Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2023 6:43:26 PM EDT
I know, I know, everyone says just join a better gym or get a home setup.  But there are good reasons that isn't an option for now.

Anyhow, the gym I have access to has a smith machine, dumbbells and a single EZ curl bar.  I just starting last looking at the 5x5 workouts and I like them.  Any thoughts on how to best approximate it without the core full body exercises?  I tried a combo of smith machine with dumbbells and felt like a good workout but I'm not sure if I'm wasting my time.

They have a cybex setup as well, but that seems even less beneficial for building strength.

Been doing getting there 3 times a week pretty consistently for last 7 weeks, but just doing random stuff.

Do I just do everything with dumbbells and skip the smith machine altogether?  Or mix the two?  Dumbbell squats don't feel right, but neither do a the smith machine.

Current state: I'm a runner, lean bordering on skinny. Late 40s. Running 15-30 mis week. But burned out.  Gym is more of a rec center.  But working out with my 12 yo and it is a way to spend extra time with him beyond my days.

Goals: get stronger, put on a few pounds of muscle.

Any ideas or recommendations?  Better workout regimen ideas?

ETA:see last post. Thanks for all the input.

Link Posted: 5/8/2023 11:01:34 AM EDT
[#1]
The Smith machine is really not very good for the core 5x5 workouts. Dumbbells are better if you can get the weight heavy enough, but if you're a bigger dude, a lot of time there's not enough weight.

I've suggest running MAPS Anabolic and doing the 'At home' version with Dumbbells. I've never run the Dumbbell version - only the barbell version, which I really like - but I have a friend who does the Dumbbell version and her results have been good. The caveat to that is she's probably 115 soaking wet, so getting enough weight for her isn't a problem, and it may be for you.

ETA: But yeah, the ideal thing to do is probably get to a better gym. There's really no way around that.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 11:37:27 AM EDT
[#2]
When I was getting started I had to take a work trip out of town. I didn't want to skip a week of workouts so I hit the hotel fitness center (which was legit!). They didn't have a squat rack or any barbells, just curl bars of different weights. I did all the 5x5 with dumbbells or curl bars and it was pretty good. In fact, I'd say squats with dumbbells have distinct advantages.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Do it with dumbbells, but instead doing 5x5 with sets across, change it to 5x5-8.

So say you do 5 sets with good form (don't fail), and you get 8,8,7,6,7. Keep the weight the same next workout and try for 5x8.

Once you get it, then jump in weight (5-10 lbs per dumbbell) and go again, aiming again for 5-8 reps until you can can hit the max on every set.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 1:27:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do it with dumbbells, but instead doing 5x5 with sets across, change it to 5x5-8.

So say you do 5 sets with good form (don't fail), and you get 8,8,7,6,7. Keep the weight the same next workout and try for 5x8.

Once you get it, then jump in weight (5-10 lbs per dumbbell) and go again, aiming again for 5-8 reps until you can can hit the max on every set.
View Quote
I like that. Factors for the 10 lb jump you have to make for dumbbells?  

Thanks for all the replies.  And the notable absence of mockery.  

I did a drop in (without my sons) at the rec center, to use proper free weights.  Definitely a better workout. Surprisingly (to me) squat wasn't terribly below what i could do on the Smith machine (30 lbs) and I felt like it wasn't way different.  Deadlift I could do a few lbs MORE, and it felt much better.  But bench was 40 lbs below what I could do on Smith and felt way harder.  But was also at end of the full 5x5.

Overall felt much better though.  I'll try the dumbbells at 5x8
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 1:32:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Smith machine is really not very good for the core 5x5 workouts. Dumbbells are better if you can get the weight heavy enough, but if you're a bigger dude, a lot of time there's not enough weight.

I've suggest running MAPS Anabolic and doing the 'At home' version with Dumbbells. I've never run the Dumbbell version - only the barbell version, which I really like - but I have a friend who does the Dumbbell version and her results have been good. The caveat to that is she's probably 115 soaking wet, so getting enough weight for her isn't a problem, and it may be for you.

