Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2021 12:12:27 AM EDT
Picked up this 84' with a 94' engine and transmission today.
Has a 1994 351 Windsor and matching transmission along with a Holley 650 carb.

Working on getting it running, thought it was just the starter, but got that replaced and can't quite crank so I had to get it towed.

I can get it to turn over an alllllmost run by drizzling a few drops of gas into the carb (Holley 650) but once the gas added to the carb burns up it dies out.

It's on a tow truck for the night and coming to me tomorrow, I'm thinking a re-build of the carb might be in order?

Fuel pump appears to be working, but haven't pulled the fuel line yet to verify. I can hear it working. I figure it could be a clogged fuel line.

Recommendations on where to start welcome! I have worked on cars, but am by no means an expert.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:31:37 AM EDT
[#1]
What fuel pump does it have ?  Start with the basics. Fuel at the carb ? Should be 4-5 psi for a Holley. Is the float stuck ?  It should have a sight plug on the side of the bowl.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I have worked on a lot of Holley carbs.  The float needle rarely sticks closed and mostly start to leak when needing a rebuild.   I have rebuilt plenty of them.

You aren't getting fuel.  Holley recommends 7psi at idle and 4psi at redline.

Disconnect the fuel line, put it in a bucket, and see if you have flow.  You can also take the sight screw out of the float bowl cover and see if there is fuel in the bowl, which I bet, there is not.

Also, the accelerator pump nozzle would squirt as you manipulate the throttle lever/plates.  No squirt, the bowl is empty, or the accelerator pump isn't working.  All of these carb parts and seals to make these things work will be in the carb kit.

Rebuilding the carb is a good place to start, but make sure you have fuel flow, clean fuel lines, and a fresh fuel filter.

I keep a spare electric fuel pump on my shelf to hook up to a gallon can of gas, just to get old cars running and eliminate any issue of bad fuel or lines.

Just for giggles, here is the last Holley I will ever run, a Braswell modified Holley double pumper on a NASCAR spec engine:

All I own now are AVS series Edelbrock carbs.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#3]
In addition to what Wildearp said about making sure you’re getting fuel appropriately, make sure your ignition/plug wire order is correct. 351’s (5.8’s) uses a different firing order than the old 302s, but the same as the 5.0’s.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 3:00:52 PM EDT
[#4]
In addition to the previous posters advice.  On a truck that old, I'd be taking a look at all the rubber line between the tank and pump also.  The pump will pull air easier than fuel if you have any rubber rot going on.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 12:02:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the tips y'all!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top