BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/23/2021 9:37:25 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:43:51 AM EDT
[#1]
At a town meeting, he accused town officials, without evidence, of corruption, homophobia and membership in the Ku Klux Klan. He made it clear he would not back down.
View Quote

Over the past four ish years I was taught that this is the correct way to conduct myself in public when dealing with someone who disagrees with me.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:44:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Good for him.  If the commie sheep didn’t want an American to move in they should have bought the land.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:46:54 AM EDT
[#3]
The left is cancer.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:47:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like he has a line on ammo
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:48:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Dude buys land for his buddies to shoot on.
*Checks map*

Yup that's in America.

Maybe they can deregulate suppressors so the nearby Karen's will bitch less.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Over the past four ish years I was taught that this is the correct way to conduct myself in public when dealing with someone who disagrees with me.
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Good for him!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:52:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
PAWLET, Vt. — Fear has gradually spread in the town of Pawlet.

In the hills west of town — which is where the trouble started — the houses are remote, separated by wind-scoured stretches of cropland. Those people are the most jittery.

Some of them have installed cameras with infrared lights so they could pick up figures that might be moving in the dark around their houses. A few have invested in bulletproof vests.

None of it makes them feel entirely safe. Michelle Tilander, 63, a retired physical therapist who moved to West Pawlet 10 years ago, said she had written a letter to be opened in case she or her husband should be hurt or killed.

“The police come in, they’ll find that envelope and they’ll know who to question,” she said.

She is talking about Daniel Banyai, a 47-year-old New Yorker who, attracted by Vermont’s relaxed gun laws, bought 30 acres in this rural town of around 1,400 and transformed it into his dream project, a training camp where visitors could practice shooting as if engaged in armed combat.

Whether those fears are warranted is a question that has preoccupied Vermont law enforcement for months. Certainly, the dispute has escalated over three years from a zoning matter into something more combustible, as Mr. Banyai resisted the town’s demands to dismantle his weapons training facility, Slate Ridge. Anonymous threats to his opponents have appeared online.

He has argued that his project is protected under the Second Amendment, and, over social media, has called for fellow gun rights advocates to back him up.

“I’m never leaving this land,” he said in an interview. “And I didn’t ask for this war to start, but I’m going to see it through. I want to see through my victory because I bought this land free and clear.”

The State Police have resisted stepping in, saying they do not believe Mr. Banyai has violated any Vermont state law. But a January court order set the stage for confrontation, ruling that Mr. Banyai must stop using Slate Ridge for training, and the town is now seeking a permanent injunction that could culminate in foreclosure.

“The question is, kind of, how does this end?” said Jessica Van Oort, 44, a Pawlet shop owner who serves as chair of the town’s planning commission.

“Everybody in the nation has become quite aware of the threat of armed insurrection,” she said. “It’s not foreign to anyone in the U.S. to think of people who have guns and want to defend their freedoms and don’t feel that the laws apply to them.”

Mr. Banyai, a stocky man from upstate New York with a bushy, untrimmed beard, presented himself to Pawlet’s development board in 2018 as “a veteran who is passionate about guns.” He was mysterious about his past, alluding to overseas service in the Middle East but refusing to offer any details.

His goal was to open a tactical weapons training site featuring as few limits as possible, allowing firearms banned or frowned upon in other places, he said in an interview this month. He chose Vermont specifically because it allowed “constitutional carry,” or carrying a weapon without a permit, he said.

On his land, in facilities he said cost $1.6 million, visitors can re-enact a range of field exercises — a suburban house, for home invasions; a large open space surrounded by berms, for carjacking and vehicle assaults; and shipboard structures, for high-seas piracy. Months of protests, he said, have made such exercises relevant to many Americans.

“People are more believing the hypotheticals with all the rioting,” he said. “People are getting more conscientious of, you know, how do I defend myself?”

Mr. Banyai said he had selected the plot in West Pawlet because it was isolated and would not disturb the neighbors.

That turned out to be wrong.

“All of a sudden, we hear ARs — several ARs — going off, all at the same time, over and over and over,” she said, referring to variants of the AR-15 line. “Paul just said, ‘What is going on around here? It sounds like Vietnam.’”

It turned out Mr. Banyai had no desire to win over the town. Instead, he fought back tenaciously in court, arguing that his weapons site did not require land use permits from the state because he did not charge for admission. At a town meeting, he accused town officials, without evidence, of corruption, homophobia and membership in the Ku Klux Klan. He made it clear he would not back down.

“If there’s two types of people in this world — people that are strong and people that are weak,” he explained in an interview, “I’m among the strong percentage.”

Threats against the complaining neighbors began to appear on Slate Ridge’s Facebook page, unsigned and cryptic, alongside right-wing memes and ominous photographs of stockpiles of weapons.

An investigative news outlet, VT Digger, picked up the story, and the neighbors looked into Mr. Banyai’s past. An Army spokesman confirmed that Mr. Banyai had served briefly in the 1990s, showing up in records as a private, the Army’s lowest rank.

