Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2019 1:37:43 PM EDT
Waiting on my Ender 3 Pro to arrive.  Just curious if these are relatively safe to leave unattended while at work?  What about in a room with a few jugs of gun powder?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 1:44:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 1:56:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.

I wonder if there's a way to contain it though?....Kinda like a campfire circle with a ring/stones so even if it did completely destroy itself, it wouldn't be able to act like an incendiary or travel to the drapes, cabinets, etc....and burn anything else, including the house, down?

If I set it up on sand bags maybe?

The camera idea isn't a bad one.  I work between 30 seconds and 10 min. from my home.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 1:58:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 2:04:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sheetrock enclosure I suppose.

There is honestly more of a chance that a mouse starts your house on fire though, provided you re-flash that firmware (if required on your printer, research that).

Octopi lets you even kill the print from anywhere, and you can rig up a solid state relay the pi can control and kill power to the whole thing.
View Quote
I was going to go the Ras Pi 4 route but about an hour ago I just downloaded Cura on my work desktop (college office) so that kinda takes the need away for printing itself.  Now if I go the camera route I don't mind throwing another $50-$100 for a Pi and camera.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 2:08:04 PM EDT
[#5]
You can also pretty easily set up a smoke alarm with an attached relay to kill power if the detector goes off.  Not very pricey w/ detector & relay totaling < $30 (you'd still need wire, extension cord, etc).

I did a write-up here with links to products: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3894912
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 2:22:00 PM EDT
[#6]
A lot of folks also do a thermistor upgrade on their printers, too. Some printers don't have them initially, or crappy ones. Properly set up, they'll detect thermal runaway and shut the device down.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 2:25:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Only off while the detector is going off, the relay resets shortly after the alarm event stops.  If the alarm goes off again, the relay opens again.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 3:07:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Know that Octopi doesn't work on 4, you need to keep it to a 3B+.
View Quote
FALSE

been running octopi on my 2gb raspberry 4b since i got my printer and works fine. now the camera on the other hand have yet to try.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 3:11:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 3:34:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They fix the stability issue of Octopi with 4, or have you just not had issues?

ETA: Current release has this:
OctoPiGuy Sheffer maintains "OctoPi", a Raspbian (and thus Debian) based SD card image for the Raspberry Pi that already includes OctoPrint plus everything you need to run it:

OctoPrint plus its dependencies
MJPG-Streamer for live viewing of prints and timelapse video creation, compatible with various USB webcams and the Raspberry Pi camera
CuraEngine 15.04 for slicing directly on your Raspberry Pi
Recommended hardware: Raspberry Pi 3B.

Please note that the Raspberry Pi Zero W is not recommended since severe performance issues were observed, caused by the WiFi interface when bandwidth is utilized (e.g. the webcam is streamed), negatively impacting printing results. See also here.

Image compatible with Raspberry Pi A, B, A+, B+, 2B, 3A+, 3B, 3B+, Zero and Zero W.Image not compatible with Raspberry Pi 4, test builds here!
View Quote
that last sentence links you to where you can download the beta image for octopi 4.   bee running it flawlessly for 3 weeks now and use it with my laptop to load prints, move the hot end around and everything. have yet to pick up a camera, may do that once off work today but that was what i was hearing for issues was the camera stuff.

longest print i have had has been little over 12 hours. usually tune everything off after im done printing.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 3:55:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 5:12:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You can also pretty easily set up a smoke alarm with an attached relay to kill power if the detector goes off.  Not very pricey w/ detector & relay totaling < $30 (you'd still need wire, extension cord, etc).

I did a write-up here with links to products: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3894912
View Quote
I actually like that idea....so long as fumes from the PLA+ or if I switch to nylon/abs doesn't set it off.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 6:11:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I have printed PLA, PLA+, PETG and TPU in the enclosure so far & no issues to date.  No idea about how Nylon or ABS would do.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 10:33:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So long as people know they are getting a beta version, possibly with serious problems. Beta stuff can be great, but especially with software, almost always has glitches.

If your newb, just want to setup and go, you should probably go for the latest stable combo.
View Quote
well got camera working just fine with the pi4. printing a 12hour print right now and no issues yet. even added the camera to my security system so i can record it from there if i want. just an easier way to see if i am out and about.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 10:43:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Have also seen where people build enclosures and mount one of those little thrown fire ball extinguishers over the printer. Fire starts, ball breaks, extinguishes fire. In theory, at least. Amazon has them.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 10:55:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 2:35:49 AM EDT
[#19]
You could just plan ahead. And only print when you're going to be around.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 8:10:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Tall and/or detailed prints at high resolution can often run 12 - 24 hours...
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 8:54:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Cool.

You using a pi camera or USB webcam?
View Quote
USB web cam. It's a Logitech c922.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 9:42:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Tall and/or detailed prints at high resolution can often run 12 - 24 hours...
View Quote
My longest print to date took 57 hours.  I printed a full bed plate of parts I was selling at the time. Risky venture if it failed, but thankfully it didn't. Decided it was better to build another printer and have two going with smaller/shorter build times than 1 maxed out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top