BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/24/2021 1:53:06 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:05:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I remember the world's greatest athlete was a man named Bruce. Those times and country are long gone.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:10:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:11:08 AM EDT
[#3]
We had a big family reunion and fish fry on the 4th in ‘76. Over 100 people there, all relatives. And it was one of those hot days in the south without a breath of wind, so hot and humid you would stand in the shade and drip sweat. Still had a great time.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:13:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I remember the world's greatest athlete was a man named Bruce. Those times and country are long gone.
View Quote

Wrong.  We had heroes like Jack Lambert in 76.  An undersized but overachieving middle linebacker.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:15:14 AM EDT
[#5]

I remember
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:16:12 AM EDT
[#6]
You saw Dazed and Confused that was on TV tonight too?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:16:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Some of my best memories...
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:17:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:18:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You saw Dazed and Confused that was on TV tonight too?
View Quote

That’s actually pretty accurate.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:19:06 AM EDT
[#10]
1976. It was a very happy time for me.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:21:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I only experienced a couple months of 76. I dont remember any of it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:21:38 AM EDT
[#12]
I wish I could have been around in the 70's and early 80's, or at least old enough to know what was going on.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:21:57 AM EDT
[#13]
The Prado Dam Bicentennial Mural in Southern California was painted by a bunch of high school students.  When I was a kid we used to drive past it on the 91 freeway on the way to Disneyland.  It is still there today, although it isn’t in quite as good shape.

I read that at one point California tried to remove it because it was painted with lead based paint.

I have also seen two other times when the nation seemed united in patriotism; after Desert Storm when the troops returned home and post 9-11.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:23:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I was 5. But the celebration was everywhere. Remember going to all kinds of parades in a small town. Went and saw the freedom train, went to see a tall ship that had sailed up the MS river and was on display. Everyday TV shows started off with a bit of history about 1776. Big difference in today.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:24:12 AM EDT
[#15]
We had a giant 4th of July picnic our combined neighborhood associations of like 6 different neighborhoods sponsored it and it was huge. Tables and tables of food and dozens of coolers of drinks everybody brought something. Fireworks display and sparklers for all the kids, bands, games, speeches. It was incredible, never really seen that fellowship again my whole life.

Our schools had red, white and blue decorations everywhere and “Spirit of ‘76” was on everything.

Saw the Tall Ships and toured the USS Constellation  visited the Capitol, White House, Treasury and FBI buildings. Went to the Smithsonian, the National Zoo and the brand new National Air and Space Museum building all in one year.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:24:13 AM EDT
[#16]

my sports hero at the time

a real American Badass..
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:24:41 AM EDT
[#17]
My dad took me to NY to see the tall sailing ships assembled for the occasion. It was unforgettable.  My dad died the next year. What a long way we've sunk.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:24:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Great times. I was senior in high school. Me and my brother spent July in DC, our grandparents lived a couple of blocks from the Capital, we walked around DC, even at night on the mall, no worries, no hassles.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:26:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I graduated HS in 1976, so even my diploma was bicentennial-themed.

Good times  
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:26:16 AM EDT
[#20]
I remember odd stuff, but I remember 1976.  And I was four years old!

I remember the local library and radio station had a raffle ticket fund raiser set up to supply the library with authentic and reproduction literature on the founding of the country (I just now looked it back up, wow, memories).  They gave you a pin button to wear for each raffle ticket you bought, and the kids and adults were all adorned with them throughout the town.  There were also the Roosevelt-style foam red, white and blue foam hats that were given out.

I miss nationalism.  Nationalism is country pride and should be reveled but in this day and age it's frowned upon.  I'm still a stark nationalist, because I love America no matter what.  We need to be great again dammit!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:26:42 AM EDT
[#21]
It was a good time to be alive. Life seemed a lot simpler back then as well.  

I remember the winter Olympics- Dorothy Hamill ? all the girls copied her hair style.

Bruce Jenner from the summer Olympics. He literally was presented as the all American boy.

Rocky came out in 1976 and the Big Fed Machine was on its way to a second straight World Series win ????
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:27:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I wish I could have been around in the 70's and early 80's, or at least old enough to know what was going on.
View Quote

It was a pretty good time to grow up in.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:30:31 AM EDT
[#23]

Wonder how many here don't know who the Snake was????
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:31:02 AM EDT
[#24]

The Snake!  He bought a cigarette boat in California and quit paying on it.  They were looking everywhere for it and it was in a condo parking lot in Romar Beach.  I’ll bet I’ve heard three dozen people who went to his parties and every one of them mentioned they saw the largest amount of cocaine they’d ever seen in their lives.  His sister in law, when he was married to Rose, is a member of our parish.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:36:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:46:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Any of y’all go see the Freedom Train?  

