Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2020 4:18:48 PM EDT
I'm looking for a SIMPLE ( as in easy to map a hot key ) wired gaming mouse with 10ish buttons on it for WoW. Anything Razer is a hard pass, but open to other options.

I bought a Corsair Scimitar Pro earlier today and even after looking at forum posts, videos, etc, no button would program. I ended up returning it after 45 minutes of trying to make it work.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want easy, simple, go with Logitech.  It's as simple as you can get, video linked below to show how.

Logitech G600 MMO Mouse

Setup Logitech G600 Gaming Mouse
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 5:13:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you want easy, simple, go with Logitech.  It's as simple as you can get, video linked below to show how.

Logitech G600 MMO Mouse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuxuhnYezng
View Quote
Same thing as the Corsair, they show how to program a key outside of a game, but not in game. The corsair video I watched said do this, this, and this. When I opened the software, I couldn't do this, this, or that.

On my simple plain jane mouse with 2 side buttons ( no extra software ), the buttons program with no issue through the key bind tab in the game. That's what I'm looking for. None of this complicated "extra" software crap.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 5:18:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Same thing as the Corsair, they show how to program a key outside of a game, but not in game. The corsair video I watched said do this, this, and this. When I opened the software, I couldn't do this, this, or that.

On my simple plain jane mouse with 2 side buttons ( no extra software ), the buttons program with no issue through the key bind tab in the game. That's what I'm looking for. None of this complicated "extra" software crap.
View Quote
That's because your plain jane mouse with 2 side buttons are default buttons.  They are programmed by Windows, more than those 2 side buttons are not.  No mouse on the market will come programmed with more than 2 side buttons.

They have to be programmed individually, then when in game, bind those buttons to said action.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That's because your plain jane mouse with 2 side buttons are default buttons.  They are programmed by Windows, more than those 2 side buttons are not.  No mouse on the market will come programmed with more than 2 side buttons.

They have to be programmed individually, then when in game, bind those buttons to said action.
View Quote
Sorry, was using my current mouse as an example. I had a 6 button mouse with no software as well, that I was able to program though the key bindings tab, but that was years ago.

I guess I'm saying that I want a mouse with a programming level that can be programmed by a first grader. Not one where you need to be  Stephen Hawking level of smartness.

I'm not saying I'm dumb in any way shape or form. I build computers and have torn apart motors and rebuilt them, but can't program a mouse, because it's too complicated or instructions are not clear.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 6:03:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Sorry, was using my current mouse as an example. I had a 6 button mouse with no software as well, that I was able to program though the key bindings tab, but that was years ago.

I guess I'm saying that I want a mouse with a programming level that can be programmed by a first grader. Not one where you need to be  Stephen Hawking level of smartness.

I'm not saying I'm dumb in any way shape or form. I build computers and have torn apart motors and rebuilt them, but can't program a mouse, because it's too complicated or instructions are not clear.
View Quote
You literally open the Logitech software and create a keybinding you want.  For example, shift+1.  When that's set, you go in game, and go to your bindings, and click on whatever hotkey you're wanting to bind, and press the button you just programmed.

An even more simple way is to go into WoW, find out what hotkey combo does what, and then go to the software and program each button to be that specific combo.  Shift+1-0 and Control+1-0 are your first 2 hotbars if I recall correctly.

Heres how you do it:

In this screen, you click on keystroke, and simply hold shift or control or whatever, and hit 1, or whatever key you want.

If these combos are the combos from in game, they will automatically work in game.  Otherwise you have to edit your hotbar keybindings to reflect the combo you just created.

It's really easy, and I can even explain it over discord if you want.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 6:19:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You literally open the Logitech software and create a keybinding you want.  For example, shift+1.  When that's set, you go in game, and go to your bindings, and click on whatever hotkey you're wanting to bind, and press the button you just programmed.

An even more simple way is to go into WoW, find out what hotkey combo does what, and then go to the software and program each button to be that specific combo.  Shift+1-0 and Control+1-0 are your first 2 hotbars if I recall correctly.

Heres how you do it:

https://i.imgur.com/UbNh05O.png

In this screen, you click on keystroke, and simply hold shift or control or whatever, and hit 1, or whatever key you want.

https://i.imgur.com/4CqPUxg.png

If these combos are the combos from in game, they will automatically work in game.  Otherwise you have to edit your hotbar keybindings to reflect the combo you just created.

It's really easy, and I can even explain it over discord if you want.
View Quote
I guess I'm just a box of rocks then. No clue. I just said I did that with the mouse I returned earlier today. The key binds would not work.

Thread I read that provided no help. https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=152513

Video that goes into detail that I watched that I followed.

