Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/2/2022 9:00:52 AM EDT
I decided to try to ride my bike every day for 90 days.  I also decided to try fear of public humiliation as a motivator, so I'm logging the process on YouTube.  

I weighed in day 1, and will weigh in again on day 30, day 60, and day 90.

ETA: 90 days is complete, rode 1,247 miles and lost 22 lbs.

Day 1
Fat Guy Tries Riding Bike Every Day For 90 Days - Day 1

Day 90
Day 90 - Fat Guy's Last Bike Ride
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 9:05:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Good luck ??
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 9:09:11 AM EDT
[#2]
That's awesome, stay motivated.  It will be hard then get easier then become routine. You got this
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 9:37:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Good job!  Keep it up!

Seeing this reminds me I need to get back on my exercise bike.  I've missed it for about a week now, and was doing it every other day for at least 10 miles but have gotten away from it.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 9:43:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Good for you. Get it man!

Its refreshing to see an arfcom thread about losing weight thats not a fad keto thing, or only drinking water for 30 days
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 6:23:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I subscribed to this thread, will be tracking, and will hold you accountable. Good luck Freedom_Lover.

Btw, anyone know if there’s an active Official 2022 Body Transformation Thread I can join...where you post pics of yourself w/ current weight and goals?
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Subscribed to your YouTube effort.  

Go get it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 6:30:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Subscribed to your YouTube effort.  

Go get it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 9:56:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks everyone!

First week is done, ended up at 65 miles for the week.  Biggest challenge is making time in the day.  Physically so far the biggest challenge is my butt being sore from the saddle.  I bought some bike under shorts with a nice chamois, but it still hurts the same to sit on the bike.

Don't get me wrong, cardio and leg muscles are suffering too, but I'm not trying to stay on pace for a race or anything like that so I'm giving myself time to coast and breathe.  It's the ass bones that don't get a rest...

The videos aren't super interesting, more just proof of riding.  

I appreciate the"ARFCOM is cheering" comment!

Days 4-7:
Day 4 - Cycling Every Day For 90 Days

Day 5 - Cycling Every Day For 90 Days

Day 6 - First Night Ride - Fat Cyclist Rides Every Day For 90 Days

Day 7 - Fat Guy Cycles Every Day For 90 Days
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 2:25:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Hit 100 miles tonight.

Day 12 - Fat Guy Hits 100 Miles Biked
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 2:28:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Excellent work!

If weight loss is your goal... try to find mild inclines to ride up, as you're able.  Gaining altitude takes way more energy than riding on flat ground.

Also, do lower back exercises.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 5:08:36 AM EDT
[#11]
op i think most everybody is going at it wrong. im not fat currently but i have an unusual perspective on what works.

every time i visit philippines im there for about a week or 2 by the time i accidently drink the water and get sick and lose all my excess body fat. a round trip ticket there is cheap compared to how awesome it is. you wont want to come back home if your there more than 2 weeks.

other thing i learned is if you mix a very small amount of regular baking soda aka sodium bicarbonate into your hot tea in the morning you will get the same exact result and feel lighter on your feet and energetic within about 10 days or less.

yes its disgusting being on the toilet alot getting rid of peanut butter and grease from months ago you didnt know you were hauling around but its exactly like i hear people describe a colonoscopy that is terrifyingly expensive. its more natural and cheaper / safer in my opinion.

if you want to shed weight quick try it. once you do youll be buff and not fat again until the following winter unless you stay near the equator. it really is awesome to feel like a kid again!
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 5:11:35 AM EDT
[#12]
oh! 1 more thing i almost forgot. i was a cyclist for years one thing to watch is dont put too much weight on a bicycle seat for long periods of time. ladies can but guys get all kinds or prostrate etc problems that are life changing. be careful!
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 11:38:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Excellent work!

If weight loss is your goal... try to find mild inclines to ride up, as you're able.  Gaining altitude takes way more energy than riding on flat ground.

View Quote

Definitely!  I'm suddenly painfully aware of all the elevation changes in the "flat" roads I've driven on for years.  There's a hill not to far from here that I started up the other day and I only made it about 200 yards before the burning and gasping stopped me.  I definitely want to conquer it.

