Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3084
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MaxxII:

Angus strikes you as the kinda guy who drinks vodka?
View Quote

No, he is a teetotaler.

I edited my post above, that doesn't stop him from promoting alcohol to get some money
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:56:50 PM EDT
[#2]

It's the Demarcus blade, isnt it?
View Quote

No, it was the Oosic Handle with Snakewood spacers.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:58:52 PM EDT
[#3]
that sales page had me thinking about some of damascusknifemakers' works. he has done some pretty stuff.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:01:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By WIC:

9 jumped out for me too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I like, 9, 22, 35, 42, 47, 66, 67, 102, 139, 141, and 149.

9 jumped out for me too.

47 has my attention.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:06:05 PM EDT
[#5]
caught my eye as well.

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:10:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Ti Taco Tuesday
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:12:45 PM EDT
[#7]
that sales page had me thinking about some of damascusknifemakers' works. he has done some pretty stuff.
View Quote

He has...

To be honest, all of the makers here have done some very pretty stuff...
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:34:01 PM EDT
[#8]
knives
View Quote
Wow, that's a lot of knives.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#9]
You're right, my Gulsos, Farmers and Carothers are way better than the stuff posted there.

It is a collection from a master leather worker who is retiring, stuff she collected over the years.
View Quote
Not sure if this is her leatherwork, but it looks amazing regardless.

Also hard to beat the knife description part "crotch stag butt" from a beavis and butthead perspective.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:40:42 PM EDT
[#10]
@maleante got new ink I see.

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:43:21 PM EDT
[#11]
LOL, that's right up his alley in numerous regards
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:44:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WIC] [#12]
Originally Posted By sywagon:
Not sure if this is her leatherwork, but it looks amazing regardless.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Ni0JjFlkGmEYW5id9g1QukyhJrh8lPRiAnqsC9oWDx1IfwMaZam7AYqtQJNe-dTVTesmulPQzyJ041WeuwAdBMy8QKmT-PYRA_Z47LOrmGX_O8aX3NZ3bMVClKMpHWMYrQX_aiK0jqM7NqL-TigmDgfVLtzEjSzH91kjp3-_DhTNPRIo-VXr0a9U-w=s800
Also hard to beat the knife description part "crotch stag butt" from a beavis and butthead perspective.
View Quote

I was wondering the same about all the leatherwork.

I thought the "bear jaw bone" handle looked interesting and painful to actually use.

Oh, and the prostitute knife. LOL

The Jesse Davis ones are beautiful
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:46:40 PM EDT
[#13]
This isn't me either SecretSquirell
View Quote
That was honestly very funny, having had a WRX and an accessport.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:49:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I got a chuckle out of it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:39:59 PM EDT
[#15]

There is only one distillery of any size doing vodka that I am aware of (Great Lakes/Rehorst) and I have never been a fan of their vodka.

Actually, there might be one big one...Minhas Brewery has been branching out into other beverages like the seltzer waters etc. Maybe this is something they are doing now. They do a lot of making on request.
View Quote

I've heard that it's common for new distilleries to open with vodka because it's faster than beverages that require aging. Maybe there's a new kid on the block?

Originally Posted By TriggerGSP:

Absolutely. Nitro is one of my favorite all around steels. I initially tested it for use in my saltwater line of knives (fillet/diving), but it’s good at everything.

Grind thin stuff post heat treat. They will warp until both sides even out. The first time I did a fillet I called Ed Braun (metallurgist for NJSB) in a panic. I grind one side at a time, and the sumbitch had a bad case of Peyronie’s. He laughed, and told me to just grind the other side. Sure as shit, straight as an arrow. I grind my 6” Kiritsukes so thin you can flex the edge with your fingernail. Zero chipping or cracking. Have to nail the heat treat/cryo though.
View Quote

The thin ones were warping in my dry ice bath. (I grind pretty much all of my knives hard(unless they're really thick, which I almost never make any)They'd be flat out of the plates and come out of the dry ice shaped like a banana. Lol

I've dealt with the grinding to straighten it out stuff. It can be frustrating sometimes.

I grind all of my kitchen knives to ~.008" on the edge. On my favorite chef's knife, I took it to.004". It could almost cut paper before I sharpened it. I like aeb-l and 80CrV2 because of the toughness. They can hold up to being thin enough that even if they aren't technically sharp anymore, they'll still cut food ok.   I would like to try something that has good toughness but better edge retention than either of them. I think 3v might be a bit of improvement in edge retention while still holding up to being thin.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:44:51 PM EDT
[#16]

No, Top Gear

And he punched his producer like the little bitch he was for not giving Clarkson a hot meal after a long cold day on the job and Clarkson lost his job leading the most financially successful TV series the BBC has ever seen because he did what needed to be done dropping that mofo.

Boy, writing it out like that makes my earlier comment seem a bit extreme now.