ETA: But yeah, the ideal thing to do is probably get to a better gym. There's really no way around that.
View Quote
Good news is I'm pretty damn weak (too much running) so I haven't maxed out the dumbbells yet (80 Lbs are biggest I think).  

Suppose that would be a good goal/benchmark.  Though I learned yesterday I can squat more than 160 with barbell. Feels almost like a grip strength issue with the dumbbells. Does that make any sense?
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 5:14:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Good news is I'm pretty damn weak (too much running) so I haven't maxed out the dumbbells yet (80 Lbs are biggest I think).  

Suppose that would be a good goal/benchmark.  Though I learned yesterday I can squat more than 160 with barbell. Feels almost like a grip strength issue with the dumbbells. Does that make any sense?
View Quote

Grip strength can be an issue with a lot of things. If you start to have that problem, there are exercises you can do to improve that. Easiest is one of those little grip-squeeze things; don't do a ton of reps, just do a few periodically interspersed throughout the day. Or even a stress ball.

Sometimes, though, it's not grip strength so much as it is how you're gripping, so you can play around with that. Or sometimes you can use gloves or chalk to help. I use gloves sometimes because the knurling on my bar is a bit to aggressive for me when deadlifting.

ETA: The fact that you haven't maxed out the dumbbells is good. The other thing you can do to 'stretch out' the time you can lift with those is to move slower - slowing down the movement will make it harder and work you more. Especially if you have only a limited number of weights - did you say only in 10's? - you can slow down with one weight before moving up. You can also look at Platemates - they're little magnets that stick onto the end of your dumbbells to give you more options as to weight. You could just take them to the Gym with you.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 6:13:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Concur with dumbbells > smith machine. You can do a lot with them...smith sucks.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Always use free weights if you can and ignore the smith machine unless you’re likely to have seizures, or neuromuscular issues so strongly you look as though you’re trembling with something like Parkinson’s.

Free weights always make you manage the weight and balance your core. Smith machines make your range or motion unnatural.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:53:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Grip strength can be an issue with a lot of things. If you start to have that problem, there are exercises you can do to improve that. Easiest is one of those little grip-squeeze things; don't do a ton of reps, just do a few periodically interspersed throughout the day. Or even a stress ball.

Sometimes, though, it's not grip strength so much as it is how you're gripping, so you can play around with that. Or sometimes you can use gloves or chalk to help. I use gloves sometimes because the knurling on my bar is a bit to aggressive for me when deadlifting.

ETA: The fact that you haven't maxed out the dumbbells is good. The other thing you can do to 'stretch out' the time you can lift with those is to move slower - slowing down the movement will make it harder and work you more. Especially if you have only a limited number of weights - did you say only in 10's? - you can slow down with one weight before moving up. You can also look at Platemates - they're little magnets that stick onto the end of your dumbbells to give you more options as to weight. You could just take them to the Gym with you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Max dumbells are 75 lbs, so already bumping the limit to properly do 5x5 squats. I did have some trouble hanging on to them, but leg strength was fine.  

Worried about my form though, seemed to get in to a knock-knee position.

And yeah, it is clear after going to rec center with proper free weights that the smith machine just isn't the right thing
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#10]
So I broke down and joined the Rec center with proper free weights.  I've been rolling 5x5 workout strictly for 7 weeks.  Not quite progressing like I was hoping.  Part of it is probably nutrition, part age (47).  Any tips on ways to advance faster?  Seems to take me at least 3 days of an exercise to increase just 5 lbs.

are there accessory lifts that will help?  Should I add a 4 th day, if so, what should I do?   And I'm still running 12-15 mins week, does that hurt adding muscle?
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 11:52:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So I broke down and joined the Rec center with proper free weights.  I've been rolling 5x5 workout strictly for 7 weeks.  Not quite progressing like I was hoping.  Part of it is probably nutrition, part age (47).  Any tips on ways to advance faster?  Seems to take me at least 3 days of an exercise to increase just 5 lbs.

are there accessory lifts that will help?  Should I add a 4 th day, if so, what should I do?   And I'm still running 12-15 mins week, does that hurt adding muscle?
View Quote

You'll get a ton of opinions on this.

