Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/21/2021 2:40:12 PM EDT
I would guess this skimming from processors happens all the time. Do it at home people.

8 people and 90 counts. Wow

Eight people were indicted on over 90 criminal counts last week for an alleged illegal poaching operation in Gallia County, the Ohio Attorney General's Office says.

According to Attorney General Dave Yost, the group operated as A&E Deer Processing.

Authorities say the group poached 30 Ohio white-tailed deer and skimmed more than 700 pounds of meat from deer that hunters paid to have processed by the business.

A&E Deer Processing then allegedly sold the stolen meat for a profit.

“Deer hunting is a deep-rooted tradition in Ohio, with generations having been taught the values of conservation, responsibility and discipline,” Yost said. “This level of corruption violates those tenets, and protecting and preserving this part of our heritage are important to all sportsmen and -women.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 2:40:51 PM EDT
[#1]
What is poachong?
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve definitely gotten processed deer back that felt pretty damn light relative to the deer. This has to be a pretty common practice.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 2:42:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is poachong?
View Quote

Illegal huntong?
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 2:43:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Not everyone can process the meat themselves, it takes a certain kind of person to willingly want to get their hands dirty with blood and guts for a living.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 2:43:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I’ve definitely gotten processed deer back that felt pretty damn light relative to the deer. This has to be a pretty common practice.
View Quote

Enjoy your milk crate full of Elk jerky.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 2:44:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unfortunately, it is. Same is true of cattle processing. I gave one processor a try that had openings and I found out why: the cattle was about 60 lbs light and the meat was from two separate cows, one of which was completely inedible due to being so old and tough.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 2:44:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Illegal huntong?
View Quote
and fishong
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 2:45:51 PM EDT
[#8]
And you know they took all the good cuts, and gave the hunter all the crap
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 2:49:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
and fishong
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Illegal huntong?
and fishong

and capturong?
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 2:52:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I bet this happens at every processor out there.

J-
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 2:53:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What is poachong?
View Quote

Vietnamese poachers, rather common in the upper Midwest.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 2:53:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I sometimes felt my meat was a little light. seriously I thought I should have gotten more a few times.
Pro tip. Cut your back straps off before you take to processor.  Easy to cut into steaks and put in ziplocks. Back straps are a lot of steaks and why pay per pound price for something so easy to do.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Why someone wouldn't process their own game is beyond me.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:00:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:02:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Not everyone can process the meat themselves, it takes a certain kind of person to willingly want to get their hands dirty with blood and guts for a living.
View Quote

I don't know any processor that will take wild game that hasn't been field dressed. You literally have to get your hands dirty with blood and guts before it gets to the point of someone else doing the work.

Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:04:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ever process a bull elk? Or maybe you have 2 in the family after a trip? Get home on Sunday work on Monday.  Want nice steaks maybe sausage . Its easier.

Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:08:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What is poachong?
View Quote

Yeah, I know.

Can’t figure out how to scroll that far over to fix it though
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:11:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've definitely gotten processed deer back that felt pretty damn light relative to the deer. This has to be a pretty common practice.
View Quote
We now add a note telling them to wrap the back straps and tenderloin separately. At least, it lets them know we'll be looking for them.  We've been shorted more than a few times. Over the years, there is no question the processed meat has been light. I'm referring to the deer of several hunters processed by four different facilities.

Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:13:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What is poachong?
View Quote

Something the Hmong do.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:17:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Once I found out you aren't likely getting most of your actual animal back, I decided to process all my own.  I take awesome care of my harvest, why should I eat Joe Blow's overheated pronghorn that he left the hide on for a day.  

I also had a deer and an elk yield much less than I expected despite impeccable meat care, and I assumed they were either keeping some, or just guessing.  The only reason these guys are getting in trouble is the selling of wild game, that will get you every time.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:19:10 PM EDT
[#22]
And that boys and girls is why I process all my own deer.

Most processors (not all) are some shady fucks, that overcharge folks for shitty processing of  a deer.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Illegal huntong?
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:20:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm guessing this sort of thing will be more common soon...

Speed
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:22:52 PM EDT
[#25]

their Capt D sells cheap ass fake lobster rolls too

Gallia and Meigs are poor as fuck people there too - i partied at the BW3 in Gallipolis and stayed overnight at the Hampton Inn before

Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:23:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Best case scenario for most processors is you're getting the same kind of meat and approximately the weight you should be getting.

Many times it's not the same animal(s) you get back.

Many times it's light - intentionally.

Sometimes it's the wrong type of meat entirely.

Butcher your own meat if you possibly can.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:29:36 PM EDT
[#27]
So long ago I went hunting and gutted a deer. Let the guy whom I hunted with keep the meat so I didnt really know what happened next

What is processing one beyond that?