I probably wouldn't treat you like that. Might hit you with a soft pillow for your sass.
View Quote

The best part of that was Hammond and May quitting in solidarity with him.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:53:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:54:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By DFARM:

I've heard that it's common for new distilleries to open with vodka because it's faster than beverages that require aging. Maybe there's a new kid on the block?

The thin ones were warping in my dry ice bath. (I grind pretty much all of my knives hard(unless they're really thick, which I almost never make any)They'd be flat out of the plates and come out of the dry ice shaped like a banana. Lol

I've dealt with the grinding to straighten it out stuff. It can be frustrating sometimes.

I grind all of my kitchen knives to ~.008" on the edge. On my favorite chef's knife, I took it to.004". It could almost cut paper before I sharpened it. I like aeb-l and 80CrV2 because of the toughness. They can hold up to being thin enough that even if they aren't technically sharp anymore, they'll still cut food ok.   I would like to try something that has good toughness but better edge retention than either of them. I think 3v might be a bit of improvement in edge retention while still holding up to being thin.
View All Quotes

There is only one distillery of any size doing vodka that I am aware of (Great Lakes/Rehorst) and I have never been a fan of their vodka.

Actually, there might be one big one...Minhas Brewery has been branching out into other beverages like the seltzer waters etc. Maybe this is something they are doing now. They do a lot of making on request.

Absolutely. Nitro is one of my favorite all around steels. I initially tested it for use in my saltwater line of knives (fillet/diving), but it’s good at everything.

Grind thin stuff post heat treat. They will warp until both sides even out. The first time I did a fillet I called Ed Braun (metallurgist for NJSB) in a panic. I grind one side at a time, and the sumbitch had a bad case of Peyronie’s. He laughed, and told me to just grind the other side. Sure as shit, straight as an arrow. I grind my 6” Kiritsukes so thin you can flex the edge with your fingernail. Zero chipping or cracking. Have to nail the heat treat/cryo though.

Are they room temp before the bath? You could try clamping it to a 3/8 bar while it’s in the bath. I’ll be talking to Paul Farner tomorrow. I’ll pick his brain, that’s pretty bizarre.

Try Nitro-v, it’s not much more than aeb-l. 3v, or 4v is also an outstanding choice. Or just jump up to Elmax, or Magnacut.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:12:07 AM EDT
[#19]

Are they room temp before the bath? You could try clamping it to a 3/8 bar while it’s in the bath. I’ll be talking to Paul Farner tomorrow. I’ll pick his brain, that’s pretty bizarre.

Try Nitro-v, it’s not much more than aeb-l. 3v, or 4v is also an outstanding choice. Or just jump up to Elmax, or Magnacut.
View Quote

When I ht aeb-l, I leave it in the foil, clamp it between the aluminum plates and blow air between the plates until it's cool enough to handle, then pull it out, take it out of the pouch and put it in a bath of dry ice and denatured alcohol until the dry ice is gone (overnight).  I never tried clamping them to something in the bath. I plan on switching to liquid nitrogen when I get to setup shop again.   Warping is something that I end up dealing with about half of the aeb-l blades I make.  I have read somewhere (knifesteelnerds maybe?) that at one point in the process all aeb-l is in a coil and that shape can come back during HT.

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:25:53 AM EDT
[#20]

When I ht aeb-l, I leave it in the foil, clamp it between the aluminum plates and blow air between the plates until it's cool enough to handle, then pull it out, take it out of the pouch and put it in a bath of dry ice and denatured alcohol until the dry ice is gone (overnight).  I never tried clamping them to something in the bath. I plan on switching to liquid nitrogen when I get to setup shop again.   Warping is something that I end up dealing with about half of the aeb-l blades I make.  I have read somewhere (knifesteelnerds maybe?) that at one point in the process all aeb-l is in a coil and that shape can come back during HT.

View All Quotes

Maybe cryo after first temper? Not sure. Pretty interesting though,  and now I have to find an answer. Haha.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:44:32 AM EDT
[#21]

Maybe cryo after first temper? Not sure. Pretty interesting though,  and now I have to find an answer. Haha.
View Quote

I never tried tempering before the cold treatment because I thought that it would stabilize the retained austenite and the dry ice might not be cold enough to convert it.  I think of the cryo/sub zero treatment as a continuation of the quench.

I can usually get my blades pretty straight by counter bending the blades in the second+ temper cycles, but the fillet knives just wouldn't straighten out.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:49:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:02:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TriggerGSP] [#23]

I never tried tempering before the cold treatment because I thought that it would stabilize the retained austenite and the dry ice might not be cold enough to convert it.  I think of the cryo/sub zero treatment as a continuation of the quench.

I can usually get my blades pretty straight by counter bending the blades in the second+ temper cycles, but the fillet knives just wouldn't straighten out.
View Quote

Martensitic stainless is cryo’d directly after quench. Tool steels, and air hardening steels after the first temper. I don’t believe that’s a hard rule though.

