Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2021 2:19:43 AM EDT
Fat tire bike if it matters.

1. Do you use more front or rear brake?

My life experience on two wheels is motorcycles, street and dirt. Muscle memory is right hand front wheel brake. I’ve been thinking of swapping the cables to retain that MM but if more rear braking is better on a trail bicycle I’ll leave the setup as-is.

2.  If you use sealant in your tubes what brand do you recommend?

This will be a short term fix/prevention until my Tannus inserts arrive. I ordered MR Tuffy but don’t like the way they fit. Had I researched a little deeper I’d have known they aren’t wide enough to protect the sidewall too.

My area is extremely thorny and punctured a tire after only six miles. It’s surprising I made it that far TBH.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 2:51:17 AM EDT
[#1]
You should use as much front brake as you can, but you obviously have to modulate it as you roll over stuff to prevent a face plant.

Use the back brake lightly, but you want to avoid skidding and tearing up the trails.

Apparently it's common in Europe to run back brake left hand.  So if it works for you have at it.  With modern brakes it's not like you need to use that much force.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 3:31:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You should use as much front brake as you can, but you obviously have to modulate it as you roll over stuff to prevent a face plant.

Use the back brake lightly, but you want to avoid skidding and tearing up the trails.

Apparently it's common in Europe to run back brake left hand.  So if it works for you have at it.  With modern brakes it's not like you need to use that much force.
View Quote

If this is the common consensus then I’ll switch them. I’m right handed and when I grab they right handle currently set up as rear I clamp down hard thinking it’s the front.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 10:36:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I do more enduro style riding so lots of downhill.  I have to use lots of brake both front and rear.  If I were you I’d do what’s most comfortable.  I use more back brake because I’m back over the rear tire a lot vs more basic trails.  You may or may not ride that style or types of trails.
As far as sealant I’m assuming your running tubeless ? I use Stan’s.  There isn’t anything magical with sealant it’s just a latex paint type solution.   You should carry a tube, plastic tire levers and a co2 inflator if you ride any distance.
Its really easy to cover more trail on a bike that you can walk back in a day.  Sealant is better at keeping air in after a hard landing tire burp
Those items along with a bike multi tool will come in handy.
If your on a long ride a ultralite rain jacket energy bars and a filter straw are good add on’s just in case you spend the night .
It can happen
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 11:06:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I do more enduro style riding so lots of downhill.  I have to use lots of brake both front and rear.  If I were you I’d do what’s most comfortable.  I use more back brake because I’m back over the rear tire a lot vs more basic trails.  You may or may not ride that style or types of trails.
As far as sealant I’m assuming your running tubeless ? I use Stan’s.  There isn’t anything magical with sealant it’s just a latex paint type solution.   You should carry a tube, plastic tire levers and a co2 inflator if you ride any distance.
Its really easy to cover more trail on a bike that you can walk back in a day.  Sealant is better at keeping air in after a hard landing tire burp
Those items along with a bike multi tool will come in handy.
If your on a long ride a ultralite rain jacket energy bars and a filter straw are good add on’s just in case you spend the night .
It can happen
View Quote

My style is slow and steady. Exercise is my only goal. I’m too old to risk adding more aches and pain to this busted ass body.

I’m running tubes. I’m terrible at patching but working on it. There will be a spare and patch kit with me on rides. Stans was the sealant I saw recommended when looking at fat tire bike reviews but who knows if that guy was sponsored.

My pump is already mounted as I opted for a two stage pump rather than the CO2 route. I used them years ago and thought I’d need to carry a bunch of cartridges being this is a fat tire bike. They didn’t seem to have the volume necessary but like I said it’s been decades.

A small tool kit is already on order. The tire spoons were almost ordered but when I got this flat I deemed them unnecessary. Dismounting these tires is effortless.

Sound advice on the other carry items. As with anywhere but especially in the mountains inconveniences can turn into emergencies.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 11:18:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Curious where you ride, as thorns in CO are normally only in areas that people don't ride.  

You can't use Stan's type sealant with tubes (can you?).  You can buy tubes pre-loaded with sealant (Slime brand?).

Use front brake and rear brake as necessary to avoid skidding (rear) or endo (front).  Also, on tight switchbacks, use front right up until the switchback, then only rear as you make the turn.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 12:38:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Curious where you ride, as thorns in CO are normally only in areas that people don't ride.  

You can't use Stan's type sealant with tubes (can you?).  You can buy tubes pre-loaded with sealant (Slime brand?).

Use front brake and rear brake as necessary to avoid skidding (rear) or endo (front).  Also, on tight switchbacks, use front right up until the switchback, then only rear as you make the turn.
View Quote

Just east of Colorado Springs. There are briars everywhere out here. If I pull of a road or trail for a break I’m at very high risk of these damn things. My house was remodeled when I moved including all new carpet. Apparently the carpet was laid out first because it was polluted with briars. It took about a month until I found them all.

I was just outside and knew I’d find a hitchhiker to illustrate. Take notice to all the other thorns broken off in my sole.