Simply chopping up the deer into back straps and the like?

Is it a really difficult process not to want to do it yourself?
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:33:04 PM EDT
[#28]
I used to keep an extra refrigerator out in the garage to age, then process my deer myself.  All that was in the extra refrigerator were wire racks with a catch tray at the bottom for anything that dripped off the meat while it was waiting to be processed.  

Cleaning it up and cutting it into the cuts wasn't all that difficult, it was the wrapping and labeling everything for the freezer that seemed to take so much time.

ETA:  I bone the deer out in the field, so I don't bring any bones home with me...just meat.  The meat goes onto the racks to age, then I bring it inside to cut up and package.  All the bones stay in the field with the gut pile and hide which I don't use.   The coyotes, and other scavengers have a field day.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:34:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What is poachong?
View Quote

Something the Hmongs do?
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:36:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:37:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup, and if you even get your own meat back from your harvest.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:39:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What is poachong?
View Quote

I don't talk about it much, but '68 in Poachong was brutal man... just brutal.

Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#33]
I always figured if the Butcher gives you a good price and does a kick ass job, I don't mind if he gets a small cut (See what I did there?)

If you are being overcharged, fuck that they don't deserve anything extra.

Depends on how friendly you guys are though honestly; we knew a guy so we didn't mind sharing a bit. Hell he'd share out of nowhere with us as an added bonus.

I remember I got like 10lbs of goose jerky outa nowhere.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:45:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same reason I don’t change my own oil or cut my own grass.

It’s easier to just pay someone to do it, and be done with it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:49:04 PM EDT
[#35]
a similar thing has been happening here.  We were buying a beef every year, taking it to a local processor.  I think we were getting last years meat and they were keeping ours. The meat was tasting bad, and would go bad fast.

finally switched to another processor and getting good stuff again.  Multiple google reviews of the old place complaining about bad meat and going bad fast and freezer burn etc
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 4:07:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
So long ago I went hunting and gutted a deer. Let the guy whom I hunted with keep the meat so I didnt really know what happened next

View Quote

For people completely divorced from it? Yeah, it’s a chore.

Link Posted: 10/21/2021 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Article is sexist. Should be sporting persons instead of sportsman and sportswoman.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 4:22:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 4:22:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not difficult at all. Time consuming, though. Deboning, trimming the meat of sliver membrane and fat, then slicing/cubing/ grinding/packaging.

Takes me about 3 hours to process a deer.

Link Posted: 10/21/2021 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Poachong.

Link Posted: 10/21/2021 5:02:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
a similar thing has been happening here.  We were buying a beef every year, taking it to a local processor.  I think we were getting last years meat and they were keeping ours. The meat was tasting bad, and would go bad fast.

finally switched to another processor and getting good stuff again.  Multiple google reviews of the old place complaining about bad meat and going bad fast and freezer burn etc
View Quote

Bottom line,  if they are reputable you should get your own animal back. I'm picky too , skin off right away and cooled off. Some goofballs take it the processor not skinned and killed days ago.  It's key knowing who you take it too .
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 5:03:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It’s easier lazier to just pay someone to do it, and be done with it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2021 5:07:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's definitely not lazier if you are using that time to do something more enjoyable or profitable.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 5:14:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It's definitely not lazier if you are using that time to do something more enjoyable or profitable.
View Quote

I find cutting meat cathartic
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 5:15:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I'm sure you work on your own vehicles,  cut your own grass, fix your own ac and heat
cut a 2 chords of wood haul home and stack.  Process an elk or two and a mule deer in your sanitized space with all the tools and wrapping paper ready to go. While putting in 50 hours a week.
Anything else is lazy amirite?

Link Posted: 10/21/2021 5:17:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Dishonest deer processor: "you'll definitely get your deer back"

Honest deer processor: "there's a slight chance you'll get your deer back"
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 5:20:29 PM EDT
[#47]
One processor told me that a surprisingly large amount of customers never even bother to pick up their processed meat.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 5:21:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

While I agree that not everyone can process an animal themselves I have never met a deer processor that guts the animal for the hunter.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 5:21:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a deal where i get to kill an elk everey year or two but i have to get it processed near the lease.  Last year the meat from this elk was less than 80 pounds.  It was a large calf elk.  mot full grown by any means but still.  I split it with the guy that took me hunting.  I also split the processing.  I am not going to shoot one this year unless they let me take it home.  and it was not shot all to hell either.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#50]
The place I take mine is pretty good. They process one at a time with like 4 guys working on it, they can do a good sized deer in 15 mins. And your deer is your deer except if you do sausage, they do bulk batches on that.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top