Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2018 11:52:46 PM EDT
Work is talking about getting a work truck for me.  Fullsize as I carry multiple people and lots of gear.  4x4 for when we are out in the country.  The only problem is the budget is rather small.  If approved I will be allocated with 25K to go find a truck that works.  Only looking at used trucks of course..

So far looking through auto trader most 4x4s are out of that price range.  I have seen several Ram 1500 Tradesman and Express in that price range with low miles.

I haven't looked at trucks in probably 15 years.  Any one brand sticking out better than the other these days?
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:39:48 AM EDT
[#1]
1/2, 3/4, or 1 ton?

How old is too old?  Guessing since your work is footing the bill they are putting some strict requirements on this purchase.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 2:10:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I haven't gotten the particulars yet but I'm going to guess nothing more than 5 years old and not more than 60K mileage.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 2:24:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Try looking for the fleet/work truck versions rather than the passenger versions.  If the 5yrs no more than 60K stipulation is indeed the fact, that's probably going to be your only bet.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 2:35:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Who will own the truck ?
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 3:23:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who will own the truck ?
View Quote
The employer will own the truck but they will have me pick it out and go get it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 3:25:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Try looking for the fleet/work truck versions rather than the passenger versions.  If the 5yrs no more than 60K stipulation is indeed the fact, that's probably going to be your only bet.
View Quote
Isn't the Tradesman the work version of the Ram?
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 3:54:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Isn't the Tradesman the work version of the Ram?
View Quote
I think the tradesman is a trim level.  You can get a f150 2015-14 for about 25k.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 7:26:54 AM EDT
[#8]
A friend recently bought a dirt cheap Silverado that came from a dealership that buys from rental companies.  It was a 2013 with about 30k mi on it. I guess people dont rent too many pickups. Might be worth looking for something like that.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 4:09:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 4:30:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks for the links. The double cab and the Colorado won’t work for my job.

I was just curious if there was one brand better than the others right. or if it’s still all are the same
View Quote
you will find a million answers to that question.  My choice is GM or Ford....Ram seems to be getting a better and better rep these days though.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 4:37:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Tundra SR5 4x4 double cab is available meeting your criteria. Very spacious interior and super reliable truck with good off road capability.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 2:55:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Submit your max amount to dealerships you would be surprised sometimes what they can work out when companies are buying trucks
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:36:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm not looking for help finding a truck but if which of the full size are better than there others.

I'm out in California and 5 years and newer is pretty much Dodge out here.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:40:29 AM EDT
[#16]
How much cargo will you be hauling, how many people will routinely be in the truck, and how "offroad" are we talking (dirt road, dirt trail, no trail, etc.).
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:52:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How much cargo will you be hauling, how many people will routinely be in the truck, and how "offroad" are we talking (dirt road, dirt trail, no trail, etc.).
View Quote
I'll be running two to four people daily.  The bed will have a hard tonneau cover for the equipment.  Nothing super heavy just expensive and will need to be secure.  The off-roading will be dirt trails, dirts roads and farm land.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:55:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

you will find a million answers to that question.  My choice is GM or Ford....Ram seems to be getting a better and better rep these days though.
View Quote
Thanks, kind of what I figured but I haven't shopped for a truck since 04 and was just wanting to make sure there hasn't been any major fuck ups like Ford 6.0 diesel back when lol.

Although this will be a company truck and will be maintained by them I don't want to get something that is in the shop constantly like my current work car.  I am constantly swapping all of my gear from one car to another almost on a weekly basis.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 2:47:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'll be running two to four people daily.  The bed will have a hard tonneau cover for the equipment.  Nothing super heavy just expensive and will need to be secure.  The off-roading will be dirt trails, dirts roads and farm land.
View Quote
Have you considered a Tahoe or Suburban?  Security should be better than a truck with a tonneau cover.

4 adults means you're going to want a crew cab with 4 legitimate doors and a real back seat.  Sounds like a 1/2 ton is what you're looking for based on the payload requirement.

In the last year I've rented MY 2018 Dodge, GM & Ford 4wd 1/2 ton trucks for 1 week each and logged 500-1500 miles in each of them.  I'm 6'4" and I found all 3 to be comfortable and easy to drive.  I've also rented a loaded 2018 Suburban and put ~500 miles on it - pretty nice ride IMO.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the "Big 3" brands.

Try checking with some of the big corporate employers in your area that have fleet/pool cars to see if you can get one before they turn it on the lease or go directly to Element Fleet Management to see if you can buy directly from them.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 7:02:44 AM EDT
[#20]
You can get a lot of options for that much money. That puts you in the 8-10 year old window to get something decent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top