Most likely Stans isn’t recommended for tubes but I haven’t looked yet. Sealant leaking in between the tube and tire makes one heck of a mess. I’m looking for a temporary solution until my liners arrive. Practicing tube patching is always good though.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 3:07:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Just east of Colorado Springs. There are briars everywhere out here. If I pull of a road or trail for a break I’m at very high risk of these damn things. My house was remodeled when I moved including all new carpet. Apparently the carpet was laid out first because it was polluted with briars. It took about a month until I found them all.

I was just outside and knew I’d find a hitchhiker to illustrate. Take notice to all the other thorns broken off in my sole.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191323/EB06FF4E-CAA5-43B0-9E7C-43F078DC80A3-1960823.jpg

Most likely Stans isn’t recommended for tubes but I haven’t looked yet. Sealant leaking in between the tube and tire makes one heck of a mess. I’m looking for a temporary solution until my liners arrive. Practicing tube patching is always good though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191323/EB06FF4E-CAA5-43B0-9E7C-43F078DC80A3-1960823.jpg

Those are Goatheads, the bane of mountain bikers in the west.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Go tubeless. I live in goathead central and never deal with flats.

I ripped the tube out the day I got my fatty. None of my bikes except my xc have tubes.i almost never ride that bike I should just sell it.

Braking. You should use the front more, and as you get more comfortable on the bike and learn how to move back and forth you'll learn how to modulate braking.

As for moto style that's all up to you as long as the hoses are long enough.

Pic of said fatty, for a fatty fan.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Those are Goatheads, the bane of mountain bikers in the west.
View Quote

The briars back in PA were annoying. These things line the floor of hell.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 4:09:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Go tubeless. I live in goathead central and never deal with flats.

I ripped the tube out the day I got my fatty. None of my bikes except my xc have tubes.i almost never ride that bike I should just sell it.

Braking. You should use the front more, and as you get more comfortable on the bike and learn how to move back and forth you'll learn how to modulate braking.

As for moto style that's all up to you as long as the hoses are long enough.

Pic of said fatty, for a fatty fan.
View Quote

That’d require buying new wheels and I’m doing my best to not let this hobby grow uncontrollably and deplete my bank account like any other I’ve got into.

I haven’t taken any pics yet. It’s stock except a Cloud 9 seat and bottle holder. A few stickers have been removed as well.

Link Posted: 5/30/2021 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I have these inbound. They’ll hopefully get me near airless reliability at $116 for the set.

Link Posted: 5/30/2021 4:38:04 PM EDT
[#12]
They can't be taped? Most don't come taped but it's not rocket science to do. I did mine.

Seems like a better, cheaper solution...

What pressure were you running and how do those inserts feel?

Link Posted: 5/30/2021 6:34:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They can't be taped? Most don't come taped but it's not rocket science to do. I did mine.

Seems like a better, cheaper solution...

What pressure were you running and how do those inserts feel?

View Quote

These wheels have ~40 1” lightening holes. There is a thin plastic liner inside covering them without adhesive to seal since they’re tubed. I wouldn’t trust tape to stay sealed unless it’s commonly done.

My pressures are pretty high as they need to support a heavy ass load. Obviously that increases chance of flats but it’s a necessary evil. 10-F 15-R

The inserts are supposed to really smooth the trail out but that’s for normal riders. Don’t know how they’ll be affected by my weight. This vid talks about the Tannus ride early in.

Mr Tuffy Tire Liners vs Tannus Armour Foam
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#14]
These wheels have ~40 1” lightening holes. There is a thin plastic liner inside covering them without adhesive to seal since they’re tubed. I wouldn’t trust tape to stay sealed unless it’s commonly done

It is.

All fatty wheels have those holes.

You just apply the tape over the rim strip on a clean wheel. I would wonder more about the tires than the wheels.

7-8 PSI unless your riding on pavement. Otherwise it's gonna be like riding basketballs.

Rule of thumb, If it's bouncing while pedaling you have too much pressure. It's gonna be horrible. The tires are the suspension.  

Mind you I send it every bit as hard as on my trail bike.

Here's where we ride fattys out here.

Link Posted: 5/30/2021 8:02:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
These wheels have ~40 1” lightening holes. There is a thin plastic liner inside covering them without adhesive to seal since they’re tubed. I wouldn’t trust tape to stay sealed unless it’s commonly done

It is.

All fatty wheels have those holes.

You just apply the tape over the rim strip on a clean wheel. I would wonder more about the tires than the wheels.

7-8 PSI unless your riding on pavement. Otherwise it's gonna be like riding basketballs.

Rule of thumb, If it's bouncing while pedaling you have too much pressure. It's gonna be horrible. The tires are the suspension.  

Mind you I send it every bit as hard as on my trail bike.

Here's where we ride fattys out here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHrnjNU8sJA

View Quote

When taping, center first or a strip each side then center?

The tires are cheap factory so yeah they’re thin. What make/model tire do you recommend against the goatheads?

