Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2020 12:01:57 PM EDT
Installing Win10 Pro/64 on a new computer build.  The installation failed partway through the software load with the Microsoft (non-informational) error message:

"The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed."

So it's a hardware error, a software error (I've seen a bad install media before,) or a driver issue (highly doubtful, since it's a brand new install.)

Reboot from DVD, delete the partitions, try again.

I started by suspecting RAM.  I pulled 4 of the 8 sticks out, reset the BIOS to boot from the DVD, and tried again.  Nope.
I started testing the RAM one stick at a time.  Same error on the first three sticks.  OK, chances of bad RAM are now next to zero.
I pulled the M.2 SSD out, connected power and SATA cables, and added a blank 2.5" SSD.  Same error.  Not the SSD drive.

For grins I changed the SATA mode to RAID from the default AHCI.  The installer completed all the way to the reset.  AHA! (I thought...) Nope.
This time I got a BSOD.  At least I got a BUGCODE NDIS DRIVERS.  There was also a QR code on the screen.  Maybe Microsoft will be able to tell me what the problem is!  Nope.
The QR code takes me to a Microsoft web page that basically says: "A BSOD means that you have a hardware or software issue."  Thanks a lot.  Very helpful.

What am I left with?  Could be the graphics card. Could be the CPU (highly doubtful.) Could be the motherboard (please God don't let it be the motherboard.)

I decided to google the BUGCODE.  One of the sites mentioned that Win10 has issues with some Wi-Fi chipsets/driver combinations.  So I disabled the onboard Wi-Fi controller, and hallelujah it worked.

Just to be sure, I put the M.2 drive and all the RAM sticks back in, booted from the DVD, deleted the partitions, and reran the installer.  Success!

What a PITA.  (No, I can't install LINUX on this computer, so don't even bother...)
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:07:49 PM EDT
[#1]
For future reference the fact your bugcheck was for NDIS drivers should have told you it was a network driver issue.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:59:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For future reference the fact your bugcheck was for NDIS drivers should have told you it was a network driver issue.
View Quote

Thanks.

The problem was that I didn't get the bugcode until after I'd gone through a whole bunch of hardware swaps.  30 minutes to test each swap.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 3:14:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thanks.

The problem was that I didn't get the bugcode until after I'd gone through a whole bunch of hardware swaps.  30 minutes to test each swap.
View Quote

I mean *technically* you could have gotten the bugcheck earlier by using SysRq and NMI with a debug console, that's probably way too much effort for a desktop install.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:22:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I mean *technically* you could have gotten the bugcheck earlier by using SysRq and NMI with a debug console, that's probably way too much effort for a desktop install.
View Quote

At least it would better than throwing darts, like I was.

I assume to get to a debug console I'd need to boot to a UEFI boot drive USB running LINUX (maybe Windows PE?)

Or do you use a serial console like PuTTy, which I use from time to time?
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Were you able to reactivate the onboard wifi after the install was finished?
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 3:14:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Were you able to reactivate the onboard wifi after the install was finished?
View Quote

I thought about it, but decided not to spend any more time on it.

I'm advising the client that the MOBO has the controller disabled, and that are potential problems if they enable it.
It wasn't in the scope of work, and I'm 99% sure they'll never use it in their environment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top