“Nobody wants to go in there because everybody’s afraid of him,” she said. “We’re 99 and nine-tenths percent sure from everything he said, he has a big cache of heavy-duty weaponry and explosive material.”

In fact, in a state that has long relied on voluntary compliance, the problem of Slate Ridge seemed to fall between jurisdictions.

The state’s Natural Resources Board — which requires permits for any commercial development — refused to send its inspectors to Slate Ridge because of concerns that Mr. Banyai might be dangerous, and in 2018 and 2019 asked law enforcement to take over the case, said Evan Meenan, associate general counsel for the body.

The State Police refused, explaining that land use has never fallen within their responsibilities. Since then, the State Police have also investigated at least 10 complaints against Mr. Banyai without finding information to warrant any criminal charge, said Michael Schirling, the state’s commissioner of public safety. Fear, he said, was not a factor.

The police “are in fairly regular contact with folks there, as result of a number of investigations that occurred,” he said. “I haven’t heard anyone make that assessment.”

For his part, Mr. Banyai dismisses the suggestion that he would ever use force against the police, who he says are “already scared to death of me.” He says he has regular visits from the police, as well as the F.B.I. and A.T.F., who enforce federal weapons laws.

“I tell police all the time, if I have to come into handcuffs, call me, I can come down or I’ll just meet you at the gate and surrender myself,” he said.

In recent weeks, he has made the conflict into a political cause, declaring his candidacy for town selectman under the motto “Make Pawlet Great Again.”

Ms. Van Oort, who is running for the Select Board, said it dawned on her gradually how heavily the town relies on a spirit of voluntary cooperation.

“The real difficulty is, when someone just decides not to obey a civil law, what happens?” she said.

“I think we all kind of let our guard down,” she said. “We’re just not equipped to deal with people like him.”

https://dnyuz.com/2021/02/23/a-bristling-standoff-rattles-gun-friendly-vermont/

View Quote

LOL !.......Melt little snowflakes, melt..............
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:56:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
At a town meeting, he accused town officials, without evidence, of corruption, homophobia and membership in the Ku Klux Klan. He made it clear he would not back down.
View Quote

View Quote

Yep!!

Good for him. I hope he prevails.

And oh, the melodramatic hyperventilating in that article. Holy shit. I didn't realize VT residents were so... weak.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:57:16 AM EDT
[#10]
At least they seem to understand that there could be dire consequences to taking everything a man has and leaving him with nothing.  I hope he is able to at least successfully sue the hell out of everyone involved since he is breaking no laws of any kind.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:58:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Good for him
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:03:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have no recollection of that event at all.
View Quote

The villain in the story must have mkultra'd you to keep you quiet.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:04:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Unless he’s breaking a law.... he’s not wrong!
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:04:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Good grief.

TL;DR: man buys land to shoot on, invites other people to shoot on his land. Soft minded neighbors fear for their lives because they don't like loud noises.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:08:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, I’m struggling to see what the problem is here. What laws were broken?

ETA:  after reading the complete article, it sounds like vague ‘threats’ were appearing on the range’s Facebook page, but it seems unclear who exactly was creating them. That said, fuck the neighbors. I hope he prevails.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:12:30 AM EDT
[#17]
I get the impression that the store managers in that town get spoken to quite often.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:15:51 AM EDT
[#18]
He should have "Karen Day" at his range....Hearts and Minds you know.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:19:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Im in West Pawlet. That article to so over dramatized it's no even funny. It's  a few busy body fucktards vs this guy for his "public range". People are out shooting all the time in this area.

Not hearing gun shots would be much stranger than hearing them. I shoot often as do atleast two other close neighbors and many others off in the distance.

Just to be clear. I don't know any of those assholes and I've never been to that guys range.

ETA

West Pawlet has a post office and a volunteer fire dept thats the entire fucking town.

Pawlet has a volunteer fire dept, church, two places to eat and a general store. A realtor and a couple bullshit shops. It takes SECONDS to drive through either "downtown" area lol

No bullshit look them up ??
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:24:47 AM EDT
[#20]
So he is not breaking the law - and they want him to stop.  Or at least voluntarily comply.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Typical NYer, moves and screws things up.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:25:37 AM EDT
[#22]
And yet, statistically, you are more likely to be killed by a Liberal.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:26:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:28:08 AM EDT
[#24]
I wish it was closer so I could visit.  Sounds like a nice range.  

I hope he crushes all the Karen’s.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:30:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The left is cancer.

View Quote

x10000

guy did nothing wrong, fuck these people.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:30:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Unless he’s breaking a law.... he’s not wrong!
View Quote

At first, I was all .