As far as my goal or purpose, of course I'd like to lose some weight, but I guess the main thing is trying to prove to myself that I can actually have some will power.  I know that getting to a healthy weight is going take multiple changes and long term consistency.  So the first baby step is to prove I can commit to do something and actually follow through.

Thanks for the tip on the lower back!
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 12:16:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That's awesome, stay motivated.  It will be hard then get easier then become routine. You got this
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/11/2022 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I was nearly 50yo and 270 when I first started cycling in 2015. Last week I did the 105miler at Unbound Gravel at 162lb

Cycling helped but diet was the key. The goal of becoming a competitive cyclist and being in shape for an upcoming race day helped keep my weight down all these years. Ymmv
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 10:32:49 PM EDT
[#16]
What course and how many miles you got planned for tomorrow?

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 2:07:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Definitely!  I'm suddenly painfully aware of all the elevation changes in the "flat" roads I've driven on for years.  There's a hill not to far from here that I started up the other day and I only made it about 200 yards before the burning and gasping stopped me.  I definitely want to conquer it.

As far as my goal or purpose, of course I'd like to lose some weight, but I guess the main thing is trying to prove to myself that I can actually have some will power.  I know that getting to a healthy weight is going take multiple changes and long term consistency.  So the first baby step is to prove I can commit to do something and actually follow through.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Excellent work!

For hills, you can gear down awfully far and just spin.  Take brakes, gather your breath, then get back at it.  Don't be one of the dudes trying to slog up a hill with his legs barely moving, trying to just muscle it out.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 3:16:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I was nearly 50yo and 270 when I first started cycling in 2015. Last week I did the 105miler at Unbound Gravel at 162lb
View Quote

This entire thread is making me want to get out and ride tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration!

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 3:17:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I decided to try to ride my bike every day for 90 days.  I also decided to try fear of public humiliation as a motivator, so I'm logging the process on YouTube.  
View Quote

Liked, liked, liked, and subscribed! Keep it going.

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 3:20:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

For hills, you can gear down awfully far and just spin.  Take brakes, gather your breath, then get back at it.  Don't be one of the dudes trying to slog up a hill with his legs barely moving, trying to just muscle it out.
View Quote

I've found that hilly areas are great for burning fat. I pedal my ass off down the hill to get a coast on the start of the way up, with some inertia to muscle to the top, with a period of light pedaling on the crest. I forget what they call that in cardio world, but it works and breaks a long ride up into short, achievable goals, if the terrain for it is near you.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:43:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Up your minimum ride distance a mile every week.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 3:54:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Good job! Keep at it!
I started riding a year ago. I've lost about 1-2" in my belt and about 10 lbs.
I'm at a little over 3k miles this year.

On the sit bones. My sit bones hurt for 9months until I dropped the bars and changed the sit angle.
I was too upright.
You may just have to try different angles of riding
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 2:41:16 AM EDT
[#23]
By popular demand, I rode up some hills over the weekend:

Day 13
Day 13 - Newb Cycling Every Day For 90 Days

Day 14
Day 14 - Fat Guy Cycles On Hills
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 3:45:58 AM EDT
[#24]
I need to do this.

been thinking about fixing up my old bike.  Need some wheels that will bear the load, though
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 8:14:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Hell yeah! Good luck OP.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 3:13:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Up your minimum ride distance a mile every week.
View Quote

That's a great plan.  I made my minimum 2 miles for a ride to count because I figured that was doable when conditions are bad or I have other things pressing.  I don't really want to change that because something may come up and I don't want to set myself up to fail.  
Today for example it's raining almost sideways and will be until tonight.  Riding is going to be pretty miserable.  I'm going to ride on my lunch time and get as many miles as I can, but it's nice knowing I could cut off at 2 if it's super bad.
On a typical day, though, I'd like to get at least 10.  I'm at 132 miles so far in 14 days, which means I'm averaging 9.4 miles per ride.  I'll try to go longer and longer throughout the process, but the main thing is to prove to myself I can stick to something for 90 days.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 3:19:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Good job! Keep at it!
I started riding a year ago. I've lost about 1-2" in my belt and about 10 lbs.
I'm at a little over 3k miles this year.