"ALL ABOARD AMERICA" 1976 U.S. BICENTENNIAL FREEDOM TRAIN PROMOTIONAL FILM 54694
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:52:37 AM EDT
[#27]
It was a great year. We were a great People in a great Country.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:04:34 AM EDT
[#28]
<--------
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:06:26 AM EDT
[#29]
In my hometown in Nebraska of 110 people we had a bicentennial parade.  I was in grade school.  I rode my red white and blue bicycle dressed as uncle sam.  My sister was dressed like Betsey Ross.
The tavern had a beer garden and bbq, i bet there was 1000 people there that day
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:23:33 AM EDT
[#30]
All the fire hydrants were painted in red, white and blue. Lot of parades. Lots of singing of patriotic songs in schools. Lots of plays celebrating through the whole year. I was six and that is what I remember.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:43:13 AM EDT
[#31]
1976..ya, I miss that time, most of my family was still living. Money was tight, but we got by, hunting, fishing, garden, gleaning taters an onions from harvested fields. No internet, cable, sat tv, social media. We kids roamed the earth by foot, horse an bike at will, exploring the hills, mountains. It was an incredible time to be a kid.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:50:37 AM EDT
[#32]
The Flyers beat the Reds fair and square
While up the coast some fled the devil's lair
An heiress was into her irons thrown
While the family feuds exploded in our homes
Moon collapsed in the garden
Vikings looted the plains
Spirit of '76
We were such a tender age
The Mohican swore he would get organised
To clean the war forever from his mind
A farmer came with peanuts in his hand
Then wept a bit while waltzing to the band
Spirit of '76
Spirit of '76
Spirit of '76
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:03:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Everything being painted up doesn’t seem like an exaggeration.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:04:56 AM EDT
[#34]
I could upload and post a pic of me dressed as uncle Sam in a tap dance review at age 5. But I won't 45 years ago and I was the only guy in the class. Oddly enough 45 years later live with one of the girls that was there with me and over the years dated a number of them lol.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:20:35 AM EDT
[#35]
I was in the Boy Scouts of America.  Not any gender confused cornucopia that it has sunk to. My scoutmaster then was a Green Beret that was tough and taught us a lot and to have respect for our country and military.  He arranged for us to go on a great hike for a week in the nation's capital. We saw many sites and toured the Capital and White House. We saw and learned many things. I only wish I had taken more pictures and kept them. We earned a Bicentennial Trail medal. The music of 75 and 76 is epic. So much happened in 76 changed my life forever. I bought a belt and buckle on that trip and it's in my closet right now. Great year.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:38:25 AM EDT
[#36]
I was 10.  Greatest summer ever. The whole year kicked ass.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:41:40 AM EDT
[#37]
I wonder if we even make it to 2076?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:44:44 AM EDT
[#38]
I wasn’t old enough to remember 1976, but I do remember the fire hydrants were painted red white and blue and remained for years after that. My dad pointed one out when driving around years later.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:51:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:51:13 AM EDT
[#40]
My mom was a senior in 1976. I wasn't but a twinkle in her eye.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:00:27 AM EDT
[#41]
I was ten years old that summer.  Like a previous poster, I think my father took me to see the Tall Ships in Philadelphia .

The local department store (Hess's) had an animated 1776 display that impressed my ten year old self.  

I was ten and really not aware of anything politically but it really was a different time in America for sure.  Patriotism was strong, people were happy to be Americans and not filled with some of the self loathing I see amongst many these days.  Not sure how we got so far off the tracks since than but I am grateful to have been a child of the 70s and 80s.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:06:28 AM EDT
[#42]
I was 10.

At that time we lived in CT when it was not a commie shit hole. What a time to have lived.

I was in cub scouts, we marched in parades, were proud to call our selves blue coats. I bought a cap firing flint lock style musket and pistol that spring.  Most of my buddies had them as well, we re lived many a battles back then.

Of course had to collect the bi centeniall quarter

A lot of pride in America back then, lots of things were different and for the better.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:29:09 AM EDT
[#43]
It was a great summer. I had been living with my dad in California but at the end of June flew to Detroit to be with my mother and stepfather and my siblings.

I was amazed that all the cars had these:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:40:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Our High School Marching Band was invited to march in the Bicentennial Parade in Washington DC on the 4th of July representing California.
The band director had spent 4 years creating a show for that parade.
We had British revolutionary themed uniforms, we had music that was British themed.
The show was set in 4 movements, The Colonies, The Crown, The Revolutionary War, Birth Of America.
The director had wanted the band to change out of the Brit uniforms into American uniforms during the 4th movement, that would have cost too much and it would have been impractical during a parade march.  
We had a field show and a parade show.

The following year we had a new band director and he scrapped the entire show - we had a disco themed show in part based on Star Wars.  .
That's when I quit the band.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:43:14 AM EDT
[#45]
APNI (All Posts Nailed It)!  

Everything, everywhere was R,W, & B.  People loved this country and were proud to show it.  Kids had unbridled freedom to explore, and that included setting off firecrackers and bottlerockets.  Women were hot.  Music was awesome.  Independence Day was like a rock concert.

I imagine U.S.A.'s 2076 will be treated similar to VA's 2007 celebration (a time for atonement).  
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:45:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Thanks for this post.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:47:41 AM EDT
[#47]
I lived in NJ at the time, and my father took me to the big reenactments of the important battles of ‘76/‘77.

Battle of Trenton on 26 Dec., when Washington routed the Hessians after crossing the Delaware, and the Battle of Princeton in early Jan.

It was freezing cold that month with lots of snow. I remember thinking that it must have really sucked to be a ragged-ass Continental soldier.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:49:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Sadly, I bet today that sense of enthusiasm, as unifying and positive as it was, would be labeled as some awful.
View Quote

Look at how they buried observances of the 150th anniversary of the civil war a few years ago, compared to the centennial observances of that conflict
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:52:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Any of y'all go see the Freedom Train?  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ0A6p_-waM
View Quote

We got to see the Freedom Train when it came to our neck of the woods.

my sister and I dressed up in colonial outfits and rode on a smaller version of a wagon. The newspaper photo of us hung above my grandparents couch for many years.

good time and good memories
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:14:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Rockford Illinois Speedway was the place to be on July 4th!
edit
Attachment Attached File

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top