Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2023 2:54:42 PM EDT
Just posting here for motivation and bragging rights. A quick disclaimer much of this weight loss is probably water weight.
I am 5'7" and was 330 pounds, pre diabetic and high blood pressure. Decided to unfuck myself because this was causing serious mental and physical problems for me.  
Started doing occasional intermittent fasting for 18 hours and cut out all sugars and most carbs and any artificial sweetener that spikes insulin. Eating mostly pork followed by beef followed by fish and chicken. For sides/carbs I am eating broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, tomatoes and some carrots. I also eat lots of cheese.
1/25/23  330.0 pounds
2/24/23  307.8 pounds
I fluctuate up and down depending on the amount of carbs I have.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Dayum man! That is awesome and inspiring!
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dayum man! That is awesome and inspiring!
View Quote

Thanks. It will probably stabilize to about 12-15 pounds  per month for the next three months as my water weight will settle down. After that it gets a bit more difficult.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 3:45:31 PM EDT
[#3]
That's amazing.

Good for you on improving yourself.

It is so easy to just give up and blame outside factors.  You manned the fuck up and did what was needed.

Link Posted: 2/27/2023 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Congratulations man. Hard work does payoff!

Maybe time to get in the gym and start lifting some?!
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 3:58:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Congratulations man. Hard work does payoff!

Maybe time to get in the gym and start lifting some?!
View Quote

I am doing a lot of laundry and cleaning out the basement. I have heavy weights there, squat rack, elliptical. I had sewage backup and I am cleaning it out to make it safe for exercise/breathing since the previous owner was a fuckwit and did not build to code.
As soon as I clean up the basement its weights and cardio for me.
When I was in my 20s I was shaped like an upside triangle, it is very easy for me to build muscle thanks to genetics. Trying to get back to that. I had to shop at DXL and I was running out of options and that is EMBARRASING. I have some GREAT quality suits that I used to fit in and looked great. I am not stopping until I look good in that again which means I need to get down to 180 pounds. 127 pounds, I have to lose a whole supermodel! I will be there in about 14 months from now.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I am doing a lot of laundry and cleaning out the basement. I have heavy weights there, squat rack, elliptical. I had sewage backup and I am cleaning it out to make it safe for exercise/breathing since the previous owner was a fuckwit and did not build to code.
As soon as I clean up the basement its weights and cardio for me.
When I was in my 20s I was shaped like an upside triangle, it is very easy for me to build muscle thanks to genetics. Trying to get back to that. I had to shop at DXL and I was running out of options and that is EMBARRASING. I have some GREAT quality suits that I used to fit in and looked great. I am not stopping until I look good in that again which means I need to get down to 180 pounds. 127 pounds, I have to lose a whole supermodel! I will be there in about 14 months from now.
View Quote

You’ll get there! Once you start lifting again and you see some progress you’ll be unstoppable!

Take a look at tractor supply for horse stable matts. Best bang for you buck for a home gym.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 11:12:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Awesome man
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 1:48:21 AM EDT
[#8]
That’s mind blowing weight loss in that time period.

Having the discipline to make that kind of progress is even more mind blowing.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 5:51:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey folks just an update it is 3/3/23 and I am 303.4 pounds after initial water loss I am averaging 4.4 pounds of weight lost per week.
This is going to sound corny but I had a very happy moment today. As I said I am 5'7" and at 330 pounds there were a lot of things WRONG with me, and one of them was edema of feet and just swollen feet in general.
Well today I was able to slip on my old cobbler union leather boots that I could not have gotten into if I dove into a jar of KY a month ago. I went from 9.5 EEE to 9D. I still have a high instep but it is much better than it was before.
That change alone really made my day. I didnt realize how bad things were for me Size 9.5EEE is a hobbit boot compared to normal 9 D size and width. Next step is shopping at "normal" people clothing stores which means I wont be shopping at DXL. Well Im 5'7" so it will probably be Peter Manning store which is the opposite of DXL but this is a good thing.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 1:05:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Congrats on your progress.

Do you perhaps have a typo in your first post where you listed your weight at 207.8 lbs, maybe you meant to type 307.8?

Assuming the typo is there, that is really good progress and it looks like you are continuing on a great path. Hats off to you, and keep it up!
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 9:52:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Congrats on your progress.