You need sufficient protein to build muscle.  Arguably, that amount is somewhere between .7 and 1.5grams of protein per pound of bodyweight every day. Whey and Casein protein will help get you there, but you need chicken, fish, lean pork in your diet.

Furthermore...you're naturally lean (lucky you).  You don't have a lot of fat stores for energy.  You need to eat at a caloric surplus.  

Are you supplementing your diet with amino acids?  Pre-workouts typically have all the BCAAs you need OR you can buy them separately.  In either case, I've found them to help with fatigue during and after working out, which allows me to push harder.  Leucine is fundamental to protein synthesis.  

Make sure you're getting enough sleep.  

As for your workout, I used 5x5 to build strength when I started before moving on to compound lifts + isolation exercises.  I've always gone to the gym 5 days a week and I'm careful to not overtrain and give muscles time to rebuild.  I can't comment on the running; some say heavy cardio can hurt gains/some say it doesn't matter. 5 days or 3 days; what's important is the intensity and volume of your workout.  I'd bet you're leaving some in the tank.  

I'm 45.  It's harder than it was 20 years ago and it takes longer to get results.  Just stay the course.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 12:26:42 PM EDT
[#12]
OP in regards to your latest questions, at your age you are just going to progress slower than someone two or three decades younger. Your T levels may have something to do with it as well. Eat big to get big, and yes, your running isn’t helping you add muscle and may be detrimental. It’s all up to what you want to prioritize. I would suggest checking out the Renaissance Periodization YouTube channel, some great info there from a bodybuilder who is also a PhD exercise scientist.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 7:22:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Thank you both for the input.  Definitely not getting enough sleep (kids, work, ex, the usual for many), but working on it.  And probably not eating "big" enough, though pushing more on that.  

Not really naturally lean, but years ago trained myself NOT to overeat because I was getting chubby and hated it.  Plus the running which helped when I quit drinking.  It is kind of funny to try to go against years of built in voluntary food restraint.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 8:39:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You need sufficient protein to build muscle.  Arguably, that amount is somewhere between .7 and 1.5grams of protein per pound of bodyweight every day. Whey and Casein protein will help get you there, but you need chicken, fish, lean pork in your diet.

Furthermore...you're naturally lean (lucky you).  You don't have a lot of fat stores for energy.  You need to eat at a caloric surplus.  

Are you supplementing your diet with amino acids?  Pre-workouts typically have all the BCAAs you need OR you can buy them separately.  In either case, I've found them to help with fatigue during and after working out, which allows me to push harder.  Leucine is fundamental to protein synthesis.  

As for your workout, I used 5x5 to build strength when I started before moving on to compound lifts + isolation exercises.  I've always gone to the gym 5 days a week and I'm careful to not overtrain and give muscles time to rebuild.  I can't comment on the running; some say heavy cardio can hurt gains/some say it doesn't matter. 5 days or 3 days; what's important is the intensity and volume of your workout.  I'd bet you're leaving some in the tank.  

I'm 45.  It's harder than it was 20 years ago and it takes longer to get results.  Just stay the course.
View Quote
Not doing any pre-workouts.  Never really looked at amino acid supplementation. Always figured biochem 201 implied if you eat a range of once living things that includes plants and animals, you'll be fine.  Is there something to non-protein supplements?   I can't seem to get myself to eat more than about 100 G protein/day.  Though to be fair I haven't really tracked it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 9:32:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not doing any pre-workouts.  Never really looked at amino acid supplementation. Always figured biochem 201 implied if you eat a range of once living things that includes plants and animals, you'll be fine.  Is there something to non-protein supplements?   I can't seem to get myself to eat more than about 100 G protein/day.  Though to be fair I haven't really tracked it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can tell you what worked for me.  