Do you still have the warped blades? Jeff Mutz has had some luck spot heating to straighten. I’ve never tried it personally.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:07:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:19:54 AM EDT
[#25]

Martensitic stainless is cryo’d directly after quench. Tool steels, and air hardening steels after the first temper. I don’t believe that’s a hard rule though.

Do you still have the warped blades? Jeff Mutz has had some luck spot heating to straighten. I’ve never tried it personally.
View Quote

I still have them, but I sold my house and haven't replaced it yet, so they're in storage.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:23:07 AM EDT
[#26]

I still have them, but I sold my house and haven't replaced it yet, so they're in storage.
View All Quotes

Sure be cool to figure it out. When you find them, let me know if you want to try to tag team a solution.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:09:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CastleBravo91] [#27]
Added 2 new balisongs to the collection. These were actually hand made, in the Phillipines, by a Phillipino guy(s). Blades are made of ground down leaf springs. On the left the inlays are bone, but I don't know what from. It is actually highly flippable although I'm not sure exactly how much I want to do that.  On the right the inlays are narra wood and bone. This one is quite stiff so it does not flip at all. I got them because "I have a bunch of flippers, might as well get a genuine artifact for posterity.

Full family shot.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:47:44 AM EDT
[#28]
https://i.imgur.com/FWSuWhp.jpg

Ti Taco Tuesday
View Quote

Glad someone was able to get tacos! Nice shot!
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:48:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By rbb2:
https://i.imgur.com/S9AeG20.jpg
View Quote

Knife and food look great!
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:49:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By CastleBravo91:
Added 2 new balisongs to the collection. These were actually hand made, in the Phillipines, by a Phillipino guy(s). Blades are made of ground down leaf springs. On the left the inlays are bone, but I don't know what from. It is actually highly flippable although I'm not sure exactly how much I want to do that.  On the right the inlays are narra wood and bone. This one is quite stiff so it does not flip at all. I got them because "I have a bunch of flippers, might as well get a genuine artifact for posterity.
https://i.ibb.co/nb0GRRR/20220921-004928.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/XVG01s6/20220921-005042.jpg

Full family shot.
https://i.ibb.co/hcg70DM/2022-09-2101-07-211794820069370956212.jpg
View Quote

Impressive!
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:33:54 AM EDT
[#31]

Sure be cool to figure it out. When you find them, let me know if you want to try to tag team a solution.
View Quote

It'll be a while, but I'll definitely try to remember.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:37:39 AM EDT
[#32]

First time hearing of this. Looks delicious, I’ll try it. Thanks.
View Quote

Made even better by crunchy quick picked cucumber and a nice chili oil
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:38:56 AM EDT
[#34]

You got something against Gail?

A2 is great. Natural CPM qualities without the expensive process and easy to sharpen.

View Quote

But not 3v.

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:39:15 AM EDT
[#35]

That is an Avo, not a Mini Tolk. It's in between the two Tolks for size. Just a shade under 3.5" blade.
View Quote

Oh yeah. I had forgot about the Avo
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Also, picked up a knife that had my son's birth day and month, but wrong year. Stumbled into a small Sebenza 21 plain Jane a while ago that had my daughter's birthday exactly.

https://i.imgur.com/GhRzm68.jpg
View Quote

Awesome blade shape
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:42:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:

I like how the scales look like waves hitting a beach
View All Quotes

Good eye. That was the plan.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:46:26 AM EDT
[#38]

WISCONSIN!

That's a good looking fillet knife. I've struggled with a couple fillet knives and haven't managed to make one that didn't warp yet. Lol(I used .062" aeb-l)

Have you noticed a significant difference in toughness or edge retention between nitro-v and aeb-l?

View Quote

Oh good something on topic and not feet
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:54:27 PM EDT
[#39]

Oh good something on topic and not feet
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:26:19 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

yeah, AEBL loves to warp. clamp it to a piece of hardened 1084 .250" with small machinist clamps them into the LN
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:39:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:47:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By M41A:
https://i.imgur.com/P3CfoVh.jpg
View Quote

I love the looks of those fat spear blades.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:27:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Yeah, that's a good looker.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:28:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Gail.

Looking good in A2 and stripey pants.

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:28:59 PM EDT
[#45]
mmm-hmmmm

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#46]
oh yeah, look at that tang

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:30:26 PM EDT
[#47]
comfortable wherever she goes

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:32:18 PM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:34:36 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

Right?

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:39:46 PM EDT
[#50]

But not 3v.

View Quote

3V chews through belts.

Harder to sharpen and costs more.

It is a great, versatile steel that can have varied traits by changing the heat treat.

But it is not the end all and be all.

No.

That would be Delta 3V

Oh? You don't have Delta 3V Op?

LOL

Suck it.
Page / 3084
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top