Tires didn’t bounce at all at that pressure and I do ride just over a mile each way from home to get to dirt roads. I’m double the weight of most guys riding these bikes and the point of me doing so.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 8:17:31 PM EDT
[#16]
So here's the tape I used next too the wheel.

It's wider than the drop center and I had to trim it with an exacto once installed. I got it from Jenson USA.

Just used standard taping procedure. Which takes a bit of practice. Lots of video on how to get it right.

I've never had to fix a flat, I even ran this down rocky Enduro trail because f' it why not.

Attachment Attached File

Make sure your tire says TLR or tubeless ready.

Kick ass man and enjoy,  though I'm lucky enough to have a few bikes, If I could only own one it would be a fatty, it may not excel at everything,  it can do everything.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 8:33:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So here's the tape I used next too the wheel.

It's wider than the drop center and I had to trim it with an exacto once installed. I got it from Jenson USA.

Just used standard taping procedure. Which takes a bit of practice. Lots of video on how to get it right.

I've never had to fix a flat, I even ran this down rocky Enduro trail because f' it why not.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/317810/20210530_180819_jpg-1961463.JPG

Make sure your tire says TLR or tubeless ready.

Kick ass man and enjoy,  though I'm lucky enough to have a few bikes, If I could only own one it would be a fatty, it may not excel at everything,  it can do everything.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/30/2021 8:52:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Fat tire bike if it matters.

1. Do you use more front or rear brake?
View Quote

Front.  I mean, I generally use both, but 90% front.   The back can only provide ~10% of the braking power - you literally won't be able to stop going down hills if you're only using your back, at least not in any reasonable distance.  Put your weight back as you hit the brakes.  We put our NICA kids through a drill where they have to ride full speed across a parking lot, then come to a full stop inside of a square that's probably 15 feet long.  They can't hit their brakes until they cross the first line, and can't cross the second line.  Get your butt back, and hit them brakes.

2.  If you use sealant in your tubes what brand do you recommend?
View Quote

I'm 100% tubeless.  I've used Stans and Stans Race formula ("Now with twice the nanites!"), both work fine.  I generally re-do the tires in the spring, and they last until there's too much snow to ride.

This will be a short term fix/prevention until my Tannus inserts arrive. I ordered MR Tuffy but don’t like the way they fit. Had I researched a little deeper I’d have known they aren’t wide enough to protect the sidewall too.
View Quote

My area is extremely thorny and punctured a tire after only six miles. It’s surprising I made it that far TBH.
View Quote

Some of the areas I ride are notorious for goat heads.   In one ride, you can get 20, 30, or 40 poking in one tire.  The sealant does a fine job.  I don't know if I'd mess with inserts, but they will work too.

Goat heads:

Link Posted: 5/30/2021 9:19:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Front.  I mean, I generally use both, but 90% front.   The back can only provide ~10% of the braking power - you literally won't be able to stop going down hills if you're only using your back, at least not in any reasonable distance.  Put your weight back as you hit the brakes.  We put our NICA kids through a drill where they have to ride full speed across a parking lot, then come to a full stop inside of a square that's probably 15 feet long.  They can't hit their brakes until they cross the first line, and can't cross the second line.  Get your butt back, and hit them brakes.

I'm 100% tubeless.  I've used Stans and Stans Race formula ("Now with twice the nanites!"), both work fine.  I generally re-do the tires in the spring, and they last until there's too much snow to ride.

Some of the areas I ride are notorious for goat heads.   In one ride, you can get 20, 30, or 40 poking in one tire.  The sealant does a fine job.  I don't know if I'd mess with inserts, but they will work too.

Goat heads:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-CCnEMBDjOF0/UUG-VlTSLWI/AAAAAAAAA3o/0Zp1YSF8ito/s640/Goat+Heads.JPG
View Quote

Any particular tire you found to be better against goatheads?
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 9:53:12 PM EDT
[#20]
More front brake mostly. But I use a mix of both. It’s all about feeling the grip.

I run my bike brakes front-left, it’s a non-issue for me (and I also ride motorcycles).

I absolutely use Stans in all my bikes, tubed and tubeless. Goatheads are a bitch.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 12:10:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Goat heads:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-CCnEMBDjOF0/UUG-VlTSLWI/AAAAAAAAA3o/0Zp1YSF8ito/s640/Goat+Heads.JPG

One of my kids' friends had a "thorn resistant" tire that did really well, took a bunch but didn't puncture.  The tire was THICK and HEAVY... if tubeless is an option, I'd take it in a heartbeat over a tire like that.

Short of those types of tires, I haven't found any.  Sometimes you're lucky and the goat head sticks a lug, and doesn't reach all the way through.  But in between the lugs, you're going to have a leak if you aren't running sealant or liners.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 12:41:57 AM EDT
[#22]
OP, if you want to tape those rims, Tyvex tape will also work... OR google ghetto tubeless (split tube tubeless) was popular many years ago, very easy to setup and works great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top