Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2022 9:18:08 AM EDT
Hit all reps on my working sets of bench press this morning.  3 x 5 with 260 lbs.  I’m about 165 lbs 47 years old.

I hit 255 on my 3 x 5 a few months ago then failed at 260 so I did a deload and worked back up.  Again I made 255 then failed at 260.  I did another deload and worked back up this time hitting all reps on my working sets with 260 lbs.  

Many years ago I hit 305 for one rep at 148 lbs, but I’ve never done working sets of 3 x 5 with 260.  I don’t do anything lower than 5 reps anymore unless I fail so I’m not sure if I could hit 305 again for a single even though I’m bigger now. If I remember correctly I hit the 305 after doing smolov jr and have never been over 300 since.  Different goals way back then.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 9:22:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats.  That's admirable. I'm stuck at 220.

Do you stick with the same exercises all the time or do you say, do dumbbells when you deload?
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congrats.  That's admirable. I'm stuck at 220.

Do you stick with the same exercises all the time or do you say, do dumbbells when you deload?
View Quote

I do a heavy day on Sunday morning and a light day in the middle of the week.  Heavy day is 3 x 5 working sets and light day is 3 x 10 working sets.  

I do dumbbell assistance work both days. Incline fly 15 reps superset with incline press to failure.  Two sets of that then decline press two sets of 15 reps.  Then two sets of body weight dips.  

During deload I go super light and reduce assistance for a week. I make a big jump up the second week and then start working up slowly from there for the next few weeks.  For me it usually ends up being about 6 weeks before a deload.  

I’m thinking about switching things up after this week, but haven’t made a plan yet.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 10:01:38 AM EDT
[#3]
That is awesome OP.

I'm the same weight and 49, so I know what it takes to get it done.  

I hit my wall @ 280x1.  

Had hoped to get closer to 300, but not happening for me in this lifetime.

Link Posted: 8/14/2022 11:09:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is awesome OP.

I'm the same weight and 49, so I know what it takes to get it done.  

I hit my wall @ 280x1.  

Had hoped to get closer to 300, but not happening for me in this lifetime.

View Quote

Thank you.

If only newbie gains kept going forever...lol.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 4:45:05 PM EDT
[#5]
That's one heck of a lift at your BW.

Congratulations man!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top