On the sit bones. My sit bones hurt for 9months until I dropped the bars and changed the sit angle.
I was too upright.
You may just have to try different angles of riding
View Quote

Nice going!

Yeah, I think I'm just too heavy.  My wrists are already killing me because so much of my torso weight is forward, and when I try to grip the drops I can't breathe because my gut compresses my lungs...
Honestly I'd like to sit more upright but that would hurt my butt even more.
Sometimes I think I should have gotten a mountain bike or hybrid.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 3:25:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Good job OP. Keep it up. Subbed.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 3:46:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Keep at it, dude, even if the weather's not great.

Determination and consistency.  You don't need to be Lance Armstrong, you just need to elevate your metabolism.

Generally speaking, 3 miles on a bike is roughly equal to a mile of running.  Stay at it, burn fat.

Link Posted: 6/13/2022 9:40:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Keep at it, dude, even if the weather's not great.

Thanks.  That's just the little kick in the butt I needed.

Here's 13 very soggy miles just for you guys:
Day 15 - Fat Guy Doesn’t Give Up - Cycling Every Day For 90 Days
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:35:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Best one yet, 30 miles on the Trail Of The Coeur d'Alenes:
Day 22 - Fat Guy Rides Bike 30 Miles And Doesn't Die
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 10:11:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Excellent work!!!!
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 10:19:46 AM EDT
[#33]
AWESOME!

Stay at it.  Don't over-train, and don't injure yourself.

That little "Owwie" period at the beginning of each ride may be from not resting.  Your muscles are getting their "Swole" on, and you need a little time for the micro-tears to heal and make them bigger.

If you can't take a whole rest day off, plan a 1-miler just to keep the lactic acid moving.  

If you take longer rides (25 miles or longer, or hill work) think about pre-loading with 400-800 of Motrin ("Ranger Candy") and a banana, and when done an ice bath, or a regular warm bath with epsom salts.  Maybe go to a gym and sit in the whirlpool.

Powdered Gatorade at 1/2 the recommended recipe, post-ride, will keep your electrolytes up without adding a lot of sugar.

Looking forward to the 30-day report!
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:53:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If you take longer rides (25 miles or longer, or hill work) think about pre-loading with 400-800 of Motrin ("Ranger Candy") and a banana, and when done an ice bath, or a regular warm bath with epsom salts.  Maybe go to a gym and sit in the whirlpool.

Powdered Gatorade at 1/2 the recommended recipe, post-ride, will keep your electrolytes up without adding a lot of sugar.
View Quote

Thanks, I'll definitely try that on the next bigger ride.

Last night was day #25 and I hit 251 miles, so I've officially brought my average up to 10 miles per day.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 7:03:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Last night was day #25 and I hit 251 miles, so I've officially brought my average up to 10 miles per day.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/28/2022 1:30:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Day 30

Hey guys I'll have a video tonight after I'm finished riding for the day, but the scale says down 7 pounds and down 1.5% body fat.  
Also passed 300 miles last night.

I'll take it!
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 1:32:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Keep it up OP. This is very inspirational!
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 1:44:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Day 30
Hey guys I'll have a video tonight after I'm finished riding for the day, but the scale says down 7 pounds and down 1.5% body fat.  
I'll take it!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Day 30
I'll take it!
Quoted:
HellzYes.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 1:50:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Nice work!  Cycling is my favorite exercise, low impact but you can still grind yourself into mud if you feel like it Keep up the good work!!!
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 2:03:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Really cool OP.

I need to do something as well.

My natural/healthy body weight is probably something around 175 and im at 220 now. I feel like it too...

Got two young kids and really active in church, coaching community sports, and have a stressful job, so I've struggled to find time to do anything.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 5:25:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Great job. You're putting in the work!!
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 10:03:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Watched your Day 30 video.

Excellent!

About your diet -- this doesn't have to be painful.