Do you perhaps have a typo in your first post where you listed your weight at 207.8 lbs, maybe you meant to type 307.8?

Assuming the typo is there, that is really good progress and it looks like you are continuing on a great path. Hats off to you, and keep it up!
View Quote

Yes 307 ty
301 as of this morning
I will be 207 in 7 months from now :)
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 1:24:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yes 307 ty
301 as of this morning
I will be 207 in 7 months from now :)
View Quote

Awesome progress and mindset.  I started exercising regularly and using myfitnesspal to track my calories about 3 weeks ago.  I'm down about 8 lbs so far and would like to drop another 25 by July 4.

Stay focused on the end goal, steady progress will get you there
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 3:29:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Congratulations!  It is not easy to lose weight.  I applaud your progress.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:44:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Just wanted to post an update. Weighted in at 290 pounds today so I officially lost 40 pounds since 1/25/23
Last month (30 days) I lost 16.8 pounds.
I am 5'7" and morbidly obese still and have a long way to go but not having 40 pounds on me makes my life a whole lot less painless with my psoriatic arthritis.

My gift to myself will be me weighting 200 pounds for new year.
I like GOOD clothing, I like classic clothing and I like dressing well. At my size and height I really don't have anything good I can wear that isn't cartoonishly poor fitting and looks plain bad. At around 250 pounds I can start to wear my old trousers, chinos, and blazers and suits.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 10:03:37 AM EDT
[#15]
287.5 this morning
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 10:07:16 AM EDT
[#16]
You are killing it. Great job! I was doing well then hurt my back again and fell off the wagon. Gotta get back on.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 10:39:29 AM EDT
[#17]
I had some recent extra painful motivation.
You Texans and Midwest types might appreciate it. I got a belt with an awesome kick ass buckle. Well I put the belt on and my gut bulged the buckle out to the point of almost turning it sideways. Obviously the whole thing looks like shit and I cant wear it unless I want to pretend Im henry the 8th and wear it around my belly button like a loon from 16th century.

Link Posted: 5/8/2023 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Forgot to do an update as of May 1st Im 278 pounds.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 3:35:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Forgot to do an update as of May 1st Im 278 pounds.
View Quote

Right on man. I'm always so happy to see people "get it" and lose weight. Diet, diet, diet. I'm sure you've become well aware of what responsible eating is by this point. When I lost a bunch of weight I realized "they call them birthday cakes because it's supposed to be special once a year to have cake".

When losing weight don't forget that no matter how much you exercise, it never justifies a treat. Ever. It's almost impossible to workout enough to work off a milkshake.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 3:43:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Right on man. I'm always so happy to see people "get it" and lose weight. Diet, diet, diet. I'm sure you've become well aware of what responsible eating is by this point. When I lost a bunch of weight I realized "they call them birthday cakes because it's supposed to be special once a year to have cake".

When losing weight don't forget that no matter how much you exercise, it never justifies a treat. Ever. It's almost impossible to workout enough to work off a milkshake.
View Quote

The f-ed up part is eating cheap takeout or restaurant food. Cheap takeout? Tastes salty and awful and makes you sick.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#21]
good shit

not trying to derail but i was at a bad spot and could not do hardly anything without being winded

6' 260lb, 32 yr old

that was oct 2022

today i weighed in at 195

Link Posted: 6/27/2023 4:46:49 PM EDT
[#22]
How is the progress going @OP?
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 5:48:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
How is the progress going @OP?
View Quote

I got married and kinda fell off the wagon. Been back on my diet last 5 days getting back into the rhythm of things I am 280 pounds right now.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 5:57:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I got married and kinda fell off the wagon. Been back on my diet last 5 days getting back into the rhythm of things I am 280 pounds right now.
View Quote
I am just now getting back on the wagon myself. I downloaded and use a website that is really helping with my ignorance of food. cronometer.com
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Are you weighting yourself first thing every morning and are you doing so fasted and dry (before you shower, eat or drink and after you've used the bathroom)?  

To appropriately track your weight you need weekly averages and each weeks average should be from weight ins that you do as described above. You take Week 1's average and then compare it to Week 2's average.  This is important, because hormone fluctuations, daily differences in hydration, and so forth are going to cause your weight to flux up and down so taking a weight in from just one day and comparing it to another is pretty much useless for measurement.

