideshow of horror.

We’re working our way towards it with lax attention to vagrancy laws.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:03:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Caught on camera: Pregnant beggar with boy drives off in a Mercedes-Benz
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:05:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Happens in every state. They are organized and make a decent wage doing it.
10 yrs and you have not seen this or heard stories about it from people you help?
Hard to believe it's fake when I see different news stories on it and see it myself in real life.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

No offence taken bro. I appreciate your feedback.
Yes, I have had one instance, outside of a safeway( supermarket), where I had observed a woman work in cycles with her teenage children to get people to go into the store and buy them groceries. I imagine they were truly after money. I suppose she could of returned to a nice vehicle, so therefore my absolute assertion in this thread is faulty and I appreciate the reminder.
I have no love of scammers, they are thieves that stop good people from doing good things for those in desperate need.
I should have used better language in my call out response.

It's just so easy today to not lift a finger for the homeless on the street, thinking that they are all scammers, drug addicts or people that could be in a program if they wanted. It has been my experience that mixed in with the above, there are tons of combat vets that need fellow Americans to take a few minutes out and get a guy some coffee and a sandwich then sit for a few minutes and ask simply, brother can I help you. When I see kids out there with the parents, my heart feels of those kids. Some need to be separated from drug addicted parents.
I dont have an answer bro, I just know that we are to guard against a hard heart and to treat the poor and destitute with love and compassion that we would wish someone would do for us if we were ever on the street.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Panhandlers just piss me off period. I will not give them any money regardless of how "bad" their life is.
Over the years I have offered to get them food probably 100+  times.
I have yet to have any of them accept my offer.
As a note
I have been in the md,va and dc area almost all my life there are plenty here.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:16:14 PM EDT
[#38]
It is an industry

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:28:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It's a lifestyle choice plain and simple.

View Quote

You might say it is a form of mental illness.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:29:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Only On 2: Panhandlers Caught Driving Rental Car, Traveling Around Town To Solicit Cash

Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:34:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You haven’t seen shit until you’ve been to a real shithole like Bangladesh or India. People intentionally maimed and disfigured to appear more pathetic, children and adults alike. It’s a real carnival sideshow of horror.

We’re working our way towards it with lax attention to vagrancy laws.
View Quote

Preach.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:36:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Years ago I worked in Manhattan and every night at lunch break there was a panhandler that when done for the day would get in to his Mercedes and drive home.
Black dude, shucking and jiving everyone as they walked by. People would give him cash all night long. It wasn't a brand new Mercedes, but it was nicer than what I was driving.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:39:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Just today I saw a guy near a Home Depot intersection begging for money to get gas. Same guy and car I saw yesterday... and the day before... and the day before...

Funny how his car is always one parking spot different but still on the corner with hood up.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:42:28 PM EDT
[#44]
As a PSA, there are no low bars when it comes to people.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:44:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Been to Italy a few times. See the bent over old grandmothers begging.
Always a few scattered around the city. I think a van must drop them off and pick them up when their shift is over.
Government put up signs in the train stations warning not to give as others near by would pounce.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:44:43 PM EDT
[#46]

Pretty sure those are gypsies. We've had a lot of them in San Diego recently.

An news report showed them getting into a Mercedes. When interviewed they maintained they were from Italy where there was no work.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:44:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Many of them here wear camo and have signs like "homeless vet", those really piss me off too. A few of them probably are vets, but I just know damn well the majority of them are stealing valor and faking it. I have overheard them tell stories like how their benefits ran out, or their paperwork was lost, and the DVA will not help them. A lot of homeless people have dogs because people will feel sorry for the dog and give them shit. The police chief in our smaller town tells people to not give them money as he knows their scam or that most of it is used to purchase drugs.

Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
People who refuse to pay for their own gas. But yeah I've seen a few "broke down out of gas trying to get home" vans at the Walmart. At least they looked legit to me and could have gotten the box out of the dumpster and talked a marker off someone. I wasn't lead to give them anything so I didn't.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:47:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Saw father and three kids last week in Austin on a corner. He had a sign I didn't bother reading. His kids were all messing with their cell phones.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:50:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your version of reality is as blind to truth as those you accuse...and I don't dismiss with smug confidence: I do it with loathing flavored with a bit of anger.

Lancaster, CA, last year: Wife and I watched a woman in shit clothes get out of a brand new minivan with paper tags and go straight to an intersection and unfold her sign.

We don't even stop in Four Corners by Victorville for gas anymore, as the attack of the "Please help/need gas!" beggars are thick as flies.

6' 5" bastards in muscle shirts, hankie-head, Oaklelys and arms bigger than my legs has to "beg".  Fuck all that.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top