I went the recomp route.  I lost fat and added muscle, but it took a long time and I know there are more efficient methods.  

One of the truths I learned was the adage "eat big, get big" is very true.  I on the other hand ate at a steep deficit while strength/hypertrophy training...lots of fatigue, soreness, mental drain.  I added some lean mass, but it was a struggle to add or even maintain.  I do not recommend the route I took.

-you're lean already.  You need to fuel your body to add muscle.  Determine your BMR/TDEE and increase your caloric intake.  A whey protein shake before or right after your workout + A casein protein shake before bed will get you 100g of protein (and 400 calories of your calorie intake).  Add in lean protein like chicken breast, pork loin, fish for lunch/dinner, supplement with green veggies and brown/jasmine/basmati rice.  An 8oz chicken breast will net you another 70g of protein for example.

-amino acids.  I have found that BCAA powder is cheap (nutricost) and effective.  I also take l-citrulline, l-arginine, l-ornithine; these are also cheap and effective.  The BCAA powder really helps me with recovery, less soreness/DOMS, less long lasting fatigue.  The citrulline+arginine+ornithine have greatly improved my stamina during workouts; they act together to promote vasodilation and stimulate growth hormone production.  IIRC the citrulline, arginine, ornithine are about $12/bottle each, which gets you 3 months supply (nutricost).
-- I eat a balanced diet, but I'm also 45.  The above supplements have helped me push through some plateaus.  They're cheap, safe, studied, and effective.

-A packaged pre-workout isn't necessary.  Some folks drink coffee before the gym.  I leave for the gym at 3:45am, no time to make coffee.  I slug down my pre-workout and by the time I walk the dog and arrive at the gym, its kicking in.

Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:43:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I can tell you what worked for me.  

I went the recomp route.  I lost fat and added muscle, but it took a long time and I know there are more efficient methods.  

One of the truths I learned was the adage "eat big, get big" is very true.  I on the other hand ate at a steep deficit while strength/hypertrophy training...lots of fatigue, soreness, mental drain.  I added some lean mass, but it was a struggle to add or even maintain.  I do not recommend the route I took.

-you're lean already.  You need to fuel your body to add muscle.  Determine your BMR/TDEE and increase your caloric intake.  A whey protein shake before or right after your workout + A casein protein shake before bed will get you 100g of protein (and 400 calories of your calorie intake).  Add in lean protein like chicken breast, pork loin, fish for lunch/dinner, supplement with green veggies and brown/jasmine/basmati rice.  An 8oz chicken breast will net you another 70g of protein for example.

-amino acids.  I have found that BCAA powder is cheap (nutricost) and effective.  I also take l-citrulline, l-arginine, l-ornithine; these are also cheap and effective.  The BCAA powder really helps me with recovery, less soreness/DOMS, less long lasting fatigue.  The citrulline+arginine+ornithine have greatly improved my stamina during workouts; they act together to promote vasodilation and stimulate growth hormone production.  IIRC the citrulline, arginine, ornithine are about $12/bottle each, which gets you 3 months supply (nutricost).
-- I eat a balanced diet, but I'm also 45.  The above supplements have helped me push through some plateaus.  They're cheap, safe, studied, and effective.

-A packaged pre-workout isn't necessary.  Some folks drink coffee before the gym.  I leave for the gym at 3:45am, no time to make coffee.  I slug down my pre-workout and by the time I walk the dog and arrive at the gym, its kicking in.

View Quote

My addition to this will be that things like BCAA's are only really necessary if you aren't getting the proper protein intake. If you are, it's not going to hurt, but you're getting the stuff you need.

I do like red meat; some people avoid it but it has a lot of those Amino acids that you want.

The other thing that I don't see noted is CREATINE. Hit that. 5g a day, every day. Some people load to start, but it's not really a big deal, you'll get there eventually.

I also do a 'green' juice, because I'm aware that I probably don't eat enough vegetables. I do the Organifi, but there are others (Athletic Greens is the big advertiser). But if you get your veg regularly, it's probably fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top