Are you tracking your food?  You should have the full MyFitnessPal App, the paid version.   Everything you consume should be tracked so that you hit the within 50 calories your goal every day or within 5 grams of your macro goals each day.   I am a firm believer in macronutrient tracking, at your weight and health condition I highly recommend you hire a nutrition coach to help you set those, adjust those as needed, and to hold you accountable.  

Also, you shouldn't be crash dieting man.  A big rookie mistake is to do a drastic cut of calories right off the bat.  The wiser way to go is to for the first week or two figure out what your maintenance requirement is for a healthy macronutrient balance.   You would be surprised how full some guys feels when they do that, because they're not used to eating low fat and high protein with the right amount of carbs.  When you eat low fat suddenly to meet protein and in particular carb goals you're finding yourself eating a lot of actually very filling food, because fat is dense in calories and you're used to consuming so much fat.  Once you're balanced at sustainment than you make gradual cuts in total calories down adjusting to put you on track to a conservative and consistent weekly weight loss (see my notes above about how to weight yourself).  

The other rookie mistake is to hammer yourself in the gym right off the bat like you are David Goggins, don't do that.   Your body is overweight, but you're most likely not consuming the proper nutrients and your skeletal frame is under a lot of force man so you need to get set-up for easing your body into a weight lifting and cardio routine it can handle (low impact cardio that's not crushing your joints and bones).   We want you to avoid injury and be consistent not act like you're doing the fat man's version of B.U.D.S.  Hell Week.   It's time to spend money on a reputable personal trainer man, of all the money you spend that and the  nutrition coach will be the best money you'll ever spend in your life.

Medically, I hope you're working with your doctor.  You really need to be VERY careful about that blood pressure issue.  You should really be checking to see if you can get an echo cardiogram and really dig into seeing if you've already developed a blockage of some type that is the cause of that high blood pressure.  You could be very close to a heart attack and unfortunately at this point exercise could actually cause you to have a heart attack so you need to get medically cleared before starting any exercise regiment (that's not joke and should be job 1 for you before anything else).   You may need to be put on cholesterol meds or take other actions. Make damn certain you're seeing to that, because believe me nothing is more important than good medical health so put any pride or "I hate doctor's offices" bullshit aside, because this is your life brother.  

Your doctor may want you to only do cardio that is monitored at a cardio rehab hospital facility by professionals who will monitor your heart rate and blood pressure during your exercise.  Some better insurance plans will cover that and some will not, some will cover so many sessions, but you need to look into that.   Doctors are always going to err on the side of caution, but you better damn well listen to them because there is a reason they do so.  If your doctor isn't cool with you exercising outside of a hospital right now than you need to workout how to workout under hospital supervision.  

Also, this is life now man.  Being healthy is life now, I mean like a Mandalorian "This is the Way."  Every day, forever.  This isn't a 12 weeks and I'm back to eating how I want and living like I used to thing. This is a new you and a new way of focusing on health above everything else. That is going to require a change in your mental and spiritual self man.  You need to be dedicating time and effort to every day doing something to address your mental health like it's a workout routine in and of itself.  You need to do something to melt the stress that you've packed on to your brain over the day otherwise that stress will build up and it will sabotage you.  Negative people and temptations need to be avoided at all costs.  You need zen man, you need to get right in terms of spiritual balance.  What that looks like depends on the individuals.  For some guys it's taking a daily walk by themselves for others it might be fishing daily at a pond for an hour, maybe it's meditation or just a relaxing drive in the countryside with the top down on a convertible or on your motorcycle, whatever man...make it a daily thing.  So many men neglect that, they view things in isolation when everything is connected and your psychological health is definitely connected to your physical in equal balance each feeding the other.  

Men have been conditioned to be work horses in our society.  Your employer and even your wife and kids will work you and drain you of everything you've got if you let them.  You can't be afraid to be selfish and take some time for "you" every single day.  This is a loss of air pressure in the plane situation where you need to have your mask on first before you help anyone else or you'll pass out and will not be able to help them anyways.  Don't allow yourself to be ground into dust literally.  Temptation is everywhere too, society will stress you out and then offer you the most unhealthy horrible shit to provide temporary relief at a cost.  It's a daily fight against that shit man and it's the number one fight we all need to engage in for better health.

Link Posted: 8/12/2023 7:38:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Any updates for us, OP?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top