He even says the razer mice are plug and play mapped, so not all of them need software. They have been garbage for me, so they are a hard pass.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 6:49:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I guess I'm just a box of rocks then. No clue. I just said I did that with the mouse I returned earlier today. The key binds would not work.

Thread I read that provided no help. https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=152513

Video that goes into detail that I watched that I followed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAWyc18OCl4

He even says the razer mice are plug and play mapped, so not all of them need software. They have been garbage for me, so they are a hard pass.
View Quote
Again, if the hotkeys in the software don't mirror the hotkeys in game, it won't work.

If you set it up initially to mirror said in game hotkeys, it will work.

Otherwise, I have no idea what to tell you.  I literally set up a hotkey in the image I showed you and it worked instantly in game.

Razer sucks.

Corsair's program is not nearly as easy as Logitech.  You literally click on the button you want to map, and click assign new command.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 3:36:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Another +1 for logitech and their software. Not to be a dick my dude but if you can't get it working on the logitech side of things then it's probably not going to happen and it's not the mouse or the software at that point. Like above posters said the in-game settings will have to mirror the mouse software settings. "It worked years ago" probably means that there was something updated between now and then that broke that functionality and I bet if you had the exact same mouse from years ago it probably wouldn't work. I've gone through a ton of mice and they've all been more or less the same. As others have said, windows programs most of the keys by default, idk what the limit is off the top of my head but I believe 5 or 6 mouse buttons is about the most windows supports natively.

If using the logitech software you'd take mouse button g8 (or whatever the bazillion side mouse buttons are) and assign it to say letter "L". In game you would assign letter "L" to do whatever action you want. You will not program the actions straight into the mouse and have it work without also telling the game which button does what. If you need help confirming just pick a free to play game and I'd be more than happy to jump into the software and game and tell you whether it works for sure. Fuck man, if needed I'll stream it to you step by step. Anyways, logitech is likely the best bet and bestbuy has been having some stupid steep sales on their stuff lately.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:37:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Another +1 for logitech and their software. Not to be a dick my dude but if you can't get it working on the logitech side of things then it's probably not going to happen and it's not the mouse or the software at that point. Like above posters said the in-game settings will have to mirror the mouse software settings. "It worked years ago" probably means that there was something updated between now and then that broke that functionality and I bet if you had the exact same mouse from years ago it probably wouldn't work. I've gone through a ton of mice and they've all been more or less the same. As others have said, windows programs most of the keys by default, idk what the limit is off the top of my head but I believe 5 or 6 mouse buttons is about the most windows supports natively.

If using the logitech software you'd take mouse button g8 (or whatever the bazillion side mouse buttons are) and assign it to say letter "L". In game you would assign letter "L" to do whatever action you want. You will not program the actions straight into the mouse and have it work without also telling the game which button does what. If you need help confirming just pick a free to play game and I'd be more than happy to jump into the software and game and tell you whether it works for sure. Fuck man, if needed I'll stream it to you step by step. Anyways, logitech is likely the best bet and bestbuy has been having some stupid steep sales on their stuff lately.
View Quote
Have used programmable mice in the past and had no issue. If you read my previous posts, the mouse I have now is not the one I had in the past.  The keys on the program were mapped correctly to the ones in game. They just wouldn't work. Look at the video mentioned above. It was a step by step to program it, so it wasn't operator error. Either the game didn't like the mouse or the mouse was fubar. As for now, I'll stick to being a clicker, since there doesn't seem to be mice other than crappy razer that you can use with out programming software.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:34:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Have used programmable mice in the past and had no issue. If you read my previous posts, the mouse I have now is not the one I had in the past.  The keys on the program were mapped correctly to the ones in game. They just wouldn't work. Look at the video mentioned above. It was a step by step to program it, so it wasn't operator error. Either the game didn't like the mouse or the mouse was fubar. As for now, I'll stick to being a clicker, since there doesn't seem to be mice other than crappy razer that you can use with out programming software.
View Quote
You have to program Razer as well.  As I said above, Corsair has a very wonky program. That is beyond not easy to use. Too many steps involved.  Logitech is so simple it's stupid. You literally click on the button, and "assign new command." Then put whatever command you want in there, A, B, C, Shift+1, whatever.

Also, if I recall correctly, Corsair uses profiles.  If you set the binds up correctly, but didn't select the correct profile to load it, it wouldn't have any binds on those keys.  Logitech is the same, after you program, if you didn't use the default profile, you have to select it.  See above screenshots, I have some set up for Division 2 and TW: Warhammer 2.  All I have to do is click on the icon at the top and it switches to that profile.

Again, if the button binds you make mirror said in game binds, it will work assuming all of the above is correct.  That goes for any mouse really.

You returned one mouse, what's the issue with grabbing a Logitech, attempting it, and if you / we can't get it to work, return it? We are trying to help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top