But then read this, and was

restraining order - with semi-implied threats to neighbor's daughter

Even if only 1/2 of this article is true, he loses a ton of sympathy from me.  
Asking for an exact copy of the car that your feuding neighbor's daughter drives?  Come on, man!  And yes, the screen-caps are out there.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So he is not breaking the law - and they want him to stop.  Or at least voluntarily comply.  
View Quote

My first thought was: they want "voluntary compliance" - but with what? It's certainly not with laws. It's just their weird Karen notions.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:37:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Let’s see. The police say flat out that he isn’t breaking any laws. Karen’s object and want police to harass him to force him to stop doing what they don’t like. Police rightly say NO.   Guy says flat out if the police want him in handcuffs just let him know and he’ll cooperate and even meet them wherever they want.  Yeah sounds like a real Dillinger there.  

Did I miss something?

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:38:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Article didn't seem too biased. My takeaway was uncertainty and the threat of potential violence do have a purpose.  Who wants to step on this guy first? I think he knows they are watching and waiting and will respond when he screws up.  The left must not get the connection to this on a national level.  Lot's of big threats from the left, yet no fear of any pushback. They think they are dealing with complacent sheep and not wolves. Not much fear.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:40:10 AM EDT
[#30]
The town should purchase and gift him 50 suppressors. With that and 1400 acres, problem solved.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Delete
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:47:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Another military washout running "tactical" training. Seems familiar.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:47:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yeah, I'm struggling to see what the problem is here. What laws were broken?

ETA:  after reading the complete article, it sounds like vague 'threats' were appearing on the range's Facebook page, but it seems unclear who exactly was creating them. That said, fuck the neighbors. I hope he prevails.
View Quote
If we know one thing about the left, it's that in the absence of real threats they'll just make up threats themselves.

That's my bet on this situation until proven otherwise.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:48:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

From what I've heard its just a free public range.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:50:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The town should purchase and gift him 50 suppressors. With that and 1400 acres, problem solved.
View Quote

His problem is mostly that he's 1370 acres short. 30 acres is just not enough space.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:53:01 AM EDT
[#36]
While I wish him the best of luck, you just know the fucking liberals are gonna succeed on this.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:53:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I’m assuming that the live fire portion of the 1400 acres isn’t butt directly up to a residential area or anything.

What are the specific safety concerns? I understand and support public safety, but are the concerns reasonable?
View Quote

He has 30 acres. 1400 is the town population.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:54:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Delete
View Quote

He only has 30 acres, I think the article is saying the town population is 1,400.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:55:23 AM EDT
[#39]
The State Police have resisted stepping in, saying they do not believe Mr. Banyai has violated any Vermont state law
View Quote

But a January court order set the stage for confrontation, ruling that Mr. Banyai must stop using Slate Ridge for training, and the town is now seeking a permanent injunction that could culminate in foreclosure.
View Quote

The State Police refused, explaining that land use has never fallen within their responsibilities. Since then, the State Police have also investigated at least 10 complaints against Mr. Banyai without finding information to warrant any criminal charge, said Michael Schirling, the state’s commissioner of public safety.
View Quote

]
[color=#ff0000]“It’s not foreign to anyone in the U.S. to think of people who have guns and want to defend their freedoms and don’t feel that the laws apply to them.”
View Quote
[/color]

[/color]
 When everything is done in accordance with the law,   and then they shop for any piss ant judge to make an unlawful ruling (ruling without any legal backing or in defiance of a statute.)
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:56:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

His problem is mostly that he's 1370 acres short. 30 acres is just not enough space.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's enough space with proper back stops, the problem is sound. I think 100 acres should minimize that a bit.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:56:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

He only has 30 acres, I think the article is saying the town population is 1,400.
View Quote

You can bet the majority of the trouble he has is coming from libtard transplants.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:57:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Hoping no Janet Reno wanna bes in the new regime.

She was a handsome gal though....
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Threats against the complaining neighbors began to appear on Slate Ridge’s Facebook page, unsigned and cryptic, alongside right-wing memes and ominous photographs of stockpiles of weapons.
View Quote

Since they’re lying about this what else is a lie in that article?

Someone please explain how one can post an “unsigned” threat on Facebook?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:57:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently it's labeled that way, but if you checkout their fb page they offer training. Check out the link above about the stalking, lots of interesting reading. And, I know everyone will be shocked, he has a gofundme up to fight the oppression.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:58:00 AM EDT
[#45]
This town is basically built along a giant quarry. His property backs up to it. These people fucking moved in next to a quarry and started complaining about noise.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:58:25 AM EDT
[#46]
He is Hungarian and I know a relative of him.

He had service in the Foreign Legion in Africa and other places.

That's all I know and he retired with a pension.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:59:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:59:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Self-fulfilling prophecy. If they left the guy alone, rolled their eyes and said "yeah, well, that's Banyai... we call him Rambo" then there'd be no problem. Control-freakism is destroying everything.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#49]
"Ms. Van Oort, who is running for the Select Board, said it dawned on her gradually how heavily the town relies on a spirit of voluntary cooperation.

“The real difficulty is, when someone just decides not to obey a civil law, what happens?” she said."

Oh you mean like laws against murder, rape, assault, etc etc....
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:05:11 AM EDT
[#50]
New England is full of Karens   ,  I am having a hard time believing these are the places that won our Independence from the King.

What a bunch of cucks.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top