Try this:  eat whatever you want, but maybe only 2/3 the serving sizes you're doing now.  Coupled with 10 miles a day, your metabolism is becoming more efficient as well.

Try a flavored fizzy water instead of soda pop.

If, as you noted, you drop 21 pounds in 90 days -- man that's HUGE ... the equivalent of 800 rounds of 9mm, or 565 rounds of 5.56!
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 10:24:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Got two young kids and really active in church, coaching community sports, and have a stressful job, so I've struggled to find time to do anything.
View Quote

That was one of the selling points for cycling to me, is that it can take the place of traveling I already have to do throughout the day.  It takes me 15 minutes to drive to work, or 25 minutes to ride to work.  I have to get there either way...

Of course I end up doing more riding than that, but commuting would at least have me on the bike.  Also when I'm riding home it's pretty easy to extend the ride a little bit without making too severe a time impact on the day.  It's easier than deciding to stop whatever you're doing and decide to go on a ride out of the blue, you're already on a ride as a regular part of the day and you're just tacking on a few more minutes.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 10:29:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted:
HellzYes.
View Quote

Quoted:
Nice work!  Cycling is my favorite exercise, low impact but you can still grind yourself into mud if you feel like it Keep up the good work!!!
View Quote

Quoted:
Great job. You're putting in the work!!
View Quote

Thanks for the encouragement!
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 10:29:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Best current thread on ARFCOM.

Now if I could subscribe to it....
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Keep on Rolling Brother!!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 10:32:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Dude, you're awesome.

That's all I have to say.

Good for you. Seriously.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 8:15:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Watched your Day 30 video.

Excellent!

About your diet -- this doesn't have to be painful.

Try this:  eat whatever you want, but maybe only 2/3 the serving sizes you're doing now.  Coupled with 10 miles a day, your metabolism is becoming more efficient as well.

Try a flavored fizzy water instead of soda pop.

If, as you noted, you drop 21 pounds in 90 days -- man that's HUGE ... the equivalent of 800 rounds of 9mm, or 565 rounds of 5.56!
View Quote

Thanks!  A few times I've already found myself stopping when I would have typically eaten more.  It honestly surprised me.  I've actually thought quite a bit about why, because I haven't been holding myself to any diet.  

Best I can figure is it's a subconscious cost/benefit analysis.  Eating tastes and feels good, that's a benefit.  Normally there's not any big immediate cost I associate with it, so I keep on eating.  Now, I'm putting big daily efforts into riding, so as I'm eating in the back of my mind I'm undoing the work I just did.  The benefit of the food tasting good is less than the cost of the ride effort that I'm wasting.  It's like when my quads and glutes are on fire it reminds me that I have skin in the game now and I don't want to deprive myself of the results I've worked for.
None of that is a conscious decision, it just happened.  "No, I guess I don't need seconds tonight,"  and then "that was weird, I always have seconds..."

I'm not claiming I've been consistent at all, or even trying to.  I've definitely had some big eatin' days, but there have been a few days where I naturally wanted to eat pretty minimally, and that's a brand new phenomenon for me.

+1 on the flavored waters.  Lime Bubly is where it's at, also black iced tea.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 9:39:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Great job man.  Keep at it.  

Riding is how I lost 30 pounds.  I stopped eating any processed food and after 60 days I had lost 15 pounds.  After seeing that I made an effort to eat even healthier and lost 15 more in about 30 days.  

If your riding position is uncomfortable get a hybrid and/or extend your bars up higher to make your current bike more similar to one.  They are a few bucks on Amazon and takes a few minutes.  The bike style doesn’t matter for fitness.  Putting in the time does so might as well be comfortable.  

My big thing is I had an area where I could ride 6 miles uninterrupted.   I go up and back.  Keeping my pace at 12 mph or over to keep my heart rate up.  As you get better I pick areas to really speed up.  I try to go faster every time.  Kept it fun for me trying to be better every time.  

I moved from riding to lifting weights now.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 10:51:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Riding is how I lost 30 pounds.
View Quote

Music to my ears!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top